Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Each missed opportunity at that junction was marked.

Did you move right up into the junction and wait for a gap. ?

Drive past that junction from opposite direction, watch the traffic crossing in front. Note your position and whither they forced you to slow or if they had plenty of time to get clear - not interfere with your driving.

Or ask your driving instructor for reference points.

Good luck

I thought I did my junctions well, there was one where I had to move up in to the gap and I did that swiftly because I knew the lights change fast.
    The one I knew I was slow on was just after the reverse and there was this old dude stumbling up the hill on the bike I missed my chance and I knew I was wrong and shoulda just went but even then it didnt feel that long :(
    Im done with instructors.
    They all tell me different things, ADI or not.
    Stop in 4th, dont stop in 4th!
    Either that or I just cant be taught :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    Im done with instructors.
    They all tell me different things, ADI or not.
    Stop in 4th, dont stop in 4th!
    Either that or I just cant be taught :D

Yes. There are bad instructors out, adi or not. Believe the one that said you can stop in any gear. But change into a lower gear if you think you may be able to safely keep going. If you don't have to stop, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

ADIDriving wrote: »
    You would not get four marks for progress at one junction. .

Unfortunately that is not the case. If it was, then a person on test could sit at a junction for an hour or two secure in the knowledge that they will only receive one grade two fault for progress.

Every missed opportunity = One Grade 2

Unfortunately that is not the case. If it was, then a person on test could sit at a junction for an hour or two secure in the knowledge that they will only receive one grade two fault for progress.

Every missed opportunity = One Grade 2

It is the case. Your logic is flawed. If a driver stayed at a junction for a massive time, the fault would become a grade 3. The examiner would choose to abandon the test without having covered the route to maintain their schedual. I have read their marking guidelines. I'm a driving instructor. They will generally not double mark.

It is the case. Your logic is flawed. If a driver stayed at a junction for a massive time, the fault would become a grade 3. The examiner would choose to abandon the test without having covered the route to maintain their schedual. I have read their marking guidelines. I'm a driving instructor. They will generally not double mark.

Hi,

was a little facetious with the hours. If the applicant does not move off after a prolonged period the examiner would either hint or get out and walk

From Marking Test Guidelines

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/progress.html

Examples of 'Progress' faults include:

d. Where an applicant does not avail of an acceptable gap in traffic to proceed.

It does not continue to say "Only one per junction"

It does not matter whither the gaps were all at one junction or at separate junctions. There is no double marking in marking seperate incidents.

An applicant on test waits at a junction, he/she does not avail of a gap, the examiner gives him/her a grade 2. If they subsequently miss lets say five more opportunities he does not erase that grade 2 and give a grade 3 instead. He gives five more grade 2's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

Hi,

was a little facetious with the hours. If the applicant does not move off after a prolonged period the examiner would either hint or get out and walk

From Marking Test Guidelines

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/progress.html

Examples of 'Progress' faults include:

d. Where an applicant does not avail of an acceptable gap in traffic to proceed.

It does not continue to say "Only one per junction"

It does not matter whither the gaps were all at one junction or at separate junctions. There is no double marking in marking seperate incidents.

An applicant on test waits at a junction, he/she does not avail of a gap, the examiner gives him/her a grade 2. If they subsequently miss lets say five more opportunities he does not erase that grade 2 and give a grade 3 instead. He gives five more grade 2's.

You got there before me J.R

Spot on there,,,,Except the very last bit,,,

2010 wrote: »
    You got there before me J.R

Spot on there,,,,Except the very last bit,,,

OK OK he can only give three more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

OK OK he can only give three more :D

As well as that a tester will no mark an applicant before the manoeuvre is fully complete, they could receive 2 or 3 or 4 grade twos for progress (in the Testers head), but after the manoeuvre this could be recorded as a grade 3 at that particular junction, and no grade twos recorded depending on how serious the overall fault at that particular junction was.

Hope that makes sense

2010 wrote: »
    As well as that a tester will no mark an applicant before the manoeuvre is fully complete, they could receive 2 or 3 or 4 grade twos for progress (in the Testers head), but after the manoeuvre this could be recorded as a grade 3 at that particular junction, and no grade twos recorded depending on how serious the overall fault at that particular junction was.

Hope that makes sense

Hi,

Not sure about that. Depends on the examiner perhaps. I know one examiner who immediately marks a fault, others wait..

But it would make it difficult for a driving instructor to analyse the faults on the report sheet. Was it a serious fault or a series of lesser. ??

I do not think there is a formula that X number of grade 2's equals a grade 3

But next time am talking to the supervisor will ask what the official guidelines are.

we are probably getting too hypotetical and nerdy here. Personly I read it the same as 2010. The examiner would not jump in with a single grade 2 for progress. It may be replaced with a 3 for observation. If I see four 2s for progress, I think four sepperate junctions. If it was one junction I would expect it to go to the vague reaction to hazards. Best of luck at work.

• Advertisement

we are probably getting too hypotetical and nerdy here. Personly I read it the same as 2010. The examiner would not jump in with a single grade 2 for progress. It may be replaced with a 3 for observation. If I see four 2s for progress, I think four sepperate junctions. If it was one junction I would expect it to go to the vague reaction to hazards. Best of luck at work.

I made a simple statement that you can get more than one mark for progress at the same junction. This was disputed.

Now, have just had a chat with an RSA driving examiner. (Supervisor not around)

Q. what happens if applicant sits at a junction and misses say four opportunities
    A. Seldom happens, but they would incur four grade 2 faults. But he said it does happen.

However he went on to say that they would also be marked if they did not move up into the junction.

If they did something dangerous like getting stuck in the center of the junction and blocking traffic they could incur a grade 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Failed in Churchtown this morning. Raging as apart from the grade three that failed me, I only got one grade two.

The grade three was caused at a left turn yield junction in an estate. Nothing was coming from the right and I could see a car coming from the left with a parked car in front of it. I proceeded with the turn as I had enough time to get through and I thought she would wait behind the obstruction when I had pulled out but she sped up and pulled out in front of me, causing me to take evasive action and clip the kerb with my rear left tyre. Stupid on my part as I should have waited and I fully accept the fail (the tester who was bang on brought me back up to the office, gave me an apologetic "We both know what caused this" and said I should be grand next time) but it's poxy that I have this to dwell on between now and my next test (combined with the cost involved as I have to use an instructor's car because I only have access to an automatic).

A quick query; I'll be doing the test again in the same centre. Do the RSA have a procedure where you can't be tested by the same person or are testers assigned at random?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

ullu wrote: »

A quick query; I'll be doing the test again in the same centre. Do the RSA have a procedure where you can't be tested by the same person or are testers assigned at random?

I got the same tester twice, but I was told if the same one calls your name you can request someone else but tbh that could be a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

ullu wrote: »
    Failed in Churchtown this morning. Raging as apart from the grade three that failed me, I only got one grade two.

The grade three was caused at a left turn yield junction in an estate. Nothing was coming from the right and I could see a car coming from the left with a parked car in front of it. I proceeded with the turn as I had enough time to get through and I thought she would wait behind the obstruction when I had pulled out but she sped up and pulled out in front of me, causing me to take evasive action and clip the kerb with my rear left tyre. Stupid on my part as I should have waited and I fully accept the fail (the tester who was bang on brought me back up to the office, gave me an apologetic "We both know what caused this" and said I should be grand next time) but it's poxy that I have this to dwell on between now and my next test (combined with the cost involved as I have to use an instructor's car because I only have access to an automatic).

Hey there,

I did mine in Churchtown too - you shouldn't get the same instructor within a 90 day period. This is what I was told by the RSA anyway!

Good luck with next time. Now that you know what you did wrong you can adjust for the next one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have rather had the same tester - the new one saw all sorts of naughtiness the first one hadn't marked. :D

As a matter of idle curiosity since I saw someone mention a female tester, are there female testers in all centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

spurious wrote: »
    As a matter of idle curiosity since I saw someone mention a female tester, are there female testers in all centres?
    I don't see why there would be (nor, by the same logic, male testers in all centres) - both times I took a test in Raheny there were about 3 or 4 men milling around the office, and both testers that went out with me were male. But maybe there were female testers for that centre who were out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

In relation to my post above:

" It does occasionally happen that you will be scheduled with the same tester but this will not happen repeatedly as a matter of RSA policy."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

spurious wrote: »

I'm not sure about all centres, but there's definitely one in Tallaght anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Is it not the case that testers are rotated around the various test centres?

loobylou wrote: »
    Is it not the case that testers are rotated around the various test centres?

Hi,

Yes, official reason - they are transferred to another test center to help clear the backlog of tests that has built up there.

Real reason - to claim travelling expenses. They play a type of musical chairs to maximise travelling distances and times.

Talking to an examiner few years back he casually mentioned he had covered 40,000 miles for that year. But do not know if that was exceptional or average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Real reason - to claim travelling expenses. They play a type of musical chairs to maximise travelling distances and times.
    That's pretty nasty :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Failed first time in Finglas. Annoyed at those traffic lights which have an arrow instead of just a green light for going straight, meaning you can't move into the junction for turning right, but more annoyed at myself for ignoring it. Grade 3 for observation when turning right too.
    On the other hand,I'm surprised I didn't get maked down for going over speed bumps too fast, the tester's head practically hit the roof in Ballymun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hard luck - apply again asap. Knowing where you're going wrong is half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Failed first time in Finglas. Annoyed at those traffic lights which have an arrow instead of just a green light for going straight, meaning you can't move into the junction for turning right, but more annoyed at myself for ignoring it. Grade 3 for observation when turning right too.
    On the other hand,I'm surprised I didn't get maked down for going over speed bumps too fast, the tester's head practically hit the roof in Ballymun.

It does go to show that more often than not they are genuinely wanting to give you a fair chance to pass, and recognise that nerves can affect the drive without warranting a fail.

On the plus side, if those were your two mistakes, you must be very close to the mark and should approach your next test with confidence. The fact that you can identify the fail points and beat your self up over them shows you do in fact know how to do it and now its just a question of putting it all together in a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LovelyLaura

Just failed my driving test in Rathgar:rolleyes:. Only driving since May. First time doing it. Got 11 G2's and 4 G1's. Female Tester. Nerves got the better of me, and while I felt I was marked fairly the tester was unnecessarily rude to me. Test was at 8:25am and was taken mainly around Churchtown/Nutgrove area. Turnabout and Reversed around corner in estate beside Beechlawn Avenue.

1 G1 Rules of the Road
    2 G1 Clutch
    1 G1 Gears
    2 G2 Turning Left
    2 G2 Observation Turning Left
    1 G2 Moving off.
    1 G2 Reaction to Hazard
    2 G2 Changing Lanes
    2 G2 Reverse around the corner (Couldn't have been further away from the kerb)
    1 G2 Under Signals for Stopping ( 1 brake light was out on morning of test. Had been working PERFECTLY the night b4 -TYPICAL!!)

Will reapply Thursday (pay day). :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

POSITION
    At Roundabout x 1
    Turning Right x 1
    Stopping x 1

OBSERVATION
    Moving Off x 2
    At Roundabout x 1

REACT TO HAZARDS
    Reaction x 2

MIRRORS
    Turning Right x 2

PROGRESS
    On the Straight x 2
    Overtaking x 1
    At Roundabout x 1
    Turning Right x 1

VEHICLE CONTROL
    Clutch x 1
    Gears x 2

SPEED
    Turning Right x 1

All this adds up to a very p1ssed off Captain Havoc. I knew I was fooked the second I saw the same guy that failed me last time come out the door mad.gif

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I knew I was fooked the second I saw the same guy that failed me last time come out the door mad.gif

Sorry to hear :(. Let's egg the bsatards house!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whatthearghh!

hey,

Very disappointed with my result. I was so sure I did a good test. I remember tipping the kerb in the 3 point turn with the rear wheels. Aside from that I am baffled. At one point there was a van parked off the footpath and i didn't indicate passing as I don't think I crossed the white line and I gave enough clearance. I got 2x hazards marks, overtaking and crossing the white line. I think 3 of them came from that :(
    I also got docked a point from the theory test which I rechecked after -except the 120km being the motorway speed limit which may be wrong. Got 1x for clutch and footbrake too.
    I did a lesson before my test and my instructor pointed out that the girl infront, doing her test just failed since she drove through a stop sign. When i parked outside the test center she came out delighted having passed her test and I had the same tester :s
    My instructor said he is well know to be a terrible tester but it doesn't make me feel better really, I dont think i can drive as good again
    I asked where I can improve after and he said "nowhere in particular really just show the result to your instructor"
    rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

Failed this morning in Skibbereen with 10 grade 2's, 6 of which were for lack of progress. I'm more than a little annoyed with myself because 3 of the lack of progress marks were for straights so if I'd just focussed on what I was doing a little more and eliminated two of those I'd have been fine. At least I know what to work on for when I repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

failed mine on tuesday got a grade three for hitting a kerb on the reverse round the corner, really annoyed as I had practised it loads beforehand, tester was so nice went through my good and bad points with me afterwards.

was my second attempt at the test was real dissappointed to fail again

Advertisement