Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JuiceTerry

I just failed in Finglas which is my third attempt now.

10 Grade 2s - I feel it was unfair. If I only had two fewer strokes of the pen I would have passed.

Reaction to Hazzards - - this was speed bumps. I did everything correct here. There was a few delivery trucks blocking roads but I stopped in time and maneouvered around. Surprised to see this

Position Turning Right - I completed each turn smoothly. yet I have two ticks.

Progress at traffic lights. Green light, I was turning right no filter - there was traffic approaching me so I waited until it cleared. I got a tick for this.

Observation moving off - this was unfair, I conducted the necessary checks.

This time around no Grade 3s and I pulled off the turnabout and reversing around the corner smoothly.

I feel that the tester was overly harsh. I am a very smooth, safe and conscientious driver who has done many, many lessons.

So frustrating ............aghhhhhhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

JuiceTerry wrote: »
    Position Turning Right - I completed each turn smoothly. yet I have two ticks.
    Were you just left of the centre line as you approached the right-hand turns? I think that's mostly what position turning right is about - unless it includes fishtailing the turn (turning too late) or cutting into the opposite lane (too early).

Also re: observation moving off, what was your routine? After checking mirrors, blindspot and indicating, were you looking forwards again when moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

JuiceTerry wrote: »
    I just failed in Finglas which is my third attempt now.

10 Grade 2s - I feel it was unfair. If I only had two fewer strokes of the pen I would have passed.

This time around no Grade 3s and I pulled off the turnabout and reversing around the corner smoothly.

You are heading in the right direction anyway, when you pass you will probably get zero marks. You will be able to look back at your previous exams and realise that you are a better driver now than then, the same can be said of the future exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Got 20 grade 2s and a grade 3. Oops! In my defence, my test came through far too quickly. I thought I'd have until April to prepare. And I'm only doing lessons. It doesn't seem fair cos there's so many driving around on L plates getting loads of driving experience while I'm doing it by the law and paying good money for lessons which are expensive.

1 thing annoyed me- when approaching a roundabout, the tester told me to go straight through. This roundabout had was Y shape (3 exits in total). So I understood the 'go straight through' as second exit when she meant first. Got grade 3 for that.

kaji wrote: »
    1 thing annoyed me- when approaching a roundabout, the tester told me to go straight through. This roundabout had was Y shape (3 exits in total). So I understood the 'go straight through' as second exit when she meant first. Got grade 3 for that.
    That's annoying alright. It's always good to clarify their instructions if there's any possibility of miscommunication tho - so if they say "take a left up ahead" you can answer "okay, next left", ditto in this case if she said "go straight through" you can answer "okay, second exit" and if the tester is in any way sensible they'll instantly clarify.

• Advertisement

kaji wrote: »
    Got 20 grade 2s and a grade 3. Oops! In my defence, my test came through far too quickly. I thought I'd have until April to prepare. And I'm only doing lessons. It doesn't seem fair cos there's so many driving around on L plates getting loads of driving experience while I'm doing it by the law and paying good money for lessons which are expensive.

I generally tend to stick up for the testers in here but that is very unfair if correct. A tester will not give you a grade 3 for not following their instructions. A grade 3 is for severe dangerous driving, was there other things you failed to do, were you consistently not doing as asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Failed for the third time, aced the turnabout, reverse, etc. but I got several grade 2's for positioning and observation :confused: <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lydiabehan

failed in wicklow today. got 7 grade 2's and 1 grade 3. I got the grade 3 for observation turning right. although they don't tell you where it happened of course, i think i know when it happened.

Turning into road on my right, there was a mum and teenager chatting on the corner (which was to my left as i turned - they weren't standing, waiting to cross.just having a chat ). just as i was turning, the teenager turned around and went to cross the road but her mum pulled her back (because she hadn't looked where she was going). i saw her do this,slowed a bit but figured that as the mum had the girl by the scruff of the neck, that it was safe to continue......obviously not....... should I have stopped in the middle of the turn? the girl didn't even step off the path

most of the grade 2's were for observation, including one on the reverse. I stopped to check my mirrors taking off, just before i turned, halfway through the turn and on the straight back. not a single car passed in any direction during the turn so no idea how i managed to get a grade 2 for observation!

I've applied for another test but any tips how to improve on observation?

Thanks

lydiabehan wrote: »
    most of the grade 2's were for observation, including one on the reverse. I stopped to check my mirrors taking off, just before i turned, halfway through the turn and on the straight back. not a single car passed in any direction during the turn so no idea how i managed to get a grade 2 for observation!

I've applied for another test but any tips how to improve on observation
    Did you check out the windows as well? When I did the reverse, at the same points where you stopped to do extra observation, I started from over my right shoulder (blindspot), and basically rotated my head all the way around to look over my left shoulder out the back window, checking every window and mirror along the way. Good to try to get a complete picture of what's behind you and around you (and even in front), since it's harder to see what's happening while you're moving (generally just looking in the rear-view mirror and left/right side mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lydiabehan

yep, I checked mirrors, blindspots, back window each time I stopped to do the observation. He must not have seen me check each of them but even still, isn't a grade 2 a bit harsh when there's no cars around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Tommie Kelly

Just failed in Dundalk, Observation on turning right and position over taking parked vehicle. That's all he would tell me, didn't explain to me where it happened just told me to ask my instructor ( as If he could fill me in)

NOTE: Tester took me on a route that wasn't one of the usual routes used in Dundalk. My instructor said it hasn't been used in 5 or 6 years. Obvioulsy we hadn't covered in in my lessons and I wasn't familar with it, lots of road works and my turnaround was done on a tiny tiny road (However I didn't get any marks against me for that.)

I'm not blaming this for my failure, but it definetly didn't help my nerves.

So watch out, it's all good and well knowing the offical routes but the Tester mightn't take you on any of them.

Nerves may well have been a factor due to the lack of familiarity, but every new road will present that problem when you pass.

Additionally just to dispel the myth, there are no official routes, you can be brought anywhere!

tba wrote: »
    Nerves may well have been a factor due to the lack of familiarity, but every new road will present that problem when you pass.

Very True
    tba wrote: »
    Additionally just to dispel the myth, there are no official routes, you can be brought anywhere!

Well, I know that now! :) They should tell my instructor that though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janet28

failed today in Rathgar. 2nd time to sit it. 1st times failed miserably so I had no chance as I was very nervous and not enough experience. This time however thought I would be fine. Except I failed with 12 grade 2s, all random problems but had 4 on the gears. thought it went pretty well before i was told that. any idea why they mark you on the gears??

Being in the wrong gear for junctions/roundabouts. Not changing quick enough or being too slow in going up or down the gears. Going into the wrong gear by mistake.

I think it's an absolute joke that the testers don't have to tell you exactly what you did wrong or where it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

Failed for the second time in Churchtown. Grade 3 for hitting the kerb during the reverse around the corner. Went really well otherwise, only a few grade 2's and the tester was very nice.

Very annoyed now but I'm confident it'll be third time lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I also failed in Rathgar this morning. It was my first time so I kind of expected it. Got about 17 grade 2's and a scattering of grade 1's. 7 grade 2's in observation in particular for changing lane. Took a few right hand turns way too wide as well which explains a few others.

The tester was really sound, spent about 10mins after the test explaining where I went wrong. I'll get more lessons and re-apply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janet28

yeah my tester just asked me what I normally drove, and then said i wasnt used to the car. Which he didnt mark on the sheet as he failed me over the gears. very frustrating as was a vast improvement from my 1st go

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

3rd time and you guessed it fail.

Done it in rathgar, Instructor was really nice bloke. 14 Grade 2's in total. (oddly turning left and right at speed??) completely different set of fails to the last two tests :)

think its time to pack up, go back to germany and use my full german licence fwiw :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Cryos wrote: »
    3rd time and you guessed it fail.

Done it in rathgar, Instructor was really nice bloke. 14 Grade 2's in total. (oddly turning left and right at speed??) completely different set of fails to the last two tests :)

think its time to pack up, go back to germany and use my full german licence fwiw :(

Test is a disgrace my friend, do you mind me asking do you have no claims ?

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Certainly, i have no claims, never been in an accident, ive had my own insurance since 2006 when i baught my jetta.

Effectivly looking at it, here is a summery:

I cant turn at speed, i cant turn at low speed, I am not observant when reversing, i cannot pull away from a stop, i dont use the mirrors (i presume?).

In short, i cant drive.

Its a wonder i make it from Wicklow to Clonskeagh D4 everyday.... alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Cryos wrote: »

Your German licence is an EU one just like ours so why are you trying to get an Irish one? :confused:
    Also, German training and testing is way ahead of our system

kazul wrote: »
    Your German licence is an EU one just like ours so why are you trying to get an Irish one? :confused:
    Also, German training and testing is way ahead of our system

Yeh i had looked into that and technically i can as a European, however the gardai on the ground seem to think differently. The hassle and delay it causes when you come to a checkpoint and you produce the german license is just not funny, they take an odd view; Your an irish person, resident in ireland with a german license.

The german test and lead up process is Intense and expensive. 20 something hours of tuition from the Fahrschule (included everything really Day, Night and motorway driving) and a theory that would rival the prep for a leaving or junior cert!

Do you have any links to like official docs that clearly state it ? Because it sounds like its a bit like the whole VRT situation and how its suppose to be gone but is still there...

:) Ireland, we are selectivly european.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Can't you just exchange your German licence for a full Irish licence? Seems a bit ridiculous if you have to re-sit the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Cyros, you shouldn't have to resit the test, you should simply apply for a full irish license using your current full German one.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

Thanks jaffa! Ive printed this out and ill be going to tax office on monday :) Thanks for all the direction guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cryos, I did this with my French licence, but be aware that you're required to surrender the original licence, presumably to avoid people using their 'foreign' one to avoid penalty points, endorsements, etc.
    If you are driving on a foreign driving licence in Ireland and acquire penalty points here, you will receive the normal statutory fine but the penalty points will not be added to your foreign driving licence.

Thanks for all the advise guys, handed in my license and waiting the new full one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Failed for the third time at Finglas today. I'm so upset :( I seem to be getting progressively worse each time I do the test. The instructor was really nice telling me where I went wrong but I could feel the tears filling up so I just took the test sheet and legged it out of there. I really need to pass, so I think I'm putting myself under too much pressure, or else I'm just a rubbish driver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

I think you don't cope with the pressure that well, that's why you failed, for silly mistakes, isn't it ?

Advertisement