Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EoinG

^ Thank you! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for all the really helpful replies!
    zynaps wrote: »
    The fact that you had no grade 2s for reaction to hazards tells me you're a very good driver. It seems that it's one of the hardest things to nail down when learning. 4 marks for progress on the straight - would be good to know exactly what the context of that was, maybe just hanging back a bit further than necessary?
    Thanks! As far as I know, it was driving a bit under the speed limit, especially in the 80km/h sections of the test route (Dundalk). I think I was being over-careful, due to test conditions. On normal driving (i.e. no tester with a clipboard), I usually am going in or around the speed limit, and keeping up with traffic.
    tba wrote: »
    @**Timbuk2** where was your test? Failure to make progress on the straight can mean that you were driving significantly slower than the speed limit when no hazards were present. Good result apart from that.

Position turning right is an easy one to nail, get your instructor to run that by you first.
    Thanks! The test was in Dundalk. I'll work on the progress on the straight - it's an easy fault to improve, as it doesn't take a major change to my driving style to fix it!
    I advised you on the roundabout & turning right observation already so Position Turning Right. Make sure you stay close the the centre of the road, just to the left of the white line. If turning right into a side street you should not steer right until your front wheels are level with the dividing line of the road you are about to turn into....this is called your Point of Turn. Doing this will ensure that you do not cut the corner of the stop/yield line. On a right turn of this kind it generally takes 1 full turn of the wheel to get you round. If you steer less or start your turn after the dividing line you will have to adjust your steering again, this is called swan-necking. It's when you take the turn too wide and have to correct it to get back into the correct position. Another common turning right issue can be when emerging from a junction/side road into another road. If you steer too early and drive across the oncoming lane you will get penalised. This turn should be broken in two. Drive out from the stop/yield line and as the road centre line disappears out of view from the front of your car, turn the wheel.

Progress on the Straight: This is basically not maintaining a reasonable distance behind the car in front or delaying the progress of following traffic by not keeping to the speed limit where possible. My advice here is, when possible, and the road ahead is clear drive at the speed limit and not below. If the traffic in front is driving below the speed limit ensure you maintain a suitable gap (2 secs in dry conditions). In other words unless the car in front is speeding excessively (more than 10%) maintain the gap.

Progress turning left or right: This is generally marked when a pupil has not taken an appropriate gap in the traffic to make a left or right turn or slowing the car down too much after being told to make a turn.
    The first part is down to judgement and you will grasp this the more you practice. It's a case of thinking, "If I pull out here am I likely to cause the oncoming car to brake?" If the answer is yes, you stay put.
    The second part is about maintaining progress, braking a bit more gently on the approach and changing down to 2nd only when you get close to the turn. You ADI will explain this in the car where it's simpler to explain.

Clutch: Looks like you've probably been coasting at some point. Move you foot away from the clutch pedal unless you are changing gears. Try not to use it as a foot rest.

Competency on your turnabout: Did you do any of this?

Hit or bumped a kerb, went too slow across or too fast or didn't use the controls properly like handbrake, footbrake, steering etc? How many turns did it take? Where you the person who did it in 5 but think you could have done it in 3?

Thanks a million for your very detailed and helpful reply! Yes, I was the person that did the turnabout in 5 where it probably would have been possible in 3. I think my problem came from not being positive about the physical dimensions of the car. I'm going to practice that a bit over the coming weeks, but maybe getting out of the car while doing it to see how close I actually am to the curb, and that might give me a better idea of how far I can reverse back until I stop!

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Thanks! As far as I know, it was driving a bit under the speed limit, especially in the 80km/h sections of the test route (Dundalk). I think I was being over-careful, due to test conditions. On normal driving (i.e. no tester with a clipboard), I usually am going in or around the speed limit, and keeping up with traffic.

Naughty, naughty!! I think I told you not to do that :D

Thanks! The test was in Dundalk. I'll work on the progress on the straight - it's an easy fault to improve, as it doesn't take a major change to my driving style to fix it!

Thanks a million for your very detailed and helpful reply! Yes, I was the person that did the turnabout in 5 where it probably would have been possible in 3. I think my problem came from not being positive about the physical dimensions of the car. I'm going to practice that a bit over the coming weeks, but maybe getting out of the car while doing it to see how close I actually am to the curb, and that might give me a better idea of how far I can reverse back until I stop!

See, now you're thinking!!! You'd be a good pupil to teach. Willing to learn, think about things on your own and not scared to ask questions. Try that, go somewhere quiet at night and give it a go. Maybe around the FÁS Training Centre would be good enough if you are near Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I still can't truly figure out why I got 2 grade 1's and 3 grade 2's for gears.

When I was driving around the residential estate, I was in 3rd gear mostly and I went over most of the speed bumps in 3rd. Is this why I got all those grade faults?
    My instructor never told me it was anything wrong to do...

Or is it cause I was leaving it too long before I change gears?
    Like usually when taking a turn, you move off in 1st and I usually stay in 1st till I've completed the turn, cuz changing midway through the turn becomes a lot to do. Though if its a long turn, like on a dual carrageway, I do change gear midway through the turn.
    And its not that I'm revving the car upto 3k-4k rpm before I change gears... I change gears pretty soon and 90% of my gear changes are super smooth, you barely feel the change...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think its good to just drive at, or slightly over the speed limit than below it. I didn't really care too much about the speed limit during my test, I wasn't speeding or anything, but I just didn't bother to keep my car below the speed limit all the time. And I didn't get any faults for progress on straight. The only fault I got for progress was for turning left, which I think I know where I got that fault. But there were road works going on so I was being a bit extra careful. Now that was hardly fair was it!

And I did my turnabout in about 5ish turns...
    Well, while turning the car around to face the way I came from, i.e. the 3rd turn, I wasn't sure if the car if the car would make it without hitting the curb, I was almost there and perilously close to the curb, so I put it in reverse, pulled back, and turned around keeping a good distance from the curb. I got a grade 1 fault for competency for that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

General moan :)

I did my test for the first time yesterday and failed (12 g2s). My progress, signals, reverse, turnabout and reaction to hazards were all perfect. I failed on positioning, observation and clearance to parked cars (1 g2) so I'm kicking myself now. It really was a horrible test route - I was driving just as all the schools in Finglas were letting out so I had kids running across the road, parents pulling up without any warning and people reversing round corners towards me all of which I handled fine.

Oh well, maybe next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Cool, fair enough. Have scrutinized my result sheet and taking a fresh approach for the next test. I'll use a cool head when posting next time.
    Till the next test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

tba wrote: »
    @john47832 Just put the head down and drive your socks off on the test day, pass it and you will feel better for it.

If you can't do that then I'm afraid you are just not destined to be a driver.

Not destined to be a driver ? But I am a driver, I drive to and from work every day, city centre kinda stuff, scraping paint off 50k BMW's kinda stuff ;)

I'm sorry but I just dont see the point as I have already stated, I sat 1 test, got 7 gd 2s and 1 gd 1 - methinks - 7 not so bad ones and 1 bad one for which i accept full responsibility, I missed right turn and improvised ;) which should have really have gotten me extra points but tester didnt seem to appreciate at all - what more can a man do ?

that better not be aimed at me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

john47832 wrote: »
    Not destined to be a driver ? But I am a driver, I drive to and from work every day, city centre kinda stuff, scraping paint off 50k BMW's kinda stuff ;)

But you haven't proved you are competent.
    I'm sorry but I just dont see the point as I have already stated, I sat 1 test, got 7 gd 2s and 1 gd 1 - methinks - 7 not so bad ones and 1 bad one for which i accept full responsibility, I missed right turn and improvised ;) which should have really have gotten me extra points but tester didnt seem to appreciate at all - what more can a man do ?

The point is to prove you are competent - you have not done this. It's the only system in place and it's not that rigorous (as you've pointed out - there is no motorway element). The only thing you can do is re-apply, re-sit and hopefully prove that you are capable. Despite your own opinion you've proved nothing until you pass the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I failed my test in tipp town in november,passed it in february in the same town....

Did my driving improve in those few months? NO
    Did i drive any differently second time around? NO

If i were to drive every day like i did in the test (looking over my shoulder,looking in every feckin mirror),i'd have written off my car by now...

It's a joke, like a lottery!

PS i know many many people who are far better drivers than i am,who have yet to pass the test!

Oh and wouldn't it be illegal to reverse around a corner?

Rant over lol

mariaf24 wrote: »
    I failed my test in tipp town in november,passed it in february in the same town....

If i were to drive every day like i did in the test (looking over my shoulder,looking in every feckin mirror),i'd have written off my car by now...

It's a joke, like a lottery!

PS i know many many people who are far better drivers than i am,who have yet to pass the test!

Oh and wouldn't it be illegal to reverse around a corner?

Rant over lol

Jesus wept :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Jesus wept?

Guh?

Jesus wept?

Guh?

Ok

Not looking in your mirrors and not observing properly is a sure fire way to write you car off at some stage or other.

It's not illegal to reverse around a corner. You shouldn't reverse from a side road into a main road but a tester will never ask you to do so.

Ok

Not looking in your mirrors and not observing properly is a sure fire way to write you car off at some stage or other.

It's not illegal to reverse around a corner. You shouldn't reverse from a side road into a main road but a tester will never ask you to do so.

i would also like to add - improvisation is frowned upon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

i would also like to add - improvisation is frowned upon :(

Going by your earlier post I think your definition of 'improvisation' was considered dangerous or potentially dangerous driving by the examiner!

What is expected on the test is clearly defined and documented. If you cant drive for 20-25 mins following this system then I'm afraid you wont pass - its as simple as that. Now some people will get nervous on the day and make mistakes which is allowed for (you can make up to 8!) but someone who completely ignores the 'system' is almost certain to fail. True, the system isnt perfect and it is subjective on the part of the examiner but most of time they get it right based on what they see on the day (doesnt matter how you drove the day before or the day after!)

BTW remember a driving licence is a priviledge not a right.

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Going by your earlier post I think your definition of 'improvisation' was considered dangerous or potentially dangerous driving by the examiner!

What is expected on the test is clearly defined and documented. If you cant drive for 20-25 mins following this system then I'm afraid you wont pass - its as simple as that. Now some people will get nervous on the day and make mistakes which is allowed for (you can make up to 8!) but someone who completely ignores the 'system' is almost certain to fail. True, the system isnt perfect and it is subjective on the part of the examiner but most of time they get it right based on what they see on the day (doesnt matter how you drove the day before or the day after!)

As a new ADI coming into the industry and relatively new member of this forum, some of the things you hear and some things posted on here regarding people's attitudes would make your toe nails curl.

It'll be years before we see a major shift of attitude and responsibility in this country in relation to learning to drive properly and legally

As a new ADI coming into the industry and relatively new member of this forum, some of the things you hear and some things posted on here regarding people's attitudes would make your toe nails curl.

It'll be years before we see a major shift of attitude and responsibility in this country in relation to learning to drive properly and legally

@MascotDec85 - not sure if you comments above are directed at my post which you quote or the previous posts in the thread.

In any case, apologies if my post offended anyone or made toe nails curl...was definitely not the intention.

@MascotDec85 - not sure if you comments above are directed at my post which you quote or the previous posts in the thread.

In any case, apologies if my post offended anyone or made toe nails curl...was definitely not the intention.

No DS, it wasn't directed at you ;)

It was a general comment regarding the attitude of some learner's out there.

My post was supporting yours which I quoted

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

hang on while i get the sick bucket out

well actually everybody above a certain age has a right to a driving licence

well actually everybody above a certain age has a right to a driving licence

IF they go out, put in the effort and earn it

IF they go out, put in the effort and earn it

or they can just get a provisional - same thing

Actually you're wrong, everyone is intitled to a 'Learner Permit' you've got to earn the right for the licence :)

We could ping-pong for hours here but I dont think it would help anyone who is really interested in learning to drive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

john,

the test system we have here isnt the best but its only thing we have. it took me 3 attempts to pass but i did.

test 1: deserved to fail, had only been driving a few months, had a nightmare of a test. came on a major accident, 4 car, 2 fire engines, ambulances the works, rub the curb on my reverse, had a huge lorry decide to cross over on to my side of the road for no reason.

didnt do another test for 3 years.

test 2: thought i nailed the test - did everything perfect. failed because i was in the wrong gear going over speed ramps.

test 3: passed - no way did i deserve to pass the test, i forgot how to drive in the middle of the test, overtook a bus, chased an amber light, was coasting , reversed around the corner but ended up in the middle of the road.

now, my OH took 12 lessons in February no other driving or practice driving and passed first time - did i feel safe in the car with him? no, he hadnt got the confidence or the knowledge. he is much better now and is flying around .

JUST SUCK IT UP AND DO THE TEST .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

irishbird wrote: »
    john,

the test system we have here isnt the best but its only thing we have. it took me 3 attempts to pass but i did.

test 1: deserved to fail, had only been driving a few months, had a nightmare of a test. came on a major accident, 4 car, 2 fire engines, ambulances the works, rub the curb on my reverse, had a huge lorry decide to cross over on to my side of the road for no reason.

didnt do another test for 3 years.

test 2: thought i nailed the test - did everything perfect. failed because i was in the wrong gear going over speed ramps.

test 3: passed - no way did i deserve to pass the test, i forgot how to drive in the middle of the test, overtook a bus, chased an amber light, was coasting , reversed around the corner but ended up in the middle of the road.

now, my OH took 12 lessons in February no other driving or practice driving and passed first time - did i feel safe in the car with him? no, he hadnt got the confidence or the knowledge. he is much better now and is flying around .

JUST SUCK IT UP AND DO THE TEST .

i don't think he took the result of his test well... but what do i know? i've only been driving for a few months, passed the test first time, and still has to learn some about driving

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

No, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

It's a ...

Bloody hellfire...I find that terrifying...as a recent pass in the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Had my test today.. been driving for a year.

Drove perfectly. 16 grade 2's. ZERO grade 3's. 6 grade 1's

Guy said I wasn't checking my mirrors. I checked my mirrors every ten seconds. I made a point of doing this. Guy said I missed hazards.. I asked him what hazards I missed. He couldn't tell me.. Never clipped a corner, indicated when I had to go over the line, aced the reversing around the corner. Didn't put a <SNIP> foot wrong. I'm really struggling to even think what he might've caught me for.

Time to wait another 10 weeks for an appointment that'll be a month away. And another 75 quid.. for god only knows what result, because tbh I thought I drove perfectly. And I had a pre-test last Friday just to be on the safe side.

I hope the government sticks these <SNIP> on the chopping block next. Can't believe I pay for a car, the fuel, the insurance, and then I have to pay for some <SNIP> to tell me I'm not checking my mirrors when I <SNIP> am.

<SNIP> ridiculous, the most crooked, bent system I've ever come across in my life. They should lose the grade 2's. Either your a safe driver and get 0 grade 3's and are able to drive, or you fail. None of this stupid <SNIP> of, "Well I thought you weren't checking your mirrors". <SNIP>

Advertisement