Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Failed in Cork -think the acdc music blaring might of put ya man off:eek:
    anyway when can i apply again for another test

spurious wrote: »
    Yet again in Raheny - 6th fail now.
    This time for progress, which got a mention on ONE previous test and reaction to hazards which I've never had a mark for.

Goodbye Raheny, hello some country place for the next one

Arg, was hoping to see you posting in the 'Successful - Post here' thread. Keep the spirits up though, you only need to get it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Failed in Cork -think the acdc music blaring might of put ya man off:eek:
    anyway when can i apply again for another test

So the tester allowed you to play music during the test? That's a first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Faith+1 wrote: »
    So the tester allowed you to play music during the test? That's a first.

no i was being sarcastic :p
    i forgot he was there tbh i didnt give a dam that he was in car
    failed big time even though im a grand driver
    thing abt the test is that on the day of the test is the day when your driving most dangerous -checking the mirror and blind spots all the time sure who does that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

checking the mirror and blind spots all the time sure who does that

Safe drivers who pass the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Safe drivers who pass the test.

Would have to agree. One of the most important things for me is the blind spot checking. In fact - this saved my bacon a few times since doing the test.

Look in the mirror, no one there, look over you shoulder and there's a car overtaking you in the lane you want to pull into. Happened to me a couple of times on motorways and dual carriageways!

While the use of mirrors on the test may be slightly excessive, it does encourage sound driving practise for life. No test can cover all aspects and you are always learning, no matter how long you've had your licence:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

I failed today in Galway, first time. Not a new story, but I have a full license in America (automatic) and I've taken 9 or so lessons in manual here. I'm constantly practicing on the bf's manual car. 400 euros spent so far on the process.

My instructor was certain I'd pass. Now I wasn't 100% confident or anything, but I'd assume if I failed, it would at least be minor and I'd apply straight away for a new test. TWENTY SIX grade twos later, I'm wondering what went wrong.

I'm not one to blame the tester or the instructor, but obviously I went horribly wrong somewhere if there were 26 grade twos. I got one grade two on reversing, which is fair enough, due to some nerves my reverse around the corner was a bit wide. I got one on parking. I did botch up that parking job a bit coming in (despite loads of parking experience), although I did reverse and correct it.

12 of the faults were on vehicle controls, notably 4 on steering. My instructor had told me hand over hand was just fine, but obviously the tester had a difference of opinion. I'm surprised because my instructor came highly recommended and has the most good reviews of anyone I've seen online.

I'm seriously considering giving up and taking the test on an automatic car. Yes, I realize I would be limiting my options, especially in regard to use of my bf's car. He would like me to give it another shot in manual, of course, but he's reluctantly agreed to trade in the car for an automatic if I don't feel able to take the test in manual.

Normally I'm not one to give up, but after 26 grade twos, I feel like a major change is in order and I'm thinking a change to automatic would lessen a few of those 12 vehicle controls faults.

I'm quite frustrated at the whole process and the cost here. If I had decided to live in France or Germany, I would be able to trade in my license for a new one there, but for some reason Ireland doesn't allow this.

I'm half-jokingly considering moving to Germany for 6 months, establishing residency, trading in my American license for a German one, and then the German one for an Irish one.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

12 of the faults were on vehicle controls, notably 4 on steering. My instructor had told me hand over hand was just fine, but obviously the tester had a difference of opinion. I'm surprised because my instructor came highly recommended and has the most good reviews of anyone I've seen online.

I'm seriously considering giving up and taking the test on an automatic car. Yes, I realize I would be limiting my options, especially in regard to use of my bf's car. He would like me to give it another shot in manual, of course, but he's reluctantly agreed to trade in the car for an automatic if I don't feel able to take the test in manual.

Normally I'm not one to give up, but after 26 grade twos, I feel like a major change is in order and I'm thinking a change to automatic would lessen a few of those 12 vehicle controls faults.
    4 is a lot of faults to get for steering - I also thought hand-over-hand was fine or at worst a grade one fault, and that grade two faults would be things like taking both hands off the wheel or letting it slip back through your fingers after a turn.

You have to bear in mind there is a very large random variability in test outcomes, down to performance on the day and, unfortunately, the tester who went out with you. Sadly they don't have to explain any of their reasoning or specify where you picked up particular faults. Unbelievable really. In any case, failing, even badly, doesn't mean that you're necessarily a bad driver. Don't be too discouraged.

On switching for an automatic, if you really feel like it'll make the difference between passing and failing, then why not get an auto, pass the test in it, and then do the test again in a manual at some point in the future? That way there won't be as much pressure on it, and you'll be comfortable with the other aspects of Irish driving.

Thanks for the encouragement, zynaps. I agree with you. 4 is quite a lot for steering! I asked the tester what the faults were for (I realize he had no responsibility to tell me) and he mentioned that I crossed my hands while turning and "that's not how you hold the wheel." That's pretty much all he said about that. Quite possibly he saw something else he didn't like, but he didn't articulate it to me clearly if so.

I may very well try on automatic and switch later. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make between passing and failing, since I still got 14 marks, which had nothing to do with the controls (although maybe I'd be better able to focus on them if I wasn't focused on the manual element).

I'm still not 100% what I'll do yet, as I'm still in a bit of shock since the fail.

I do know that I'm not going back to my instructor though. I don't think there was much difference between my driving on the lesson, and my driving on the test and I was led to believe by my instructor that I had a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 june77

hi americandriver. don't worry and keep at it! i'm originally from the states and i failed my test on thursday (in navan). I learned on an automatic in a country with no roundabouts and big, straight roads and where the test is not all that difficult. The novelty of not driving here really appealed to me and so i was not bothered to drive here. i finally decided to give in and got my permit last summer. my big problem is getting the clutch and gas pedals- i'm having a really hard time with that and that was the main reason i failed. Also, crossing arms is something i always did and i feel safer doing it- but it is not allowed on the test and my instructor was always giving out to me for that. I did alot of practice on different roundabouts and looked for towns with hills, and parked cars on both sides of really narrow streets and i'm continuing with the manual. Keep going and get out and practice as much as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

American Driver, keep at it! At least try for another test, you might be surprised by how a different tester will mark you!

Just a question - I thought if you did a bad parking job but corrected it, you didn't get a fault? My instructor told me that as long as the car is between the two lines when you get out you shouldn't get a mark for it?

Lizt, the car was straight and in between the two lines when we got out. And the mark was in the competency spot (grade 2).

My instructor never warned me about that either. I suppose it's not an excuse. years of parking experience, but nerves got to me there. The tester kinda of took me by surprise. I was told by the instructor that the tester would just say, "Pull over and park" and I could pick a spot to my liking, but it was more like, "Park right there. THAT SPOT" even though there were loads of spaces. So I'd already kind of passed the spot and should have just picked another spot but I steered the wheel all the way to the left, reversed back slightly (after checking mirrors, blindspots on both sides) and pulled forward. The car was then straight and right in the middle.

In any case, the bf convinced me to give it another go. I booked another test. Thanks for all the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

Just out of curiosity, as I have my test next week, how long will I have to wait if I fail? I know there is a minumum set out, three weeks?, but realistically will I be waiting more like 10 - 12 weeks like when I booked it the first time? Or are they quicker the second time about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

you can apply for a cancellation which should be quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

CylonYoda wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, as I have my test next week, how long will I have to wait if I fail? I know there is a minumum set out, three weeks?, but realistically will I be waiting more like 10 - 12 weeks like when I booked it the first time? Or are they quicker the second time about?

Hi

No there's no difference 2nd or third time around. Best thing to do, if booking online, make sure you check the box saying you're willing to take a cancellation and you should get it very quickly.

I booked mine end of jan and had it near the end of feb, so probably about 4 weeks if you take a cancellation.

Better still, if you ring them, they might be able to give you a date even sooner. Hope you pass:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Yep, I booked a cancellation after failing my first test. Passed the second test 3 weeks later. Worth doing :)

[edit]
    Actually no, I failed, then waited about two weeks, then booked the second test and took it 3 weeks after that :) So I'm not sure what the minimum delay between tests is, if there is one...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Failed today. 2nd time.....So there I was breezing home...2 corners away from the Finglas test centre. Only 5 blue X's...I get the the junction of Jmestown rd and Sycamore road (to do a left towards test centre and I encroached over the white line at the [edestrian crossing by about 12 inches). He gave me a red x for that.

Absolutely fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

CD-R 80 wrote: »
    Failed today. 2nd time.....So there I was breezing home...2 corners away from the Finglas test centre. Only 5 blue X's...I get the the junction of Jmestown rd and Sycamore road (to do a left towards test centre and I encroached over the white line at the [edestrian crossing by about 12 inches). He gave me a red x for that.

Absolutely fuming.
    That junction catches a lot of people out. The stop line is about seven metres before the tramlines of the pedestrian crossing. If you were a foot past the stop line that would be harsh (only warrented if a large vehicle was struggling to make the turn because of you). But if you were way pst this line and up near the lines for the pedestrians, then you would have to accept the size of that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

ADIDriving wrote: »
    That junction catches a lot of people out. The stop line is about seven metres before the tramlines of the pedestrian crossing. If you were a foot past the stop line that would be harsh (only warrented if a large vehicle was struggling to make the turn because of you). But if you were way pst this line and up near the lines for the pedestrians, then you would have to accept the size of that mistake.

The paintwork at that junction needs to be redone. Its quite faint.

Do you reckon my mistake is worthy of a red x?

I've calmed down since this morning :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ach, I had my test at 3 o'clock today in Carlow. Failed it, 6 blues, 1 RED.

There was a good bit of traffic around town and the roundabouts were busy. I was doing grand up until the third last roundabout.I got a red in the right of way section as I pulled on to the roundabout before the fella on the inside lane had crossed over and had to almost come to a stop on the roundabout. I should have waited untill he cleared the exit before going onto the roundabout, but I was afraid of getting a blue for progression if I sat there any longer. I got two blues in progress ( On the straight and changing lanes), two in position ( both on the straight) , 1 for hazard and 1 for Vehicle control ( Gears)

I'm goin to apply for cancellation, but would it be likely to get a test in the next 29 days as I'll be going abroad for a month and I'd like to have another bight of the cherry before I go all rusty.

I hope I get the same examiner next time though as he was very fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Rothmans wrote: »
    Ach, I had my test at 3 o'clock today in Carlow. Failed it, 6 blues, 1 RED.

There was a good bit of traffic around town and the roundabouts were busy. I was doing grand up until the third last roundabout.I got a red in the right of way section as I pulled on to the roundabout before the fella on the inside lane had crossed over and had to almost come to a stop on the roundabout. I should have waited untill he cleared the exit before going onto the roundabout, but I was afraid of getting a blue for progression if I sat there any longer. I got two blues in progress ( On the straight and changing lanes), two in position ( both on the straight) , 1 for hazard and 1 for Vehicle control ( Gears)

I'm goin to apply for cancellation, but would it be likely to get a test in the next 29 days as I'll be going abroad for a month and I'd like to have another bight of the cherry before I go all rusty.

I hope I get the same examiner next time though as he was very fair.

Thats unlucky mate, at least you know you were on the right track before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ilovemybed

Mine was awful :(

First of all in the short space of walking from the center to the car, the tester asked me was I nervous to which I replied 'Sure if the car starts, we'll be laughing' popped the bonnet and it was all going grand.
    Drove down the road and the examiner told me to turn left..... so I indicated right and lined up to turn right then realised I was going wrong and said it to him , panicked and cut out. Got beeped off by a granny behind me and couldnt get going again until the second attempt at starting the engine!

Total disaster from then on in. Longest half hour of my life. I was instructed down a road to do my turnabout on road with green bins eveywhere. Not one bin was on the path and I had to negotiate between them all. I did that grand, despite it being in very close proximity to my house and I was so scared I would see people I know cos i didnt tell anyone !

So driving on then blah blah blah coming back up to the centre the tester said to pull in there and of course I pull in and the passenger door is parallel to a tree meaning the tester has to tell me to move up more or he would have to stay in the car.

AWKWARD walk back to the center and BAM, unfortunatly your attempt today was unsuccessful!! :( SAD FACE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Sounds like a nightmare!!! sorry to hear that :(

I came home and cried at the thoughts of having to pay for more lessons and another 85 euro for a test :'(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ilovemybed wrote: »
    I came home and cried at the thoughts of having to pay for more lessons and another 85 euro for a test :'(

I'd better not tell you my story so.

No, onwards and upwards, apply again - it will be a different day, different tester and you've as good a chance as any of passing.

Ah spurious go on tell us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Failed my test yesterday for the third time. Three grade 2 faults (nerves mostly but fair enough) and one grade 3 fault for Progress at lights, basically because it was heavy traffic and I didn't break the lights on a turn. Aside from that it was an empty sheet. Didn't obstruct any right of way and I have checked the RSA's own marking guidelines and, far from deserving a grade 3 for that, I would have been faulted had I gone under the Traffic Controls section.

Have never had a grade 3 fault before and the thing is, I'd make the exact same decision again because it would not have been safe for me to go.

On my second test, my examiner actually told me I was a safe driver. He failed me. I wrote it off as bad luck, maybe I needed more practice to calm my nerves. And here I am with mostly a clean sheet and what I feel to be a completely unjust fail. And the amount of money I have spent on lessons and the test itself is a fortune. And my nerves are shot. I can't write it off this time. It's not just bad luck. I was shafted.

That's it for me and the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

BeefJerkyX wrote: »
    Failed my test yesterday for the third time. Three grade 2 faults (nerves mostly but fair enough) and one grade 3 fault for Progress at lights, basically because it was heavy traffic and I didn't break the lights on a turn. Aside from that it was an empty sheet. Didn't obstruct any right of way and I have checked the RSA's own marking guidelines and, far from deserving a grade 3 for that, I would have been faulted had I gone under the Traffic Controls section.

Have never had a grade 3 fault before and the thing is, I'd make the exact same decision again because it would not have been safe for me to go.

On my second test, my examiner actually told me I was a safe driver. He failed me. I wrote it off as bad luck, maybe I needed more practice to calm my nerves. And here I am with mostly a clean sheet and what I feel to be a completely unjust fail. And the amount of money I have spent on lessons and the test itself is a fortune. And my nerves are shot. I can't write it off this time. It's not just bad luck. I was shafted.

That's it for me and the test.

I don't get how you could possibly be marked down for not breaking a light. I'm not doubting you, but where exactly on the road where you? Had you taken control of the junction?

Oh, and don't give up, my sister failed three times before passing. It's not always true that third time is a charm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Yeah, I should have explained it further as just saying I didn't break a light makes it sound much more dramatic than it was (I've played it out in my head so many times, I'm just stripping it to the basics). There was more to it than that and it actually makes some sense in terms of being a fault because, yes, I had taken control of the junction. What I would massively doubt is the severity of the fault on paper but, in the reality of the actual situation, I wouldn't call it a fault at all. Basically, it was a right turn, so I had moved up a bit to take position (wasn't a yellow box junction or anything). There was loads of slow oncoming traffic, so the light went red and they took a while to clear the junction. It wasn't a junction with a filter light so that was never going to happen. Now, you could say at this point that I should have made the turn to clear that junction.That's what I was marked for.

But the light wasn't just amber. It was red and red for some time. The traffic to the right of me had their green and were moving off. I could have risked nipping in in front of them but, to me, it wouldn't have been safe (and, as it turned out, they moved off fast probably because they had been waiting for the line of traffic to clear). As I wasn't blocking any traffic on the junction, I decided to stay put and wait for the next green. But, yes, I had taken control of the junction and so I could be marked for lack of progress by not moving off. My fault is that I didn't take it for granted that I'd be let go. I have checked it with an instructor and basically there are two points in that scenario I could have gone but they both depend on it being very safe to do so, so it really is a judgement call. And the examiner cited me waiting for that second green as the fault. Perhaps he upgraded it, given that there were two places and not just one where I could have technically moved off but, after a pretty good test sheet and having shown I was a safe driver, I can't reconcile that with what is written in the RSA Marking Guidelines about the purpose of a Grade 3 fault - dangerous driving and total disregard of traffic signals.

Ultimately, I was safe. Didn't delay anyone except me and the examiner for no more than it takes for a light to change. And failed on that alone.

The big issue with the test for me is, to be honest, me. I know it's totally different for everyone and some people are fine in a test scenario but I find the test to be a hideous nerve-wracking experience. What it has taken out of me, not least financially, is just too much. After being told by the examiner in my 2nd test that I was a safe driver, this was going to be the one. I worked my ass off for the test. Overcoming my test nerves was a war in itself. And I was convinced I passed, even knowing that I made the decision to wait at that junction. The fail result hit me like a brick. I haven't been the same since. I realise that probably sounds like total dramatics to some, but others will know what the nerves and hype and pressure of a test like that can do. I wish I had the nerves of steel that some have!

I really don't think I can put myself through it again and knowing I failed for basically making a decision to stay safe, one that didn't fit with a grade 3 fault as stated in the RSA Marking Guidelines, makes it so much worse. I realise each examiner has to call it like he or she sees it and there's a huge amount of personal judgement in there, but there has to be a better way than that. At least for those of us with shattered nerves!

Advertisement