Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Great, thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Maybe she's referring to her IT skills! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Failed in tallaght with 10 grade 2 faults

2 observation on right turn
    2 position on right turn
    1 progress on right turn
    2 accelerator car controls
    2 gears car controls
    cant think of the other 1.

When we got into car he asked how do I know that handbrake is working. I described about coming to halt and applying it, light showing etc etc. He wouldnt accept the answer. He was very angry and kept hoofing and saying "but how do you know it wont move". This rattled me as his attitude was really horrible.

I did stall on hill start and when coming to stopped traffic I wasnt very smooth in stopping at which point he jumped forward and back in his seat. He was heavier than me and I didnt get thrown around the same way. I just feel he exaggerated it a little and gave me his by now familiar look of anger.I Know it wasnt perfectly done but he really milked it.

I just feel a few things were very harsh and get the impression I was going to failk before I even started driving. Really gutted.

I know I failed this myself and accept that but has anybody encountered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

To check if the handbrake is working, release it and re-apply. It shouldn't come to a stop before it feels tight. The button should work, and stop the handbrake dropping when you let go.
    • Keep your foot on the brake when performing this check!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The only way to check if the handbrake is working is to attempt using it on a hill. Thats the only answer you need give to that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Why not try Tallaght. My instructor told me the roads were wide and well marked, and he was right.

Tallaght has a higher pass rate. Simple as that. Learn from the mistakes you made in the previous attempt. Get an instructor to explain the marks. Best of luck next time.

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Failed in tallaght with 10 grade 2 faults

2 observation on right turn-Look down the new road. The rest need to be seen.
    2 position on right turn
    1 progress on right turn
    2 accelerator car controls
    2 gears car controls
    cant think of the other 1.

When we got into car he asked how do I know that handbrake is working. I described about coming to halt and applying it, light showing etc etc. He wouldnt accept the answer. He was very angry and kept hoofing and saying "but how do you know it wont move". This rattled me as his attitude was really horrible.

I did stall on hill start and when coming to stopped traffic I wasnt very smooth in stopping at which point he jumped forward and back in his seat. He was heavier than me and I didnt get thrown around the same way. I just feel he exaggerated it a little and gave me his by now familiar look of anger.I Know it wasnt perfectly done but he really milked it.

I just feel a few things were very harsh and get the impression I was going to failk before I even started driving. Really gutted.

I know I failed this myself and accept that but has anybody encountered this?

As you now know they ask questions about the car, there are more possibilities though. Also the examiners are very formal bordering on cold. Get your instructor to do silent, distracting mock tests to prep. for this. Never think that you are going to fail. Best of luck next time.

pokingiris wrote: »
    Wow, what a great thought! Never occured to me :-). I hardly knew i was going to have a mechanical fault on two occassions and last time i was ill prepared and couldn't get a test car. I have a month to prepare this time. twil be grand.

Use your own car. You will drive it better then a different one. Just make sure it works!

Check your rear foglight as well, I was asked on my test. It's a good job I went over the checks with my ADI a few days before as I didn't even know I had a rear foglight before that!

Also, a good tip is to set the ventilation controls to the coldest setting, make sure the air is coming from outside the car, and turn the air flow one notch up from zero - my instructor said this keeps the windows from being fogged up during the test. I don't really understand how it could possibly help, but it seems to work.

Warm air clears the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Very disappointed with myself ,I did a poorer drive than what I had been doing, 20 mins of 30 mins test was all heavy traffic ,more nervous even than 1st time...I was very nervous tho,way more than I thought I would be...I asked instructor for feedback and he thought I was poor and asked how long I was driving for..I know I am way better than that (then I would say that I guess lol).What i have been doing is just taking lessons and going out in own car with registered drivers for a few hours per week, its not the way I think i have to go out sometimes on my own...I dont want to, but will have to mix it up...Feeling well down on this, advice appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Sorry to hear that buddy. Best look next time eh? Thing is get right back out there and keep practicing. The more hours you rack up the better. If you feel shakey in heavy traffic, keep practicing at a busy time to get over that nervousness.Keep doing the things that bother you the most like hillstarts or reversing round a corner. As you say, although your not supposed to, driving by your self does build your own self confedence (just do it somewhere quiet eh ;)) Safe driving!

Firstly, Chin up. If you know you can do better, apply again and do better. You may need more time driving. Take every oppertunity. If any of your family needs to drive anywhere, you drive them (asuming they have a licence). Consider, if your driving lessons are fixing the problems you are having. If you get nervous, ask your instructor to do mock test like the examiner would to get used to their silent style. Best of luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Just sounds as though your nerves got the better of you mate.

Don't give up, get back on the horse and go again! When you chill out and calm down a bit tell me your grades and we'll see can we get to the bottom of it.

Chin up, at least you've an AI to look forward to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Very disappointed with myself ,I did a poorer drive than what I had been doing, 20 mins of 30 mins test was all heavy traffic ,more nervous even than 1st time...I was very nervous tho,way more than I thought I would be...I asked instructor for feedback and he thought I was poor and asked how long I was driving for..I know I am way better than that (then I would say that I guess lol).What i have been doing is just taking lessons and going out in own car with registered drivers for a few hours per week, its not the way I think i have to go out sometimes on my own...I dont want to, but will have to mix it up...Feeling well down on this, advice appreciated..

Hi,

God, this was me in Febuary. I was absolutely gutted, my second test quite possibly was worse than my first if you take into account the lessons and extra experience on the road. The heavy traffic is head-wrecking, instinct tells you to be cautious especially on the roundabouts and usually you are done for progess because you're afraid to take the chances that you would if out with your instructor or registered driver. I find myself anyway, when I made mistakes with someone in the car I used to fall to bits and instead of getting on with the drive I would progressively get worse during the time out. It was a bloody nightmare. So I took the car out on my own, I'm not advocating driving alone but it helped me. If the car stalled which used to be a regular occurance or I missed a gear or two, I didn't have to worry about other's opinions of me and believe it or not it didn't take too long to correct. I changed my driving instructor and have been getting at least 2 lessons a week for the last 2 months. I'm sorry about this post being so long and rambling but it is a bit late :D

Nerves are dreadful and nothing will make you fail your test quicker than second guessing yourself. Find yourself the best instructor in your area and bring him/her your two test sheets. If they are as good as my guy, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you did wrong whether it's observation, progress, position or whatever. Work on rectifying these while practicing the elements you're good at. Make it your business to get out at the busy times and concentrate on roundabouts, traffic lights particularly the right turns with the filter lights and box junctions. Trust me, it will all come together for you. Get on the net and reapply for the test and get someone with a full licence that you trust implicitly to go out with you every other day. Practice may not make you perfect but definitely makes you safer.

My own third test is coming up very soon and hopefully this time will be the charm. The very best of luck to you when you reapply. Hope this post helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 johnnyc78

Failed my test in Tallaght for the second time. My instructor and friends was sure I would pass and I wasn't as nervous as I was the first time around. I got 12 blues and no reds (1st Test was 15 blues no reds back in March), Most of my faults were observation and positioning turning left basically I was looking too long to the right before making my turn, I was being very hesitant which is a big no no!! also my positioning turning left went out the window due to this 3 marks on each. I also forgot to indicate until I was on a roundabout and for progress I got 2 marks for being over cautious on a busy road turning right. other marks were on reverse around the corner (1 mark) Signal turning right (1 mark) I feel gutted as I know I couldv'e done better as I don't normally make those sort of mistakes driving on my own or with friends. I spent a total of €525 on pretests on the two tests but I didn't practice properly this time around as I was too tired after work. big regret now!!! I'd advice to those to get plenty of practice as it makes a big difference to your confidence on the day especially if you're driving a short time as I was and also keep trying, I don't care if I fail 10 times I'm still gonna try and get that licence. all the best to those on your test

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Sorry to hear that johnnyc78. Practice does make a big difference. I think a lot of it is luck though- I passed on Friday and am no better than anyone else here Im sure, and no better than I was the first time when I failed. Chin up and do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thesuburbs

First time sitting the test and completely fell to pieces nerves wise today! Got 9 blues & 1 red just before the test finished which was annoying but deserved. Couldn't fault my examiner, he was really lovely and did his best to make me relax. Next time i'll be a lot calmer, got all the questions/tech checks right and all the difficult stuff like reverse was fine, I just wasn't focusing on my observations and clearance enough because I was in such a blind panic. I was actually shaking for most of it! Gonna reapply soon as I can because I've practiced loads and it was just an extreme case of the jitters. Weirdly it's made me feel better about my driving 'cause I know exactly where I messed up and I definitely won't make those mistakes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just failed my first test, feel pissed off and upset :(

Got 14 blues and one red. The really annoying thing is that you can't get feedback from them; most of my blues were on vehicle controls but I thought they were fine.

Gonna book my next test right now though; and some pre-tests/lessons. Anyone used the instructors from drivingtesttips.ie?

Aaaargh it's like a money pit! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sleuthy

I failed on vehicle control the first time too; all my blues were concentrated in this area. My instructor thinks it's because I wasn't changing gear quick enough and braking too hard although it was never an issue before.

He weeded out all vehicle control issues and I passed the second time. PM me if you want his contact details as he's very reasonably priced - €30 for a lesson and he always gives about an hour and a half.

Don't worry though; it's very disappointing to fail but if you persevere you WILL pass.

• Advertisement

Shelga wrote: »
    Just failed my first test, feel pissed off and upset :(

Got 14 blues and one red. The really annoying thing is that you can't get feedback from them; most of my blues were on vehicle controls but I thought they were fine.

Gonna book my next test right now though; and some pre-tests/lessons. Anyone used the instructors from drivingtesttips.ie?

Aaaargh it's like a money pit! :eek:

Firstly, hard luck. secondly either post or pm the exct marks and I'll give an educated guess as to what you did wrong. Thirdly, The testtips site is just a paid directory like the golden pages. Talk to people, find someone you believe to be good. Then take one lesson and see if they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed for the second time in Raheny.
    Made a dog's dinner of the reverse turn.
    I thought most of the rest was OK, but had loads of marks in sections I got none in the first time round.
    Have applied again.

spurious wrote: »
    Failed for the second time in Raheny.

Sorry to hear that spurious :( It's great that you have applied again and aren't letting it get you down. You know what they say, third time's a charm! Best of luck next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Failed for the second time here too. Ive already applied for another. Got 4 blue and 1 red so im pretty confident for next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

just failed the theory test on the buses by one point my own fault really as i only studied the buses section and not the truck/bus section

Anyway my gripe is this there is a question about what to plan for before making a trip,

I selected height, width and how many axels, now i sure i should have selected the lenght however some roads have a restriction on how many axels are allowed like dublin city I PISSED OFF about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Failed in Raheny again yesterday I'm absolutely gutted, I felt I drove really well but I got 4 grade 2s for progress turning right!!!!

There was one turn I hesitated too long on, definitely not 4!!!

I am so gutted.

I got the worst route, that one that goes up around Mount Prospect Drive and the worst corner to reverse on and I did all that fine.

I am sick thinking about it.

I have applied for a different centre.

I knew Raheny was hard, but the other times I failed it was my own doing - inexperience, messing up reverse around the corner and hillstart, but this time I genuinely feel I should have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Have my third test in raheny coming up soon. First one was nearly two years ago and i was inexperienced and not a confident driver and deserved the fail (i got 2 reds oops!). The second was in june and i was a much better driver with loads of practice and lessons etc in the year and a half since the first one. The pretester said i'd have no problems passing and the actual tester was really nice and had me really relaxed and was chatting away to me. I could not recall making any mistakes (at no point did i think oh no i should not have done that) and was confident going back into the test centre only to be told i had failed, i was absolutely devastated!! i asked him where i had failed and he told me to look at the form, i had 18 blues and couldnt think where i picked up any of them so i have no idea how to know whether im doing something wrong in my next test so im really nervous about it.

My family and friends are all good drivers and said im doing nothing wrong, same with driving instructers, so dont know how i am to improve. Im not getting my hopes up about next week only to be told ive failed again for reasons unknown to me :(

Noo wrote: »
    My family and friends are all good drivers and said im doing nothing wrong, same with driving instructers, so dont know how i am to improve. Im not getting my hopes up about next week only to be told ive failed again for reasons unknown to me :(

Your instructor should be able to interpret most of the marks you got last time. Consider focusing on not making those mistakes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny again yesterday I'm absolutely gutted, I felt I drove really well but I got 4 grade 2s for progress turning right!!!!

There was one turn I hesitated too long on, definitely not 4!!!

Hi,

Each missed opportunity at that junction was marked.

Did you move right up into the junction and wait for a gap. ?

Drive past that junction from opposite direction, watch the traffic crossing in front. Note your position and whither they forced you to slow or if they had plenty of time to get clear - not interfere with your driving.

Or ask your driving instructor for reference points.

Good luck

• Advertisement

You would not get four marks for progress at one junction. Be aware of it. Try not be OVER cautious next time. Good luck.

Advertisement