Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

@thomashood10 - sorry it didnt go well and it is understandable to be upset. If you want to post up more details on the specific 16 faults I'm sure people will be able to give some advice.

A couple of things jump out from your post :
    I checked my mirrors every ten seconds

The timing is irrelevant to be honest, there is no set time limit on when you need to check your mirrors. Its true you should be scanning them regularly especially driving along a straight road but more importantly on the test they are looking for you to use your mirrors correctly at the appropriate times its not just about constantly checking them.
    And I had a pre-test last Friday just to be on the safe side.

What was the feedback from this ? One thing to remember is unless you have been doing lessons coming up to the pre-test then once you tell the instructor that your test is in 2 days time or whatever he/she will tend to be lenient on you - needs to instill confidence not shatter it by telling someone they will almost certainly fail (even if the instructor believes that). If someone only has 1-2 days before a test and has significant issues the instructor will try and fix the main ones but you cant perform miracles in a short time and it takes time to eliminate bad habits which may have been learnt over several months.

Dont give up and best of luck with the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

I'm more upset at the system to be honest. These tests cost a fortune and it takes forever to book one. I can't understand how they can offer FÁS courses for free yet provide none of this for free.

The instructor said I was fine. There was a few things I had to work on, but I didn't do any of these bad habits during the test. There were no Grade 2's under the operation of the vehicle or anything. I got 3 gr.2's in reaction to hazards, which perplexes me as I reacted to everything I saw. There were a few dotted throughout left turns and right turns

I definitely used my mirrors at the appropriate times, and correctly. I mean, how do you use a mirror incorrectly? I checked my blindspots etc etc. I was reasonably cautious, and I didn't get marked for lack of progression.

It all seems ridiculously anal, we're driving cars here not flying F14s. I'm paying the damn RSA to make me a safe driver, not a Formula 1 driver.

Had to laugh when he put on his goddamn sunglasses.

I'm ragin atm here obviously, but really, I drove perfectly safely. There was no chance of me hitting anyone, and I got no grade 3's as I said. I don't see why I shouldn't hold a full license. But then I guess they'd be out of another 75 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

You sound really frustrated. Sorry you didn't pass. Keep the chin up.
    I got 3 gr.2's in reaction to hazards, which perplexes me as I reacted to everything I saw.

There are numerous things you can get marked for under React to Hazards - React promptly and properly to hazards. They are listed here, can you remember anything from this list?:
    Examples of ‘React’ faults include:
    (a) Where an applicant is driving towards parked vehicles on the left, and does not move out in good
    time to pass them.
    (b) Where an applicant meets an oncoming vehicle which is in the process of overtaking, and the
    applicant does not slow or stop as necessary, to allow the oncoming vehicle to pass by.
    (c) Where an applicant’s vision is diverted down to the controls for an extended period.
    (d) Where an applicant brakes hard on an amber light when the vehicle should properly have carried
    on.
    (e) Where an applicant drives into, or causes, or contributes unnecessarily to a ‘bottleneck’.
    (f) Where an applicant intends to turn from a major road into a minor or narrow road, and obliges a
    vehicle which intends to emerge from that road to reverse out of the way.
    (g) Where an applicant is in a line of overtaking vehicles, and follows through blindly.
    (h) Where an applicant is approaching children who may be playing, or pedestrians, and does not
    show anticipation.
    (i) Where an applicant is approaching animals and does not show anticipation.
    (j) Where an applicant approaches traffic lights which have been green for some time, and does not
    show anticipation.
    (k) Where an applicant makes exaggerated use of the mirror(s) which distracts from forward
    observation.
    (l) Where an applicant makes exaggerated/unnecessary observations to the side or rear, which
    distracts from forward observation.
    (m) Where an applicant is on a slip-road, and intends to join a dual-carriageway, and stops
    unnecessarily.
    (n) Where an applicant splashes pedestrians with surface water.
    (o) Where an applicant is turning right and misreads the intention of another oncoming road user who
    is also turning right, and causes unnecessary obstruction.
    (p) Where an applicant’s forward visibility is restricted by condensation.
    (q) Where an applicant stops unnecessarily when e.g. turning left onto a slip lane by misreading the
    main lights.
    (r) Where an applicant has commenced to turn at traffic lights and stops unnecessarily when part way
    through, on seeing the red light for the other road.
    (s) Where an applicant does not react correctly to speed ramps.

That list isn't exhaustive but is an indication of what they are looking for.

I definitely used my mirrors at the appropriate times, and correctly. I mean, how do you use a mirror incorrectly?

Hard to comment here, you say you used them at appropriate times, that's fine. However, it may be that you aren't using them at times cos maybe you don't know that you should - just a suggestion to try and identify why you got marked. You can be marked for using mirrors too early or too late for example but some times pupils don't know that you should use them like this:

Left mirror when leaving a roundabout when cancelling the indicator.
    Left mirror just prior to turning left.
    Right mirror just prior to turning right

Were you marked under Mirrors or Observation?

As I said, that's a few examples so we can possibly help you understand what happened and how to improve on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bermuda

Sad now!

Failed the test today in Tallaght.

:(

10 grade 2 faults; majority of which were in the area of Vehicle Controls under Clutch, Gears and Handbrake (mainly Clutch - not quite sure what I was doing wrong).

Will reapply tonight again....

• Advertisement

bermuda wrote: »
    Sad now!

10 grade 2 faults; majority of which were in the area of Vehicle Controls under Clutch, Gears and Handbrake (mainly Clutch - not quite sure what I was doing wrong).

Unlucky :(

It sounds like you are possibly coasting (resting your left foot on the clutch when driving or partially pressing the clutch when driving) and/or not pressing the clutch in fully. Did you crunch any gears?

An example of a gear fault would be driving too long in a gear so, staying in 2nd and not changing up to 3rd for example. Another example would be when changing down from 4th you'd push the gear stick into 3rd but not actually lift the clutch to let 3rd engage then go into 2nd.

This is from the RSA and might help you understand the faults they look for:
    Examples of ‘Vehicle Control’ faults include:
    (a) Accelerator: not applied properly or at the correct time, or excessive use for the conditions.
    (b) Clutch: coasting, i.e. driving for a prolonged distance with the pedal pressed in or sharp engagements causing the vehicle to jerk unnecessarily or resting the foot on the clutch pedal for prolonged periods causing it to slip or attempting to change gears without using the clutch.
    (c) Gears: selecting an incorrect gear, or coasting, i.e. driving for some distance in neutral, or driving for a prolonged distance in an incorrect gear.
    (d) Footbrake: non application of the footbrake, unnecessarily sharp application or late application for the circumstances.
    (e) Handbrake: not applied as appropriate on an incline, or during a prolonged stop in traffic, or being applied before the vehicle has come to a halt, or inadequate application, or attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged.

Your faults seem to be things that can be easily fixed once properly identified. You haven't got any of the usual observation, progress, position or reaction to hazards.

It's a case of using the clutch properly and changing gears at the appropriate time according to your speed. The engine tone is the key indicator here.

Did you have any lessons with an ADI prior to your test. If so what was his/her thoughts on your driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

bermuda wrote: »
    Sad now!

how many grade 2's are you allowed?

john47832 wrote: »
    how many grade 2's are you allowed?

4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect.
    6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading.
    9 or more grade 2 faults overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

...is a fail. So you're allowed one less than these... ;)

zynaps wrote: »
    ...is a fail. So you're allowed one less than these... ;)

Thought I was back at school for a minute there :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect. = 4
    6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading = 6

6 + 4 = 10

9 or more grade 2 faults overall ??

john47832 wrote: »
    4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect. = 4
    6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading = 6

6 + 4 = 10

9 or more grade 2 faults overall ??

If you get 9 Grade 2 faults you will fail

You will also fail if you get 5 Grade 2 faults but 4 of them are for the same aspect eg. 4 Grade 2 for "Position turning Left" will cause you to fail.

You will also fail if you get 7 Grade 2's but 6 of them are under the same heading eg. Observation.

In other words there are varying numbers of Grade 2's which could cause you to fail depending on where the faults occur.

If you go back a few pages on this thread you'll see the Tester's Marking Sheet and will see what I mean

Couldn't see the test sheet.

Here's one I made and use:

testsheet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Had my first test today.

Wow, had no clue they ask you about hand signals during the test, had 10 lessons with three different instructors and not one of them mentioned this to me :rolleyes:

Got two mark 3's, one for not giving right of way (the car to my right was very far away,he would not have to slow down, and he still marked me)

And another for observations at cross junctions? not sure what I did wrong there?

I got 4 mark 2's for observation when turning right...looked in my right mirror, I looked left and right on the road...what am I doing wrong?

Also I got three mark 2's for reaction to hazards, what are classed as hazards? because I don't remember seeing any. edit: seen the above post :)

28 mark 2 faults, and my instructor said I was fine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

ShaneU wrote: »
    And another for observations at cross junctions? not sure what I did wrong there? I got 4 mark 2's for observation when turning right...looked in my right mirror, I looked left and right on the road...what am I doing wrong?

When you're turning right, IIRC you have to look right and left before moving off and then when you're in the middle of your turn, you need to look left again to make sure someone hasn't come through the lights/junction.
    Also I got thee mark 2's for reaction to hazards, what are classed as hazards? because I don't remember seeing any.

Parked cars on the side of the road with a pedestrian waiting to jump out from behind. Pedestrians standing closed to the end of the road. Parked cars with a car coming in the opposite direction.

markpb wrote: »
    Parked cars on the side of the road with a pedestrian waiting to jump out from behind. Pedestrians standing closed to the end of the road. Parked cars with a car coming in the opposite direction.
    These are definitely the most common and important ones... a few more:
    • A taxi that's probably about to pull out in front of you even though you know he shouldn't
    • an oncoming bus crossing the middle line on a narrow road (or with parked cars, e.g. Collins Avenue at Donnycarney, north Dublin) and leaving you hardly any space
    • a cyclist up ahead who's going to have to pull out around a parked car/obstacle (maybe at the last minute - cyclists don't like pulling out in front of traffic, but OTOH some drivers seem to imagine that the cyclist will just float over the obstacles in his way and are surprised when they do pull out)
    • a car reversing out from a driveway (friend got a grade 3 for this)
    • a car that looks parked but the driver is unhappy about something and suddenly pulls out onto the road and back in again 10 metres away without indicating (this happens a lot when parents are picking up kids from school).

When you start driving, there's a couple of stages of getting used to this (as I remember it, anyway):
    1. No awareness: First you don't notice much going on because you're concentrating on moving the car, changing gears, watching road position etc.
    2. Awareness and inaction: After a little while, you start to notice when things are a bit "dodgy" but don't know how to respond (at least, not quickly enough) and just push through the situation and think to yourself "hey, that could have gone better"
    3. Awareness and action: As more time goes by, you encounter lots of these situations and your subconscious starts to take over, reacting to these hazards almost without thinking about it.
    You probably already have a good sense of when something is a bit dodgy - a kind of tense uneasiness. The last step is probably the hardest (and is never complete), drilling the right responses into your subconscious, but you're already on the way with all the time you've spent in the car.
    It might help if, when you're out practicing and you get that "spidey sense" that something was a bit dangerous but you didn't react to it properly, make a note of it and think "what should I have done there?".
    Think about the options as well... you can slow down (or just ease off the accelerator and place your foot over the brake - the tester would probably consider this a good sign that you're aware and reacting), speed up, change lanes, change your road position (i.e. for parked cars, early enough so that you're never swerving out behind one - and if you see a cyclist in your rear-view mirror as you're stopping in traffic, make sure they have space on your left).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Sat my test in Finglas last Thursday and failed. To be honest I wasn't surprised as I hadn't the chance to do much practicing in time for it & I only got my reversing round a corner right in the 2 hour pre-test that I had right before my test. Got 12 Grade 2's & 2 grade 1's. Grade 1's were down to getting confused in my signs & my hand signals (corrected myself but twas too late). Most of the grade 2's were in the first 10 mins of the test & involved my turns so bit annoyed at that as thought I'd done them well.

Only one's I didn't understand were my Grade 2's for reversing round a corner & turnabout. In the turnabout I didn't obstruct traffic, checked my mirrors & didn't hit a curb. In the reverse I didn't make other traffice stop, didn't hit the curb & didn't cross the middle of the road while doing it. May have been a little far out from the curb thinking about it now. Been racking my brains for the turnabout though & just don't understand it. I know I still would have failed but just want to know what I did wrong so I don't do it again.

One thing I will say about the tester was what happened at the end of the test. I had pulled into the car parking space & went a bit far so said "I'll just reverse back a bit so as not to cause an obstruction". Before I had gotten the words out of my mouth, he had his seatbelt off & was about to get out of the car. Thought it was a bit bad & that he could have waited till I at least stopped the car.

Going to re-apply but for Raheny next time as I know the area better & that would probably put me at ease more.

Sat my test in Finglas last Thursday and failed. To be honest I wasn't surprised as I hadn't the chance to do much practicing in time for it & I only got my reversing round a corner right in the 2 hour pre-test that I had right before my test. Got 12 Grade 2's & 2 grade 1's. Grade 1's were down to getting confused in my signs & my hand signals (corrected myself but twas too late). Most of the grade 2's were in the first 10 mins of the test & involved my turns so bit annoyed at that as thought I'd done them well.

Only one's I didn't understand were my Grade 2's for reversing round a corner & turnabout. In the turnabout I didn't obstruct traffic, checked my mirrors & didn't hit a curb. In the reverse I didn't make other traffice stop, didn't hit the curb & didn't cross the middle of the road while doing it. May have been a little far out from the curb thinking about it now. Been racking my brains for the turnabout though & just don't understand it. I know I still would have failed but just want to know what I did wrong so I don't do it again.

One thing I will say about the tester was what happened at the end of the test. I had pulled into the car parking space & went a bit far so said "I'll just reverse back a bit so as not to cause an obstruction". Before I had gotten the words out of my mouth, he had his seatbelt off & was about to get out of the car. Thought it was a bit bad & that he could have waited till I at least stopped the car.

Going to re-apply but for Raheny next time as I know the area better & that would probably put me at ease more.

Can you say which line your grade 2's can under?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Can you say which line your grade 2's can under?

For both the turnabout and the reverse they were under "competently"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

total of 16 faults, including two reds :eek:.. one was turning left, the other was a road marking, no idea what they were for, but i earned both, they are all mine i own them lol. when my brain can process the test then it will come to me, but all in all, i wasnt up to scratch, tester was sour faced (he cant help that) but clear in instructions, honestly though, he wasnt anything like what i expected, i thought he would make me feel so uneasy and nervy, it wasnt like that at all
    he did his job, gave instruction, marked my mistakes, DIDNT make me feel uncomfortable at all, it was kind of like having my instructor in the car but no chit chat, which suited me as i wanted to concentrate, although that didnt work too well :(
    he even told me a little bit at the end of the test as to what i did wrong. anyhows, i will give it another go, at a later date, i obviously need plenty more practice

• Advertisement

on the straight: 2 blues

on bends: 1 blue

turning left: 1 RED! i have no idea what that was but it was obviously BAD!! but i cant tell you what it is because he didnt tell me :(

turning right: 2 greens, i did go past the line so kind of swan necked, and right turns are never a problem normally, today... i did it twice and i knew i was positioned wrong at the time but had already moved too far, one was on the hill at the top of main st, i kept creeping to get my turn, so i didnt have to stop and risk rollback, i know...stupid!

observation: 2 blues turning right, possibly due to the same as above, i was panicking a bit trying to get around the corner before more traffic came. also, he did ask me to go straight ahead at the next junction, i was in a one way street with two lanes, but dopey here went into the right lane, thinking they both went ahead to the street facing..WRONG :eek: i had gone into the right turn only lane. that could have been one of the right turn/obs faults

vehicle controls:
    acc 2 green
    gears 1 green and 1 blue. he kindly told me afterwards, i seem to have a problem with the gearstick, he is correct :o i was clunking all
    over the place from 1st to 2nd, i always have trouble getting it into 2nd, it seems to hit something and wont budge, then i have to bring it back out to neutral

traffic controls:
    (traffic signs) 1 blue, i think it was a stop sign that i went past the stop sign post, and up to the white line which was a bit further on, i didnt know where exactly to stop, at the signpost or the line that was further ahead, then he brought me that way again... i did the same thing, read below...
    (road markings) RED. i dont know if it was the stop sign or not, because if i did the same thing twice, wouldnt it have been either two blues or two reds, not one of each?

reverse
    competently 1 blue i actually started laughing at this on the test because it was so bad, i havent really practised these as the times i did them with the instructor, it always went well, today.... i turned and went out and then out some more then i was way out of the road, about a cars width out or more...

hazards 1 blue. i have no clue, could have been when i tried to run the old lady over...im joking :D

anyway, apart from all that, the test went well, just joking!! to be honest, i was so nervous of it, hearing this an that about instructors, the fella was ok, even on the approach to the roundabout, he said take the third exit, then he said, "by that i mean, go right around the island to the third exit" and also moved his hand in the direction ( i HATE roundabouts) but, it was empty :D i nearly forgot to indicate left to come off it, i did do it very late, nearly at the exit when i realised, oh maybe that was the red mark for turning left!.
    sorry for the long post, hopefully it might help others doing their test. i might try to get a different car, as im sick of clunking gearstick, it doesnt happen on other cars i drive, (thats my story im sticking to it :p ) then re-apply, i was thinking of asking for a cancellation but i will still have the same clunking prob if i have the same car, day to day driving it does annoy me when it sticks

i asked him what was the reverse mark for, (i was thinking it was for turnabout :rolleyes:, i forgot about my mid road manouvre :o when doing rrc. he was nice enough to say very quietly, "remember you went a bit wide on the reverse around corner?" then i asked about the gears marks, "am i not using the right gears? he said no its not that, you seem to have difficulty getting the gear in. he didnt have to tell me that so i think he was very fair.

for all of you going to sit the test first time, i dont think its bad enough to work yourself up to a sweat for, its a test, you will pass eventually, we all will ;)

(traffic signs) 1 blue, i think it was a stop sign that i went past the stop sign post, and up to the white line which was a bit further on, i didnt know where exactly to stop, at the signpost or the line that was further ahead, then he brought me that way again... i did the same thing, read below...
    I think if there's a white line, you stop at it even if it's ahead of the stop sign (i.e. no point stopping so far back from the junction that you can't see left and right)?

zynaps wrote: »
    I think if there's a white line, you stop at it even if it's ahead of the stop sign (i.e. no point stopping so far back from the junction that you can't see left and right)?

i think i did stop at the stop line, im always on the alert for those, i had that rammed into my head, STOP AT THE STOP LINE, NOT SLOW DOWN, STOP!.
    one red is definitely under road markings, i will go around the route again when its quiet and have a good look at what is where. someone is just saying to me that i might have drove over hatch markings, i didnt see any so again, thats possible too, i need better observation

there are a lot of other faults too, even if i didnt get TWO REDS i still would have failed with all the blues! its an experience anyway, will teach me to be better prepared...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Ughhh didn't get it again - 1st time doing in Raheny. The previous 2 tests were done in Rathgar.

Could have passed it if it wasn't for one Grade 3 marked the progress. Had about eight Grade 2. Could have less of these if I simply didn't do any coasting.

Balls. Getting a full licence has costed me so much money. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Failed this morning in Naas. Second time doing the test. It was very close. 10 blues and one red >:(

Half of my blues were for observation and I got the grade 3 for observation turning right. Really baffled to be honest because I'd been extra sure to always use my mirrors ever since I failed first time around. Was also blue marked for gears and clutch but it's the observation that cost me to fail. My manoeuvres were exemplary, not even a green for any of them. So close yet so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Failed today in Raheny.
    Most of it was my own fault.
    Did stupid things I never do.

There was a van just before the traffic lights and of course I failed to notice his hazzards on and was waiting paitently for him to pull off.

So stupid. So very stupid.

There's a few other things I did that were so foolish I'd be ashamed to post them.

He said I just hadn't enough road experience.

If I could do the test at night I'd pass !!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Failed today in Rathgar. 10 grade two's. The places where I thought I'd mess up went perfectly, reverse around corner etc. But I got three grade two marks for not giving stationary vehicles enough clearance on the narrow roads. BS really, without those three marks it would have been a pass. Sickened

Re-applied straight away to the Tallaght test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janet28

janet28 wrote: »
    failed today in Rathgar. 2nd time to sit it. 1st times failed miserably so I had no chance as I was very nervous and not enough experience. This time however thought I would be fine. Except I failed with 12 grade 2s, all random problems but had 4 on the gears. thought it went pretty well before i was told that. any idea why they mark you on the gears??

Alas have tried again twice & somehow managed to fail again.

the last time was fair, as I breaked hard at an amber light after coming out of Rathgar test centre, & to be fair the nerves totally took over. you know the negative ones where you shake etc. tester was fair he advised that for the most part my driving is fine only the nerves totally took over. But marks were all for similar things focusing on my reactions & observation in a couple of areas. all of which on finishing the test I deserved as the nerves were so bad. 12 grade 2s

However, tried again in Rathgar today and it was as if he was marking randomly on the whenever he felt like it. I was very annoyed that for my turnabout he brought me to a street with kids playing I was going to go on past them and then do it (which is what I would do if I had been driving as I normally would) but he told me to stop where they were. So i did, went on to do my turnabout while looking everywhere as much as I could so as not to hit one of the kids as they are very unpredictable. he proceeded to mark me for observation. I also felt he was very last minute with where he wanted me to go. As this was the 4th time i know that the other testers really give you loads of time but this guy was almost telling me where to go as soon as i was at the turn. and then he had the audacity to mark me for going too fast into the turn. Am just really annoyed.

So i had a look at the pass rates before i booked my next test and noticed that Rathgar is only 30%. which i find hard to believe its so below the average of 57%. So I am now off to Donegal (67%) up there.......... haha!! seems a bit far though............

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭metoyouxxx

Failed today :(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hard luck. Do you know where things went wrong for you?

Advertisement