Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scubadriver

Today I had my first driving test. I failed. I'm so disappointed, as I am very self critical and honestly cannot understand where the 24 Grade 2 marks came from. During driving lessons, I'd be the first to admit that I made a mistake etc. I'm a perfectionist and am in no way afraid to admit if I am wrong. Today, I feel was injust. I've heard that appealing will not do you any favours.

During the test, I really thought I excelled. For instance, I used the correct lanes at round abouts (including acting appropriately when another car cut lanes and went in front of me on the round about without indicating), did the hill start, reversing around the corner - all perfectly - in fact, better than I had ever done before to be honest and I got marked down all the same. I was calm and just really wish I had genuinely make big mistakes, which I could pinpoint and learn from. Even my driving instructor was shocked as the mistakes I was marked down. I am aware also that the more minor errors can add up, but I feel like only 3-4 of those were fair.

Does anyone have tips for the 'observation' section?. I checked my mirrors - I was being very clear when doing this (exaggerating neck movement slightly etc) - I checked blind spots - I checked left/right etc. As far as I'm concerned, I did it correctly.

I think I'll do pretests with other instructors, just to get other's point of views, just in case. But really- I'm now absolutely convinced the test system has many flaws and is a scam - that the testers either have to meet a quota and fail x amount of students, or they fail people so that fees have to be paid again. The testers can just put 'x's where they want and not be challenged on it, due to there being no current way of cross checking the test. Let's hope cameras are introduced in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Today I had my first driving test. I failed. I'm so disappointed, as I am very self critical and honestly cannot understand where the 24 Grade 2 marks came from. During driving lessons, I'd be the first to admit that I made a mistake etc. I'm a perfectionist and am in no way afraid to admit if I am wrong. Today, I feel was injust. I've heard that appealing will not do you any favours.

During the test, I really thought I excelled. For instance, I used the correct lanes at round abouts (including acting appropriately when another car cut lanes and went in front of me on the round about without indicating), did the hill start, reversing around the corner - all perfectly - in fact, better than I had ever done before to be honest and I got marked down all the same. I was calm and just really wish I had genuinely make big mistakes, which I could pinpoint and learn from. Even my driving instructor was shocked as the mistakes I was marked down. I am aware also that the more minor errors can add up, but I feel like only 3-4 of those were fair.

Does anyone have tips for the 'observation' section?. I checked my mirrors - I was being very clear when doing this (exaggerating neck movement slightly etc) - I checked blind spots - I checked left/right etc. As far as I'm concerned, I did it correctly.

I think I'll do pretests with other instructors, just to get other's point of views, just in case. But really- I'm now absolutely convinced the test system has many flaws and is a scam - that the testers either have to meet a quota and fail x amount of students, or they fail people so that fees have to be paid again. The testers can just put 'x's where they want and not be challenged on it, due to there being no current way of cross checking the test. Let's hope cameras are introduced in future.

For observation, I know one thing I was doing wrong was just looking the way I was going. e.g. Going straight through a green light - you need to look left and right, even if you have a green light and be prepared for all eventualities.

My instructor advised me to check my middle mirror every time I changed gear, as I'm altering my speed. Also always check all three mirrors when pulling off.

I know how you feel, I failed my test a few weeks ago for the first time. I re-applied the moment I got home, just waiting for an appointment now.

I know it may be hard to hear, but the tester is not out to fail you, they have a duty to ensure you're a competent and safe driver. If the tester had just wanted to fail you, they could have just given you 9-10 marks. But giving you 24 just indicates that there's a few things you need to think about.

I was really upset after my test but since I've been driving in the past few weeks with my mum, I have noticed small things I'm doing wrong and she's noticed a lot of small things too! Just get some more experience under your belt and reapply and hopefully things will work out well the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

I feel robbed !

Where did you do the test Cheesy?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Makaveli 27

I also failed in Tallaght about 2 weeks ago. Test was a mix to be honest, was going great, was taken on the exact same route that i was taken on during my pre test. It was at 2:50 so the schoolkids just got out on thursday which is also bin day so had to contend with that on me reverse around a corner too. Some handbag in a hyundai decided to reverse around a corner (not a practicing learner) And over into my lane right in front of me. Then When preparing to do my reverse around a corner someone else just sat behind me and refused to go around me :/ Threw me right off.
    Going back to the test centre an ambulance nearly crashed into me near the hospital hahaha.

Been driving 6 months and have driven 12,000 miles as of yesterday so racking up the experience.

Just gonna book again and hope it goes better this time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

@ Makaveli 27, out of curiosity, what did you do when the person behind you refused to move around you for your reverse?

rachos89 wrote: »
    @ Makaveli 27, out of curiosity, what did you do when the person behind you refused to move around you for your reverse?

Well your not supposed to beckon other motorists, as in wave them around you or flash your lights or anything like that so i just sat there and waited.
    After an awkward amount of time i just moved ahead then he overtook me.

did the tester mark you down for it or anything?

did the tester mark you down for it or anything?

I couldnt directly see but he covered his hand when he did give me marks so im pretty sure he did.

:( but what else were you supposed to do?!sit there and have a stalemate with the other driver?!the reason i'm so interested is I had this happen to me in a carpark, where a van pulled up right behind me to prevent me reversing into a space, and did the same thing when i tried to reverse into another, until I had to just pull into the space, wait for him to pass, then come back out and reverse into it! surely this kind of aggressive and ignorant behaviour by other drivers shouldn't affect your test?

• Advertisement

:( but what else were you supposed to do?!sit there and have a stalemate with the other driver?!the reason i'm so interested is I had this happen to me in a carpark, where a van pulled up right behind me to prevent me reversing into a space, and did the same thing when i tried to reverse into another, until I had to just pull into the space, wait for him to pass, then come back out and reverse into it! surely this kind of aggressive and ignorant behaviour by other drivers shouldn't affect your test?

Id assume the same thing? I was just unlucky to have this happen during my test i guess!

Guess so!ah well, better luck next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Oh man, that van thing is bizarre. I'd probably stay where I am, in reverse, and just wait indefinitely until he gives up (or I'm running low on fuel) :(

If this happened in a test, hopefully a good tester would take external craziness factors into account and not leave you stuck with no options (can't reverse because of weirdo blocking my way, can't go anywhere else because the tester told me to do the reverse here).

In my first test (which I failed), a very inconsiderate woman parked directly in front of me when I was halfway through a 3-point turn on a narrow road. I had to add another pair of turns to get past, by which time I was completely blocking the road for another driver who had right of way.
    The tester just said "nothing you can do about it, just carry on as normal" and I got no faults for that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

Have to leave my L Plates up for another til another day..
    Gutted isnt the word to describe it. I could have sworn I had done less then the allowed 9 Faults, 17 faults, I didnt even notice him pick up his pen 17 times to write:eek::eek:

Both ADI's were were shocked when I said I had failed let alone recieved 17 faults :(

Well Il Just reapply and Hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Then When preparing to do my reverse around a corner someone else just sat behind me and refused to go around me :/ Threw me right off.

This happened to me on my 2nd test in Westside Galway(which I passed).
    I was more or less fully reversed around the corner when a car pulled right up behind me and wouldn't move. All I did was check rear view mirror and right mirror, indicate right, pull out and then park at my original starting point around the corner again (using appropriate mirror and indicators etc). Then when the car went on it's way I did the reverse again. I didn't get any ticks for the manouvre so I assume this must be proper procedure. I had actually thought of it before it happened and had decided ahead that was what I was going to do.
    If you know the car behind is not going to move, no point waiting there looking back at them as it'll only make you sweaty and nervous. In fairness what sort of thickos do stuff like that to an obvious learner driver in a instructors car, it makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Failed second time in Rathgar yesterday. 8 blues and 1 pink for position turning right. Not entirely sure what that was for.

Got lost going to the centre and traffic was horrendous so I think i let it get to me. Definitely have the skill to pass but let myself down. Too nervous.

Next time should be better. Got 14 blues in my first test so we're making progress :)

Actually, could anyone tell me what the procedure for turning right onto Orwell Rd from the centre is and for turning right back in at the end of the test. (Position, when to go etc). Think i might have made a mess of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Failed in Raheny on Friday. Really disappointed as did much worse than my first test. Talked to my instructor afterwards & he was saying that if you do anything wrong, the tester I had will go for the jugular. Honestly don't know where a fair few of the marks I got came from but have reapplied for Finglas so here's hoping for 3rd time lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Failed in Raheny on Friday. Really disappointed as did much worse than my first test. Talked to my instructor afterwards & he was saying that if you do anything wrong, the tester I had will go for the jugular. Honestly don't know where a fair few of the marks I got came from but have reapplied for Finglas so here's hoping for 3rd time lucky!

Hey

Sorry to hear you failed. If it's any consolation, I did much worse in my 2nd test too. This was mainly because I felt I shouldn't have failed the 1st and was feeling a bit apathetic!

Got it the third time, however bear in mind, as your instructor has already said, there are massive differences between testers. It Is a bit of a lottery! Best thing Is to keep trying and you will get it!

I know people who have sat the test 4,5 or even 6 times before passing! You'll get there in the end and get your hands on that pink licence:)

matt70iu wrote: »
    Hey

Sorry to hear you failed. If it's any consolation, I did much worse in my 2nd test too. This was mainly because I felt I shouldn't have failed the 1st and was feeling a bit apathetic!

Got it the third time, however bear in mind, as your instructor has already said, there are massive differences between testers. It Is a bit of a lottery! Best thing Is to keep trying and you will get it!

I know people who have sat the test 4,5 or even 6 times before passing! You'll get there in the end and get your hands on that pink licence:)

Thanks. I just feel that, while I may have deserved to fail, I don't think that I warrented 19 grade 2's and 4 grade 3's! The fact that I have no idea where I picked up the grade 3's is also annoying. My instructor has been marking my lessons based on the test & even he's only ever given me 1 grade 3 & that was when I mounted the kerb turning the corner & knew I'd gotten one.

Ah know it's a bit of a lottery with testers so just keeping my fingers crossed for a decent enough one.

Thanks for that. Just going to keep going till I get it!

Thanks. I just feel that, while I may have deserved to fail, I don't think that I warrented 19 grade 2's and 4 grade 3's! The fact that I have no idea where I picked up the grade 3's is also annoying. My instructor has been marking my lessons based on the test & even he's only ever given me 1 grade 3 & that was when I mounted the kerb turning the corner & knew I'd gotten one.

Ah know it's a bit of a lottery with testers so just keeping my fingers crossed for a decent enough one.

That's strange about the grade 3's cuse they're really not supposed to give then unless the fault is blatently dangerous. With that reasoning, you would know where you picked them up. Sounds like the tester may have been harsh.

I picked up a g 3 on my first test and knew where I had got it. Very harsh, should have been a g 2 at most IMO!

• Advertisement

matt70iu wrote: »
    That's strange about the grade 3's cuse they're really not supposed to give then unless the fault is blatently dangerous. With that reasoning, you would know where you picked them up. Sounds like the tester may have been harsh.

I picked up a g 3 on my first test and knew where I had got it. Very harsh, should have been a g 2 at most IMO!

You see that's what I thought. I really have no problem with accepting when I do something wrong while driving but I think that if you get a mark for "potentially dangerous/dangerous" then you'd know where it came from! Ah well onwards & upwards. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yet again in Raheny - 6th fail now.
    This time for progress, which got a mention on ONE previous test and reaction to hazards which I've never had a mark for.

Goodbye Raheny, hello some country place for the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

back in November I failed my test (first time ) had 14 lessons
    felt like absolute sh1te.

so I waited until the winter was over to reply , did not take any lessons, went out myself every evening from the moment I got my next test date ,
    learned all the routes myself done a million reverse turns, hand signals , etc , and studied all the signs

also found www.drivingtesttips.ie a great help.

last monday morning I past the test with no problems at all "WOOHOOO"

Getting €114 back off the price of my car insurance

spurious wrote: »
    This time for progress, which got a mention on ONE previous test and reaction to hazards which I've never had a mark for.

Ah no!!!!! Particularly sorry to hear you failed. Well first off, well done for perseverance!!!

Yes I would suggest trying a country town route. Out west seem to have the higher pass rates, like Sligo. Maybe try navan or Nass. Did my test in navan, t can be a hit and miss test route though. When busy, it's a feckin nightmare. If quiet, you'll sail through it.

Best of luck and hang on in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I'm also desperately sorry to hear this. Your openness and honesty here has been hugely helpful to many others.
    I know from all your previous postings that you will persevere so wish you the very best for next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. I dont know how your so honest and keep going. Fair play. I really hope you pass next time lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Failed in churchtown last week. tough times. Got 14 grade 2, most of which I can link to specific incidents...however, reaction to hazards section was my biggest downfall which my instructor reckons is giving at least three feet clearance to parked cars in case a door swings open.

It was my first attempt and my only gripe with the whole thing was this new online pilot they are testing. They said on the website that specific centres were doing this thing where they let you view the calendar and see what dates / times are free and you can pick your own slot.

Perfect for me, so horsed in all the details, paid etc. only for the last screen to say the feature was in fact not available and I would go through the normal process.

Fair enough however, I the little matter of my wedding to attend to. Turns out I got my date - two days after I got back into the country! So I only got one lesson with an instructor and drove the route (which I don't know at all) once!!

When I explained this to the tester....he just trailed off Chief Wiggum style! I realise I failed my test, and propably could have been better prepared in general. But but but, why advertise this feature when it clearly was not available?

And for anyone preparing to do their tests the first time, don't let the coldness of the testers put you off, I read a few posts here in preparation about people being nervous and the tester putting people off and dismissed it considering myself to be relatively cool and collected. But it did have an effect on me, having a stranger (one who is easy to dislike too!!) in my car But don't let them get to you!:pac:

Anyway, getting ready for my next test! whu hoo!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

spurious, I've never posted in this thread before but I am an avid reader. I had my fingers crossed for you today. You're resolve is inspiring. Really hope you nail it next time.

My problem is that although I'm happy with my driving, not nervous at all, have all my manoeuvres nailed, but even the thought of applying for the test leaves my heart racing and I've convinced myself I'll fall to pieces on the day. I've never felt like this about exams in the past, so weird. I'm thinking of booking it in the next week and not mentioning it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thesparkyhound

Boxoffrogs wrote: »
    spurious, I've never posted in this thread before but I am an avid reader. I had my fingers crossed for you today. You're resolve is inspiring. Really hope you nail it next time.

My problem is that although I'm happy with my driving, not nervous at all, have all my manoeuvres nailed, but even the thought of applying for the test leaves my heart racing and I've convinced myself I'll fall to pieces on the day. I've never felt like this about exams in the past, so weird. I'm thinking of booking it in the next week and not mentioning it to anyone.
    I did that. Its great motivation the week of the test to imagine yourself ringing friends and family and being like "guess what - I passed the driving test"! It keeps ya going when ya have to go through all the lessons and practice. And if you fail no one has to know...

Of all the exams I ever sat, it was definitely the hardest in terms of its uncertainty, effort, nerves and money!

Best of luck to anyone attempting it and persevere!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cheers - I think Navan or Mullingar are the most likely.

The testers are really nice, (even Mr. Nervous in Raheny!) I haven't felt put off by any of the 5 different testers I've had at this stage. To be honest I felt more intimidated by an instructor during an early lesson than during the test.

The test and how it is conducted is fine. My problem is the lack of feedback and failing on different aspects every time. This badly shakes my confidence as I figure I must be really dreadful if I'm doing all these bad things and unaware of it.

Nearly 50, a good number of years driving a motorbike on a full licence, thirty odd lessons with a selection of instructors, three pre-tests - I thought it would be a bit more straightforward a thing to get, but I won't give up - not least because it would make life an awful lot easier. Travelling round schools visiting them dragging a big case of materials is a right pain on public transport.

Booking and not mentioning it is a good idea. You never know you could be one of the ones that gets it first time. I hope you are.

Watch Raheny's pass rate rise as I do my attempts elsewhere.:)

Advertisement