Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

sxt wrote: »
    First off, congrats on passing your drivers test! - Were you driving like a young lady the other times?:p

Well, allthough I never did the test in Ireland, I assumed in Spain aswell
    one could fail by lack of progress, so I'd be a bit to "accelerator happy" ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

1) Progress on the straight - gave me 1 blue for going 45kph in a 50kph zone. I know that might sound like I am making it up but it's true. There was quite a few cars parked on my left and traffic coming against me so I was being very cautious, stayed a doors width away from the parked cars but wasn't too close to the oncoming traffic.
    Progress on the straight is quite a common mark, but as said before it's likely that you made the fault earlier. I noticed from my test that he marked the mistakes about one minute after they occured. It's to avoid you getting flustered right in the middle of making a mistake. For example, I get a Grade 1 fault marked just after I'd finished my reverse around the corner. I thought 'That's strange I thought I did it correctly' but when I looked at my Test sheet I didn't have any reverse faults marked - my fault was actually position turning left, into the estate where I did the reverse.
    2&3) Observation on turning right and Mirrors on turning right - 1 blue for each. I was observing like there was no tomorrow and somewhat exhaggerating my looking in mirrors as I had a few marks in this the last time so I can't see how this deserved 2 blue faults??
    This is a very common fault. Make sure to look well into the road before you turn - a lot of people forget, or at least don't make it very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Failed:mad: Lack of Progress is a retarded rule, doing 50 over speed bumps with pedestrians and cars parked either side cannot be considered good driving, no point being bitter about it though so going to book online straight away, try get a date for next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

failed today in finglas :(

she said i was going too fast in the estates over the bumps etc.

Max Power1 wrote: »

If you didn't go fast enough you would then get marked on progress, theirs no winning and with rules like that they could fail anyone they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

That's annoying, but on the plus side she gave you some explanation - the two examiners I had said nothing... not a single word of advice or clarification.

What were the other marks like? If that was your main problem then you have almost nothing to work on before your next test! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Failed my 1st test today in Rathgar with 10 blues.:(

Am obviously dissapointed but not as devastated as I thought I'd be. Tester was okay but gave me 3 blues for positioning on the straight which MYSTIFIES me! My instructor said he didn't pick up on me doing anything like that at all.

Got a blue each for the clutch and brake which was fair enough, if I was in my own car and not the instructors I would have been fine there and maybe passed.

Can't give up though, all I can do now is reapply and make sure I pass next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My instructor told me it depends a bit on the car as to how fast and in what gear you should be while going over bumps.

Main thing is the car should roll over smoothly and effortlessly over the bumps.
    You shouldn't be in a high gear where the car is struggling to move off after going over the bump and you shouldn't go so fast as to lunge the tester out of the seat.

For my car, as its a Ford Puma with a stiff suspension, my instructor told me I should be in 2nd gear going over most speed bumps. Only bumps which are more flat I could go over in 3rd. It really depends on the type of bump (how severe it is) as what speed you should go over it. You should brake well in advance of the bump (don't brake just as you approach the bump) and be slow enough to go over the bump smoothly without braking.

Something you can remember for next time I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Failed my 1st test today in Rathgar with 10 blues.:(

Am obviously dissapointed but not as devastated as I thought I'd be. Tester was okay but gave me 3 blues for positioning on the straight which MYSTIFIES me! My instructor said he didn't pick up on me doing anything like that at all.

Got a blue each for the clutch and brake which was fair enough, if I was in my own car and not the instructors I would have been fine there and maybe passed.

Can't give up though, all I can do now is reapply and make sure I pass next time.

For positioning on the straight, just make sure your car is in the center of the lane. You should be more positioned towards the left of the lane while going straight. Rathgar has many narrow roads and a few wide ones. In the narrow roads you can't really drive with your seat in the center of the lane but make sure you're more closer to the left of the lane than the right.

Hopefully next time you should be able to make it. It does suck a lot when you fail but you've just gotta keep trying and eventually you'll get it...

zynaps wrote: »
    That's annoying, but on the plus side she gave you some explanation - the two examiners I had said nothing... not a single word of advice or clarification.

What were the other marks like? If that was your main problem then you have almost nothing to work on before your next test! :)
    Yeah, I pushed her (in a nice way :P ) for some clarification.

I got 4 grade 2's for observation (despite not haveing any mirror faults) and 4 grade 2's for speed. Other than that, I made a balls of a mini roundabout which fcuked up the test anyway (grade 3).

So at least i know what to work on, and get some practice in on the test routes so that the issue of being unfamiliar with the area doesnt happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This post has been deleted.
    My old driving instructor (a retired tester) told me there were testers who were fired for incompetence while he was there.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Tester was okay but gave me 3 blues for positioning on the straight which MYSTIFIES me!
    Rathgar is bugger for parked traffic on the side of the road. Were you unnecessarily weaving in and out of the parked cars? Did you accidently drive in a bus or cycle lane?

Drop down into second gear and take the ramp at about 10-15mph. When I took my test, I always drove around housing estates in third gear and never got marked on it.

Drop down into second gear and take the ramp at about 10-15mph. When I took my test, I always drove around housing estates in third gear and never got marked on it.
    But thats the thing - I had been! I drove around the estates at 28-30 mph in third, and always (without fail - no pun intended) dropped to 2nd and 15 mph for the bumps.

Im booking more lessons tomorrow with a different instructor after taking the weekend to reflect. I dont think it will take much more to pass next time, however im loathe to fork out another €75 until im sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawlor.08

Failed today in Tallaght got no marks for any of the manovers but got 4 grade 2's for turning right and 2 grade 2's for turning left. Dissappointed but i can do it again and i'll hopefully pass this time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

lawlor.08 wrote: »
    Failed today in Tallaght got no marks for any of the manovers but got 4 grade 2's for turning right and 2 grade 2's for turning left. Dissappointed but i can do it again and i'll hopefully pass this time

Really sorry to hear that? What category were those faults under? Progress, Right of Way, Observation?

Oh and for those who got faulted for Position on the straight - I posed the question to my instructor after failing my first test. He says it is most commonly gotten on wide roads. You should drive in the centre of the lane, but more precisely you should drive so that the driver's seat is in the centre of the lane. Thus your car will be slightly to the left hand side. This makes it less dangerous for cars to overtake you.

One thing that's always bugged me though. In 'advanced driving' (like the type of driving that the police and emergency services are trained in), it is recommend that you move away from junctions as you pass them (e.g. near the middle of the road if it is safe) to avoid the risk of being hit from an emerging vehicle. However, for the driving test you would get faulted for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawlor.08

They were under position but when i was turning right i moved over to the right, I had to cut 2 corners because there were cars parked right beside the turns so i don't know if he marked me for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Failed today :( Fell apart with the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Failed today :( Fell apart with the nerves

No doubt it was the nerves that made you make stupid mistakes. Chin up and apply again! Happens to us all!:)

I know buit i'm so annoyed. I got a grade 3 as I bumped the kerb. Apart from that I would have passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I know buit i'm so annoyed. I got a grade 3 as I bumped the kerb. Apart from that I would have passed

That was a bit severe. If you tip the kerb it's a grade 2, If you mount it it's a grade 3. Obviously it's at the examiners discretion.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Ugh, failed in Tallaght today. 1st time. Nothing else to do but get on with it and re-apply :cool:

That was a bit severe. If you tip the kerb it's a grade 2, If you mount it it's a grade 3. Obviously it's at the examiners discretion.mad.gif

Maybe I did? I don't know, it was very brief but it was also a very low kerb so it could have been a mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Maybe I did? I don't know, it was very brief but it was also a very low kerb so it could have been a mount.

Same thing happened to me this day a year ago when I sat my first test. I protested that I hadn't mounted it but insisted I had.

Reapply and ask for a cancellation and you should have your full licence within a month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

This smell of failure is getting depressing, 12 blues!!! Grr so close but yet soooo far!! I think I need a drink and then I'll apply for a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This smell of failure is getting depressing, 12 blues!!! Grr so close but yet soooo far!! I think I need a drink and then I'll apply for a cancellation.

That really is the best thing to do...well at least the bit about reapplying asap!
    Hard luck, failing the test by 4 marks should be something that is easily fixed. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

That really is the best thing to do...well at least the bit about reapplying asap!
    Hard luck, failing the test by 4 marks should be something that is easily fixed. best of luck.

Its tough when you fail and your so close I guess each time I fail will make stronger, well I hope so! :P

That's exactly what I got on my first test. 12 blues and 8 of them were for progress. I think I was being too careful, as I thought that's what the tester would want! I took two more lessons, neither of which the (different) instructor could see any problem with my driving, and applied for a cancellation. When the test came, I followed my instructor's advice of 'drive how you normally drive' and I passed with 4 greends and 0 blues!

So it's very possible to remedy 12 blues, as it's only 4 away from the pass rate! I've seen friends come down from a high number of blues (such as one friend who had 18 blues!) to a pass in their next test!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

That's exactly what I got on my first test. 12 blues and 8 of them were for progress. I think I was being too careful, as I thought that's what the tester would want! I took two more lessons, neither of which the (different) instructor could see any problem with my driving, and applied for a cancellation. When the test came, I followed my instructor's advice of 'drive how you normally drive' and I passed with 4 greends and 0 blues!

So it's very possible to remedy 12 blues, as it's only 4 away from the pass rate! I've seen friends come down from a high number of blues (such as one friend who had 18 blues!) to a pass in their next test!

Best of luck!

agree totally, on my 2nd attempt just pretended to examiner wasn't there, just listened for his instruction and got on with it

• Advertisement

What do you guys mean by cancellation?? I failed my test about 2 weeks ago but haven't put in for it online again yet

Advertisement