Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

So sorry to hear it didn't go well for ya. The testers are supposed to make you feel at ease and unless getting getting shouted at does this, this guy did a pretty lousy job.

No matter what your personal circumstances, you can't take it out on your test candidates! Just keep at it, most the testers are ok, mine was grumpy and silent but then again, I don't think many of them went to charm school:)

Chin up, put in for the next one, and once you pass it's the best feeling in the world!

Keep us posted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Yeah theres no point in dwelling on it, gonna reapply first thing tomoro and hopefully I get a cancellation pretty soon and can pass this time round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Your observation needs to be really obvious. Best to ham it up just a little bit, especially your left wing mirror. The instructor won't notice you glance at it, as much as give it a proper good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Yeah gotta practice being really dramatic at it :D think my problem is i'm doin mirrors and blindspots as one movement so just gota practice separating them. Retest booked so hopefully I get a cancellation pretty soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

condra wrote: »
    Your observation needs to be really obvious. Best to ham it up just a little bit, especially your left wing mirror. The instructor won't notice you glance at it, as much as give it a proper good look.

Dunno if this is the case. I tried this and if anything I was like a bobblehead last time I did the test and so itis more likely my observation faults are I wasn't looking forward enough as I was craning my neck left and right all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Dunno if this is the case. I tried this and if anything I was like a bobblehead last time I did the test and so itis more likely my observation faults are I wasn't looking forward enough as I was craning my neck left and right all the time.

just remember to use your middle mirror when changing gears, slowing down. Observe all the way out through your windscreen (sounds stupid but the way my instructor explained it to me - if the tester says that house on the left is lovely, isn't it? You should be aware that there is a house there - sounds a bit stupid now but it made sense to me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Failed today in Rathgar, 10 blues, 3 greens, no reds. Second time failing up there but the first time I wasn't ready for it. This time I was 100% ready though. Failed on observation even though I was very observant :confused:. My instructor was also surprised I failed on this.

Asked the tester why he failed me and he couldn't think of a valid reason imo. One thing he said was that in estates a kid could have ran out on the road kicking a football. Now this test was at 9:15, there were no kids around, I was going 30-40km/hr, was in 2nd gear and looked in my mirrors and around me before making my turns.

Got no faults on all of my manouvres, they were all perfect so I suppose thats something.

My tester was very rude and I just felt he was prejudace against me because he thought I was a boy racer even though I got no marks for speeding. He also seemed to be in a bad mood as it was early on a monday morning.

I was just unlucky to get this guy I guess. He even told me to apply for a cancellation as I will get it next time which to me says " yeah I could have passed you".

Anyway sela-vi I know I will get it next time!

Keep up the practice though, and do apply for a cancellation. You only need to pass it once.

Interestingly, I've never heard of this before but my brother's girlfriend passed there recently with 0 marks at all on the sheet (no grade 1s even!). She had failed 2 or 3 times at this stage!

Have my test tomorrow morning at 9.15. So expect a post in this thread from me at about 10.30!

So so annoyed - failed my test today (2nd time). I had 7 grade twos and I got a grade 3 on the LAST right turn I did :( I was coming out of a junction, left was clear and I looked right and there was a van turning right (into the road I was coming out of). All clear, I thought so I pulled out, didn't see the car that was speeding up behind the van. The car had to break a little but we didn't really come close. And he gave me a grade 3. I understand why but I'm just so annoyed because I would have passed if it wasn't for that!! :mad::mad::mad::(

My driving instructor had another girl doing the test before me and she passed and he said I was a better driver. Suppose you can just be lucky, if that car hadn't been behind the van I would have got it.

Oh well, all I can do is spend another 80 odd euro and reapply. Third time's the charm apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

lizt wrote: »
    So so annoyed - failed my test today (2nd time). I had 7 grade twos and I got a grade 3 on the LAST right turn I did :( I was coming out of a junction, left was clear and I looked right and there was a van turning right (into the road I was coming out of). All clear, I thought so I pulled out, didn't see the car that was speeding up behind the van. The car had to break a little but we didn't really come close. And he gave me a grade 3. I understand why but I'm just so annoyed because I would have passed if it wasn't for that!! :mad::mad::mad::(

My driving instructor had another girl doing the test before me and she passed and he said I was a better driver. Suppose you can just be lucky, if that car hadn't been behind the van I would have got it.

Oh well, all I can do is spend another 80 odd euro and reapply. Third time's the charm apparently!

Hard luck you will surely get it next time, I was actually thinking what would the best thing to do in that situation, wait until the car has turned off or go when hes clearly turning off.

threein99 wrote: »
    Hard luck you will surely get it next time, I was actually thinking what would the best thing to do in that situation, wait until the car has turned off or go when hes clearly turning off.

I somehow got it in my head that he was giving me marks for progress so I thought I better get out of here quick but in the end I didn't get any marks for progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I somehow got it in my head that he was giving me marks for progress so I thought I better get out of here quick but in the end I didn't get any marks for progress!

That seems pretty harsh alright, how far out on the road did you actually go before braking ?

threein99 wrote: »
    That seems pretty harsh alright, how far out on the road did you actually go before braking ?

I didn't break. What happened was I only saw the van, not the car behind it. So as I crossed on to the main road, the car came speeding from behind the van and was quite close to me (not within hitting distance though).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

My ADI had a student recently fail in a very similar situation except there was no car coming. She went out from a yield having not waited to see what might be behind a nearby parked car. She had very few mistakes so it seemed kinda cruel, he could have given her a G2 for lack of observation if he reckoned she was generally good. Still I suppose its one way to remember to look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Failed for the 3rd time in Finglas. 6 blues and 1 red for "Maintain reasonable progress & undue hesitancy when....at traffic lights".

It happened at a main road (forget the name of the road) where I was to turn right, the light was green (the filter light to go right was off) but there was oncoming traffic, I waitied at the lights instead of the middle of the junction). Thats twice in Finglas I've been done by a red mark. Schoolboy mistakes. Now another €85 to be forked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Failed today in Waterford... failed me for the 3 point turn and reverse around corner it seemed, really surprised to as though why he did. I did all the checks and looking around, and did them in reasonable speed. 2 Blue marks each for competency and observation. I always did them fine in practice though so really pissed off right now. Would have passed otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Failed today in Waterford... failed me for the 3 point turn and reverse around corner it seemed, really surprised to as though why he did. I did all the checks and looking around, and did them in reasonable speed. 2 Blue marks each for competency and observation. I always did them fine in practice though so really pissed off right now. Would have passed otherwise.

Chin up fella. No point in being annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Driver2

CD-R 80 wrote: »
    Failed for the 3rd time in Finglas. 6 blues and 1 red for "Maintain reasonable progress & undue hesitancy when....at traffic lights".

It happened at a main road (forget the name of the road) where I was to turn right, the light was green (the filter light to go right was off) but there was oncoming traffic, I waitied at the lights instead of the middle of the junction). Thats twice in Finglas I've been done by a red mark. Schoolboy mistakes. Now another €85 to be forked out.

EXACT SAME THING! Main light was green, but the filter arrow was off. There was loads of oncoming traffic. Stayed at lights instead of the middle of the junction. Failed me on that. Not another single grade on the whole test.

Thank fcuk I happened to see your post. I was sure he was just out to get me.

But he probably was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Driver2 wrote: »
    EXACT SAME THING! Main light was green, but the filter arrow was off. There was loads of oncoming traffic. Stayed at lights instead of the middle of the junction. Failed me on that. Not another single grade on the whole test.

Thank fcuk I happened to see your post. I was sure he was just out to get me.

But he probably was.

Grade three for that ? Hardly dangerous imo.

• Advertisement

Grade three for that ? Hardly dangerous imo.

Yeah. Money racket. Especially when he seen everything else was 100% flawless.

It was near the start of the test though, so he already had me failed before finding out I wasn't going to get another single mark. Just couldn't really take out the Tipp-Ex at the end I suppose. :rolleyes:

Apparently there's some invisible sensor that turns on the filter arrow when you drive into the middle of the road. Never heard of that in my life. Was hardly fail-worthy IMO. Would have preferred a "Well you'll know forever now. So just never do it again. Here's your certificate."

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ilovemybed

Eeeeeeek. Never passed a pre-test.... EVER and have the real deal on Tuesday for the second time. Here's to hoping for miracles. Say a prayer !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Driver2 wrote: »
    Yeah. Money racket. Especially when he seen everything else was 100% flawless.

It was near the start of the test though, so he already had me failed before finding out I wasn't going to get another single mark. Just couldn't really take out the Tipp-Ex at the end I suppose. :rolleyes:

Apparently there's some invisible sensor that turns on the filter arrow when you drive into the middle of the road. Never heard of that in my life. Was hardly fail-worthy IMO. Would have preferred a "Well you'll know forever now. So just never do it again. Here's your certificate."

Usually my natural reaction to something like that would be to appeal it but I don't think you'd get anywhere tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

An appeal of a driving test is only ever about whether the test was conducted properly, not whether the instructor was right or wrong, and if you win it you just get another test for free, you don't get a driving licence.

It is pointless to appeal in 99% of cases. By the time it is dealt with in court you'd have another 10 tests done. Just chin up and nail it next time.

Usually my natural reaction to something like that would be to appeal it but I don't think you'd get anywhere tbh :(

As Reloc8 said, just pointless.

The whole way to district court, just to try and get a free re-test? What a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single person has ever made an appeal.

So, for what it's worth, went back to the same traffic lights tonight, drove out into the middle of the junction when the light was green but the filter was off... and the filter still never came on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

^ you need to make sure and clear the junction on amber for oncoming traffic so. Entering the junction on the full green is still the correct move to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ilovemybed

Unsuccessful......
    I got 9 grade 2 blue marks. Yep, one more than you are allowed, sickener :(
    Chin up and go for it again I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Failed my test for the fourth time this week. Got a grade 3 at a new set of lights in my town, I was expecting a feeder light to come on for my right turn but they went straight to red so I was stuck in the junction. Sheeeit. The tester surprisingly went through the sheet with me at the end which was sound of him. I got 4 grade 2's for continuously driving in 3rd gear instead of 4th at 50km/h on a bit of straight road which I was amazed at.

Anyways, he said I should consider booking at test with a supervisor or some kind of head tester, as they accomodate for people who have failed a few times, and are allowed to give feedback to help etc. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

shamtastic wrote: »
    Failed my test for the fourth time this week. Got a grade 3 at a new set of lights in my town, I was expecting a feeder light to come on for my right turn but they went straight to red so I was stuck in the junction. Sheeeit. The tester surprisingly went through the sheet with me at the end which was sound of him. I got 4 grade 2's for continuously driving in 3rd gear instead of 4th at 50km/h on a bit of straight road which I was amazed at.

Anyways, he said I should consider booking at test with a supervisor or some kind of head tester, as they accomodate for people who have failed a few times, and are allowed to give feedback to help etc. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks guys.

At that speed you should always be in fourth. I was taught not to drop to 3rd unless my speed fell below 40kph.

Advertisement