Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

That really sounds like rotten luck, and like you said, it's a judgement call. My instructor always told me to complete the turn once I had taken possession of a junction but it can feel really hairy especially when it looks like oncoming traffic are revving to go.

It sounds like you have got so much right that it would be a shame not to give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Thanks. You're right of course - logic totally tells me you're right. But, man, the thought of doing it again. I probably just need a bit of time to get over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 traymad

Failed in Raheny!! Taught i did really good, then the tester just goes ok bad news you failed!!!! Got 4 grade twos on(on one line) meaning i failed anyway but 4 grade twos for not given enough distance to stationary vehicles!! If i went any further away from them id be on the footpath on the otherside of the road!! So now to re apply and spend another 85€ for a test!!

For a pepeat test they should have half price or something cause it is so expensixve

But anyway, you win some and lose some and today was my day to lose!! Maybe next time ill do it earlier in the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fantabulous

traymad wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny!! Taught i did really good, then the tester just goes ok bad news you failed!!!! Got 4 grade twos on(on one line) meaning i failed anyway but 4 grade twos for not given enough distance to stationary vehicles!! If i went any further away from them id be on the footpath on the otherside of the road!! So now to re apply and spend another 85€ for a test!!

For a pepeat test they should have half price or something cause it is so expensixve

But anyway, you win some and lose some and today was my day to lose!! Maybe next time ill do it earlier in the week!

Haha no way! I got 4 grade 2s for that too in Raheny and it cost me to fail, had only one or two other marks on the whole thing. We must have had the same guy. He told me he was close to giving me a grade 3 for it. Sure he might as well have given me the grade 3 too, he failed me on it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 traymad

Haha no way! I got 4 grade 2s for that too in Raheny and it cost me to fail, had only one or two other marks on the whole thing. We must have had the same guy. He told me he was close to giving me a grade 3 for it. Sure he might as well have given me the grade 3 too, he failed me on it anyway!

Its so annoying the way you dont really know excatly where u made your mistakes, just an X and thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

So now to re apply and spend another 85€ for a test!!

Its about making money, not better/safer drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Its so annoying the way you dont really know excatly where u made your mistakes, just an X and thats it.

This is a major flaw in the test. Been thinking a lot about it since my fail mid-week. For me, either a) I was right, in which case I shouldn't have failed, or b) I was wrong, and it was a fair grade 3 fault. But, if it was b, that I walked away from that test being so sure of a means I got nothing from that test except a fail. And, given what the rest of the results sheet looked like, they have nothing to gain either except the price of another test. Makes no sense to me.

I should say though, on my second failure, I got an examiner who went out of his way to explain every fault and give me specific instances on our route, even drawing diagrams. I came out of that knowing exactly what he would have wanted to see and what it would have taken to pass. It really helped and the guy deserves a lot of credit for it. Seems to be rare. My first examiner was a miserable grunting grump who shot my nerves through the roof, for example. Would be good if you got a feeling that they were there to help. Not there to psyche you out or find an excuse to fail you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

Just failed this morning in Finglas, felt it was very unfair

I was very confident going into it and I even thought during the test I had done well, despite being brought out miles away to an unknown area. I knew I had picked up a few marks, but I didn't think enough of them to fail.

The marks I felt were unfair were a grade 2 fault in progression under moving off. When I was doing the secondary controls check, the last thing I was asked about was demisting the front windscreen. I of course demonstrated by turning on the fans to clear. I was then told to pull out of the car park. I put it into gear, did my observation etc etc and was about to release the handbrake to pull out when I realised the fans were still on from demisting the windscreen. It was warm so I decided to turn them off before moving off. I quickly put the car back in neutral and turned them off, but as it had probably been at least 15-20 seconds since I did my observation when I was initially about to pull out and it was a very busy carpark, I decided I should redo my observation before pulling out, so I did and off I went without a problem.

The tester told me afterwards that I received a mark against me for moving off progression here because of the time I took rechecking my mirrors, he said the first time I did it was enough. I don't think this seems right at all, as surely in a busy carpark with several people walking around 15-20 seconds is more than enough time for someone to walk up behind your car before you pull out.

Two more I got that I felt were during the turn about and reverse around the corner. Both were done in relatively tight areas, so I completed them using primarily the clutch and brake, as I had been told to do by my instructor during these situations. The tester told me I should have been using the accelerator instead of just clutch control. This the total opposite to what I've been taught.

If it wasn't for these things I would've passed. I've tried to book another test immediately and get in on a cancellation asap while everything from my lessons is still fresh in my mind, but I've just been told I have to wait 3 weeks before I can retest! I'm pissed off because not only is it costing me more money for the retest, but I'll need a lesson or two between now and then in order to stay sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I've be a lurker of this forum for quit a bit now but the more I read about the fail rate in Finglas the more I dread my own test. RSA seriously need to get there act together !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've be a lurker of this forum for quit a bit now but the more I read about the fail rate in Finglas the more I dread my own test. RSA seriously need to get there act together !

Oh jakers, I'm heading there next Tuesday on a cancellation.:eek:

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Oh jakers, I'm heading there next Tuesday on a cancellation.:eek:

I don't mean to sound negative but I do feel for people who have to keep spending €85 on a test each time. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't mean to sound negative but I do feel for people who have to keep spending €85 on a test each time. :(
    I feel ya. This is my 7th test.:o
    I was trying to work out how much I've spent now on lessons, tests, pre-tests, paying someone to cover for me at work etc. - it's heading for over 1500 euro.

Like others, I find the really frustrating thing is that there is no proper feedback, just an x in a section and you are left none the wiser as to what went wrong. That and the fact that it's different things every test.

I'd love to see the results of a voluntary random selection of full licence holders being made take the test again. I've been a passenger of full licence holders whose driving would turn you white over night and yet off they go on their merry way.

I feel ya. This is my 7th test.:o
    I was trying to work out how much I've spent now on lessons, tests, pre-tests, paying someone to cover for me at work etc. - it's heading for over 1500 euro.

Like I said earlier I've being keeping my eye on this forum a lot lately and know about how many times you have taking the test, I think at this rate you deserve some sort of discount because I can't begin to imagine how much money you have pumped into getting a full licence.
    Like others, I find the really frustrating thing is that there is no proper feedback, just an x in a section and you are left none the wiser as to what went wrong. That and the fact that it's different things every test.

This is why the RSA need to get there head out of there arses.
    I'd love to see the results of a voluntary random selection of full licence holders being made take the test again. I've been a passenger of full licence holders whose driving would turn you white over night and yet off they go on their merry way.

Took the words right out of my mouth on that one. Turning white :D I usually have those moments of grabbing the armrest/door handle when I feel something could happening :P

Best of luck with your test btw :)

Hopefully I'll never have to post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

zonny wrote: »

Two more I got that I felt were during the turn about and reverse around the corner. Both were done in relatively tight areas, so I completed them using primarily the clutch and brake, as I had been told to do by my instructor during these situations. The tester told me I should have been using the accelerator instead of just clutch control. This the total opposite to what I've been taught.

I have been taught the exact same procedure as yourself.

In fairness I dont believe the instructors know for sure.

I was with 2 different instructors in the space of several days and both had different interpretations of how some basic stuff should be done.

Example: One says clutch - handbrake - gear whilst the other favours clutch - gear - handbrake.

That confused me somewhat but I believe it is all down to personal preference as regards the instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

redout wrote: »
    I have been taught the exact same procedure as yourself.

In fairness I dont believe the instructors know for sure.

I was with 2 different instructors in the space of several days and both had different interpretations of how some basic stuff should be done.

Example: One says clutch - handbrake - gear whilst the other favours clutch - gear - handbrake.

That confused me somewhat but I believe it is all down to personal preference as regards the instructors.

I had a similar experience with dramatically different sets of instructions from different instructors. The first instructor I had was absolutely terrible though, while the one I'm with now is excellent, so I've just stuck with his method.

I think theres also a big element of luck involved in terms of which tester you get though and what that tester is looking for (not to mention what side of bed they got out of that morning)

I'm still absolutely disgusted about that mark for rechecking my mirrors because it had been 15-20 seconds since I previously checked them while in a busy car park.

A word of advice for anyone doing a test in Finglas, there are at least two testers there who don't like taking people around Finglas, instead they bring you around Ballymun and Santry. I was brought there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

failed today all im gonna say is its a ****ing joke. its all about money making and that was very clear from my test. i had some stupid woman in the back seat aswell which was a serious distraction as whenever you look back u see her ugly fat head in your way and she was lying down on my seats for the reverse. joke.

shblob wrote: »
    failed today all im gonna say is its a ****ing joke. its all about money making and that was very clear from my test. i had some stupid woman in the back seat aswell which was a serious distraction as whenever you look back u see her ugly fat head in your way and she was lying down on my seats for the reverse. joke.

Why was she there ? :confused:

Thats sounds horrible.

I presume that she was doing a proficiency check or whatever on your examiner.

I have heard about this sort of thing before.

I dont think that there is much you can do about it.

Bit of a downer considering most people are going to be nervous enough going into a test as it is.

I know in Spain for instance that it is normal practice for the examiner to sit in the back, instructor (yes really!) in front and possibly another student of the instructor in the back also to allow 2 tests in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

It took me five times to pass and got more stressful with every test. My children passed their test before me and I had been driving for years.

bmarley wrote: »
    It took me five times to pass and got more stressful with every test. My children passed their test before me and I had been driving for years.

I wouldnt worry about it - at least you got there.

A lot of it comes down to luck on the day.

You could get a fairly strict examiner, the heavens could open up, could have a fool in front of you who does something to put you off or maybe you could have a 9am exam when the roads especially around the likes of finglas are jammers as opposed to say an 11/12 slot when things are much quieter etc.

• Advertisement

Thats sounds horrible.

I presume that she was doing a proficiency check or whatever on your examiner.

I have heard about this sort of thing before.

I dont think that there is much you can do about it.

Bit of a downer considering most people are going to be nervous enough going into a test as it is.

I know in Spain for instance that it is normal practice for the examiner to sit in the back, instructor (yes really!) in front and possibly another student of the instructor in the back also to allow 2 tests in one go.
    yep she was doing something for the tester, very annoying to say the least and i know for a fact he was out to fail me, the route was a joke, the hardest thing ive ever driven in, 45 minutes of pure nightmare. it was so busy, people kept running onto the road infront of me, people cutting in front of me, when i started doing the turnabout 2 cars come out of no where, when i was doing the reverse a car came behind me and one from the side aswell. roadworks in a few places, lots of windy narrow estates with double parked cars.

I dont think anybody could have passed there today.

I wouldnt worry about it - at least you got there.

A lot of it comes down to luck on the day.

You could get a fairly strict examiner, the heavens could open up, could have a fool in front of you who does something to put you off or maybe you could have a 9am exam when the roads especially around the likes of finglas are jammers as opposed to say an 11/12 slot when things are much quieter etc.
    12 o clock naas, try it ;) i couldnt believe how busy it was on a weekday at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

yep she was doing something for the tester, very annoying to say the least and i know for a fact he was out to fail me, the route was a joke, the hardest thing ive ever driven in, 45 minutes of pure nightmare. it was so busy, people kept running onto the road infront of me, people cutting in front of me, when i started doing the turnabout 2 cars come out of no where, when i was doing the reverse a car came behind me and one from the side aswell. roadworks in a few places, lots of windy narrow estates with double parked cars.

I dont think anybody could have passed there today.

I believe you OP. There are certain things you must do on the day of the test in order to pass. However, there are so many other variables that I firmly believe there is a lot of luck involved also.

I passed my test a while back and yes, I acknowledge that there was quite a lot of luck involved. No one pulled out in front of me, very few roadworks and no one trying to get behind me on the reverse. These are all factors.

What annoys me Is when someone who passes the test makes out like it was their pure skill at driving that got them through. Very arrogant IMO, as you will still be learning about driving for the rest of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

Shblob While i totally agree that it can be down to luck at times (tester in a good mood and such).I think a busy time is a best time to do your test as you have more traffic and as such your test slows down a bit and there is more than lightly chance you will get more rests in it which is a good thing, as for the hardest thing you could have driven in, i think that is what a test should be,if you can do the hardest things right everything else should be easy in your motoring life.
    The luck in the test is the 50/50 decisions,if the tester is in a good mood no mark if he/she is having a bad day it could be a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Failed for the 3rd time in Rathgar on Monday (2nd time in Rathgar).

Got a Grade 3 for Observation when changing lanes.

Thought it was unfair tbh, as I didn't see two lanes, just one wide road.

Instructor was very helpful though and did go through it with me at the end.

4th time lucky? ;)

timogen wrote: »
    Shblob While i totally agree that it can be down to luck at times (tester in a good mood and such).I think a busy time is a best time to do your test as you have more traffic and as such your test slows down a bit and there is more than lightly chance you will get more rests in it which is a good thing, as for the hardest thing you could have driven in, i think that is what a test should be,if you can do the hardest things right everything else should be easy in your motoring life.
    The luck in the test is the 50/50 decisions,if the tester is in a good mood no mark if he/she is having a bad day it could be a fault.
    I have no problem with driving in traffic, but this wasnt just traffic on a main road, it was on little windy estate roads with double parked cars and pedestrians walking onto the road in front of you.

This is what annoys me about such a situation. You get reaction to hazard marks when cars drive out in front of you or pedestrians. But if you go slow, you will get marked on progress. So you can't win in this situation.

As for the hardest thing I've ever driven in, I don't mean that, I mean the fact its impossible to pass in a test situation where you have to do progress and look for hazards and crap, you have to keep looking in the mirrors stupidly etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

The apparent propensity to give out progression faults is questionable, especially in situations where you genuinely are using your best judgement to maximise safety.

It should never be a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", but unfortunately it often seems to work out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Have my test on the 28th. feel so nervous already, failed once and I'm convinced I will fail again :(

zynaps wrote: »
    The apparent propensity to give out progression faults is questionable, especially in situations where you genuinely are using your best judgement to maximise safety.

It should never be a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", but unfortunately it often seems to work out that way.
    I got a few for turning left and right aswell, there were parked cars on the very corners on alot of the estates and in one case a little truck on the corner!! its hard to know exactly what to do here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Was really hoping I wouldnt have to post here today :(... Got off to a terrible start... the tester told me to take the next left and I didn't hear correctly so as I got to the turn he start shouting at me to stop, nearly gave me a heart attack! I jammed on the brakes and took the turn (He didnt even give me a fault for this!). After the turn he told me to pull in and he again started to shout at me about how to follow directions :o, really threw me off and I got so nervous. Got 10 grade 2's altho mostly for observation

7 for taking proper observation - I cannot even explain what went wrong :eek:
    1 for react promply and properly to hazards
    1 for use mirrors properly
    1 for yield right of way as required

Honestly can't believe I did so bad on observation but at least I know exactly what I need to work on.... and will be prepared for angry tester people next time :(

Advertisement