Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

when on your test you should be scanning the road ahead looking for the next problem
    try keeping this in the forefront of your mind and not OMG im on a test,OMG im on a test
    look up the road as far as you can and start planning for what your going to do next.
    If the tester tells you to take the next right go over everything your going to do in your head on aproach.
    If your concentrating your legs should hold up. Concentration starts to slip when your body temp rises if this happens get the AC on or open the window untill your temp drops.
    this should help you keep concentration.
    Good Luck next time

Thanks that's really good advice! :) I've had 3 lessons so far and my test is on the 9th of March. Reversing around the corner is one thing I really hate...Hopefully I can perfect it before my test!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

I'm so annoyed at myself! Grade 3 on reversing and everything else was fine....arrrghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Did he say what exactly caused it?

I got a job in Bray so I had to cancel my test in Galway yet again, so Im just going to say <SNIP> it and start driving on my provisional license and only reapply if a Guard stops me, one of my fathers friends is a Guard and he says they're not enforcing it a fifth as much as they were at the start anymore.

Failed in Churchtown earlier today (4 x reaction to hazards), not too pushed as only driving a month. Already applied for another test.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Reactor wrote: »
    Did he say what exactly caused it?

I got a job in Bray so I had to cancel my test in Galway yet again, so Im just going to say fcuk it and start driving on my provisional license and only reapply if a Guard stops me, one of my fathers friends is a Guard and he says they're not enforcing it a fifth as much as they were at the start anymore.

I'll prob get a lot of grief over this but...I did this. I failed in july, 1st time. After the summer while I was in college I was grant but during placements I just couldn't take nearly 4 hours of travelling everyday after 12 hours shifts when I could do it in 40 minutes. So I decided to buy magnectic L plates (my intructor's advice) pop them in the boot and if stopped be very nice and just say I had forgot to put them up and hope for the best (driving on my own and all that...).

Did that for a few months, and was lucky enough not to get caught. Passed my test today so it's ok now. In saying that I know a lot of people doing it, and even people who have been stopped and nothing has happened. I suppose you just have to see if its worth the risk for you.

Also have to say I had no one to practice with, and even my instructor back in july told me I was wasting my money on lessons when all I needed was practicing everyday to gain confidence. Haven't taken any lessons since I failed that time either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

izzyflusky wrote: »
    I'll prob get a lot of grief over this but...I did this. I failed in july, 1st time. After the summer while I was in college I was grant but during placements I just couldn't take nearly 4 hours of travelling everyday after 12 hours shifts when I could do it in 40 minutes. So I decided to buy magnectic L plates (my intructor's advice) pop them in the boot and if stopped be very nice and just say I had forgot to put them up and hope for the best (driving on my own and all that...).

Did that for a few months, and was lucky enough not to get caught. Passed my test today so it's ok now. In saying that I know a lot of people doing it, and even people who have been stopped and nothing has happened. I suppose you just have to see if its worth the risk for you.

Also have to say I had no one to practice with, and even my instructor back in july told me I was wasting my money on lessons when all I needed was practicing everyday to gain confidence. Haven't taken any lessons since I failed that time either.
    I did the same.. 9 months in total till I passed my test.

I was stopped a few times, only once asked for my licence and she just said "dont do it again".

As with most laws in ireland, they are loosely applied, but you could be unlucky and get a guard in a bad mood who will "do" you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Failed this morning in tallaght. Cant believe how different the pre test results were compared to the actual test 4 x's in pretest and then a whopping 33 x's in the test. Instructors and pretesters reckoned id sail through!!!!!! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Failed this morning in tallaght. Cant believe how different the pre test results were compared to the actual test 4 x's in pretest and then a whopping 33 x's in the test. Instructors and pretesters reckoned id sail through!!!!!! Ha!

Were you really nervous or something? If not I'd think about sourcing a new instructor!

;)

no was not nervous at all got 3 grade 1's, got 1 grade 3 which i know was genuine but 30 grade 2's really got me by surprise. I'll try post the sheet he gave me when we finished to see if anyone can make sense of it!!!

no was not nervous at all got 3 grade 1's, got 1 grade 3 which i know was genuine but 30 grade 2's really got me by surprise. I'll try post the sheet he gave me when we finished to see if anyone can make sense of it!!!

Firstly, jaysus fierce amount of marks!
    Where did you do your test?
    Are the marks all over the sheet or is the certain areas where there is like 4xs in a row?

The tester must have been having a bad day or something! lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

he wouldn't just give that amount of marks if the candidate didnt deserve them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi finnharpsboy,.

First, sorry you failed.

Now, if you drove in the test the same way as you did in your lessons/pre-tests your instructor is totally and completely incompetent.

He dd not in anyway whatsoever prepare you for the test, or more importantly for a lifetime of driving.

30 grade two faults are not just x's on a piece of paper, but instead represent thirty situations that were potentially dangerous.

My advice, change instructor immediately and anyone doing the test in Tallagh should PM you for the instructor's name so that they can avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Failed first time this morning in Naas, had 4x lessons with Dave in Naas Driving Acadamy (Great guy & top notch instructor)

6 grade 1's
    11 grade 2's
    0 grade 3's

A few unlucky ones, 2 reactions to hazards where a guy pulled out on front of me and two women walked straight out onto the road.
    2 in the turn about which I normally nail, it was on a narrow road, with about 10 cars watching me. Had to do a 5 point turn, so hit the curb and forgot to check my blind spots when reversing around the corner the second time...

Other than that there were just the odd ones here and there, no area in particular cost me, so I'll be re-applying for a cancelation on Monday (I'll tell em I need it for work)

I got more nervous than I though I would be, and it really cost me some marks for silly mistakes. At least I know what to expect next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

With 4 lessons what did you expect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

The amount of lessons doesn't matter that much 4 lessons is plenty if you're just getting up to scratch with things for the rest such as how to do a turnabout properly. etc..

a lot of people could have been driving a lot before the lessons, which is important, it's experience.

was actually 7 grade 1 x's 1 grade 3 x and 25 grade 2 x's. anyway scanner broken so edited blank sheet just to show the x's i got here it is......the test.jpg

was actually 7 grade 1 x's 1 grade 3 x and 25 grade 2 x's. anyway scanner broken so edited blank sheet just to show the x's i got here it is......the test.jpg

Hi finnharpsboy
    Firstly I am not a qualified driving instructor-so take what I say with a pinch of salt!
    Secondly, I am not familiar with Tallaght so I apologies in advance.
    Starting from the top:
    · 4 Grade 2’s on the straight suggests to be that you were either in the wrong lane i.e. if you were a dual carriage way and you were in the right hand lane when you should have been in the left lane or you were to far over to the white and or the yellow line.
    · 6 marks for position turning right could be down to over steering into the corner i.e. swan necking.
    · Your observation marks are more the likely a combination of not using your rear-view mirror and your mirrors as much as you should. Remember also to look over your shoulder too!!
    · Reaction to hazards- that can be multitude of things and it’s hard to pin point exactly. That is where a qualified ADI would be useful
    · Clutch Control; COASTING i.e. Coasting is the term used to describe the movement of the car in a forward direction while the clutch remains fully depressed. This can happen if after changing gear, the clutch is not fully released.
    · Traffic Lights: I would say this is due to either running a red/amber light when you had plenty of time to slow and stop.
    · Road Markings; NOT 100% sure of this maybe someone here could help
    · Grade 3 Reverse under competently to would suggest you hit the curb or you were far too wide going the corner.
    · Observation on Reverse and Turnabout; Not noticing someone/moving vehicle in your mirrors also minimal use of your rear and side view mirrors plus looking out through the windows.

Hope what I have said makes sense and if anyone feels what I have said is false or misleading please amend the post as you see fit.

I would also advise looking on the RSA website to find a registered ADI in your area!

Good luck and I hope you pass next time out!
    Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

was actually 7 grade 1 x's 1 grade 3 x and 25 grade 2 x's. anyway scanner broken so edited blank sheet just to shoAs ou got the x's i got here it is......the test.jpg

Hi,

Richard's post not far off but perhaps the easiest way would be if you posted the insructions given to you by your instructor (?)

Position
    Position on the straight instructions should have been a safe, but not excessive distance from the left. In the 50k zone, usually this is one meter from the left.

Turning Right. Approaching the junction should be just left of the white line. (Talking Millimeters here) You turn into the new road when your front wheel is level with the white line of the other road, and you aim to end up on your normal driving position on the straight - one meter from the left.

Turning Left. Front wheel follows the kerb. (start turning when front wheel level where kerb begins to turn.

Obs.
    This could be either
    Not checking other directions,
    checking, looking at wrong times/place or
    incorrectly checking - taking too long for example.

Turning left might could be emerging from junction, when moving off from a stop, not looking to front of car before moving.

Hazards
    Anything that will/may cause you to either alter course or speed. This could be as simple as not slowing for a speed ramp to something slightly more complex like say not spotting the reversing lights on a 'parking' car.

Clutch. 'Riding' the clutch perhaps. (as per Richard)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

One flaw I had with turning right and left that my instructor drilled out of me was unessiceraliy looking the wrong way when turning.

For a right hand turn, I was still checking my left after I had started the turn, Once I was sure it was clear, I should have only been focusing on my right hand side, too see what was in front of me as I turned.

for the left, same again, you should be about a foot from the curb as you position yourself, about the space of a double yellow line. This is so you cant allow anythingto pull up beside you in your blind spot. So you shouldn't have to look over your left shoulder as you take off.
    Same again, make sure right hand side is clear, start your left hand turn, and keep your attension on the left all the way through.

Saying that, I failed my first time, but not on these points. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed again (5th time) in Raheny.
    Grade three for a position on a roundabout. No idea which roundabout, I'd safely say we did about twenty of them, including the Artane roundabout.

Getting a bit sick of it now, but have applied yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

spurious wrote: »
    Grade three for a position on a roundabout. No idea which roundabout, I'd safely say we did about twenty of them, including the Artane roundabout.

Getting a bit sick of it now, but have applied yet again.

Grade 3 on position on roundabout, you must have been in the wrong lane going around it to get something that serious. I know raheny well (did it there 4 times myself) and its difficult to get any serious faults on the tonnes of mini roundabouts, must have been one of the bigger ones. If you did grand everywhere else then just concentrate on that part and you'll be grand next time. When I last failed there I was so convinced I passed I just had to ask where exactly i picked up the marks and he told me, depends who ya get if theyre sound enough to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

spurious wrote: »
    The Artane roundabout is annoying - extremely badly set-up pedestrian light causes a bottleneck, and people regularly take the wrong lane (a few take the left lane going straight through (heading north) and most take the right-hand lane.

Really twenty? On my two tests in Raheny, I don't recall going through more than one (real) roundabout :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

zynaps wrote: »
    The Artane roundabout is annoying - extremely badly set-up pedestrian light causes a bottleneck, and people regularly take the wrong lane (a few take the left lane going straight through (heading north) and most take the right-hand lane.

Really twenty? On my two tests in Raheny, I don't recall going through more than one (real) roundabout :eek:

I'm counting those funny painted on the road ones.

What you describe at the Artane roundabout is what happened me. Coming down Ardlea road I was told to take the second exit (straight on). I entered in the left hand lane as it has a straight on arrow in it.

The pedestrian lights on Gracefield road had caused a back up across the traffic coming down the Malahide road so I just joined on the end, indicated left and went when the traffic moved.
    I don't know what I did wrong - if that is where the grade 3 was.

This is what I find so frustrating about all the fails. I can't work out what I'm doing wrong, but part of me is worried I must be doing something terribly wrong when I see all these people posting here getting one or two blues. A series of ADIs have told me I'm doing OK and yet I keep failing.

I have a full licence for the bike. It's looking more and more tempting to give the driving up for a bad idea.

It's €85 now to do the test. Bloody hell - plus the price of paying someone to cover me at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Just back from my first test and failed. Done it in Greenhills but not too upset cause I didn't get any grade 3's. Got 5 grade 1's 13 grade 2's. One thing I was surprised by was the fact that he didn't bring me to a roundabout but not gonna complain. Will apply again in about a month or two after my exams are nearly over.

Grade 2's were: rules/checks, position in traffic lanes, position turning left, observation moving off and turning right, reaction to hazards, signals turning right, progress on the straight x 2, progress turning left, clutch, gears, observation on reverse around the corner.

All in all fairly happy as it could have gone so much worse and all are things that I can improve on easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Failed for the 5th time a couple of weeks back in Naas...I really never thought it would come to this...the sense of worthlessness! But at least it was remotely funny...

Was cleaning the car a day or two before the test and was just about finished when I looked at the front window to see my NCT was just out of date! Sh*****t! Rang my brother going mental because he drove it every day and this was also the first he knew about it! I contemplated cancelling the test but out of a burst of confidence decided to ring my instructor and ask to use his car which I had never drove.

Took a two hour pre-test and couldn't believe I was able to drive it pretty well at the end and was confident enough, until...the tester asks me to turn on the fog lights...oh dear! Window wipers and water flying everywhere etc. etc. basically the only thing I didn't do was beeb the horn! He just sat there and waited. I literally died inside. Got 7 grade 2's and probably would have passed had I not clipped a cheeky curb on a very tight left turn which = grade 3 fault!

Was also wondering do you need to change gears over all speed bumps as reaction to hazards keeps being a problem even though nothing noticeable happened during some tests. I go over a few in 3rd gear at a steady pace not too fast or slow...instructors say it's fine but it could be a little thing the testers like to plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

shamtastic wrote: »
    Was also wondering do you need to change gears over all speed bumps as reaction to hazards keeps being a problem even though nothing noticeable happened during some tests. I go over a few in 3rd gear at a steady pace not too fast or slow...instructors say it's fine but it could be a little thing the testers like to plug?
    I doubt it; during my second test I stayed in 3rd gear for a whole road of speed bumps, only shifting down maybe once when I slowed down extra passing a parked car with bad visibility. If you were going to lose marks for that, they'd probably put it under gears?
    Reaction to hazards seems to be more about subtle speed changes, even just moving your foot over the brake without touching it yet, or changing road position slightly (like when I sensed that someone was going to door me when cycling yesterday, so I moved just 2 inches further out and she flung the door open, missing me by 2 inches :D).

If you could get one of those cheap sunglasses camera things, or a car camera that sticks on the windscreen or something (got mine for €20 or so on eBay) it might help interpret the mysterious faults in retrospect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

shamtastic wrote: »

Depend somewhat on the car.

A 'reaction to hazard' fault is going to be from an inappropriate reaction - saw it too late, driving too fast over it.

In some cars 3rd gear is going to be absolutely fine to stay in over speed bumps, in others it will not be appropriate (2nd pls) and you might pick up a fault for gears instead, despite appropriate reaction to hazard in terms of speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just failed mine - got 13 grade 2s and one grade 1. But no grade threes so I suppose that's good. My faults were spread out all over the place but I got three for gears.

Actually thought I'd failed within the first five minutes, went to a busy roundabout and started to move off. I saw the tester moving his head to the left and I was like ****! observation so I threw my head to the left and almost crashed into a sign until I swerved back in. Just muttered sorry and my legs were like jelly for the rest of the test. Kind of annoying because I would have only got one fault for observation but instead I got one for road position as well. Still, I would have still failed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Hard luck.

Actually it sounds like you reacted to the tester looking left when really you should have just been concentrating on the drive - going on to a roundabout you'll be focusing to your right.

Don't let the reaction/behaviour of the examiner affect how you drive. The worst thing you can do is assume their exhibiting signs that you made a huge mistake and have failed - this is often not the case ! Try and react to their verbal instructions only (or those physical instructions which are helpful - some will motion with their hand to the left or right as they give the instruction on route).

Keep working hard - there's a pass in your very near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Hard luck.

Actually it sounds like you reacted to the tester looking left when really you should have just been concentrating on the drive - going on to a roundabout you'll be focusing to your right.

Don't let the reaction/behaviour of the examiner affect how you drive. The worst thing you can do is assume their exhibiting signs that you made a huge mistake and have failed - this is often not the case ! Try and react to their verbal instructions only (or those physical instructions which are helpful - some will motion with their hand to the left or right as they give the instruction on route).

Keep working hard - there's a pass in your very near future.

Thanks, the more I think about it, the happier I am with my performance. There's only a few small things I have to refine and I think a lot of that will come with experience - I've only been learning for 10 weeks so I just need to get some driving hours under my belt.

Advertisement