Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

failed again, 2nd time, in Galway. 16 blues marks instead of 28 like last time. It's frustrating because the examiner was totally right. I drove like crap. Managed to stall 4 times which I've never done in practice. fml.

Looking into taking drugs this time. Anxiety too much. Is Kalms actually good or is it all hype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bcsyj

failed again, 2nd time, in Galway. 16 blues marks instead of 28 like last time. It's frustrating because the examiner was totally right. I drove like crap. Managed to stall 4 times which I've never done in practice. fml.

Looking into taking drugs this time. Anxiety too much. Is Kalms actually good or is it all hype?

Hey Dude, read loads about Kalms online before trying them as I suffer with bad anxiety due to a bad break up recently and had been taking Xanex prescribed to me by my doctor. The Xanex work but did make me feel drowsy and the anxiety heightens after the tablets leave your system, so thought I'd go the natural route.

I have to say they work brilliantly, you can take a couple of tablets a few times a day and I feel so much more balanced and no horrible panic attacks or anxiety in my chest. Sleeping a lot better too. They say you should take them for a while to feel the true effectiveness so take them for the week leading up to your test maybe. I read loads and loads of people saying they did nothing for them but I really believe it depends on the person. But they worked for me, as the anxiety was beginning to affect my daily life and I feel I've gained control again and also confidence and that's what you need for your test. Good luck man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Eddie-B

Failed yesterday on a few silly mistakes, stupid nerves!! Rang the office to book a retest asap and they said i need to wait 3 weeks? Is that normal?? i need my licence for work and college. Anyone esle been told that they have to wait 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Eddie-B wrote: »
    Failed yesterday on a few silly mistakes, stupid nerves!! Rang the office to book a retest asap and they said i need to wait 3 weeks? Is that normal?? i need my licence for work and college. Anyone esle been told that they have to wait 3 weeks?

Yeah I've heard of it before. It's exactly what I was told a couple of years ago. Seems inconsistent though. Have heard of others getting a test the next week after failing it. Maybe it depends on waiting lists/waiting lists for cancellations.

Who knows???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Just did my test in naas there. Failed with 9 grade 2's and one grade 3. Bit devastated tbh but what can you do. Was kinda my only shot at getting it before I move to study in England. Gonna ask for a cancellation to see if I can get it in time.

The test itself went grand I thought. As soon as you move off the nerves die down. I got the grade three for making a stupid mistake of not going turning left at a junction when There was a green light. I thought there was a feeder light for the left and decided to wait for it, but unfortunately the next light I seen was red. I thought it was a bit harsh as there was no one behind me so I didn't cause an obstruction. Just delayed myself.

Also I got three grade 2's on reaction to hazards. I expected some here as my instructor said it was a downfall of mine. But I got them for being over cautious not for reacting badly to hazards. He told me just to act more natural.

Apart from the grade three I can't really see how I'm going to drive that much different on my next test... I really didn't think it was that bad. I really hate the way "you waited just a little bit too long there on that turn" can equal a fail. Just doesn't seem logical.
    Like you can be a competent careful driver and fail on a millisecond of a decision.

Oh well better luck next time I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

shizz wrote: »

Apart from the grade three I can't really see how I'm going to drive that much different on my next test... I really didn't think it was that bad. I really hate the way "you waited just a little bit too long there on that turn" can equal a fail. Just doesn't seem logical.
    Like you can be a competent careful driver and fail on a millisecond of a decision.

I know what you mean, my instructor seems to think that, now that the standard of driving tests have got higher. Even a simple small mistake could equal a fail, so harsh! Best of luck in your next test shizz!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Peanut6

Just failed my test for the first time. So disappointed, only got four grade 2's but got one grade 3. Was at a crossroads with traffic lights going to turn right. White van in front of me turns so I inched up. Lights turned red so I stopped. Apparently I should have kept going but I thought I couldn't as I didn't want to break the red light! I wasn't blocking any other traffic on the crossroads so I think it was a tad on the harsh side to give me a grade 3 for it, especially seeing as I only had four grade 2's! Was fully convinced I'd passed afterwards, had no nerves and was observing the hell out of the route! So disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Peanut6 wrote: »
    Just failed my test for the first time. So disappointed, only got four grade 2's but got one grade 3. Was at a crossroads with traffic lights going to turn right. White van in front of me turns so I inched up. Lights turned red so I stopped. Apparently I should have kept going but I thought I couldn't as I didn't want to break the red light! I wasn't blocking any other traffic on the crossroads so I think it was a tad on the harsh side to give me a grade 3 for it, especially seeing as I only had four grade 2's! Was fully convinced I'd passed afterwards, had no nerves and was observing the hell out of the route! So disappointed :(

You're right to be - just bad luck - but that won't happen to you again - you'll nail it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Failed today in Wilton, Cork for the first time. Got 8 Grade 2's and 1 Grade 3 for roundabout. :(

Really wanted to pass because emigrating in two weeks. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Megglz wrote: »
    Failed today in Wilton, Cork for the first time. Got 8 Grade 2's and 1 Grade 3 for roundabout. :(

Im in the exact same position. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

shizz wrote: »
    Im in the exact same position. :(

That feckin roundabout by the hospital! :D

Megglz wrote: »

Ring for a cancellation every day - mention how you need one pronto. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

For those who failed wilton which is a hard route-i myself failed it-take a test in mallow its way easier

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

ugh I'm really discouraged - I know this thread is for the real test so I'm kind of cheating, but...I've failed two pre tests (6 blues 1 red, 7 blues 2 reds) and I just don't think I'm ever going to get there... I'm driving every day, test is on Monday and I really need to pass...bah! I predict I will be posting on this thread on Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BMRising wrote: »
    ugh I'm really discouraged - I know this thread is for the real test so I'm kind of cheating, but...I've failed two pre tests (6 blues 1 red, 7 blues 2 reds) and I just don't think I'm ever going to get there... I'm driving every day, test is on Monday and I really need to pass...bah! I predict I will be posting on this thread on Monday evening.

Don't get too hung up on pre-test results. An instructor passing you on your pretests wouldn't exactly be teaching you very much. Learn from what happened in them and make sure they don't happen again.

Go into the test certain that you are going to pass. Do your absolute best and just see how it goes. If you pass happy days, if not, apply and go for it again.

Best of luck:)

Don't get too hung up on pre-test results. An instructor passing you on your pretests wouldn't exactly be teaching you very much. Learn from what happened in them and make sure they don't happen again.

Go into the test certain that you are going to pass. Do your absolute best and just see how it goes. If you pass happy days, if not, apply and go for it again.

Best of luck:)

Thanks! It's especially frustrating because the reds were all for pretty stupid things (braking too harshly at an amber light when I should have proceeded, going at the wrong time at a t junction with not quite enough space between me and the oncoming car, and a fairly dodgy reaction to an oncoming car in a side street with parked cars both sides...) and without them I'd have passed them both... I guess I would be more worried if I'd had 15/16 blues both times...just need to keep cool and cut out the reds I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

I'm the same, my test is Tuesday and my instructor hasn't even suggested a pre-test, I think it goes without saying I wouldn't have passed one in any of my previous lessons! I'm practicing every day too but don't seem to be getting anywhere - maybe we're better than we think?!! But actually your blues are fine, you're allowed that many, so it's really just the reds that are failing you, I think a lot depends on the situations you find yourself in on the day so difficult to predict anything. But you seem to be borderline failing so it's not that bad. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Lads dont be too harsh on yourselves, I had a pretest a week before the real thing and got like 13 blues and 2 reds. :pac:

In the real thing after a lot of practice on my own I got two blues so don't be put down. I reckon most instructors are quite harsh to give learners the kick up the hole they need. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Digits wrote: »
    Lads dont be too harsh on yourselves, I had a pretest a week before the real thing and got like 13 blues and 2 reds. :pac:

In the real thing after a lot of practice on my own I got two blues so don't be put down. I reckon most instructors are quite harsh to give learners the kick up the hole they need. :P

Very true! I failed my pretest for Car and Truck and yet passed both of them 1st time. I'd compare Pretests to the Mocks in the Leaving, they're meant to be harder to keep you on top of your game!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Digits wrote: »

coudnt have said it better mate!!!!:) i got exactly the same as you bar a few less blues on my pre tests:) a pre test on the day of your test is a MUST :) to give you the confidence:) lots of practice too:)
    passed mine yesterday on my 2nd attempt:D

Failed the 1st time due to not enough practice and was too cocky:) taught id pass the test before i even stepped foot into the car:)
    just think of the tester as a GPS device telling you where to go and be extra safe:) and you'll pass:)

david

• Advertisement

eep, test tomorrow....nervous!!! :eek:

It's at 3pm, hope there aren't hordes of school kids around but I think there might be...

really want to be posting in the other thread tomorrow evening!!!

It's at 3pm, hope there aren't hordes of school kids around but I think there might be...

thats the best time! be spending all your time in traffic lol:) seriously though if its rush hour or busy the tester will know and bring you on a route thats deserted:)

let us know how ya do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Lots of schools are off tomorrow as far as I know.

Lots of schools are off tomorrow as far as I know.

oooh, that would be nice...there are a good few schools near the test centre. Why are they off today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

oooh, that would be nice...there are a good few schools near the test centre. Why are they off today?

Sorry for the late reply but its something to so with them going back a day earlier in August I think. Not everybody was off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

Failed my second test today in Wicklow, my instructor told me that my only problem was observation on bends. Failed on 6 counts of MIRRORS which hadn't been brought up as a problem by anyone before!!! (Also no marks for observation).

Absolutely sickened. As soon as I walked into the room I knew I wouldn't pass, and lo and behold, he found something to fail me on. My instructor was just as confused by it as I was.
    Extremely discouraging and I will be going to a different test centre next time... :(

Smuckie wrote: »
    Failed my second test today in Wicklow, my instructor told me that my only problem was observation on bends. Failed on 6 counts of MIRRORS which hadn't been brought up as a problem by anyone before!!! (Also no marks for observation).

Absolutely sickened. As soon as I walked into the room I knew I wouldn't pass, and lo and behold, he found something to fail me on. My instructor was just as confused by it as I was.
    Extremely discouraging and I will be going to a different test centre next time... :(

When you fail...the tester is the most horrible person in the world... though when you pass he's your best friend:)

Its your Driving mate:) you gotta check mirrors every turn and at least every 20 seconds:) youl ace it next time buddy

Failed in Raheny, really upset with myself, 4 greens 6 blues and 2 reds which pretty much mirrored my pre test results (although I passed the third one I did)

3 blues for reaction to hazards which I can't think what they could be for, I wasn't getting marks for this in my pre tests at all and generally am fine pulling in for cars etc although I know this area covers more than just this. one of them might have been for when I was turning right, there was a cyclist from my right coming in a position where you'd usually yield but she indicated left so I continued, but I think tester was looking the other way when she indicated so I may have got a mark for that.
    1 blue apiece for competency in turnabout and reverse - have an idea what it could have been in the turnabout, he asked me to pull in on the left directly (for hand signals) directly as I was completing the third point, and was already accelerating to pull away, which threw me a bit and I ended up shading the kerb as I pulled in. No idea what it was in the reverse, tbh I thought I did it perfecty and it was the very difficult one in Clontarf leading into Park Lawn where there is always lots of traffic around and hard to see down the road you're turning into before you're almost fully on it with turn completed.

1 red for - braking too harshly at an orange light when I should have proceeded - exactly as happened in the pretest. I thought this one was perhaps a little harsh as I was going slowly when I braked and didnt end up over the lane but tbh it's obviously a problem I have not being confident to run yellows and being able to judge when I'm too close to stop/going too fast to stop - just can't seem to get that mental block out of my head.
    Second red for - turning right at junction in raheny at the big crossroads, was peering around the row of cars turning right in the opposite direction to see if the way was clear and a car that was approaching slowed, flashed its lights at me to proceed so I did and he gave me a red for not yielding turning right. I was probably peeking out a little bit too far but he could have passed and my adi said it was ok to go if someone let you even if they have right of way, as long as you still do all your checks and proceed with caution.

All in all it was probably a deserved fail as I knew I was a bit weak on both those areas and although I did work on them it obv wasn't enough - especially annoying though as both happened in the last 5 mins of test and I was passing until then.

Can anyone advise of the procedure for re booking - I applied when I got home and rang them to see about a cancellation, the person I got said theres no way you can get one before three weeks has elapsed since your fail, but I know of someone personally who failed in the last 2 months and got another within 2 weeks from calling every day. I would like to do it as soon as possible because I just think I'll lose confidence otherwise. How long does it take for the fail to come up on the system? the person I got today said 2 weeks at least but that can't be right seeing as my friend got another test sat within that time...

Failed in Raheny, really upset with myself, 4 greens 6 blues and 2 reds which pretty much mirrored my pre test results (although I passed the third one I did)

3 blues for reaction to hazards which I can't think what they could be for, I wasn't getting marks for this in my pre tests at all and generally am fine pulling in for cars etc although I know this area covers more than just this. one of them might have been for when I was turning right, there was a cyclist from my right coming in a position where you'd usually yield but she indicated left so I continued, but I think tester was looking the other way when she indicated so I may have got a mark for that.
    1 blue apiece for competency in turnabout and reverse - have an idea what it could have been in the turnabout, he asked me to pull in on the left directly (for hand signals) directly as I was completing the third point, and was already accelerating to pull away, which threw me a bit and I ended up shading the kerb as I pulled in. No idea what it was in the reverse, tbh I thought I did it perfecty and it was the very difficult one in Clontarf leading into Park Lawn where there is always lots of traffic around and hard to see down the road you're turning into before you're almost fully on it with turn completed.

1 red for - braking too harshly at an orange light when I should have proceeded - exactly as happened in the pretest. I thought this one was perhaps a little harsh as I was going slowly when I braked and didnt end up over the lane but tbh it's obviously a problem I have not being confident to run yellows and being able to judge when I'm too close to stop/going too fast to stop - just can't seem to get that mental block out of my head.
    Second red for - turning right at junction in raheny at the big crossroads, was peering around the row of cars turning right in the opposite direction to see if the way was clear and a car that was approaching slowed, flashed its lights at me to proceed so I did and he gave me a red for not yielding turning right. I was probably peeking out a little bit too far but he could have passed and my adi said it was ok to go if someone let you even if they have right of way, as long as you still do all your checks and proceed with caution.

All in all it was probably a deserved fail as I knew I was a bit weak on both those areas and although I did work on them it obv wasn't enough - especially annoying though as both happened in the last 5 mins of test and I was passing until then.

Can anyone advise of the procedure for re booking - I applied when I got home and rang them to see about a cancellation, the person I got said theres no way you can get one before three weeks has elapsed since your fail, but I know of someone personally who failed in the last 2 months and got another within 2 weeks from calling every day. I would like to do it as soon as possible because I just think I'll lose confidence otherwise. How long does it take for the fail to come up on the system? the person I got today said 2 weeks at least but that can't be right seeing as my friend got another test sat within that time...

Get a cancelation:) as you said call every day untill you get one FAST:) my brother said he needed his for a job hel be starting in 10 days and got a cancelation and passed:) get 1 or 2 more lessons to give you the extra boost:) youl fly it next time !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

:mad:getting so discrourged at this stage,failed 3rd time tallaght,exact same route as last time.10 in total compared to 12 last time,so atleast im going in the right direction:p

Its really does baffle ya failed under diferent headings to the last day(again)2 for positioning v 0 last day.Observation 0 v 6 last day.progress got 3 again.4 vehicle controls v 1 last day.

Its so much down to tester interpretation,Progress when turning I wasnt in any way slow.mearly stoped put it in first quick look left and right?.and i didnt use 4th enough,How often can you use fourth in a housing estate,road with ramps every 50 metres?

thought I passed and all:rolleyes:

Advertisement