Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tippog

Sinemo wrote: »
    Legally you just have to wait 3 weeks between failing and sitting the next test, you will have to ring up and try to book one as they won't look at your application (generally) until after that period is up rather then giving you a date at the end of the 3 weeks.... Just what I discovered anyway!

Not sure I fully understand what you mean there. I failed today and have re-applied online and ticked the 'available for cancellation box' does that mean I have to wait 3 weeks before I'll be assigned a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

tippog wrote: »
    Not sure I fully understand what you mean there. I failed today and have re-applied online and ticked the 'available for cancellation box' does that mean I have to wait 3 weeks before I'll be assigned a date?
    Maybe, it depends. I was waiting about 2 weeks, then received a date for a week later or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

tippog wrote: »

I sat my test in Raheny so tried to pick my date online. It wouldn't let me, so I just booked a standard test and clicked the cancellation button. I then got my Mother to ring up the RSA (as I was working) and they said that legally I can not sit the test again until 3 weeks after I last sat it. Obviously it is to make sure that enough practice is done.
    They originally wouldn't assign my date until after this 3 week period was over. After much consideration I got a test 3 weeks after my previous sitting.
    I just thought, so much for trying to sit it again asap after failing...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tippog

Sinemo wrote: »
    I sat my test in Raheny so tried to pick my date online. It wouldn't let me, so I just booked a standard test and clicked the cancellation button. I then got my Mother to ring up the RSA (as I was working) and they said that legally I can not sit the test again until 3 weeks after I last sat it. Obviously it is to make sure that enough practice is done.
    They originally wouldn't assign my date until after this 3 week period was over. After much consideration I got a test 3 weeks after my previous sitting.
    I just thought, so much for trying to sit it again asap after failing...

Good to know! Thanks. That's annoying as am moving to Cork in 2 weeks and was hoping to get it done before then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 VEXERZ

My results

2iuqbe9.jpg

Some mofo was reversing out onto the roundabout and I had to wait, im sure it had something to do with me getting docked lol

I thought I had the test sorted when I felt I executed the turnabout and reversing perfect.... but then I see the form and I see X for competently. What exactly I did wrong im not sure. The instructor brought me to a narrow section of road and told me I could take more than 3 turns and I did and made extra sure not to hit any curb and looked behind indicating and mirrors. I duno. Messed up on the questions big time I was like a deer in the headlights and was muttering on about something irrelevant. Was expecting a piece of paper that he would work through with you, but no. Just straight up question and stare!

I was more nervous before doing my first driving lesson than I was for my test as I proper didn't know how to drive properly and the guy brought my through about 5 roundabouts for my first town drive (bricks were shat), but I seen this kid mustn't have been any more than 17 sitting in the waiting room shaking when I was coming back in from my test. It seems to be a fairly big thing for some people. I'm gonna apply again when I have enough time to practice my mistakes between college.

Any tips you could offer me from evaluating my score card would be appreciated :)

Edit: Another thing I noticed is accelerator use tick, see im only driving a small 900cc car and I was told by the guy doing lessons with me to rev it a little or your gonna have a sluggish take off. With a larger cc car this would not be necessary. What's your take on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Suprising amount for progress, drive faster next time (keeping within the limits obviously)

VEXERZ wrote: »
    Edit: Another thing I noticed is accelerator use tick, see im only driving a small 900cc car and I was told by the guy doing lessons with me to rev it a little or your gonna have a sluggish take off. With a larger cc car this would not be necessary. What's your take on this?
    Yeah, I think a normal response to seeing progress marks is "but I was at the speed limit most of the time", when many of the marks will probably be handed out for taking a long time to get up to speed. Especially if you're turning at a T-junction say, so that after the turn there's a fair distance to the car behind you, but you pick up speed so gently that they have to brake anyway.

Taking turns and accelerating from a stop are probably where learners usually go too gingerly - I did, as did a friend who hasn't passed yet.

Mine's a small car too, so I need to rev it a bit to get the desired effect. You'll soon find the right amount of throttle to give your car when taking off - somewhere between the two extremes of either being shoved back into your seat with the engine roaring (too fast) or a massive gap quickly opening in front, missing the lights or the engine even stalling (too slow) is good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

VEXERZ wrote: »
    My results

Hi,

The examiner makes due allowance for your car/engine size, no need to over-rev.

Grade 1 faults do not affect the results of your test, examiner obviously was not too impressed with your take-offs but did not think serious enough to give you a grade 2.

If you want to take off like a Ferrari then drive a Ferrari. :D

You got most faults for "Progress"

From Marking Test Guidelines
    Examples of 'Progress' faults include:

1. When an applicant intends to turn right and waits at a stop line when traffic lights are on green, and it is feasible to go forward towards the centre of the junction.
    2. Where an applicant waits at a stop line for a green arrow to come on when a full green light is showing.
    3. Where an applicant waits at a stop line for a full green light to come on when a green Arrow or flashing amber arrow is showing for the direction to be taken.
    4. Where an applicant does not avail of an acceptable gap in traffic to proceed.
    5. Where an applicant stays too far back from the vehicle in front while driving along.
    6. Where an applicant stops too far back from the vehicle in front.
    7. Where an applicant makes slow progress on the approach to a left or right turn, having been given a direction by the tester to make the turn.
    8. Where an applicant intends to go directly ahead at a Cross Junction which is controlled by traffic lights, a fault may be recorded for 'Progress at Traffic Lights' where the applicant does not proceed on a green light.
    9. Stopping 'short' at a junction for no good reason.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Vexerz. That looks promising that you will pass next time. You will know what to expect and can better prepare for the questions. Take more care on road position (either centred or slighlty left of centre are acceptable when going straight). Positon on the roundabout may have been to straight, not following the shape? Make sure you check your mirrors and blind spot every time before moving off. People often forget this at the very start or after the reverse. A mistake with observation turning right. You possibly did not look well enough down the new road turning onto a side road. Often a mistake when waiting at lights, check again. Practice the turnabout more to have it flawless. Several marks in progress may be more to do with hesitancy. You will drive with more confidence next time and I believe you will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 VEXERZ

thanks for the tips everyone

I will take them on board for next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Perhaps not for theory test but went into the Santry office today for my first theory test.

Staff were very helpful and nice.

Unfortunately failed the test with 32-40.

Was annoyed it doesn't show you what questions you get wrong, only the section which really isn't any indicator.

I had 8 questions surrounding Tractors on my test.

I also had two questions based on breaking distance in metres, with the anwsers being different to their own CD.

The CD shows a questions about a car/bike travelling at 100km, whats the brake distance in dry weather, the CD states 80metres. However in the test itself the answers were 66, 77, 88, or 99. Really frustrating.

Was told it was a bit of a money spinner and from my first experience it looks that way, felt confident with most questions and when I started hitting tractor questions I started getting pissed off.

Staff were excellent post test also giving me some tips and making sure I was ok and had a chat.

Will give it another lash come December during a week off. But it is just so random and luck of the draw, it seems mostly about luck.

With the latest revisions having over 900 questions, its impossible to simply study every possible question.

Having chats with other people taking the test today they were in the same boat as me. No inention of driving,just getting it done before April when you have to pay through the nose for lessons before your theory : /

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Doc: The theory test is very random. Sometimes you get fourty easy questions. Sometimes loads of difficult, obscure ones. Apply again whiles it is fresh in your head if you can. It is a good plan to get your learner permit before april. Anyone who does not does face the extra regulations. The theory test is the first step.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed again in Raheny.

One grade three for being too close to a parked van - I was taken up into Middle Third and all that in Killester and had to contend with cars parked both sides of narrow estate roads.

Moxy load of marks under progress (4 out of 7) where on previous tests I've never had even one. Can't understand that at all. Actually if you look at my three test mark sheets they look like they are for three different people.

Another day, another 75 euro. Sigh.

spurious wrote: »
    One grade three for being too close to a parked van - I was taken up into Middle Third and all that in Killester and had to contend with cars parked both sides of narrow estate roads.
    That is indeed an awful road. It's like someone reached back into the 19th century and took some farmer's laneway between barn and field, coated it with tarmac and plonked cars on it. Also, the pavements on both sides are far too thin and there's a couple of extremely tight junctions with poor visibility (in particular, Kilbride Rd/Middle Third).

Strange going out that way - I was absolutely nowhere near that area when taking my 2 tests in Raheny (mostly between Raheny/Clontarf).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Did my Test this morning was a nervous wreck but cooled while driving. until i would stop to do something, my leg would take off on a jumping rampage.:mad: so bloody annoying.

The instructor said my driving was perfect and mirrors were perfect. But my observation let me down. Kept forgetting to look over my shoulder. Thats a big must do. specially on the reversing and 3point turn. Got 4 out of 5 of my signs wrong cause i was so nervous. and didnt know my hand signals. other for that i would have passed you need to get below 8 to pass but i got 9. But look in one sense im quite happy i failed because at least i know my mistakes and i can learn from them. Im 17 and very passionate bout my driving but remember its a life skill. Never give up because you passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Did my Test this morning was a nervous wreck but cooled while driving. until i would stop to do something, my leg would take off on a jumping rampage.:mad: so bloody annoying.

The instructor said my driving was perfect and mirrors were perfect. But my observation let me down. Kept forgetting to look over my shoulder. Thats a big must do. specially on the reversing and 3point turn. Got 4 out of 5 of my signs wrong cause i was so nervous. and didnt know my hand signals. other for that i would have passed you need to get below 8 to pass but i got 9. But look in one sense im quite happy i failed because at least i know my mistakes and i can learn from them. Im 17 and very passionate bout my driving but remember its a life skill. Never give up because you passed.

Hard luck, but by the sound of it, most of your mistakes were purely down to nerves, since you've been through the whole thing once, it wont be anywhere near as bad the second time around. Book your test asap if you can and get it second time around!

Hard luck, but by the sound of it, most of your mistakes were purely down to nerves, since you've been through the whole thing once, it wont be anywhere near as bad the second time around. Book your test asap if you can and get it second time around!

Thanks. ya i think so myself. but as you say wond be too bad the next time. ya i hoping to apply, just need to solve the argument of doing it now or do the leaving cert.

Thanks. ya i think so myself. but as you say wond be too bad the next time. ya i hoping to apply, just need to solve the argument of doing it now or do the leaving cert.
    I'd say definitely the leaving cert!! You can do the driving test any time with only a month's wait if you accept a cancellation. The LC is much more of a hassle to do, so the sooner it's out of your way the better IMO :)
    Sounds like you were millimetres away from passing the driving test anyway - shouldn't really require any more work; you've already learned where your mistakes are and know how to correct them.

zynaps wrote: »
    I'd say definitely the leaving cert!! You can do the driving test any time with only a month's wait if you accept a cancellation. The LC is much more of a hassle to do, so the sooner it's out of your way the better IMO :)
    Sounds like you were millimetres away from passing the driving test anyway - shouldn't really require any more work; you've already learned where your mistakes are and know how to correct them.

My problem is with this new laws coming in. Will i be affected. i am willing to sit out till the end of june but will i have to take those compulsory lessons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My problem is with this new laws coming in. Will i be affected. i am willing to sit out till the end of june but will i have to take those compulsory lessons.

No, you already have your Learner Permit, so I'm reasonably certain that you won't be required to take compulsory lessons.

I had almost an indentical situation to yours. I failed my first test in March of my 6th year (having deferred it from February, as it clashed with my mocks). I then considered waiting until after the LC, but I decided to just go for it, as I didn't expect to fail the first time (driving too slowly, failed for 4 Grade 2s in progress on the straight). I took my second test sometime in May - I can't remember the date, but it was the day that the 'Lost' finale was shown on TV :o - I passed with no faults!

While I wouldn't recommend doing anything that would possibly affect your LC, I personally found driving to be a nice break from all the books. I missed about 3 hours in school because of the driving test, but you can catch up easily enough. It's up to you. Remember you can take the driving test as many times as it takes, not really the case for the LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No, you already have your Learner Permit, so I'm reasonably certain that you won't be required to take compulsory lessons.

You can change that reasonable certainty, to an absolute certainty!

If you already have a learner permit, you will not be affected by the new regulations.

I had a lot of friends do their tests during their leaving cert year, without any issue. Although it's all personal preference really. I don't think the LC would affect me tbh, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Freddy B

Unfortunately I'm attempting test number 6 early next month. The first couple of times I definitely wasn't ready but really thought I'd passed the last two or three times.

I've obviously done pre-tests with various instructors and generally get three or four grade 2s, but not always for the same competency.

In my last three tests I've ended up with 14 or 15 grade 2s, again for different competencies each time.

Nerves are definitely a factor as the whole "passing the test" is a real monkey on my back. I'm in my 30s so obviously it's frustrating to see lads 15 years younger than me with full licenses - but obviously they just hold their nerve better than me. The strange thing is I work in a pressurised environment and am quite easy going in general.

Not really expecting any solutions but it feels good to get it off my chest. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Freddy B wrote: »
    In my last three tests I've ended up with 14 or 15 grade 2s, again for different competencies each time.

I have my 4th test next month and am in the same position. I have no error that I am making consistently across the three fails, in fact out of nowhere on the last test I got 7 Grade 2s for progress, never having had even one before.

It all seems kind of arbitrary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Failed again for a fifth time in Tuam today, the first 4 fails were in Galway so I decided to try Tuam instead as I know that town aswell, it made no difference, 12 blues just like all my other fails, theres always reaction to hazard ticks and the tester never tells me what they are, he just says I was too slow to react, cant believe I have to pay out again for a sixth time, so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Keep the heads up folks, I did mine last Friday in Galway city. I got the most ignorrant and strictest tester they have(Heard it since from my own and other driving instructors).
    I'm ashamed to say I'm in my 30s and only started learning to drive 6months ago, all lessons, I have no car.

I could tell straight away he was a sour enough individual as the first question he asked me was....
    Under normal driving conditions can you overtake on a continuous white line?
    I replied....
    You cannot overtake at a continuous white line unless there is an obstruction ahead, for access or unless there is a broken white line on your side of the road.
    He then replied with an exceptional ignorrant manner,
    I asked you under normal conditions can you overtake on a continuous white line to which I then replied...under normal conditions, with no obstruction ahead, no.

He kept me driving close to 50mins and took in parts of 4test routes and a few places I was not familiar with. I honestly thought I did a superb test and had passed easily but he failed me. I got 11 minor faults but a heap for harsh use of the footbrake and accelerator. Absoloute horse manure, I was gently braking and no revving whatsoever. My instructor was flabbergasted as even in my early days I have never had a problem with those things.
    It has my confidence now completely shattered as if I got the same guy again, I cannot see me doing a better test than the one I did. I genuinely feel he took a dislike to me straight away and screwed me.
    I cannot sleep any night since and it's on my mind constantly where I am actually sick with nerves already at the thought of doing it again.
    Does anyone know if it's allowed or possible to request a different tester for the retest?

I wouldn't mind but I am over critical of myself doing lessons, a fact that my instructor has told me numerous times so it's hard to take when I know I did an excellent test. I would have prefeered to have made a balls of it and just say, oh well I'll have that fixed by the next time etc.
    I dunno, I'm beginning to think it's all a money racket and they have to fail a certain amount regardless.

Keep the heads up folks, I did mine at 3pm last Friday in Galway city. I got the most ignorrant and strictest tester they have(Heard it since from my own and other driving instructors),
    I'm ashamed to say I'm in my 30s and only started learning to drive 6months ago, all lessons, I have no car.

I could tell straight away he was a thick enough individual as the first question he asked me was....
    Under normal driving conditions can you overtake on a continuous white line?
    I replied....
    You cannot overtake at a continuous white line unless there is an obstruction ahead, for access or unless there is a broken white line on your side of the road.
    He then replied with an exceptional ignorrant manner,
    I asked you under normal conditions can you overtake on a continuous white line to which I then replied...under normal conditions, with no obstruction ahead, no.

He kept me driving close to 50mins and took in parts of 4test routes and a few places I was not familiar with. I honestly thought I did a superb test and had passed easily but he failed me. I got 11 minor faults but a heap for harsh use of the footbrake and accelerator. Absoloute horse manure, I was gently braking and no revving whatsoever. My instructor was flabbergasted as even in my early days I have never had a problem with those things.
    It has my confidence now completely shattered as if I got the same guy again, I cannot see me doing a better test than the one I did. I genuinely feel he took a dislike to me straight away and screwed me.
    I cannot sleep any night since and it's on my mind constantly where I am actually sick with nerves already at the thought of doing it again.
    Does anyone know if it's allowed or possible to request a different tester for the retest?

I wouldn't mind but I am over critical of myself doing lessons, a fact that my instructor has told me numerous times so it's hard to take when I know I did an excellent test. I would have prefeered to have made a balls of it and just say, oh well I'll have that fixed by the next time etc.
    I dunno, I'm beginning to think it's all a money racket and they have to fail a certain amount regardless.

dont know bout different tester , but they say you should not get them 3rd time. but why dont you try different place like ennis or something.

dont know bout different tester , but they say you should not get them 3rd time. but why dont you try different place like ennis or something.

I can't really, I have no car myself and am based in galway city, if I fail again I might try Loughrea maybe. It's a killer as I'm the sort of lad that stresses over stuff like this constantly until it comes up. If I got the same guy again I'd have the towel threw in straight away before even getting into the car.

Shannon tek would you mind editing my quote please to match mine, I shouldn't have described what he looks like..thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Im really struggling in Galway for the last 6 months aswell Belcher, I know well what you mean about it always being on your mind aswell, Ill be having tea or drifting off to sleep and then Ill remember and cringe and it'll ruin my mood, so depressing.

• Advertisement

Reactor wrote: »
    Im really struggling in Galway for the last 6 months aswell Belcher, I know well what you mean about it always being on your mind aswell, Ill be having tea or drifting off to sleep and then Ill remember and cringe and it'll ruin my mood, so depressing.

It's desperate, last night I was the same way, beginning to doze off then starting thinking about it and my heart started racing. I know I'll be the same way every day until I sit and pass the thing. Fair play to the folks here that have failed it 4 plus times and keep having a go, not sure I'd have the stones myself, although it is a necessity I suppose so there's not much choice.

Advertisement