Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

zynaps wrote: »
    How did you come to know this? This guy is saying he actually did the Spanish test 6 times, so surely he would know better :P

Eh...let's just say I lived in Spain for over 10 years. My fiance is spanish, did his test over there (so did all his familiy and all my spanish friends) so they've told me. In fact a few of my friends are only after gettin their licences so its actually fresh in my mind. Also, just in case I was wrong I looked it up before posting :rolleyes:.

So, I do think I know well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

izzyflusky wrote: »
    Eh...let's just say I lived in Spain for over 10 years. My fiance is spanish, did his test over there (so did all his familiy and all my spanish friends) so they've told me. In fact a few of my friends are only after gettin their licences so its actually fresh in my mind. Also, just in case I was wrong I looked it up before posting :rolleyes:.

So, I do think I know well.
    Fair enough. You could have mentioned that in your previous post, since it sounded like you were just "assuming" it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mayorose

I have been getting lessons since Feb, basically once a week zipping around the city for an hour. Starting to gain a bit of confidence now, after about 2 months and panic attacks and cold sweats when I first started out. I'll be buying a car in the next few weeks, do any of you have any experience driving with L plates and no licensed driver? I spend 3 hours a day travelling to and from work and a car would mean I would spend ony an hour a day getting there. There is of course the option of driving with no L plates (my friend has lived in wicklow for over a year and has been driving on the motorway everyday to and from work and maintains that she never got caught. Im dubious). I was talking to a garda friend about this some weeks ago and they said that they look upon this law quite leaniently, and also if you do drive with your L plates you are drawing attention to yourself if there is a checkpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

FewToLose wrote: »

Anyone else with a record number of attempts and any suggestions apart from Rescue Remedy to calm nerves?? (Tried 'n' tested ;) )

Thanks!!

At this stage I am just taking it as part of my expenses, at least here in Spain i just need to wait 18 days to do it again.
    (there used to be a rule that a minimum of 12 classes had to be taken - but thank jaysus thats gone !)
    So (easier said then done) relax , don't care and just go with it....
    lets see if it works for me for 7th time ;)

Point taken, won't mention it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

I failed my test yesterday - first time taking it, only driving four months. I didn't get any marks for any of the issues my instructor had flagged with me, like mirrors, progress etc, but got tons of marks for reactions to hazards (4 Grade 2s) and Clearance/Overtaking.

The following happened to me yesterday: I was approaching a stationary bin truck in the middle of my lane. I couldn't really see around it, and all of the cars ahead of me were indicating to overtake. I wouldn't usually overtake large vehicles, but didn't want to just sit there behind it either, so I indicated out and started to overtake it.

The truck started to move before I was around it but I had already started the manouvre. It was then I realised that I was overtaking at a junction (unfamiliar road) and had no choice but to keep going. Obviously this was the wrong thing to do and I picked up multiple marks for it. Any suggestions as to what I should have done in that situation?

Also, if taking a left turn on a narrow road with a car parked very close to the corner (my side) and speed ramps etc and multiple hazards (cars coming at me from the opposite direction), what should I do? I took the corner slowly and tried to stay on my side of the road and came out to avoid the parked car but got marks for 1. Clearance 2. Reaction to Hazards and 3. Observation turning left, cos obviously I should have seen all of this as I was coming around the corner.

Any advice would be great. I'm going to reapply today.

LilMsss wrote: »
    The truck started to move before I was around it but I had already started the manouvre. It was then I realised that I was overtaking at a junction (unfamiliar road) and had no choice but to keep going. Obviously this was the wrong thing to do and I picked up multiple marks for it. Any suggestions as to what I should have done in that situation?

Also, if taking a left turn on a narrow road with a car parked very close to the corner (my side) and speed ramps etc and multiple hazards (cars coming at me from the opposite direction), what should I do? I took the corner slowly and tried to stay on my side of the road and came out to avoid the parked car but got marks for 1. Clearance 2. Reaction to Hazards and 3. Observation turning left, cos obviously I should have seen all of this as I was coming around the corner.

Any advice would be great. I'm going to reapply today.
    It's easy to follow the crowd when overtaking stopped trucks/buses etc - I've done it a couple of times and realised there were cars approaching that I couldn't see before pulling out. :o

Both seem like situations where it might be best to stop and wait (situation 1: behind the truck, but just left of the centre line and just far back enough to have a decent view beyond it, and situation 2: similarly, just left of the centre line, behind the parked car enough that you can clear it without swerving to your right) until the way ahead is clear, before doing your observations (i.e. as you overtake the obstacle, is a bicycle coming from behind that would get cut off when you move?). Never let yourself be pressured into overtaking in a hurry, especially a big obstacle which cuts off your visibility (so badly that you didn't notice there was a junction behind it) - just relax and do the right thing.

In the case of the bin truck, you had to overtake eventually, since you had no idea how long it would be stopped for (e.g. if it was a bus dropping off passengers, you might just wait for it to move off rather than overtake at a junction). Just a question of getting into the right position to see everything you need to see and overtake when conditions are good.

HTH, but take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm no expert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

How long does it usually take to get a repeat exam?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to get a repeat exam?
    My second exam was about 3 weeks after I failed the first one (in Raheny test centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I was hoping to get a quick retest

Work said they'd do me up a letter saying I need a license for my job.

Would this help me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mayorose wrote: »
    I'll be buying a car in the next few weeks, do any of you have any experience driving with L plates and no licensed driver?

It's not allowed.
    Personally, I don't think taking the chance of a €1000 fine and points on a licence I haven't even got yet is worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

fixed your post for you donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read :P I was talking to a garda (who loves giving his convictions) and he said that, recently, attempts at prosecution have been thrown out of court.

At the same time, that's no excuse to be driving around on L plates without an accompanied full licensed driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

3rd time failing in Naas this morning. Strange and disappointing experience.

Having entered the office for the theory part of the test, all seemed to go quite well. The questions didn't take long as I had answers for them all almost immediately. Outside at the car, I answered questions about the secondary controls before driving off.

The reverse around the corner manoeuvre was the first incident of note en route. Towards the end of the manoeuvre I checked behind me as is required. No sooner had I turned my head, a car pulled out of a driveway beside where I was reversing. I stopped performing the manoeuvre as soon as I saw the car although it had come out of the driveway at such a pace that I couldn't have reacted any better. Once it had pulled away, I was instructed to continue out of the estate and I did just that.

Along the way I performed a hill-start before coming back onto the main road. I was instructed to turn right and back towards the test centre as it was the end of the test. Immediately I knew something was up as it had not even been 15 minutes.

Back in the office I was informed that had been unsuccessful. The tester insisted that I had not been looking left at all while performing right turns. There was also a grade 2 for rules/checks. It baffles me as I got one question wrong at most. There were 2 grade ones and 4 grade 2's for clutch control. Given that I had spent a lot of time and money with an ADI instructor I am confident that my clutch control is nowhere near that bad. The tester had obviously shown me no mercy whatsoever and had not allowed for nerves of any kind. There was also a grade 3 for the reverse around the corner manoeuvre on observation, obviously deeming that I had not acknowledged the car coming out of the driveway. I would argue that it was something that happened so fast that I could not have reacted any better and I would be doubtful as to whether the tester himself could have.

The tester then asked me who my instructor was and implied that he had not taught me properly :( . Furthermore, he stated that I needed to go completely back to basics. I didn't take him up on anything at the time as I was quite upset with the way he had handled things. Now that I have had time to reflect, I still can't come to terms with the majority of the marks on the test sheet. I feel insulted personally that I wasn't even allowed complete half of the test and genuinely feel hard done by on this, my third test with RSA. On the previous two occasions I had no problems accepting the constructive criticism of the testers but today I remain a learner unsure of how I can prove myself to be an adequate driver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm really sorry to hear that! Your tester should have not ended the test early, even if he knew that you failed. They're supposed to continue on - you could have faults for other parts of the test which you may not know now because he terminated it early. Perhaps you could appeal to the RSA that the test was not conducted fairly - if you're lucky you might get a free retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm really sorry to hear that! Your tester should have not ended the test early, even if he knew that you failed. They're supposed to continue on - you could have faults for other parts of the test which you may not know now because he terminated it early. Perhaps you could appeal to the RSA that the test was not conducted fairly - if you're lucky you might get a free retest.
    I'm absolutely going to appeal this one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

The appeal is in factlodged to the District Court and requires a court hearing into whether you were fairly tested (broadly speaking) at which you and the tester give evidence. If you were taking it seriously you would also procure an appropriate expert (ex-tester or perhaps very experienced ADI) to offer an opinion on the manner in which you say the test was constructed.

You might consider instructing a lawyer to represent you.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm to enforce your right to appeal at all but it seems to me that it is a lot of effort and expence for very little relative reward.

Anyay, you have almost no chance of succeeding in any event. In order to allow your appeal (resulting in a re-test at no charge with a different tester) you must show that your test was conducted maliciously, oppressively or in a manner unfair to you.

In other words, the court will not revisit the subjective finding of the examiner that you failed but will decide only whether the test was conducted fairly as a matter of procedure. I would strongly counsel you not to get yourself sucked into the appeal mechanism but to focus on passing the test next time out.

• Advertisement

Very well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janet28

FewToLose wrote: »
    Hate to admit this, but I am taking test number 6 on monday...

First Test: 4 blues and 1 red for bumping the kerb while reversing
    Second: 2 blues and 1 red for pulling out too soon in front of a car
    Third: 13 blues
    Fourth: 11 blues
    Fifth: 10 blues

Hard done by much??

Anyone else with a record number of attempts and any suggestions apart from Rescue Remedy to calm nerves?? (Tried 'n' tested ;) )

Thanks!!

your not the only one. calming tea helps a bit too but you need to be drinking it for a few days before to get a better effect

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I was hoping to get a quick retest

Work said they'd do me up a letter saying I need a license for my job.

Would this help me?

when u reapply just put in that u are available for a cancellation. dont think u really need a letter from work. it just depends on the centre. deffo faster in the country

i would imagine that if the tester felt that it was unsafe to be in a car with you driving then i understand how hard done by you feel. my 1st attempt was totally horrendous in every area, and i only wished he ended it sooner. i was so nervous my shoulders were in pain after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Voltwad wrote: »
    3rd time failing in Naas this morning. Strange and disappointing experience.

Having entered the office for the theory part of the test, all seemed to go quite well. The questions didn't take long as I had answers for them all almost immediately. Outside at the car, I answered questions about the secondary controls before driving off.

The reverse around the corner manoeuvre was the first incident of note en route. Towards the end of the manoeuvre I checked behind me as is required. No sooner had I turned my head, a car pulled out of a driveway beside where I was reversing. I stopped performing the manoeuvre as soon as I saw the car although it had come out of the driveway at such a pace that I couldn't have reacted any better. Once it had pulled away, I was instructed to continue out of the estate and I did just that.

Along the way I performed a hill-start before coming back onto the main road. I was instructed to turn right and back towards the test centre as it was the end of the test. Immediately I knew something was up as it had not even been 15 minutes.

Back in the office I was informed that had been unsuccessful. The tester insisted that I had not been looking left at all while performing right turns. There was also a grade 2 for rules/checks. It baffles me as I got one question wrong at most. There were 2 grade ones and 4 grade 2's for clutch control. Given that I had spent a lot of time and money with an ADI instructor I am confident that my clutch control is nowhere near that bad. The tester had obviously shown me no mercy whatsoever and had not allowed for nerves of any kind. There was also a grade 3 for the reverse around the corner manoeuvre on observation, obviously deeming that I had not acknowledged the car coming out of the driveway. I would argue that it was something that happened so fast that I could not have reacted any better and I would be doubtful as to whether the tester himself could have.

The tester then asked me who my instructor was and implied that he had not taught me properly :( . Furthermore, he stated that I needed to go completely back to basics. I didn't take him up on anything at the time as I was quite upset with the way he had handled things. Now that I have had time to reflect, I still can't come to terms with the majority of the marks on the test sheet. I feel insulted personally that I wasn't even allowed complete half of the test and genuinely feel hard done by on this, my third test with RSA. On the previous two occasions I had no problems accepting the constructive criticism of the testers but today I remain a learner unsure of how I can prove myself to be an adequate driver.

Hi,

Sorry you failed. and sorry to be the Devil's advocate, but have you considered taking his advice on board . If your post is accurate then his advice was spot on.

You say
    I checked behind me as is required. No sooner had I turned my head,

Thing is you should always be looking where you are going and checking in the other directions.

Clutch control is controlling the car at very slow speeds when the car is in either 1st or reverse gear. More than likely you were marked for 'coasting' or riding the clutch.

And the technical checks are combined with the rules questions.

Regarding length of test. This is completely at the discretion of the tester. Or so I was informed many years ago when I complained to Ballina on behalf of a pupil. His case was opposite to yours. He was kept out for seventyfive minutes and did two reverses and two turnabouts. Got nowhere with my complaint.

The examiner would have no axe to grind and in my opinion stuck out his neck, which is unusual for a civil servant.

My advice would be to try a different instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 IrishGreenSheep

Failed today in Kilkenny for the second time and to say that I am pissed off is an understatement! I got 11 blues in total but I saw him mark three of them and thought they were very unfair.

1) Progress on the straight - gave me 1 blue for going 45kph in a 50kph zone. I know that might sound like I am making it up but it's true. There was quite a few cars parked on my left and traffic coming against me so I was being very cautious, stayed a doors width away from the parked cars but wasn't too close to the oncoming traffic.

2&3) Observation on turning right and Mirrors on turning right - 1 blue for each. I was observing like there was no tomorrow and somewhat exhaggerating my looking in mirrors as I had a few marks in this the last time so I can't see how this deserved 2 blue faults??

I also had 3 blues for gear control, again a little shocked as I had never been picked up on this before either by my instructor or previous tester and didn't do anything differently this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Failed today in Kilkenny for the second time and to say that I am pissed off is an understatement! I got 11 blues in total but I saw him mark three of them and thought they were very unfair.

1) Progress on the straight - gave me 1 blue for going 45kph in a 50kph zone. I know that might sound like I am making it up but it's true. There was quite a few cars parked on my left and traffic coming against me so I was being very cautious, stayed a doors width away from the parked cars but wasn't too close to the oncoming traffic.

2&3) Observation on turning right and Mirrors on turning right - 1 blue for each. I was observing like there was no tomorrow and somewhat exhaggerating my looking in mirrors as I had a few marks in this the last time so I can't see how this deserved 2 blue faults??

I also had 3 blues for gear control, again a little shocked as I had never been picked up on this before either by my instructor or previous tester and didn't do anything differently this time?

Jesus !!!
    I can't blame you for being pissed off,

Surely you can appeal , "lack of progress" for 45kph in a 50kph zone !!!!???

What are you supposed to do ? between 49-50 ??

I am in Spain and the way we pass here is to drive like an old lady.

I did that today and passed, (7th time) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

the_monkey wrote: »
    Je

I am in Spain and the way we pass here is to drive like an old lady.

I did that today and passed, (7th time) .

First off, congrats on passing your drivers test! - Were you driving like a young lady the other times?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Firstly sorry to hear you failed but one important point to note is the examiner does not necessarily mark the sheet at exactly the point where the fault occurs - more likely to have been a fault a little earlier on. You may have been doing 45 km/hr at the point where you saw him marking the sheet but think back before that....what were doing ? Did you come from a stop at traffic lights, STOP sign etc ? How long did it take you to get from 0 (or whatever) to 45 km/hr - that was more likely the issue. Were you first at the lights or behind other traffic, if you were behind other traffic did they pull well ahead of you ?

To be honest it is highly unlikely that you were faulted for doing 45 in a 50 if the road conditions were as you describe with parked cars etc but unfortunately you will never know for sure.

As has been discussed here many times it is the major flaw in the Irish system that the examiners will not explain in detail the faults and also that your instructor cannot sit in on the test which would help a lot in explaining to pupils where the mistakes were made.

Advertisement