Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's €75.. it's hardly chump-change!

You'd be damn right to pursue it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I had a driving test this morning & didnt even get to leave the car Pk apparently 1 of my brake lights wasn't bright enough... test centre is right beside a petrol station i could of ran in & got a bulb but miserable tester was having none of it...
    He says i should of had all of the pre test checks done on the car before hand :( - my instructor had a good visual look at all my lights etc & he is still puzzled at how i wasn't taken out... I was so close to decking the tester its not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I had a driving test this morning & didnt even get to leave the car Pk apparently 1 of my brake lights wasn't bright enough... test centre is right beside a petrol station i could of ran in & got a bulb but miserable tester was having none of it...
    He says i should of had all of the pre test checks done on the car before hand :( - my instructor had a good visual look at all my lights etc & he is still puzzled at how i wasn't taken out... I was so close to decking the tester its not funny
    I'm assuming there are insurance issues there. For argument's skae, if driver didn't see your break lights that might lead to an accident. Took me three times to get my test. Keep the faith and don't let it get to you

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXbusybeeXx

Failed this morning in churchtown, it was my first time to do the test but devestated isn't even the word to describe how i am feeling.
    i failed with 4 blue's and 2 red! i mounted to the curb while doing the reverse around the corner :( .

we drove around looking for a corner for ages but the usual ones had cars parked all the way to the edge of the corner the tester eventually asked me to pull in behind one of the cars leaving me parked on the corner which is illegal but he asked me to do it then told me to proceed with the maneuver this threw me because i didn't have the usual straight run down to the corner before having to start turning the wheel!

felt a bit hard done by because i am an extremely nervous person and have been dreading the test for weeks and when i arrived at the test centre i was told my test was going to be carried out by 2 testers in the car this made me completely anxious and i was very conscious/paranoid about them both being in the car.:(

has this ever happened to anyone before?

oh well off i got to re-apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tinker_Bella

Im doing my test in less than three weeks in tallaght at 9 on a monday morning.

Anyone do it in tallaght around this time and if so how did u get on.

Im so nervous! Its my first time for the test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Im doing my test in less than three weeks in tallaght at 9 on a monday morning.

Anyone do it in tallaght around this time and if so how did u get on.

Im so nervous! Its my first time for the test!

Yep, I did mine at half 8 in the morning, in the rain, in Tallaght!

Passed, he brought me into Tymon, Greenhills Road, Greenhills Industrial Estate and back around.

Only took 20 mins, flew through it!

Thanks Midnight

Im afraid there would be heavy traffic around that time with ppl goin to school and work.

I booked a pre test for the monday before my test so i no what il be in for on my test day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Traffic wasn't too bad tbh, only in the Village. If he brings you up to the Village coming from Tymon, then asks you to proceed right at the crossroads to go up the Greenhills Road, watch for the hatched lines! The line of traffic turning right will have no regard for these lines, so they'll cross them on the way to the turn, make sure you continue as if you were going straight until the hatched box ends, then indicate in and cut in front of the traffic, that's the legal approach :P

Thanks. I prob would have just went behind the traffic waiting to turn right.
    Il go that way over the weekend so its clear in my head.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

4th attempt (2nd attempt in Raheny) and failed with flying colours today! 28 blue and 6 pink grades. This is ridiculous! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

MartMax wrote: »
    4th attempt (2nd attempt in Raheny) and failed with flying colours today!
    Nice sense of humour about it though :D
    28 blue and 6 pink grades. This is ridiculous! :mad:
    Ouch, what happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I hope I was not delusional, I thought I was doing my best. Three previous tests were not bad and surely were not as worst as this one. Surely it's not the most perfect drive. :( Just say this tester is known<SNIP>

I hope I was not delusional, I thought I was doing my best. Three previous tests were not bad and surely were not as worst as this one. Surely it's not the most perfect drive. :( Just say this tester is known<SNIP>
    If it's far worse than your previous scores, maybe you could provide them as evidence that something was amiss (i.e. unfair test) and get a free test next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Failed today in Ennis. First time taking the test. 20 blues (and 4 greens). It was observation (5 blues) and Vehicle controls (9 blues 3 greens) that got me. He also gave me 2 for not overtaking one of those cleaning lorries that goes 5km/h.

I'm really disappointed, but I know I didn't deserve to pass. Ah well, just have to try again...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Marking for the gears can be a bit wishy-washy it seems... what RPM do you upshift at, usually? I tended to do it to early (thanks to family members constantly telling me "get up the gears!") so my instructor told me to wait until we were doing at least 2000 RPM (now I drive an automatic which likes to stay at 2000-2200 RPM almost all the time, so that seems like a decent place to be). You might be staying in second or (especially easy to do) first too long - it's probably good to get out of first as soon as is comfortably possible really.
    Well you're in a pretty good position, where you only really have a couple of faults to work on before your next test - a friend of mine failed his first test last week with over 30 grade twos and let's say "disheartened" would fail to describe his feelings. :D

The only things I can think that you might fail to do when turning right are...
    1: to look right down the turn (off a main road to a smaller one) before you start - just in case it's blocked for whatever reason and you end up with your arse sticking out on the main road.
    2: sitting at a tight T junction waiting to turning right (or left) - the temptation is to keep looking left and right, but when you start moving you must be looking directly forwards in case a car/person is passing right in front of you (similar to when pulling off from a parking spot at the side of the road).

Good luck next time, sounds like it's practically a formality apart from that one thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

what you're doing is right and you don't have to change this, i am doing the same too as taught by my instructor and have had no probs with this during the test. 2000 rpm is a bit low for you to start shifting gears. there would be less pull for you car therefore less control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

In general, in a manual car the most economical way to drive the car is change up gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm.

That said as a learner you don't want to be fixated with the rev counter when you should be concentrating on the road ahead so you should try and listen to the engine tone and use this along with your speed as your guide for changing gears

• Advertisement

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    what you're doing is right and you don't have to change this, i am doing the same too as taught by my instructor and have had no probs with this during the test. 2000 rpm is a bit low for you to start shifting gears. there would be less pull for you car therefore less control.
    It depends totally on the engine. A big monster of a thing will be fine upshifting at lower speeds but a 1 litre car with two people in it might struggle.
    As I said, my instructor emphasised at least 2000 RPM to get me out of the habit of shifting too early :) 2500 sounds spot on to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Showed up 3 minutes late (traffic was ridiculous with the schools) and they declined it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Failed for the 6th time today .. :mad:

I do it in spain, where it's 20 mins and no mistakes allowed otherwise fail.

Parked a little too close to a car.

FAIL.

at this stage im seriously considering getting one illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

ShaneU wrote: »
    Showed up 3 minutes late (traffic was ridiculous with the schools) and they declined it :mad:

you serious ? what a joke !

I have never done the test in Ireland so don't know how it works.

That's a bit unfair - when I took my first test, I was kept waiting at least 5 minutes beyond my scheduled time without so much as an apology or acknowledgement.

Seems hypocritical of them to then fail people who arrive a couple of minutes late. Maybe you should contact the RSA and ask for a free rescheduled test. Do you mean really 3 minutes or like... 10 minutes? ;) If it was literally 3 minutes then that's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

the_monkey wrote: »
    Failed for the 6th time today .. :mad:

I do it in spain, where it's 20 mins and no mistakes allowed otherwise fail.

Parked a little too close to a car.

FAIL.

at this stage im seriously considering getting one illegally.

The spanish test as far as I know is meant to be easier because people have never driven before (apart from the driving lessons), and you are allowed to have mistakes...just not go over the limit they have, like in Ireland.

izzyflusky wrote: »
    The spanish test as far as I know is meant to be easier because people have never driven before (apart from the driving lessons), and you are allowed to have mistakes...just not go over the limit they have, like in Ireland.
    How did you come to know this? This guy is saying he actually did the Spanish test 6 times, so surely he would know better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

zynaps wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair - when I took my first test, I was kept waiting at least 5 minutes beyond my scheduled time without so much as an apology or acknowledgement.

Seems hypocritical of them to then fail people who arrive a couple of minutes late. Maybe you should contact the RSA and ask for a free rescheduled test. Do you mean really 3 minutes or like... 10 minutes? ;) If it was literally 3 minutes then that's not on.

Test was due to start at 9.15, I was there at 9.18, he said you have to be there ten minutes before the test starts. The place is full of pricks, the instructor the first time, and now this guy. I guess the job just attracts that type of person.

And just like you said, when I took my first test, I was waiting ten minutes after the test was supposed to start. If you go to the dentist and you're a few minutes late, he doesn't cancel and take your money if he has an appointment after yours.

If you go to the dentist and you're a few minutes late, he doesn't cancel and take your money if he has an appointment after yours.
    Actually something like that did happen at a dentist I used to frequent! Naturally I refused to either pay or make another appointment... unfortunately you can't in this case.

You've just got to laugh stuff like that off instead, man :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Hate to admit this, but I am taking test number 6 on monday...

First Test: 4 blues and 1 red for bumping the kerb while reversing
    Second: 2 blues and 1 red for pulling out too soon in front of a car
    Third: 13 blues
    Fourth: 11 blues
    Fifth: 10 blues

Hard done by much??

Anyone else with a record number of attempts and any suggestions apart from Rescue Remedy to calm nerves?? (Tried 'n' tested ;) )

Thanks!!

Advertisement