Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

drawnacrol wrote: »
    What do you guys mean by cancellation?? I failed my test about 2 weeks ago but haven't put in for it online again yet
    When you apply, there's an option somewhere to specify "unavailability" dates where you aren't free to take the test. On the same page (I think), there's an option to accept cancellation dates - meaning, someone has a test scheduled next Friday, but they cancel it and the RSA send you an email/letter saying "Guess what? Your test is next Friday :D".

So it's much shorter notice, but also a much shorter waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

ah, just failed at first attempt in churchtown with 10 blues...3 were for clutch, i cut out 3 times in the test so would it be a blue each time??
    2 for reactions too, just when im turning at a junction in a housing estate a woman decides to cross with her bike!!
    anyway, good experience i guess and applied again straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Johnny86 wrote: »
    ah, just failed at first attempt in churchtown with 10 blues...3 were for clutch, i cut out 3 times in the test so would it be a blue each time??
    2 for reactions too, just when im turning at a junction in a housing estate a woman decides to cross with her bike!!
    anyway, good experience i guess and applied again straight away
    More than likely it would be, either that or the tester thought you were "riding" the clutch. I used to do that a lot, apparently its a common fault (as per my ADI anyway)

Look at it this way, if it wasnt for the three clutch faults youd have passed - not much to work on for next time :)

what exactly do ya mean by 'riding' the clutch..as in coasting?..maybe a couple of times i might have had the clutch in a little too long before stopiing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

what exactly do ya mean by 'riding' the clutch..as in coasting?..maybe a couple of times i might have had the clutch in a little too long before stopiing.

Usually riding the clutch occurs when you have the clutch out (i.e. in gear) but you are resting your foot on the clutch pedal. Even if you are doing it really lightly, or even just hovering, this is known as riding. It is a bad habit to get into as it can wear out your clutch. It's quite common though - even some experienced drivers have that habit.

It occurs quite often when moving up through the gears. People go from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, but they leave their foot resting on the pedal between changes in anticipation for their next change. Similarly, a common fault is keeping your hand on the gearstick as you move up through the gears. You should get into the habit of putting your left foot on the floor and your left hand on the wheel between gear changes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had my car two months before I discovered a little 'nook' for resting the foot when off the clutch. I still honestly prefer to 'hover' but am trying to get myself out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Cat lover

Failed today in Raheny.....the most marked area is progress...I got 6's blue in progress....dunno wt the ** is that coz...:mad:

My instructor said I probably drove too slow....but I always drove too fast when Im hvin lesson...just coz i think is a test...so i make it more caution in road with parked car n when turning....:(

Anyways,will re-apply again asap...but cost me too much...

fuuny part is,when I took a mock test from airport driving school...I had more than 16's blue under observation& Mirros,but in my test today...no marks was on these two:P

funny part after i failed is that i drove home afterwards!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

funny part after i failed is that i drove home afterwards!!:P
    So did I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

failed today in tuam 11 grade 2s , 2 under mirrors turning left & 2 under mirrors turning right , 1 under rules and checks ( :rolleyes: got 3 road signs wrong. sure what can ya do) 4 under observation ,

now those wearnt too bad it all went wrong for me in the last 600metres to the test centre :( came up to a red light in the proper lane no traffic waiting ahead of me, (heavy traffic standing to my left) ran the cars length past the line so their i was sittting in the middle of the junction , just saying "f**k it" under my breath, stuck it in reverse shot back into the correct position to let the pedestrians cross. dont no what in god name i was thinking (nerves i guess)

got blue for traffic lights their , a reaction to hazards , and a observation blue,:o

tester told me afterwards that it would of been a pink grade 3 but I had the sence to reverse properly back to a safe position, didnt make any difference though considering the first blue for that failed me.

wasnt a total disaster though good expereance and i only have to look in my mirrors when i turn more. still having trouble getting ito a habit of this mirror signal mirror manouvre thing . bad habits seem to be winning out

im applying for a cancelation

• Advertisement

Secoundrow wrote: »
    wasnt a total disaster though good expereance and i only have to look in my mirrors when i turn more. still having trouble getting ito a habit of this mirror signal mirror manouvre thing . bad habits seem to be winning out
    When you're driving, it can feel like there's too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it all, so you often overlook things or do them in the wrong order, until you get those habits nailed down and it happens automatically.
    So why not sit in the car with the engine off and just go through the motions? I used to do that when I got in the car before going anywhere, just rehearsing as if I was coming up to a left turn, checking the mirrors/blindspot, indicating, slowing down, changing gear and making the turn, all in your own good time with no rush whatsoever.

A lot of the time I did it without even starting the car (no accompanying driver) - I'd just go out, sit in the car, pretend to take a few left and right turns, then lock up and go back into the house.

Nothing like rehearsal to convert a skill from conscious effort into automatic habit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Secoundrow wrote: »

still having trouble getting ito a habit of this mirror signal mirror manouvre thing . bad habits seem to be winning out

im applying for a cancelation

If you combine the mirrors will be one one less to remember.

The proper correct sequence is Mirrors, Signal, Manoeuvre

That is interior mirror, appropriate side mirrror, (blind spot if appropriate), signal, Manoeuvre

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Hi Guys been checking out this site for the last few weeks and had my test today. failed with 18 Blues!!!!

2 for position turning right

Observation: 1 at roundabouts and 3 turning left

3 reaction to hazards

Signals 1 for turning right (indicators always cancel early on my corsa)

Progress: 3 on the straight 1 at roundabouts 2 turning left

vehicle controls i got one for Accelerator and one for the turnabout and reverse.

Very shocked. I have a few questions, how far from a corner should I shift down to second. Instructor told me 3 car lenghts from the corner but I feel this means going too slow coming up to the corner. I drive a 1.2 corsa and to shift down to second i have to be below 20. In real life driving this would make drivers behind crazy if I crept this slow 3 car lenghts before the corner.

With observation does this mean use of mirrors or not looking into the road I'm turning into. I really feel I checked all the mirrors and looked around, but I guess not.

I went over the speed bumps in 3rd at around 30km is this okay?

I had the worst luck as bearly out of the centre I got stuck behind a bin truck, I was turning left around 10m ahead and the road was very narrow so I stayed behind but then after the turn I was stuck behind it again right on the junction where you shouldn't overtake and my field of view was very restricted. The tester finally told me I would have to make an attempt to pass. I'm sure this is not a good sign. I wonder if this is where i got progress marks.

I have to say just getting the sheet back sucks as it doesn't really help. If they spent 5 minutes telling you a few things u done wrong it would be so helpful. But all you get when you ask is that its on the sheet.

I tried to drive 40 around the estates, did he expect me to do 50?? Next time I'm gonna fly around the course. Anyway rant over. I've already booked the next test. Gonna stick with raheny and hopefully will be a little less nervous next time.

coldcake wrote: »
    I have a few questions, how far from a corner should I shift down to second. Instructor told me 3 car lenghts from the corner but I feel this means going too slow coming up to the corner. I drive a 1.2 corsa and to shift down to second i have to be below 20. In real life driving this would make drivers behind crazy if I crept this slow 3 car lenghts before the corner.
    My instructor told me the exact same thing (and "slower... slower... slow right down" - maybe we had the same guy), and I felt the same as you did. I think he/they purposely exaggerate to get you to set up your manoeuvres in good time.

Saying 3 car lengths is really just to give someone a heuristic rule of thumb if they have no judgement yet, but you've already developed a sense for it so I'd take it with a grain of salt and adjust to change gear earlier or later based on your own judgement.
    With observation does this mean use of mirrors or not looking into the road I'm turning into. I really feel I checked all the mirrors and looked around, but I guess not.
    It's both - you should have a look into the road you're turning into wherever possible, especially when turning right (it's extremely obvious when someone fails to do this). Having to stop halfway through the turn (suddenly blocking oncoming traffic) because the narrow side road has a van sitting in it (which you didn't spot) would be a disaster.
    I went over the speed bumps in 3rd at around 30km is this okay?
    This is about the speed I take bumps at, but even then it's a little choppy (or the suspension on my Micra sucks, which it probably does), and I switched to an auto since passing the test anyway. I'd probably go down to 2nd for them if they're at all steep.
    I have to say just getting the sheet back sucks as it doesn't really help. If they spent 5 minutes telling you a few things u done wrong it would be so helpful. But all you get when you ask is that its on the sheet.
    +1, this is a big problem. They have an excellent opportunity to give learners good advice on specific issues that showed up on the road, and improve their driving skill and safety, but they purposely refuse to do so. Shocking TBH.

Good luck next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Cheers Zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I failed my test at lest 7 times maybe more as I lost count. Patience and persistence paid off and I passed two weeks ago . My best advice for anyone who failed is find a good instructor, usually the best don't advertise , but get business by word of mouth, and stick with them don't jump from one to another.

I know this slightly off topic , but I'm posting this to give people hope .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

mach1982 wrote: »
    I failed my test at lest 7 times maybe more as I lost count. Patience and persistence paid off and I passed two weeks ago . My best advice for anyone who failed is find a good instructor, usually the best don't advertise , but get business by word of mouth, and stick with them don't jump from one to another.

I know this slightly off topic , but I'm posting this to give people hope .

7 times:eek: I couldn't have lasted that many times. Congrats and happy that your determination paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Failed today in Rathgar.

My first run at it, very disappointed.

5 Grade 1
    4 Grade 2
    ....1 Grade 3 :(

It was 5 minutes into the test and i messed up. I knew i had too, kept going though.

At a crossroad. Turn right, no filter. Yellow box.
    I move forward and let the traffic move off, it keeps coming and i start to panic when the lights start to change.
    So my 2 front wheels are in the yellow box and the rest of the car over the pedestrian crossing and i have my handbrake on. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!

But anyways, head up high, if i hadnt done that one thing i would have passed.

Have just re-booked my test.

Always have faith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

keep at it, practise, try and get a cancelation, you'll know what to expect next time, sometimes the first fail can be down to nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i was quite nervous. i had 2 grade 1's on the handbrake, pulling up a bit quick i think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Had 3 grade 3s (fatal errors) 1. Observation: moving off, 2. Right of way: turning right, 3. Turnabout: Observation. 18x grade 2s (none 4 of the same or six in the same category). At the end when he said pull into the test centre without doing a hill start I knew I'd failed and just parked the car in two spaces, I was pissed off. I did it in Kilkenny.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed in Raheny today.

Had a disaster clutch-wise, I don't know what I was doing - thinking about it too much maybe. All the bits I was worried about were fine. My possessed indicator didn't cancel a few times which didn't help.

Have applied again and opted for a cancellation if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Failed today in Rathgar.

My first run at it, very disappointed.

5 Grade 1
    4 Grade 2
    ....1 Grade 3 :(

It was 5 minutes into the test and i messed up. I knew i had too, kept going though.

At a crossroad. Turn right, no filter. Yellow box.
    I move forward and let the traffic move off, it keeps coming and i start to panic when the lights start to change.
    So my 2 front wheels are in the yellow box and the rest of the car over the pedestrian crossing and i have my handbrake on. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!

But anyways, head up high, if i hadnt done that one thing i would have passed.

Have just re-booked my test.

Always have faith!!

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me today, and i failed because of it!
    I think it was the same turn too, i had moved out and the lights changed. was i meant to go or stay there?

oh and by the way, how to I apply for a cancellation, or can I apply saying i need it for work and get it sooner?

robobobo wrote: »
    oh and by the way, how to I apply for a cancellation, or can I apply saying i need it for work and get it sooner?

Follow the process of applying for the test online as before. When it suggests dates, choose 'none of these suit me' (or similar). It will bring you to a page where you can say when you're unavailable and on that page there is a box to tick if you'll accept a cancellation.
    I don't think it works for all centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

or can I apply saying i need it for work and get it sooner?
    That no longer works. Gotta wait like everyone else, even if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Had 3 grade 3s (fatal errors) 1. Observation: moving off, 2. Right of way: turning right, 3. Turnabout: Observation. 18x grade 2s (none 4 of the same or six in the same category). At the end when he said pull into the test centre without doing a hill start I knew I'd failed and just parked the car in two spaces, I was pissed off. I did it in Kilkenny.

The advice I'd give there is don't assume anything.

The examiner may have left the hill start off for some reason or another.

Stay focused until you've been asked to turn your engine off, regardless of what has gone on before.

That no longer works. Gotta wait like everyone else, even if that is the case.

You sure? Causing in my confirmation email it said if I need a date sooner for work, to let them know and pass on a letter from employer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You sure? Causing in my confirmation email it said if I need a date sooner for work, to let them know and pass on a letter from employer

I looked back in my e-mails, and both my confirmation e-mails had it also. It was worded as

"If you want an earlier test appointment for employment reasons, you may forward a letter from your employer (employer's letterhead essential, with VAT number included, stating a full licence is needed for your work)."

Yep that's it so why wouldn't that work?

• Advertisement

Yep that's it so why wouldn't that work?

People have been reporting that they don't accept letters from employers, as far as I know. Maybe the confirmation letters they send are templates from a while back. I'd say just get a letter and send it. The worst thing that can happen is they don't accept it.

Apply for a cancellation anyway, if you feel ready to take the test at short notice.

Advertisement