Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

lizt wrote: »
    Thanks, the more I think about it, the happier I am with my performance. There's only a few small things I have to refine and I think a lot of that will come with experience - I've only been learning for 10 weeks so I just need to get some driving hours under my belt.

Good positive vibes there - you did very well for 10 weeks at it.

The pass will be there for you given more experience, as you point out above yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

i now its only the theory test....but im still pissed off that i failed it by 2 quesdtios, tha auld lad wont be happy to fork out another 40 euro :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

not being funny, but there is just no reason for failing the theory test.

Anything can happen on the day of the driving test, but for the theory you just need to know the CD, it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Failed on "Turning left" in Finglas. (1st timer)

Absolutely seething. I felt it went fine. He said I didnt check my blind spot when turning left. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    i now its only the theory test....but im still pissed off that i failed it by 2 quesdtios, tha auld lad wont be happy to fork out another 40 euro :mad:
    Try failing it by one question, putting it off for 6 months, then finding out about the new regulations, desperately looking for a centre and seeing they are all booked up 8 weeks in advance!
    :mad:

Typical of my luck really, my own fault for putting it off though but the ridiculous costs of driving a car these days meant I just didn't bother. I don't have a job so I don't have thousands of pounds.

• Advertisement

CD-R 80 wrote: »
    Failed on "Turning left" in Finglas. (1st timer)

Absolutely seething. I felt it went fine. He said I didnt check my blind spot when turning left. :(

Was this a grade 3 in itself or what else did you pick up ?

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Was this a grade 3 in itself or what else did you pick up ?

Got 4 Grade 2's and a Grade 3...all in the "turning left" column. I must've made an absolute disaster of turning left somehow :-(

Only got 3 other grade 2's so wouldve passed only for my turning left!

I've since camlmed down and re-applied anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

CD-R 80 wrote: »
    Got 4 Grade 2's and a Grade 3...all in the "turning left" column. I must've made an absolute disaster of turning left somehow :-(

Only got 3 other grade 2's so wouldve passed only for my turning left!

I've since camlmed down and re-applied anyway!

Presume you mean the faults were in the "Take Proper Observation" section and occurred on left turns.
    There is no need for a blindspot check here, the fault was possibly not looking into the new road or else not checking your left mirror just before turning (looking for cyclists).

loobylou wrote: »
    Presume you mean the faults were in the "Take Proper Observation" section and occurred on left turns.
    There is no need for a blindspot check here, the fault was possibly not looking into the new road or else not checking your left mirror just before turning (looking for cyclists).

They're all in the (2)"Position" section , Turning left column Lobby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Position faults much easier to correct than observation faults, you should be fine next time.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

I failed my driving test again today and I was wondering if someone could help me with something, a definition for sufficient clearance to parked cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Evade wrote: »
    I failed my driving test again today and I was wondering if someone could help me with something, a definition for sufficient clearance to parked cars?

Aim should be for approx a car door width or about 1 meter at minimum. If the road is wide then you may be able to give slightly more - say up to 2m. No need to be heading completely to the other side of the road though.

Now, if the road is narrow and you have oncoming traffic then it may not always be possible to give the 1m gap but in that case you must reduce your speed. It will usually still be safe to continue on but if you are closer than 1m then you have to reduce the speed accordingly.

loobylou wrote: »
    Position faults much easier to correct than observation faults, you should be fine next time.:)

Cheers Looby!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Additionally if the road is very narrow and a car is approaching, it may be necessary to stop completely or face a reaction to hazards mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

tba wrote: »
    Additionally if the road is very narrow and a car is approaching, it may be necessary to stop completely or face a reaction to hazards mark.

Would it not be a right of way mark? I got one on my driving test for not stopping to let a car through.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Didn't pass in Kilkenny yesterday, although not due to my driving. Just after the turnabout my car decided to start overheating, basically making it unusable for the rest of the test. Needless to say I was gutted, especially as the tester said I hadn't failed up until that point. He was very nice about it, but in the end he just got out and got a taxi back to the test centre.
    He said the department will be in touch with me about a retest, and if they're not within two weeks I should ring them and explain what happened. Anyone know what that's about? Wouldn't I be better off booking a retest straight away, or is there a reason to wait for their call?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Revelry

Mo14 wrote: »
    Didn't pass in Kilkenny yesterday, although not due to my driving. Just after the turnabout my car decided to start overheating, basically making it unusable for the rest of the test. Needless to say I was gutted, especially as the tester said I hadn't failed up until that point. He was very nice about it, but in the end he just got out and got a taxi back to the test centre.
    He said the department will be in touch with me about a retest, and if they're not within two weeks I should ring them and explain what happened. Anyone know what that's about? Wouldn't I be better off booking a retest straight away, or is there a reason to wait for their call?
    I think it's because you don't have to pay to for the re-test because the car broke down during the test; if it had broken down before you left the test centre you would have to pay again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Antara

First, I have been lurking here for a little while --so big thanks to all who share their stories, I love reading them.

Here's me:

I am driving stick shift for the first time in my life, I had my full licence for an automatic back in America, but now I am here and only got my first car last week. I am on my third provisional, and to my great shame, have only been driving less than a month, lol. I just never got around to sticking with lessons and kinda forgot about the driving as I had been living in Dublin and just riding my bicycle, taking the train, etc.....until I got the letter telling me I HAD to book the test or else no 3rd provisional for moi.....
    So...I didn't really practice much at all is my point, but in the last week, I practised NON STOP----friends and family really went out of their way to help me..... I think I drove about 10 hours a day every day, plus I had about 6 lessons from a good instructor.

But--today I failed.

The weather was BEAUTIFUL.....and the instructor was beyond nice. He was a gentleman, he was kind, and he even let me try to fix my mistakes---I was in shock as I expected an awful experience, and it wasn't. But the fact he was so nice made it even worse for me, as I felt like such a loser when I still did the following: stalled 3 times--even once during my always perfect turnabout (this is where I got mega-flustered, it all went downhill from here), screwed up the reverse around the corner (!!!!!----I still can't believe it, I went on the sidewalk----TWICE---NEVER did that before , even in practice---it was a NITEMARE)))). I felt like he really wanted to pass me, and I made it impossible for him :(

So....I know I am really a very new driver and that I need loads and loads more practice, but I still cried afterwards as I came so close to passing (believe it or not, I only got 10 blues (3 clutch, 3 gears,1 handbrake, 1 observation, 1 right turn, 1 left turn) and of course, the ONE BIG HUGE red for the sidewalk experience, lol).

So, that's me: 3rd provisional and now I have to practice , practice, practice before I go through that again. My worse fear now is that I won't ever get an examinar that nice again :(
    He was a doll, really. I almost wish he had been as horrible as the ones I hear about on here cuz then I could blame him (just kiddin).

I feel like crap and am having a good cry, poor meeeeeeeeee:o

Ah well......such is life.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your test.

It's much more difficult to start learning on a manual transmission when you've only ever driven automatics, so I reckon you're being quite hard on yourself.

One of the hardest aspects I found with a car with manual transmission is clutch control. Once you get it however, it will be like 2nd nature to you.

On the other hand, you have experience driving on the road and dealing with other raod users which most people starting out don't. Get plenty of practise, hill starts, starting off, going up and down the gears etc, as they are all things which an automatic does for you, which all of a sudden you have to do yourself.

Get plenty of lessons with an approved driving instructor and you'll be well set for your next test.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

All the best!

Hi Antara

That's tough experience there - pay it forward - that was a one off rotten performance by you which won't happen again given more time in a manual.

Pass is in your future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

failed
    2 grade 1s
    3 grade 2s
    one grade 3(guy nearly hit me on roundabout tester freaked out said it was my fault, other car no indicator presuming because he had a jeep he had right of way)
    absolutely p*ssed over it.
    tester said he would've passed me otherwise:/
    ah well time to move on and concentrate on the leaving cert now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Failed today, 8 grade 2's in observation and mirrors. Grade 2 in rules of the road as well which I don't quite understand, there were two signs I wasn't sure of but I didn't know that was enough to fail that segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Failed today, 8 grade 2's in observation and mirrors. Grade 2 in rules of the road as well which I don't quite understand, there were two signs I wasn't sure of but I didn't know that was enough to fail that segment.

Hi

Sorry to hear you didn't pass. They're not supposed to give you a grade 2 for rules/checks unless you get 3 wrong. I got a sign and theory question not quite right as the examiner put it and only got a grade 1.

Do ya think there was something else he could have marked you on? If not, you could always appeal, but the best you'll get is a resit so probably not worth it!

Best of luck and may you pass the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 loreanatus

Barrt2 wrote: »
    failed
    2 grade 1s
    3 grade 2s
    one grade 3(guy nearly hit me on roundabout tester freaked out said it was my fault, other car no indicator presuming because he had a jeep he had right of way)
    absolutely p*ssed over it.
    tester said he would've passed me otherwise:/
    ah well time to move on and concentrate on the leaving cert now :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, I had a similar experience, and left it for a while. I found I lost/forgotten some driving skills, but you will relearn again. Don't lose hope!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

Failed again today 2nd attempt :mad:

In my first test I had 10 blue flags(grade 2),your allowed 9. I felt I was a little in unlucky with the conductor I got and that some of them were a bit dubious in my opinion,however if i answered the pre test question right i would of passed,so chalked it down as experience.

You can imagine how pleased i was when I arrived to sit my test and had the same conductor :rolleyes: I thought sod him anyway im gonna do this.

Everything whent well answered all my question on rules correctly,the ride whent smooth observation ,singnalling etc,smooth gear changes everything whent perfect I felt.Finished in the parking lot,big smiles on my face I was Chuffed :D!

Sat at the desk,Sorry youve failed,couldnt beleive it :eek:
    Got 6 Blue flags(grade 2).:mad:

1. For positioning when stopping,which was fair enough i did overshoot the line at one of the lights(in my defence it turned orange) but fair enough.

1. For competancy on the 3 point turn,cant figure out why.I assume because i was doing it on a road that hadnt got a footpath on one side of the road,thier was a walled bush. I might have gotten too close to the bush,I never touched it though, AM I TOO ASSUME THEIRS A FOOTHPATH THIER !

heres thie bit that peed me off,4 for braking,WHAT THE Fcuk?
    I asked about this he said go over it with your instructor!,ridiculous.he then goes on to say overuse of the brakes and harsh braking.

apart from the time i stoped at the orange light,their were no sudden stops and you wernt being jolted forward with whiplash evertime i stoped the car.

To say im unhappy would be an understatement

Failed again today 2nd attempt :mad:

In my first test I had 10 blue flags,your allowed 9. I felt I was a little in unlucky with the conductor I got and that some of them were a bit dubious in my opinion,however if i answered the pre test question right i would of passed,so chalked it down as experience.

You can imagine how pleased i was when I arrived to sit my test and had the same conductor :rolleyes: I thought sod him anyway im gonna do this.

Everything whent well answered all my question on rules correctly,the ride whent smooth observation ,singnalling etc,smooth gear changes everything whent perfect I felt.Finished in the parking lot,big smiles on my face I was Chuffed :D!

Sat at the desk,Sorry youve failed,couldnt beleive it :eek:
    Got 6 Blue flags.:mad:

1. For positioning when stopping,which was fair enough i did overshoot the line at one of the lights(in my defence it turned orange) but fair enough.

1. For competancy on the 3 point turn,cant figure out why.I assume because i was doing it on a road that hadnt got a footpath on one side of the road,thier was a walled bush. I might have gotten too close to the bush,I never touched it though, AM I TOO ASSUME THEIRS A FOOTHPATH THIER !

heres thie bit that peed me off,4 for braking,WHAT THE Fcuk?
    I asked about this he said go over it with your instructor!,ridiculous.he then goes on to say overuse of the brakes and harsh braking.

apart from the time i stoped at the orange light,their were no sudden stops and you wernt being jolted forward with whiplash evertime i stoped the car.

The say im unhappy would be an understatement

Competency in turnabout is usually if you do it in five points rather than three, or if you take too long.

What exactly do you mean by six blue flags?

No I did it in 3 points.I can do them in my sleep my instructor says perfectly.

4 blue flags in the same aspect you fail.
    sorry yeah grade 2(thier blue)

No I did it in 3 points.I can do them in my sleep my instructor says perfectly.

4 blue flags in the same aspect you fail.

Are you talking about grade 2 faults? Sorry, it's not very clear.

I feel robbed !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I feel robbed !

Try doing it 5 times, getting marks for different things every time, having 3 ADIs none the wiser as to why you're failing.

Apply again - eventually you'll get it.

Advertisement