Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Faunge

had my driving test today and failed :( , i had done a good few lessons and was well prepared, only had one grade 2 fault on the entire sheet and the tester failed me for turning right too quickly at a junction, there was an oncoming car but i had enought time to clear it properly and safely.. thought myself that the test had gone well so was very dissappointed when i found out i failed especially when i had only one other fault

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Faunge wrote: »
    had my driving test today and failed :( , i had done a good few lessons and was well prepared, only had one grade 2 fault on the entire sheet and the tester failed me for turning right too quickly at a junction, there was an oncoming car but i had enought time to clear it properly and safely.. thought myself that the test had gone well so was very dissappointed when i found out i failed especially when i had only one other fault

So annoyin that isn't it. Something similar happened to me on my 1st test. Got a grade 2 for mirrors turning left. Then came the blow. Picked up a grade 3 for overtaking a bin lorry in an estate when the driver had waved me on me know it was all clear.

Got the test on 3rd attempt though, so keep at it. It's so annoyin when you consider you would have flew through the test if it weren't for that grade 3.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ger-h

Hey guys,

Failed today in finglas :( really v.dissapointing as i got 8 grade twos, four of which were for goin over ramps. Examiner said two too fast and too two slow.

Really dissapointed as i did twenty five lessons and five pre-tests. I was told to do them in 2nd or 3rd gear depending. The ramps tht is!

I rang the rsa today they said i cant sit the test for three weeks. does this mean that i cnt book a cancellation?

My examiner was a nice guy, so i wont be as nervous text time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

i went over ramps at 50 and didnt get marked.. they were not the full ones though,,

you should go over them whatever way is necessary, if you can go over in 3rd do, if u can go in 4th, do. if u have to slow down, do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ger-h wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Failed today in finglas :( really v.dissapointing as i got 8 grade twos, four of which were for goin over ramps. Examiner said two too fast and too two slow.

Really dissapointed as i did twenty five lessons and five pre-tests. I was told to do them in 2nd or 3rd gear depending.
    I think it should in general be left up to the driver at what speed they want their car (their suspension) to be worn going over a speed ramp. By all means accelerate into and out of the ramps but at what speed you actually drive over them is nobody elses concern imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I was unsuccessful a few weeks ago but I have a quick question: How long have people been waiting for a cancellation?

I've heard talk of people ringing every day and getting a cancellation in a matter of days. For me, it was 2 months in between my first and second test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

unknown13 wrote: »
    I was unsuccessful a few weeks ago but I have a quick question: How long have people been waiting for a cancellation?
    I applied online for a cancellation a few days after failing, and had the second test in Raheny about a month later? Maybe it depends on the test centre, but it sounds like the average wait is just a few weeks.

Remember a while back, wait times for a (non-cancellation) test were 3 months or more? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

zynaps wrote: »
    I applied online for a cancellation a few days after failing, and had the second test in Raheny about a month later? Maybe it depends on the test centre, but it sounds like the average wait is just a few weeks.

Remember a while back, wait times for a (non-cancellation) test were 3 months or more? :eek:
    Still are in some places. Mine was 11 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Woo I failed :o

I got that one tester that is notorious for failing people very easily, everybody knows him and nobody wants to get him. Even my grandfather told me about him lol.

So anyway, I thought I drove pretty well and even yesterday my driving instructor told me I have a high chance of passing it. He is also commenting on how well my observation and use of mirrors is, but I got marked heavily on that part.

In the end I got 23 Grade 2's. and 1 grade 3 (for not indicating early enough:confused:). and like 5 grade 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cocoshovel wrote: »

I got that one tester that is notorious for failing people very easily, everybody knows him and nobody wants to get him. Even my grandfather told me about him lol.

So anyway, I thought I drove pretty well and even yesterday my driving instructor told me I have a high chance of passing it. He is also commenting on how well my observation and use of mirrors is, but I got marked heavily on that part.

In the end I got 23 Grade 2's. and 1 grade 3 (for not indicating early enough:confused:). and like 5 grade 1.

i'm suspecting a type-o. . .unless they've changed something dramatically in the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Where did you do the test, Finglas ?

theteal wrote: »
    i'm suspecting a type-o. . .unless they've changed something dramatically in the last few years

Haha, no typo's I'm afraid :D
    Where did you do the test, Finglas ?

Kilkenny.

With the result I got you would swear I went on a rampage through the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Haha, no typo's I'm afraid :D

Kilkenny.

With the result I got you would swear I went on a rampage through the city.

Town ;)

threein99 wrote: »
    Town ;)

Either or. I don't care what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Failed this morning in Churchtown.

I got 9 Grade 2's overall, 4 of which were for "Observation - Moving Off"(none for mirrors, which doens't really add). I know one of these was for the hillstart, where the car wasn't properly in gear. I put it in gear, moved off, but forgot to check the blindspot a second time. Pretty certain I checked it every other time, but looking over your shoulder in the car doesn't actually allow me to see anything really. I got a couple for signals moving off too, one for the hill start, and another one for stopping. Once ofr position turning right too, but he said it was clearly becasue it was a difficult junction which I didn't know.

I don't know where the rest were for as the top part of the sheet was clear up until just after the hillstart(Dropping Well Pub, Curchtown), which was just before the end of the test. I asked, and was told he didn't have to tell me. How professional.

Apart from getting 9 G2's, the real kicker about failing was that he said "I have no issue at all with the competency of your driving, you could come back in a hour and pass."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed this morning in Churchtown.

<snip>

Apart from getting 9 G2's, the real kicker about failing was that he said "I have no issue at all with the competency of your driving, you could come back in a hour and pass."

This is the real sickener - there is something wrong with a test where the tester believes you are competent but the test result says you are not. It's a 'wood for the trees' situation. If I checked grammar, spelling etc in James Joyce's 'Ulysses' it would probably fail on the mechanics of English.

I feel your pain, but keep at it.

Well, he was the one marking the test. Said he had no doubts about my compenancy, when ironically enough, you get a certificate of competancy if you pass. I don't know. Just annoyed me that he wounldn't even give one example where I made the mistake.(I know I did it once, to be fair) I know I'm now biased, but it's extremely unprofessional. It's equivilant to an NCT tester saying just that a car failed the test, ("because bearing is broken", for example), and saying nothing more. Where? Why? How?

I think it's a totally messed up system when you can get away with not giving a concrete reason for your decision, keeping yourself in a job and charging people more in the process. Could you imagine running a business like that, you wouldn't last a week.

its a joke.. my last test i made a fool of the tester and he couldnt give me the answer as to where i went wrong. bunch of clowns.

Exactly, if I failed for a genuine reason I don't see why I can't be given a genuine answer as to why. It's really, really basic. I don't see how someone can be failed on something, and the reason why is left ambigious - that is not in the interest of improving road safety. If they were actually interested in how safe a driver someone is, they should tell them exactly where they made errors, and how to correct them in the future? I wasn't going to argue the toss with him, there's no point, but I don't believe I'm being unreasonable in asking where I made a mistake, and what exactly that mistake was.

I may be wrong, I might not have looked in my blindspot when I should have, I might not have done exaclty, to the letter, what is required in the test. But I know I was competent, and I know I was safe. The tested agreed, he even said so. Isn't that the whole purpose of the test? Telling me I could pass in an hours time is an admission that the test is somewhat flawed.

Night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I may be wrong, I might not have looked in my blindspot when I should have, I might not have done exaclty, to the letter, what is required in the test. But I know I was competent, and I know I was safe. The tested agreed, he even said so.
    And if you had failed to check something important and he marked you down for this but refused to tell you (which happened to me on both of my tests, even when I passed), he turned down an opportunity to help you correct a potentially dangerous flaw. Even though he works for the Road Safety Authority. Telling you specifically what mistakes you're making can only improve road safety. It really drives me nuts... or at least, more nuts :P

tbh when I pass I wont give a **** what mistakes i make because the whole test is bollox and useless.. who cares if you dont look around everywhere pointlessly all the time... etc..

At the end of the day lads & ladies its just a money scam that catches a lot of people out !

The way in which the tests are conducted needs to be changed !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

lucozader wrote: »
    I told her she was wrong about the speed bumps and she said I had to be careful as you never know how high they are going to be ? I think it was bogus.

:-| sur can't you see with your own 2 eyes how high the speed bumps are and judge from that :confused:

that sounds really harsh :( better luck next time

EDIT - sorry peeps for quoting from page 1 of this thread :o blonde moment - though it was a more recent comment :o... but point still stands in relation to the point...

shblob wrote: »
    tbh when I pass I wont give a **** what mistakes i make because the whole test is bollox and useless.. who cares if you dont look around everywhere pointlessly all the time... etc..
    Everyone else on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cin1586

Failed for the 3rd time today ;( 10 grade 2's. I am always beyond nervous but this was made worse when the tester asked me to hurry up in my reverse around a corner cuz I was waiting for it to be safe then a car pulled up behind me wouldn't move so I had to pull back round and start again! He said didn't I know we only had a certain amount of time!!

Just don't think I'm a natural driver and doesn't help that I have no fully licensed drivers round to practice with!! So have to resort to lessons. Now after spending over 3k on lessons and nearly 300 on tests I'm Gona give it up for awhile and start saving money for sumit I can do!! Nice Polo for sale for anyone's who's interested and best of luck to everyone!!

Cin1586 wrote: »
    Just don't think I'm a natural driver and doesn't help that I have no fully licensed drivers round to practice with!! So have to resort to lessons. Now after spending over 3k on lessons and nearly 300 on tests I'm Gona give it up for awhile and start saving money for sumit I can do!! Nice Polo for sale for anyone's who's interested and best of luck to everyone!!

This reaction (if thats the right word ?) is just natural as you are so p!ssed off at the moment. Keep your car and keep trying. Maybe not so soon but when you go to try again you'll be kicking your self that you got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cin1586

This reaction (if thats the right word ?) is just natural as you are so p!ssed off at the moment. Keep your car and keep trying. Maybe not so soon but when you go to try again you'll be kicking your self that you got rid of it.

Thanks for the encouragement but I reckon even my instructors would agree I'm wasting my money on lessons and no point in having a car I can't drive when I'm paying for it!! Gona sell it and pay off my debts and maybe in a few years time il go back and try again when they've reduced the cost!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement but I reckon even my instructors would agree I'm wasting my money on lessons and no point in having a car I can't drive when I'm paying for it!! Gona sell it and pay off my debts and maybe in a few years time il go back and try again when they've reduced the cost!!!!

Sorry to hear you didn't pass.

The thing which made me get off my ass and learn to drive this year was fear in some part - I was getting afraid that they were making changes to the test and so I wanted to get it over with now!

Personally I'd ring for a cancellation every day over the next weeks.

As a final bit of encouragement, my brother's girlfriend recently passed after failing numerous times due to nerves - and she got 0 grade 1s, grade 2s and obviously 0 grade 3s! So just keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Failed for 4th time in Finglas. 10 blue X's. 4 of those blue X's for turning left (in my last 2 tests I got 0 x's on turning left both times). Can't help but think the whole thing is a shambles out to milk money out of folks.

Advertisement