Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 smois6

shizz wrote: »

The test itself went grand I thought. As soon as you move off the nerves die down. I got the grade three for making a stupid mistake of not going turning left at a junction when There was a green light. I thought there was a feeder light for the left and decided to wait for it, but unfortunately the next light I seen was red. I thought it was a bit harsh as there was no one behind me so I didn't cause an obstruction. Just delayed myself.
    i failed the test in tallaght today for the 3rd time with ten grade 2 and one grade 3. the grade 3 was the exact same thing as you only it happened 60 seconds into the test and i had to do the whole test having failed already albeit not knowing i failed. i waited for a filter light instead of going on a green light something i never did before nerves got the worse. 4 of the grade twos were for clutch which is something never happened before i put it down to this. I hadnt driven in the intructors car since my last test 3 weeks ago which i failed by one. I have been driving another car since then but didnt want to do the test in it as the seal on the sunroof has started to leak and didnt think the tester would fancy getting wet. so had booked a pretest with my instructor before the test. however he was 45 minutes late(which got the nerves going) and we went straight to the test centre no pretest. So having got used to the clutch in my car i made an absolute bollox of talking off in first in the intructors car during the test because i had no oppertunity to get used to it in a pretest. wouldnt mind only the tester was the nicest ive had so far and i felt like he wanted to pass me but couldnt. only tester who actually sat me down and told me were i went wrong and asked me have i got marks for clutch before which i havent and told me were the grade 3 happened. also the whole test is a blur because i was ****tin it and sweatin buckets mainly because i knew i wasnt used to the clutch on this car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 neelerwheeler

Failed my test in Shannon today, my first time doing it. Gutted because I wasn't nervous before or during it and thought the test had gone well. I also flew through my pre-test and my instructor was sure I was going to pass. I got 12 grade 2 ticks overall. 7 ticks in the progress section - 2 in a row for progress on roundabouts, apparently I entered the roundabouts perfectly but once I was on the roundabout I should have been going faster. I was in second gear doing 20-30k which I thought was correct. Pretty annoyed about this because I paid 120 euro for 4 driving lessons and my instructor never told me I was doing this wrong all along. Then another two for progress on the straight - a little deserved as I did go up to the speed limit when I could but probably took too long to get up, then obviously I couldn't do the full speed limit in the housing estates and industrial estates where there were ramps every 50 meters. I got another 1 in this section for progress at traffic lights, which was deserved. I took too long to move off (I was first in queue), this was because as soon as I stopped the car and applied the handbrake the lights turned green again and I thought I should check my mirrors before moving off, but apparently I should have moved off faster. One tick each for mirrors turning right, clearance of stationary vehicles and not signaling early enough at roundabouts and turning right.

Going to re-apply this evening and hopefully with get a cancellation so I won't have to wait too long to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Eddie-B

i wasnt allowed do the test because one of my brake lights was not working which is odd because it was before i left this morning. i told him it was just a wire loose and fixed it but he said no he cant do the test in the car. he gave me a form and told me i have to reapply and pay again. i called the rsa to book and they said i cant until the results come in which takes 3 weeks??? im annoyed enough as it is but 3 weeks to process and non run test? i need this for work and im about 2 weeks away from losing my job because of new standards in the company. anyone know if it really takes 3 weeks to rebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

It usually takes a week to re-book. ring again and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Eddie-B wrote: »
    i wasnt allowed do the test because one of my brake lights was not working which is odd because it was before i left this morning. i told him it was just a wire loose and fixed it but he said no he cant do the test in the car. he gave me a form and told me i have to reapply and pay again. i called the rsa to book and they said i cant until the results come in which takes 3 weeks??? im annoyed enough as it is but 3 weeks to process and non run test? i need this for work and im about 2 weeks away from losing my job because of new standards in the company. anyone know if it really takes 3 weeks to rebook?

just keep ringing to get cancelation:) and say the part about your job:)i sudnt see why you have to pay 85e again though !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Failed in Finglas the other day. Instructor was very friendly and fair, got 10 blue marks, at least 4 of them because I was nervous about the test scenario and made rookie mistakes I usually don't make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Failed in Naas today – first time.

No lesson since June, no pre-test and very little opportunity for meaningful practice. I had already postponed it twice so decided to go ahead and sit it.

Green – 5
    Blue – 12
    Pink – 0

Five of the blues were for observation,
    Three for reaction to hazards (pretty sure two of these were speed bumps being hit too hard)
    Three for position (two of these for turning left)
    The remaining one was in the reverse. I was too wide.

No problems with progress.

To be honest I didn’t expect to pass so not too disappointed. I am now used to the test experience and hopefully can learn from my faults.

Instructor said “if it wasn’t for the observation issues you’d have passed.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Instructor said “if it wasn’t for the observation issues you’d have passed.”

Correction - tester said that

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Redonblonde

Failed yesterday as our insurance disc was out of date since JUNE :(

Really annoyed at myself and my boyfriend as neither of us thought to check it. We pay insurance by direct debit so when AIB never sent us the new one, we didnt notice. Whats very weird/ annoying though is that I had a pretest last week, she didnt notice, neither did two other instructors. Or the NCT guys in August...or the Gardai who were checking for insurance a few weeks back and waved us on.

In addition to that, before we set of to the test centre, our back light went. Of course, it was the only one we had no replacement for. Went to buy one, and as boyfriend unscrewed it, the bulb separated from the connection. Nice man in shop had to yank out the whole panel to free it. Unbelievable.

Was so angry with myself for not checking the discs...crying like a baby and the tester was so nice. Trying to get it again soon once we get disc...:(

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

awww jeez redon :o i feel for you:(id ta use a testers car on the day of the test because my tax lapsed and i never got post to renew it!!!!!:( im not adivsing anyone to do this but a mate used a different tax disc for his test and got away only as the tester looked at the date and not the reg on the disc:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Failed just now in Fingas, 12 grade 2s and a few grade 1s. Six of the grade 2s were for observation. I got 0 in my pretest. One for position on the straight, I turned right onto a dual carriageway and went into the right lane. Tester was fair and explained that I wasn't checking my blind spot constistently etc.

Planning to reapply immediately and really practice my observation procedures on the various maneuvers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thordon wrote: »
    Failed just now in Fingas, 12 grade 2s and a few grade 1s. Six of the grade 2s were for observation. I got 0 in my pretest. One for position on the straight, I turned right onto a dual carriageway and went into the right lane. Tester was fair and explained that I wasn't checking my blind spot constistently etc.

Planning to reapply immediately and really practice my observation procedures on the various maneuvers.

For the observation thing, another lesson or two will help with that - maybe consider a different instructor if your normal instructor hasn't noticed anything missing from your observation.

As regards the dual carraigeway, the rule always applies unless road markings indicate otherwise - keep left unless overtaking or turning right shortly ahead!

If you are turning right onto a dual carraigeway, you should go directly into the left lane, unless it is blocked or something. This is similar to turning right at a roundabout which exits into a dual carraigeway. You will enter the roundabout in the right lane, and go around it in the right lane - at the exit before the one you want to take, you indicate, check your mirrors and begin to move into the left lane, such that you exit in the left lane.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hard luck to everyone who was unsuccessful recently. I failed twice before I passed. It was tough at the time but you will honestly be a better driver because of it. Just reapply immediately, drive everyday as if it was your test and don't slip into any bad habits!

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Redonblonde

Failed properly this time! Reversed round corner up a hill, and hit the kerb. Irony is that I'd being practising on a far more difficult hill, which I can do fine. Also got 19 grade 2's mainly for making insufficient progress...Which is fair enough, I was hesitant to drive quickly through a little town, full of people shopping, with doors opening, kids crossing etc.

Tester super nice and asked whether I drive much at all...answer being no. Said observation was perfect and I should just practise more to "enjoy" driving.

So...nobody could fail worse than me I think, if I can console anyone.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Failed properly this time! Reversed round corner up a hill, and hit the kerb. Irony is that I'd being practising on a far more difficult hill, which I can do fine. Also got 19 grade 2's mainly for making insufficient progress...Which is fair enough, I was hesitant to drive quickly through a little town, full of people shopping, with doors opening, kids crossing etc.

Tester super nice and asked whether I drive much at all...answer being no. Said observation was perfect and I should just practise more to "enjoy" driving.

Don't worry about it, you certainly aren't anywhere near the worst :)
    The good news is, progress faults are super easy to fix.

I failed my first test, completely on lack of progress (on the straight, got 4 Grade 2s for that so failed, but also had 2 Grade 2s for progress turning right, and one for progress turning left thrown in for good measure!). Which was odd, as lack of progress wasn't an issue for me in lessons.

I took another lesson with a different instructor (not that there was anything wrong with the old instructor, it was just handier to use a different instructor). He didn't notice much issues with progress either, but said it's very common to fail for that, because people are being extra careful, "because it's my test" and not just a 'normal drive', if you know what I mean.

He gave me some great advice - drive as you always drive, if it was just your mother, or friend, in the car. He said if you ever encounter a situation in your driving test and you're not sure what to do, do what you'd do if the tester wasn't sitting there - it's nearly always the correct thing to do. If there is a gap in traffic that you would normally take if it wasn't your test, take it on your test. Don't try and adjust your driving to what you think the tester wants, do what you would normally do - imagine the tester as a satnav, telling you where to go, as opposed to somebody with a clipboard marking you!

But again, these progress faults will iron themselves with more practice! The fact that you got no observation faults is great, they're the tricky ones - once you have the observation mastered, it's a case of practicing what you are doing. Just remember not to overcompensate for lack of progress by going too fast, or taking unsafe gaps! :p

If it helps, I failed my first test for progress, practiced some more, passed my second test with no Grade 2s at all (same tester!).

Maybe consider getting another few lessons, and as much practice with an accompanied driver as you can manage! I imagine the reverse around the corner thing was just nerves, so make sure to practice that as well - it is probably the trickiest manouevre on the test though. Again, observation on the reverse is usually the most common cause for fault, but if you did ok there, then you've very close to mastered it!

Best of luck - you have a really great attitude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Like your thinkin. Have to take my hat off to ya TBH. I passed on my third attempt and was getting increasingly disgruntled each time. Although you might be able to see how and why you failed, takes a lot to be able to think like that, so well done!

Reckon once you do pass, it will make you that much more of a driver with that attitude. Thinkin of other road users and pedestrians etc, admirable trait these days.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

failed today~~~~~~~~~~~~>_<~~~~~~~~~~
    I am wondering if I made too much mistakes,will the tester finish the test early then usual? I am confused as I got 8 grade 2s in gear and clutch,while the lower part of the sheet is almost blank, no grade3,grade2,even no grade1!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

idayang wrote: »
    failed today~~~~~~~~~~~~>_<~~~~~~~~~~
    I am wondering if I made too much mistakes,will the tester finish the test early then usual? I am confused as I got 8 grade 2s in gear and clutch,while the lower part of the sheet is almost blank, no grade3,grade2,even no grade1!
    Sounds like you just need to work on one area then, which is not as bad as having errors spread all over the sheet.
    Maybe change your ADI (if the last one didn't spot that you make a lot of gear/clutch errors)?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

spurious wrote: »
    Sounds like you just need to work on one area then, which is not as bad as having errors spread all over the sheet.
    Maybe change your ADI (if the last one didn't spot that you make a lot of gear/clutch errors)?

Thank you spurious,will try it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Failed this morning :(

Really upset-got a nasty tester she forced me to take an exit on a roundabout which I was not in the correct lane for (as opposed to taking a different route or going around again) so I panicked and nearly hit the car next to me. Grade 3 for that (though I think it was unfair)

She told me literally 2 mins away from a roundabout that she wanted me to take the second exit. Feeling pressured I changed lanes too quickly and got beeped at and got a grade 2 for observation (also feel that's unfair)

Second Grade 3 was my fault though I was coming back to the test center and I knew I failed so was feeling upset and distracted and cut across another car while changing lanes for the third exit.

I'm sooooooo annoyed cos if it wasnt for those grade 3's I would have passed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

I failed yesterday on my first attempt with 9 grade two's and a grade 3 for progress at traffic lights as I waited for a filter light rather than going. I knew I should have gone but had gotten too cautious as not long before it at a T-junction in a housing estate where I was turning right I almost pulled out in front of a car and had to brake suddenly. I had been told if there was no stop line to roll through the junction. I had looked but a car came out of nowhere and was flying it. I was convinced that it was a grade 3 and that was it but turned out later he only gave me a grade 2. But I couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the test and as a result got a few other marks for progress and even for overtaking parked cars too wide! I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise but I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I failed yesterday on my first attempt with 9 grade two's and a grade 3 for progress at traffic lights as I waited for a filter light rather than going. I knew I should have gone but had gotten too cautious as not long before it at a T-junction in a housing estate where I was turning right I almost pulled out in front of a car and had to brake suddenly. I had been told if there was no stop line to roll through the junction. I had looked but a car came out of nowhere and was flying it. I was convinced that it was a grade 3 and that was it but turned out later he only gave me a grade 2. But I couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the test and as a result got a few other marks for progress and even for overtaking parked cars too wide! I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise but I'll never know!

Hope you ok Daisy, just keep on trying and keep practising. It was a good first attempt though. Pity about the grade 3 fault for progress. Oh right did you wait for the filter light, was it clear for you to go at the junction despite the filter light not being on? If there was a yellow box junction and you turning right you can stay on that just roll onto it and edge forward once you get the green light on to go, when clear move off then.

Did you lock the wheel fully when you turning if you had to when overtaking parked cars? Or was it on the straight? You got a fault for over taking cars too wide??! You serious.

The thing is when doing your test, move on to the next task in your test forget what you have done and not done keep going and concentrate where you are at that present moment.

Hopefully next time you be more aware.

I am not the best at progress myself, don't go when I should at junctions and roundabouts. Can't believe you got a grade 3 fault for that. I suppose if its considered dangerous or an obstruction you get a fault straight away thought that would only be considered a grade 2 rather than a grade 3 fault. I take note of that when I go for my test in the next few months.

Best of luck with your next test, you'll be grand. Once you get over the progress thing you be flying it!

Keep at the practise you get there, getting the progress right takes practise! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

doovdela wrote: »
    Daisy03 wrote: »

Hope you ok Daisy, just keep on trying and keep practising. It was a good first attempt though. Pity about the grade 3 fault for progress. Oh right did you wait for the filter light, was it clear for you to go at the junction despite the filter light not being on? If there was a yellow box junction and you turning right you can stay on that just roll onto it and edge forward once you get the green light on to go, when clear move off then.

Did you lock the wheel fully when you turning if you had to when overtaking parked cars? Or was it on the straight? You got a fault for over taking cars too wide??! You serious.

The thing is when doing your test, move on to the next task in your test forget what you have done and not done keep going and concentrate where you are at that present moment.

Hopefully next time you be more aware.

I am not the best at progress myself, don't go when I should at junctions and roundabouts. Can't believe you got a grade 3 fault for that. I suppose if its considered dangerous or an obstruction you get a fault straight away thought that would only be considered a grade 2 rather than a grade 3 fault. I take note of that when I go for my test in the next few months.

Best of luck with your next test, you'll be grand. Once you get over the progress thing you be flying it!

Keep at the practise you get there, getting the progress right takes practise! Good luck.

Thanks Doovdela. Ya, The way was clear while I was waiting and I knew I should have gone but I don't know what I was thinking. I've always hated those type if junctions. The tester was very good in explaining the faults afterwards and said that once you pull forward and are waiting to go, that you can even go when the light is red. Is this always the case? To be honest I can't remember if there was a yellow box or not! :)

The funny thing is in the pretests I never got faults for progress! And the areas I got faults for in my pretests didn't crop up in the proper test! One of my progress faults was for driving at around 40kph when he said I should have gone up to 50kph. My reasoning was that there were loads of parked cars and it was a residential area but at least I know for the next time.

The parked cars were mainly on the straight. I indicated as I had to cross the White line but I didn't go extremely wide, I think I was less than a car door width out from them and the cars on the other side of the road could still pass me. He also gave me a fault for not overtaking a car! I waited as there was an oncoming car and this road was narrower but he thought I should have gone! I just couldn't win :)

Will apply again soon and Hopefully the experience of doing it once will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i failed on 1st attempt back in august and havnt sinced re-applyed.. i really dissagreed with the outcome so didnt post on here nor re-apply.

i got 15 grade 2's + 1 grade 1 and it was a fail also as 6 were for positonal, (4 for progress (automatc fail) + 2 for tunrning right)

<snip> when i arrived and met him he jumped straight into it, didnt mention his name or introduce himself, not that i was expecting a welcome, but there 2 other lads doing their exam same time and when we entered i over-heard them in backround and heard the examiners sayin hello + name etc. my examiner over-heard them also and said 'by the way ill be doing the test'

when going to do reverse around the corner another test pulled up behind us to do it while i was about to so i paused, and didnt know what to do like wait or not and the examiner kept looking back, didnt say anything so after a few mins it was akward and i asked him what do you want me to do (meaning wait or drive off) he paused and didnt answer (this made me nervous) he then said..em.. ill see now.. (we basically waited till they finished but he didnt know what he wanted me to do) again this made me nevous and i actually got a grade 1 for not doing it perfectly. (i have done it perfectly every single time including 1st ever time)

I didnt notice him doing much marking and when near the end i noticed he was doing alot more (found this strange.)

result: he said i need to work on some things and handed me the results and that was it. no explanation, didnt tell me what i did wrong or explain properly.
    i thought about appealing the desicion but there is no point really.

I walked backed in chatting and felt like id passed the exam no bother and i was shocked i failed. it was one of the easier routes which i had done pre-tests and a couple were that route. i had actually passed a pre-test a few days before with the same route. with the exam i had bin-truck, ambulance, roadworks etc and been told about positonal i felt i was correct with my driving.

sorry for the rant needed to get this off my chest

Madma, abusive comments about testers aren't allowed, as per the charter.
    Do not refer to driving testers or members of the Gardaí in an offensive or abusive manner.
    I've removed it from your post.

Sorry to hear you didn't get on well, but my advice would be to reapply as soon as you can, and try again. It's easy to feel disheartened after you fail the first one, but you'll be better prepared for the next test - and having an idea of where you went wrong is half the battle.

It's not unusual for the tester not to elaborate over faults, in fact they aren't supposed to (something I feel that should be changed, but that's the way it is for the moment). A few more lessons before your next test should improve things greatly!

Best of luck, and Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

madma wrote: »
    i failed on 1st attempt back in august and havnt sinced re-applyed.. i really dissagreed with the outcome so didnt post on here nor re-apply.

i got 15 grade 2's + 1 grade 1 and it was a fail also as 6 were for positonal, (4 for progress (automatc fail) + 2 for tunrning right)

<snip> when i arrived and met him he jumped straight into it, didnt mention his name or introduce himself, not that i was expecting a welcome, but there 2 other lads doing their exam same time and when we entered i over-heard them in backround and heard the examiners sayin hello + name etc. my examiner over-heard them also and said 'by the way ill be doing the test'

when going to do reverse around the corner another test pulled up behind us to do it while i was about to so i paused, and didnt know what to do like wait or not and the examiner kept looking back, didnt say anything so after a few mins it was akward and i asked him what do you want me to do (meaning wait or drive off) he paused and didnt answer (this made me nervous) he then said..em.. ill see now.. (we basically waited till they finished but he didnt know what he wanted me to do) again this made me nevous and i actually got a grade 1 for not doing it perfectly. (i have done it perfectly every single time including 1st ever time)

I didnt notice him doing much marking and when near the end i noticed he was doing alot more (found this strange.)

result: he said i need to work on some things and handed me the results and that was it. no explanation, didnt tell me what i did wrong or explain properly.
    i thought about appealing the desicion but there is no point really.

I walked backed in chatting and felt like id passed the exam no bother and i was shocked i failed. it was one of the easier routes which i had done pre-tests and a couple were that route. i had actually passed a pre-test a few days before with the same route. with the exam i had bin-truck, ambulance, roadworks etc and been told about positonal i felt i was correct with my driving.

sorry for the rant needed to get this off my chest

Sorry to hear that. Tester don't have to go through the results with you - they could say well I gave you a grade 3 for x,y and z and you could disagree so they're advised not to go through your faults.

I failed twice before I passed, both times the testers told me some thing to improve (going up and down gears, progress etc) but didn't say I gave you a fault at this point for doing this.

Just dust yourself down, reapply and try to get as much practice in as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

It's not unusual for the tester not to elaborate over faults, in fact they aren't supposed to (something I feel that should be changed, but that's the way it is for the moment). A few more lessons before your next test should improve things greatly!

Best of luck, and Happy Christmas!

Hi,

But it has been changed and for some time. All examiners are trained to give a few brief run-down on the test.

However they will not if they believe it may lead to an argument and they will definitely not take on the role of a driving instructor and explain things that should have been covered by your instructor.

If a person passes a few mock tests given by an instructor and fails the real test, in my opinion it is the instructor who needs to explain, not the examiner. That is if they drove the same in the real test as they did in the mocks.

From Standard Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests

Verbal Feedback

Before handing the Pass or Fail Certificate, and the Report Sheet, to the applicant, the tester should ask the applicant if he/she would like some brief verbal feedback on some aspects of their test.

Where the applicant declines the offer, the Certificate and Report Sheet should then be issued in the normal way

Where the applicant accepts the offer, the tester should point out that the marking system is explained in the notes on the back of the Report Sheet, and, in the case of an unsuccessful applicant, that one (or more) of the threshold points was reached during the test.

The tester should then deliver the feedback, based closely on the training course guidelines. The terminology to be used should begin with "An example of this type of fault would be - " The example should refer to the type of fault which was incurred, without referring to the actual fault itself, or to where it occurred on the route. However, in some exceptional cases, the tester may confirm the relevance of a particular fault, or location, if the tester is satisfied that it would be beneficial to do so. Where necessary, the applicant may be informed that further information is available in the Rules of the Road, and in the leaflet 'Preparing for your Driving Test'. The tester should avoid adopting the role of a driving-instructor.

Feedback need not be offered to an applicant who has passed the test, and who has incurred few, if any faults.

Where an applicant has incurred 9 or more separate faults, the tester should merely tell the applicant that, as can be seen on the Report Sheet, there are a number of areas where further development is needed.

Where more than 2 major fault aspects are marked, the tester should limit the feedback to 2/3 aspects, and tell the applicant that there are other areas where further development is needed.

Where the tester forms the opinion that an applicant may become aggressive, or emotionally upset, or where language difficulties may arise, the tester may decide not to offer feedback, or to curtail it, if it has commenced. Where necessary, the tester should paraphrase briefly, and conclude by saying - "I am not permitted to discuss the details of the test."

A typical verbal feedback session should not last any longer than 30-60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

But it has been changed and for some time. All examiners are trained to give a few brief run-down on the test.

However they will not if they believe it may lead to an argument and they will definitely not take on the role of a driving instructor and explain things that should have been covered by your instructor.
    Thanks for putting this up. I wasn't aware of it, given that the examiners on both my failing and passing test in 2009 refused to give any feedback more specific than "the sheet should explain everything you need" which is, of course, entirely useless.
    It also seems pointless and frankly irresponsible for examiners to make subjective judgement calls about what your instructor should have covered and withhold potentially life-changing information. If you know what (potentially fatal) mistake someone is making and in what situations, then explain it to them!
    The tester should then deliver the feedback, based closely on the training course guidelines. The terminology to be used should begin with "An example of this type of fault would be - " The example should refer to the type of fault which was incurred, without referring to the actual fault itself, or to where it occurred on the route.
    Again, this is useless, and pointlessly so since the examiner clearly has specific knowledge of the faults committed in the context of the test which the subject just took. It really is not hard to say "at the right turn from Collins Avenue you should have waited for oncoming traffic to pass - it was too close".
    Feedback need not be offered to an applicant who has passed the test, and who has incurred few, if any faults.

Where an applicant has incurred 9 or more separate faults, the tester should merely tell the applicant that, as can be seen on the Report Sheet, there are a number of areas where further development is needed.

Where more than 2 major fault aspects are marked, the tester should limit the feedback to 2/3 aspects, and tell the applicant that there are other areas where further development is needed.
    This is more of the same. The guidelines may have been changed, but only to explicitly enable the same terse, unenlightening behaviour from examiners.

The entire section of quoted guidelines could be summed up as "you don't really have to tell them anything. If you want, give them generic explanations of what each type of fault is, but not in the context of the test". It's no more useful than looking up any book on the driving test; an awful shame because it discards all of the specific, expert knowledge about your driving errors collected by experienced examiners.

Regarding the justification that all feedback can be omitted because the testee might get angry, this is counterproductive and unfair for anyone who wants to genuinely improve their safe driving skills. Can you imagine if you had to go to court, and the judge said "I find you guilty, but I'm not permitted to discuss with you the reasons why, in case you get upset (even though you're probably more upset about going to jail). Ask any lawyer to explain the faults marked on this justice sheet." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Sorry for bumping(ish) this. :P

Failed today in Cavan. Got 4 Grade 2's in a row for Observation Turning Left, and a few others. I'm a bit gutted but it's just one of those things. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Failed this morning in churchtown, 1 mark off passing, really nice examiner, told me exactly what i was doing wrong, he told me to reapply straight away and just drive drive drive till i get a new date, i have the knowledge apparently just not enough confidence. Oh and i lightened the mood a bit when he called the guy who pulled out in front of me a prat:D

Advertisement