Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Just sat the c test,had 2 blues for progress 2 for position turning right and 1 for reaction to hazards and one one bad ass pink for entering a junction on a yellow light and not clearing it before it went red,was in tallaght btw passed cpc tho so thats a small bit of a consollation prize :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Cian92 wrote: »
    Eugh! 14 grade 2s!! In all my practices runs I only failed one, and there only got 10 grade 2s. Tbh, I am outraged, the tester told me it was because I was going too slow! I only went 80kmph on the dual carriageway, apparently thats too slow... The speed limit does not have to be attained it is a maximum speed. It really is terrible to be telling people to go faster, remember what happened only a few weeks ago in Donegal.

Apparently I also went in too low a gear. I did not. Also I had to change lane twice, getting onto dual carriageway and then getting inot lane for the roundabout, according to this tester he gave me 2 grade 2s because I checked my blindspots! Disgraceful.

I was seriously considering appealing, but after contacting my solicitor she said I would only get a free test for all my trouble of going to court! So really there is no point.

Of all my grade 2s there are only 6 I would agree that I deserved. Being a young male driver doesn't help.

Hi,

Too bad you failed but I do not understand why you blame the RSA. IMHO your driving instructor did not prepare you for the test.

He should have advised you that , if safe, you must drive at the posted speed limit. (Normal driving you do not of course have to do so, but for the test you must demonstrate that you can safely so so)

Gears, should use the highest optimum gear possible.

He should also have told you that when stopped you give a full backwards blind spot check before signalling, moving off, but when changing lanes a quick shoulder check is normally sufficient.

The driving test is by no means perfect but the RSA are working hard to improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beautiful One

Failed in Finglas for the second time today.....I'm devastated! Applied straight away in Raheny....think the change of scenery might do me good. Hoping to get a cancellation.

I was shocked that I failed....my instructor was a tester with RSA for 6 years and he said that I'd defo pass....he couldnt believe I failed...but I guess it all comes down to that 40minute test!!

Is Raheny better than Finglas? I've heard that the testers are bit nicer than Finglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cian92 wrote: »
    Eugh! 14 grade 2s!! In all my practices runs I only failed one, and there only got 10 grade 2s. Tbh, I am outraged, the tester told me it was because I was going too slow! I only went 80kmph on the dual carriageway, apparently thats too slow... The speed limit does not have to be attained it is a maximum speed. It really is terrible to be telling people to go faster, remember what happened only a few weeks ago in Donegal.

Apparently I also went in too low a gear. I did not. Also I had to change lane twice, getting onto dual carriageway and then getting inot lane for the roundabout, according to this tester he gave me 2 grade 2s because I checked my blindspots! Disgraceful.

I was seriously considering appealing, but after contacting my solicitor she said I would only get a free test for all my trouble of going to court! So really there is no point.

Of all my grade 2s there are only 6 I would agree that I deserved. Being a young male driver doesn't help.

unlucky mate, its very possible to pass the next time around after getting 14 grade 2s first time around so remain positive

there is no need to check blind spots when changing lanes on the duel carriageway or when approaching a roundabout, good use of mirrors and a shoulder check along with indicating is enough

appreciate what your saying about the donegal incident, but on the duel carriage way, if the road is clear and no traffic, 80km is a little to slow, the donegal incident took place on a single carriaige way road, full of blind corners and creasts, these rarely exsist on a duel carriage way

is it possible you have have been going to slow at other points as well, were you marked for progress at roundabouts or junctions?

in relation to gears, did your examiner say where you were in the wrong gear?

have a good look though your test sheet, chat with your instructer, if you both think your ready to sit it again, apply as soon as, some times the test can also come down to nerves or trying to please the examiner, which can cause you to make more mistakes

as said, reamin positive and good luck for next time

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Just home, got 10 Grade 2's :( Off to do more practice......!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

Failed for the fourth time. Beginning to lose heart at this stage.
    I drove really well, only 4 grade 2's but got a grade 3 for not obeying a road sign?!
    Tester gave no indication of what this entailed.
    The RSA are gonna make at least €375 off me doing test, it's sickening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Usually that Grade 3 for not obeying a road sign is for not coming to a complete stop at a Stop sign - even if you just inch the car over the line, without coming to a complete stop, you will still get that.

In daily driving, I see people ignoring the stop sign all the time. In my honest opinion, some junctions would be perfectly fine with a yield sign as opposed to a stop sign (i.e. they have perfect visibility both directions, and does not lead onto a major road). Contrawise, some yield signs are located in places of poor visibility and really should be stop signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

In my honest opinion, some junctions would be perfectly fine with a yield sign as opposed to a stop sign (i.e. they have perfect visibility both directions, and does not lead onto a major road). Contrawise, some yield signs are located in places of poor visibility and really should be stop signs!
    Totally true - sometimes I come to a yield sign and think "but I can hardly see anything... it'd be mad not to stop", then other times you'll see a stop sign on a wider road with good visibility and think "why have a stop sign?" (e.g. there's one near Raheny Test Centre with park railings on each side that you can easily see through).

Same with speed limits at times... was driving near the Sugarloaf on the weekend and there'd be a 50 zone on good quality roads with high-visibility, then 80 or even 100 on a narrow windy road with high bushes, tight bends and bridges where only one car could pass and tree branches blocking out the light overhead! Fun but a bit scary :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Absolutely gutted, failed for the first time. Got 7 grade 2s and one grade 3... Failed miserably cos I completely ****ed up at a traffic light. Off to reapply now. Very downhearted because if I hadn't made that one stupid mistake created entirely by nerves I would have passed. If I redid the test right now I would pass. So ****ing annoying. Now I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks to get another chance.

Good to vent though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Denerick wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted, failed for the first time... nerves

Sorry to hear that :( I had a pretest right before my actual test (only 15 minutes between finishing the pretest and starting the test) which was great for getting rid of my nerves. I made so many mistakes in the pretest because I was so nervous but by the time I was doing the acutal test the nerves were all gone and I was able to just drive like I normally would. I'd highly recommend it.

Apply for a cancellation and you'll get a sooner date. Good luck next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mayorose

I thought you got fast tracked if you failed the test and wanted to apply again? I have my test next week and expecting to fail. So Im keeping my options open!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Denerick wrote: »
    Now I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks to get another chance.

Legally you just have to wait 3 weeks between failing and sitting the next test, you will have to ring up and try to book one as they won't look at your application (generally) until after that period is up rather then giving you a date at the end of the 3 weeks.... Just what I discovered anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fintonagirl

NU8 wrote: »
    Failed for the fourth time. Beginning to lose heart at this stage.
    I drove really well, only 4 grade 2's but got a grade 3 for not obeying a road sign?!
    Tester gave no indication of what this entailed.
    The RSA are gonna make at least €375 off me doing test, it's sickening.

Just failed my 4th attempt in Raheny a few hours ago.. feel so disheartened, went out to car and just cried.

You start to feel you are just not meant to get that test, have never had an experience like the driving test in my life.

But at least you know you're not far off. I got 0 marks for what my instructor would normally pick me up for and 10 grade 2 scattered mostly between progress and reaction to hazards. I hate that they won't tell you exactly where you went wrong.. ffs how are you meant to improve and its all well and good talking to the instructor but he wasn't on the test with me. AARGH! I also got a grade 3 in relation to lights now that I have no idea about, which is obviously scary part and I take on board that that means I didn't deserve to pass - but would have loved real feedback.

Have just booked another test and will be ringing up again for next few weeks trying to get date in September.

Sat saying prayers to St Joseph of Cupertino, patron saint of exams and had my rescue remedy, feck all good that did me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

fintonagirl ..... give it a few hours & read the sections and what they refer to (example Position - 2. Position the vehicle correctly & in good time)
    bearing in mind your marks on the sheet and what each section means, have a think back & eventually you may find a lot of where you made the mistakes will come to you.

for the likes of 11. PROGRESS Maintain reasonable progress and avoid undue hesitancy when ......

If you got a blue for on the straight it could mean you weren't keep up with the flow of traffic

If you got a blue for turning left, it could mean you waited too long for a gap to appear that you found suitable when you had loads of safe gaps pass you.

When you think about it they actually do come back to you.

I got one a grade 1 for position at roundabouts in my test & I thought back & I remembered where I got it cos the friggan tester didn't tell me what exit I was to take until I was on the damn roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fintonagirl

thanks for that, and i know what you mean. i still can't really tie it down, progress at light i really didn't think i was slow moving off, and on the straight that could be between a few areas either going too slow through residential areas where they double parked or elsewhere. i suppose it all comes down to more practice though i will be looking for a cancellation.

think my reaction to hazards is either as above clearance of stationary vehicles or maybe was bit too heave over few of smaller speed bumps, but was trying to not get done for progress. as before, more practice should sort me out onthat :) am going to haunt raheny for next few weeks :)

bit more pragmatic about it now, but still sick at thought of doing another test and failing it, really has hit my confidence.

best of luck to anyone else doing their test at the mo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

I am one of the most happy, confident, prolific drivers i know. Yet when it comes to test my car or something decides to go wrong. First time I didnt deserve to pass I will admit that, then power steering rack went middle of test, another time I didnt go as my wipers were not working, most recently I was trying to wing it with somebody elses NCT cert and he laughed in fairness. It has become something I do. Ross in friends gets married, I do driving tests.

next time is 13th september in Cork. No point worrying, We all know our stuff and you can only laugh when it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

pokingiris wrote: »
    I am one of the most happy, confident, prolific drivers i know. Yet when it comes to test my car or something decides to go wrong. First time I didnt deserve to pass I will admit that, then power steering rack went middle of test, another time I didnt go as my wipers were not working, most recently I was trying to wing it with somebody elses NCT cert and he laughed in fairness. It has become something I do. Ross in friends gets married, I do driving tests.

next time is 13th september in Cork. No point worrying, We all know our stuff and you can only laugh when it goes wrong.

Why don't you remove your car from the equation and hire a car from an ADI for you test :confused:

Wow, what a great thought! Never occured to me :-). I hardly knew i was going to have a mechanical fault on two occassions and last time i was ill prepared and couldn't get a test car. I have a month to prepare this time. twil be grand.

Wow, what a great thought! Never occured to me :-). I hardly knew i was going to have a mechanical fault on two occassions and last time i was ill prepared and couldn't get a test car. I have a month to prepare this time. twil be grand.

No need for the sarcasm. I was only trying to help. I'm not the one who has tried to "wing it" with someone elses NCT disc :rolleyes:

Seriously like...I was cracking a joke at my own expense. Why is everything so upsetting and personal here? I appreciate the advice, but no point being so serious about things as trivial as this

• Advertisement

Seriously like...I was cracking a joke at my own expense. Why is everything so upsetting and personal here? I appreciate the advice, but no point being so serious about things as trivial as this

That was blatantly obvious (see what I did there)

Right, okay.

Anyhow, I hope my experiences prove that there is always somebody who has a worse or more cringeworthy story that any of you out there waiting. And best of luck to all of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

most recently I was trying to wing it with somebody elses NCT cert and he laughed in fairness.
    Two of my friends did similar illogical things and the tester refused to carry out the test... something about the stress on the day and the anticipation and angst leading up to it makes people do mad things :)

Be sure to carry out the same checks they're going to do, 2 days before the test. Most of the car problems that stop the test are trivially fixed like blown lightbulbs or wrecked wipers.
    Get a family member to press the brake, knock on the indicators and lights etc as you stand behind the car. Top up the windscreen washer reservoir. It'll be grand!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Check your rear foglight as well, I was asked on my test. It's a good job I went over the checks with my ADI a few days before as I didn't even know I had a rear foglight before that!

Also, a good tip is to set the ventilation controls to the coldest setting, make sure the air is coming from outside the car, and turn the air flow one notch up from zero - my instructor said this keeps the windows from being fogged up during the test. I don't really understand how it could possibly help, but it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Check your rear foglight as well, I was asked on my test. It's a good job I went over the checks with my ADI a few days before as I didn't even know I had a rear foglight before that!

Where is the rear fog light on the Starlet? I didn't know I had one either!

Also, a good tip is to set the ventilation controls to the coldest setting, make sure the air is coming from outside the car, and turn the air flow one notch up from zero - my instructor said this keeps the windows from being fogged up during the test. I don't really understand how it could possibly help, but it seems to work.

It will work, particularly if you take your test on a cold or wet day.

At least 2 people in the car, one of whom is probably nervous and therefore sweating like a glass blowers a*se, the temperature inside the car will end up greater than that outside the car and condensation will form on the windows...........you need to keep the windows clear. Having your window open ever so slightly can help too.

On a hot day have the fan or a/c on too. It's just as important to have the temperature inside the car at a comfortable level

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Failed today. Rathgar is not a nice test centre. The roads they bring you on are very tight.

cosmic wrote: »
    Where is the rear fog light on the Starlet? I didn't know I had one either!

Down beside where you adjust the angle of the headlights (the dial with 0 1 2 3 on it), there is a button you press - it's like a D sign with wavy lines coming out of it). You press it and it turns on the rear foglight, but only if you have the headlights on.

Rear Fog Light Logo

Rear%20Foglight%20switch.jpg
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

unknown13 wrote: »
    Failed today. Rathgar is not a nice test centre. The roads they bring you on are very tight.

Why not try Tallaght. My instructor told me the roads were wide and well marked, and he was right.

Advertisement