Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Wasn't there a rule that every 3rd test you take, a supervisor must accompany the tester with you? If so, that might cut down on extended unfairness!

I'm still saddened at the continuing lack of transparency on their part. By not openly and clearly specifying the context of each marked fault in detail, they not only infuriate learners and make it easy to feel like one has been cheated, but they also throw away easy opportunities to help people become safer drivers. Meant to write a letter to them about this, but it seems to be in my drafts folder since this time last year... oops! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Not so much a failure of the test today; a failure to be given the test!:P

Tester in Wicklow was ill so my test was postponed until Wednesday 9th Feb, at 10:05... So here's hoping I won't be posting in this thread again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

hopefully he won't be grumpy when he/she gets better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Firstly, hard luck. secondly either post or pm the exct marks and I'll give an educated guess as to what you did wrong. Thirdly, The testtips site is just a paid directory like the golden pages. Talk to people, find someone you believe to be good. Then take one lesson and see if they are.

ADIDriving
    I only noticed this comment you posted and would like to set you straight.

The last I heard you do not need an ADI number to advertise on the GPages
    You MUST have ADI FULL qualification to get listed as a sponsor of DrivingTestTips.ie website.
    I will not list trainee ADIs or rouge ADIs.
    If you are not on the RSA.ie website I contact the RSA to check your clam of qualification.
    I personally check ALL testimonials to make sure they are not sent from instructors.

This statment (The testtips site is just a paid directory like the golden pages.) is incorrect and a little unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

ADIDriving
    I only noticed this comment you posted and would like to set you straight.
    The last I heard you do not need an ADI number to advertise on the GPages. You MUST have ADI FULL qualification to get listed as a sponsor of DrivingTestTips.ie website. I will not list trainee ADIs or rouge ADIs.
    If they are not on the RSA.ie website I contact the RSA to check their clam of qualification. I personally check ALL testimonials to make sure they are not sent from instructors. This statment (The testtips site is just a paid directory like the golden pages.) is incorrect and a little unfair.

Wow! I said that september last year!
    Last I heard you do need an ADI number to advertise in the Golden Pages. As I recall from last year you do need to be a full ADI, no trainee or rouge ADIs. I remember last year lots of testimonials were removed from peoples Golden Pages adverts.
    I acknowledge the test tips aspect is good. But the phrase was used the poster I was replying to, in the context of finding an instructor.
    Correct me if I am wrong on these simple points: The instructors on top of the list pay you to be there, just like the Golden Pages. Other instructors further down are random complimentary listings of ADIs, just like the Golden Pages. No offence meant, but the point is valid.
    "Talk to people, find someone you believe to be good."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Wow! I said that september last year!
    Last I heard you do need an ADI number to advertise in the Golden Pages. As I recall from last year you do need to be a full ADI, no trainee or rouge ADIs. I remember last year lots of testimonials were removed from peoples Golden Pages adverts.
    I acknowledge the test tips aspect is good. But the phrase was used the poster I was replying to, in the context of finding an instructor.
    Correct me if I am wrong on these simple points: The instructors on top of the list pay you to be there, just like the Golden Pages. Other instructors further down are random complimentary listings of ADIs, just like the Golden Pages. No offence meant, but the point is valid.
    "Talk to people, find someone you believe to be good."

Taken from the GPages website
    "Advertising under this category Driving Schools does not warrant or represent that a person or business is registered as a Driving Instructor with the Road Safety Authority. Please contact the RSA or visit www.rsa.ie for a list of Approved Driving Instructors (ADI)."

You see they will allow people to advertise without any proof they are qualified.

The list of standard listings on my sites are temporary.
    All sponsors are checked and so are their testimonials.
    I forgot to state they must give a photo of the driving instructor to coincide with the ADI number.

I do all of this to help the users.
    Yes the sponsors pay for the listing; but the site is free for the users because of the sponsors paying.

I feel you were very unfair to me to make this statement "The testtips site is just a paid directory like the golden pages".

It is not...... I do a lot to make sure the DrivingTestTips users get the best help possible and I do it FREE for the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Absolutely sick to my stomach right now. Just failed for the 2nd time, this time with 2 grade two's and 1 grade three.

He told me the incident in question happened at the very first roundabout leaving the test centre! He gave me a straight fail for pulling out in front of on oncoming car from the right. Except that was complete bull****. I remember exactly what happened at the time. The car didn't slow down. The car didn't beep. I got slated for progress in my first test so that was definite proof I was more confident this time around. Driving away I thought it would be a grade 2 at most, and if I didn't go I would've spent the entire test thinking I've already got a grade 2 for progress.

My reverse around the corner was the best I ever did. 3 point turn was fine, I even managed to get through the theory with just a green. And even though I spent 35 minutes proving I'm a perfectly good driver who deserves a full license, I have to wait another 2/3 months because one guy thinks I came out to a roundabout too early.

Very, very annoyed right now! :(

Daysha wrote: »
    And even though I spent 35 minutes proving I'm a perfectly good driver who deserves a full license, I have to wait another 2/3 months because one guy thinks I was came out to a roundabout too early.

Very, very annoyed right now! :(
    That sucks, but otherwise only getting a two grade 2s is great. And it'll only be a one month wait if you'll accept a cancellation!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's a shame Daysha, coming so close to passing. I failed my first test with 7 Grade 2s, but 4 of them were on the one line for Progress on the Straight (admittedly not a problem I have ever had before I took my test - doubtless I was being overcareful). I passed the second one with 0 Grade 2s, same tester :)

My instructor said, after I passed my first test, is that often people can overcompensate for their mistakes. In your mind, the thought of "I failed because of lack of Progress last time" might have been lingering, and this might cause you to take a gap in traffic that isn't big enough, or similar.

Best of luck in the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Zynaps: There is no such rule. However the test process is up for a well needed review. Send that email.

Brian: We will leave it as a different perception of a good set of sites.

Daysha: Apply straight away and you will have that full licence soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Ugh, oh dear.... made an absolute bollocks of it. Nerves shot to ribbons before the test didn't help.:(

13 Grade 2's, 2 Grade 3's... ouch.:(

The first grade 3 was when I was turning right at a traffic light junction. Went into the 'Turn Right' box, and the lights turned red. I panicked and didn't know what to do, and made the snap decision to 'obey' the light and stayed where I was. Turns out, I should have kept going, as I was committed to the move and anything coming from the right would have been obsctructed.

Second one was for simply driving too far over to the right when driving down a fairly narrow road, with cars parked all along the left.

All along the route, nerves played a huge part; not driving with enough progression, not using left mirror enough, etc.

Made an absolute bags of the reverse around the corner: engine cut out twice!!!:mad:

All in all tho... I'm half-glad I got it over and done with and got the fail out of the way! Already re-applied. I know I'm a better driver than that! It was defo just nerves got to me in a big way.

Tester was also very sound; gave me advice and talked me through the faults and so on after the test.:)

Here's to the next time out...

Unlucky darz, it's good you reapplied straight away, nerves seem to play a huge factor with many people before the test, maybe try and relax as much as you can next time? Drink tea etc..

Its great that the instructor was sound though and gave advice, that's rare enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

DazMarz wrote: »
    Ugh, oh dear.... made an absolute bollocks of it. Nerves shot to ribbons before the test didn't help.:(

13 Grade 2's, 2 Grade 3's... ouch.:(

The first grade 3 was when I was turning right at a traffic light junction. Went into the 'Turn Right' box, and the lights turned red. I panicked and didn't know what to do, and made the snap decision to 'obey' the light and stayed where I was. Turns out, I should have kept going, as I was committed to the move and anything coming from the right would have been obsctructed.

Second one was for simply driving too far over to the right when driving down a fairly narrow road, with cars parked all along the left.

All along the route, nerves played a huge part; not driving with enough progression, not using left mirror enough, etc.

Made an absolute bags of the reverse around the corner: engine cut out twice!!!:mad:

All in all tho... I'm half-glad I got it over and done with and got the fail out of the way! Already re-applied. I know I'm a better driver than that! It was defo just nerves got to me in a big way.

Tester was also very sound; gave me advice and talked me through the faults and so on after the test.:)

Here's to the next time out...

the next time your doing it. try to think your in the car with a family member. or even better dont take a blind notice to the instuctor, pretend its a gps or something speaking. id say there was several occasions i forgot my instructor was in the car. ended up talking to myself when i made mistakes. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Sorry to hear that, DazMarz :(

I found it really beneficial on my second test to just drive as I normally drive. Forget the fact that it's a test - I would tend to get worked up about making extra mirror checks or something if I thought about the clipboard-wielding man watching me. shannon_tek's suggestion of treating him like a GPS is a good one, I've never thought of it like that before. Basically, if you weren't on a test, and there is a gap in traffic you would take - take it on the test. Don't be over cautious just for the sake of appearing extra-safe to the tester - that's what failed me my first test.

The moving up to turn right then the lights going red seems to be a common reason for failure (based solely on reading this thread). It's a bit confusing to people I think - most traffic lights that I have encountered are "circle green" first, then the right filter light comes on after a while, so that solves the potential problem.

In the case of a "circle green" you should move up to the point of turn (or if there's a box, move into it). At this stage you have already "taken a hold" of the junction, so you have technically crossed the traffic light. So even if the lights go red, you aren't breaking a red light (although it DOES look like it, as the light is in front of you - but the stop line is behind you). Once the lights go red, they usually go red the other side as well, so you should have a few seconds to complete the turn before they toggle to perpendicular/other traffic.

Best of luck next time :).
    You're so close - you will get it soon. It'll feel like even more of an achievement when you finally do pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Forgot my provisional driving license so couldn't do the test today.

facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

So I have to pay for another test and it has increased to €85. Goddamn. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

Oh man, thats a sickener, not as sickening as failing 4 times in a row like me though, number 5 next Tuesday, not looking forward to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Reactor wrote: »
    Oh man, thats a sickener, not as sickening as failing 4 times in a row like me though, number 5 next Tuesday, not looking forward to it :(

Good luck!:) This was to be my third attempt. I was feeling somewhat confident as well.

You should look forward to it as an opportunity of getting the monkey off your back forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Yeah I'm doing my 5th test next month. You know it's bad when you're like "In one of my tests..." I actually hope they recognise me next time and just feel sorry for me I've failed by one mark in 3 of them no joke.

After my last tast: "Was this your first test?"
    Me: Em no, my 4th (awkward silence)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

The GLORY of failing...
    Did my first one in December, a day before my 18th birthday, in Tullamore. I was nervous, but the examiner seemed somewhat relaxing. Until we returned to the center. :P Then I thought he was a real monster. :P

I just took the sheet of failing, ran outside and cried soo badly! I can't remember the last time I cried so much. But the examiner seemed somewhat untouched: at the end he said ''I'm going to give you your fail cert just in case you're going to apply for a renewal of provisional''... AND my renewal is due in 2012. :/ Sarcasm? I think yes.

I have the next test on 8th March, in Tullamore. I really hope I'm going to get another examiner.

Double facepalm :D

My mate did almost the same thing; brought his provisional license which had expired a few days before the test. Whoops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

I have a job interview on Tuesday so I have to postpone my test, they only rang me on Friday evening and i have to go to it, another €85 plus the lessons down the toilet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 loreanatus

Last week I got 4 'Reaction to Hazard' Grade 2 marks.
    I don't remember why they might happened, except when an old man crossed the road, while I was edging closer to the junction..

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I have failed 4 tests and have another one coming up at the start of March. I never take lessons in time and end up leaving it until the last minute and end up stressed out....and I get the same tester EVERY time! When I see him I'm like "oh no" :( I'm so nervous even though I've still a while before my test. I get really nervous during the test and my legs feel like jelly.. Gonna take loads of lessons this time so hopefully I'll be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

*Sparkle* wrote: »
    I have failed 4 tests and have another one coming up at the start of March. I never take lessons in time and end up leaving it until the last minute and end up stressed out....and I get the same tester EVERY time! When I see him I'm like "oh no" :( I'm so nervous even though I've still a while before my test. I get really nervous during the test and my legs feel like jelly.. Gonna take loads of lessons this time so hopefully I'll be ok!

Hello there as far as I know you can ask for a different tester? Best of luck though...when I finally passed the staff were waving at me out the window of the test centre and seemed genuinely pleased for me....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 strive2drive SOM

you should get some pretest lessons as soon as or befor you get your date,about 4-6 weeks before this will give you plenty of time to get rid of bad habits.
    Good luck

goodies wrote: »
    Hello there as far as I know you can ask for a different tester? Best of luck though...when I finally passed the staff were waving at me out the window of the test centre and seemed genuinely pleased for me....:D
    unfortunately your not allowed to ask for a different tester.

when on your test you should be scanning the road ahead looking for the next problem
    try keeping this in the forefront of your mind and not OMG im on a test,OMG im on a test
    look up the road as far as you can and start planning for what your going to do next.
    If the tester tells you to take the next right go over everything your going to do in your head on aproach.
    If your concentrating your legs should hold up. Concentration starts to slip when your body temp rises if this happens get the AC on or open the window untill your temp drops.
    this should help you keep concentration.
    Good Luck next time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed again in Raheny (4th time).
    As usual, marks in sections I never had them before. Very nice tester though. Said I was very safe and drove well. No Grade 3s. Tempted to say well why the frigg have you failed me then, but didn't.
    Another test another load of dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Failed on Friday in Tallaght, got 13 grade 2's.
    4 in progress, 1 in reaction to hazards, 2 in position, 2 in clearance and 2 in reverse.
    Going to apply again today. Feel queasy with nerves just thinking about it!

Also, I thought the 'Statement of Failure' was a bit harsh... Surely they could name it better!!

• Advertisement

statement of failure is a great way to put it isn't it :L unlucky, all you can do is apply again and get a few more lessons, have to keep going and succeed :) good luck.

Advertisement