Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Daisy03 wrote: »
    The funny thing is in the pretests I never got faults for progress! And the areas I got faults for in my pretests didn't crop up in the proper test! One of my progress faults was for driving at around 40kph when he said I should have gone up to 50kph. My reasoning was that there were loads of parked cars and it was a residential area but at least I know for the next time.

The parked cars were mainly on the straight. I indicated as I had to cross the White line but I didn't go extremely wide, I think I was less than a car door width out from them and the cars on the other side of the road could still pass me. He also gave me a fault for not overtaking a car! I waited as there was an oncoming car and this road was narrower but he thought I should have gone! I just couldn't win :)

Will apply again soon and Hopefully the experience of doing it once will help.
    Hope you have got a new date /have passed since posting...I can't understand the bit about having to hit the speed limit continously, especially if there are parked cars at side of the road and it's narrowed in, and more caution is necessary...if a tester can see you're a good driver and less speed than the limit is warranted, why mark you down for it? I would have thought that was commendable rather than offensive, but then, reading all the posts here, it seems like you can fail for wearing the wrong socks. I am practicing, have had several different instructors due to moving about etc. and every one of them has a differing opinion on where I fall down, confusing much, yip, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Didnt pass in Raheny, Tester was nice and route was easy(lucky with this as I have heard so many horror stories about some of the Raheny routes) got 19 grade 2s, 4 under Observation(moving off), vehicle controls (footbrake) and reaction to hazards so that made up 12 of them, the others were spread around and where only one mark in each area that was marked so that wasnt too bad. I dont understand the breaking issue he marked me for??? and as I know he cant discuss it(terrible idea btw) I didnt ask, he did say the reaction to Hazards was a Bus that came down a narrow street and I stopped to let it pass(bad advice I was given before test on this one, I was told dont try to pass a hazard during the test or else its instant fail), the tester said he thought I stopped because I was nervous (not true as I pass stuff like that everyday) which failed me the exam as the tester had written very little up until that point. IMO opinion it is not a fair exam which everyone knows and maybe is why there is so much negativity associated with the way the test is conducted, but my test and tester where both fine that day and the funny part was at the end when he asked my to park on a double yellow line, when I pointed it out to him he said "ah, dont worry about it, you will be fine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Didnt pass in Raheny, Tester was nice and route was easy(lucky with this as I have heard so many horror stories about some of the Raheny routes) got 19 grade 2s, 4 under Observation(moving off), vehicle controls (footbrake) and reaction to hazards so that made up 12 of them, the others were spread around and where only one mark in each area that was marked so that wasnt too bad. I dont understand the breaking issue he marked me for??? and as I know he cant discuss it(terrible idea btw) I didnt ask, he did say the reaction to Hazards was a Bus that came down a narrow street and I stopped to let it pass(bad advice I was given before test on this one, I was told dont try to pass a hazard during the test or else its instant fail), the tester said he thought I stopped because I was nervous (not true as I pass stuff like that everyday) which failed me the exam as the tester had written very little up until that point. IMO opinion it is not a fair exam which everyone knows and maybe is why there is so much negativity associated with the way the test is conducted, but my test and tester where both fine that day and the funny part was at the end when he asked my to park on a double yellow line, when I pointed it out to him he said "ah, dont worry about it, you will be fine"

Thats hilarious, only in this country :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

FAILED my test today just because I went through an orange light so the tester gave me a grade 3!! Only got 4 grade 2's so I would have passed...really pissed off now but I have re applied and the rsa are picking the date for me so that could be a month away! Thanks everyone for the help.

FAILED my test today just because I went through an orange light so the tester gave me a grade 3!! Only got 4 grade 2's so I would have passed...really pissed off now but I have re applied and the rsa are picking the date for me so that could be a month away! Thanks everyone for the help.

sorry to hear that, it is one of the things that annoys me too, I want to do the test as soon as Possible once I failed but need to wait almost 2 months for another test. I have almost considered applying for another test now just incase I fail the next one over some minor thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Last time I failed, I re-applied as soon as I got home, told them I'd accept a cancellation anywhere in Dublin and had another test within 3 weeks - which I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Failed for a second time in Cavan last week :(

First time round I got 1 Grade 3 and only 3-4 Grade 2s mostly for observation and stuff when turning left - deserved it too - told to turn left ahead and though it was at the roundabout ahead and not the side road that I though was 1 way... when I realised I was basically at the junction and a car parked on the double yellow lines at the corner so had to swing in and crossed the middle line on the road and didn't noticed the car driving out and had to hit the brakes to avoid him... looked terrible but I know but wouldn't have happened if I'd known the street was 2 way :( worst thing was it was at 9am during the christmas holidays for the schools so couldn't have possibly gotten a quieter time of day... **** happens but no excuses and I did deserve to fail on that mistake... practice turning left loads in the mean time until next time and get it then

2nd time round had a disaster day :( have never driven that badly since I first sat in a car... mistakes all around the place.. racing the engine on the hill start even though I haven't done that in months and months... letting the car drift out when taking a long sweeping bend... messing the reverse up.... pedestrians running out across the road at every given chance :mad: (1pm so town really busy) - got a Grade 3 for reactions to hazard so I'm assuming it was for one of these pedestrians and me having to hit the breaks because I can't see where else I failed to react to hazards. Even managed to run a stop sign (tester said it to me afterwards) somewhere but I am dubious about that one.. have gone around the route again and cannot see where this stop sign was so kinda annoyed about that one but I definetly didn't deserve to pass... got 2 Grade 3s and 10-11 Grade 2s in 20 minutes :( absolute disaster so it was but least I know I can't do that badly again I hope :o

really was such a let down because I'd been really confident going into the test the second time around especially after the first time around... and I made such a shams of it partly from nerves, and maybe even overconfidence... applying again so just gonna have to get out again and get as much practice in I suppose and after that hopefully I can post in the successful thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Failed for a second time in Cavan last week :(

First time round I got 1 Grade 3 and only 3-4 Grade 2s mostly for observation and stuff when turning left - deserved it too - told to turn left ahead and though it was at the roundabout ahead and not the side road that I though was 1 way... when I realised I was basically at the junction and a car parked on the double yellow lines at the corner so had to swing in and crossed the middle line on the road and didn't noticed the car driving out and had to hit the brakes to avoid him... looked terrible but I know but wouldn't have happened if I'd known the street was 2 way :( worst thing was it was at 9am during the christmas holidays for the schools so couldn't have possibly gotten a quieter time of day... **** happens but no excuses and I did deserve to fail on that mistake... practice turning left loads in the mean time until next time and get it then

2nd time round had a disaster day :( have never driven that badly since I first sat in a car... mistakes all around the place.. racing the engine on the hill start even though I haven't done that in months and months... letting the car drift out when taking a long sweeping bend... messing the reverse up.... pedestrians running out across the road at every given chance :mad: (1pm so town really busy) - got a Grade 3 for reactions to hazard so I'm assuming it was for one of these pedestrians and me having to hit the breaks because I can't see where else I failed to react to hazards. Even managed to run a stop sign (tester said it to me afterwards) somewhere but I am dubious about that one.. have gone around the route again and cannot see where this stop sign was so kinda annoyed about that one but I definetly didn't deserve to pass... got 2 Grade 3s and 10-11 Grade 2s in 20 minutes :( absolute disaster so it was but least I know I can't do that badly again I hope :o

really was such a let down because I'd been really confident going into the test the second time around especially after the first time around... and I made such a shams of it partly from nerves, and maybe even overconfidence... applying again so just gonna have to get out again and get as much practice in I suppose and after that hopefully I can post in the successful thread :cool:

Hey don't give up trying. I know myself I have had days like that while going out for practise drives and for pre-test lessons. Don't be too hard on yourself. Keep on practising. You improve in time and with experience you get there in the end. Confidence is key but being over confident can be worse than nerves. You were probably quiet nervous I say. Act like you are doing a driving lesson rather than a test. Keep calm and collected. Drive as if you are on your own or with your instructor you be less likely to make mistakes. How long have you been learning to drive? Have you had professional driving lessons?

Concentrate too. Observation is a big thing in the test, mirrors as well and proper use of the vehicle controls and complying to the rules of the road. Its easy to miss a stop sign if it at an awkward position. Be more aware of them in future I suppose. Generally you must come to a complete stop at a stop sign even if traffic is clear. You fail and get a grade 3 fault otherwise for that, so its an instant fail like you would be going through a red light/not stopping at a red light.

Mounting the kerb when taking a turn would be a grade 3 fault. I suppose if you don't anticipate, plan ahead and deal with a hazard appropriately you might be misjudging the situation and that's why the tester graded you a grade 3 on if it was a regular occurrence. Like if you stall a lot and cause an obstruction you could get a grade fault though you won't get a grade fault for stalling unless you are causing an obstruction or that you are doing it more than a few times, if you did it once you be ok, understandable at a hill, just keep going and forget about it concentrate on what you are doing next is all you can do forget what you have done concentrate on what you are doing. It all comes with experience.

Keep practising and I think if you go for a practise drive every day or nearly every day you will improve greatly. Get lessons from a professional instructor if you can in between to brush up on bad habits you may not know of but if you are aware of them you will correct them you need to practise continuously to correct them. Maybe go for a few pre-test lessons they be good indicators to show how you are performing and where you need to improve on, an instructor will guide you as to what you need to do to deal with a particular manoeuvre you find difficult like the hill or the reverse, takes time, practise and patience to get them right. A lot of it is down the clutch, timing, and the brake/accelerator for the hill start and also the steering for the reversing plus observation/mirrors/anticipation would be the big part of the reverse other than the procedure of the reverse.

How did you do with the turnabout? Similar to the reverse.

Aim to pass it next time its a goal you can achieve with enough practise and preparation! Though reverse psychology probably be 'you are going to fail' motivate yourself to pass! Though try not to be over confident! Be calm and do your best! That is all you can do! You can do it!

Best of Luck with the driving and your next test! Fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

Failed for the third time in Wicklow today. Only on observation, the sheet was otherwise clean bar a green or two.

I had the same tester who I had the past two times as well, and all three times he has failed me solely on one section (last time mirrors, the time before that observation as well).
    Both driving instructors that I have seen have told me to put in a complaint, and that he is at this all the time, regularly passing people who should not pass and failing competent drivers.

Don't want to name names, but has anyone else experienced this guy? Drivers in Wicklow should know who I mean...

Also, what does putting in a complaint do? Can I request a different tester next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Smuckie I know exactly who you mean, and have the same experience! he is mad into observation but so much so he told me afterwards what he wanted and when i discussed this with my instructor she was shocked because what he wanted was dangerous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Molecule

I failed my test for the third time today and I am absolutely, totally gutted :(

I've been driving just under a year but I get a lot of practice and I absolutely have to get my license as my work entails a lot of travel. I did my first test in Dublin and failed. This was no surprise as I was really, really nervous and hadn't been driving long. No grade 3s, just a fair few grade 2s. I worked on the faults I was given and sat the test again about a month ago in another city where I have moved for work. I failed again. This time I would've passed but for a grade 3 on a roundabout. I failed to see a car that was going the whole way round the roundabout and moved beyond the line before seeing it and breaking. Anyways, that was that. Today I did it in the same city again. I wasn't nearly as nervous and actually thought maybe I had fianlly passed it. I knew there would probably be one or two small thigns but I really wasn't expecting 14 grade 2s :( It was unbelievable. Apparently when I pulled in I didn't pull in quite far enough, and on one occasion I stayed in 3rd gear when I should've gone up to 4th. He claimed my observation wasn't good on a particular occasion (moving into the right turn lane coming up to lights with no cars anywhere behind me) when I specifically remember checking. I had one grade 2 in the 'hazards' section and there seemed to be no explanation for that. Now I know in an ideal world my driving would be beyond perfect and I would have done absolutely nothing wrong, but this just seemed unreasonably harsh. There's no way I deserve more grade 2s now than I did for my first test. He even said himself that most of the time I did everything fine. When I went for a couple of lessons down here the instructor told me I was doing everything right so I don't even know what to practice. I am just so, so disillusioned with the whole process at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Molecule wrote: »
    There's no way I deserve more grade 2s now than I did for my first test. He even said himself that most of the time I did everything fine. When I went for a couple of lessons down here the instructor told me I was doing everything right so I don't even know what to practice. I am just so, so disillusioned with the whole process at the moment.
    Hard luck Molecule! Sadly, it seems that the process is extremely subjective, with opinions and marks varying greatly between examiners. It's basically outside of your hands - all you can do is take what you can from the mistakes you made (if they gave you any useful feedback; in my experience they didn't) and try to get back out there and improve before the next test.
    You can't be perfect or know everything - but you can identify a couple of areas that might be pulling you back and improve them slightly. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

That is hard Molecule. It might be worth doing another pre-test with another instructor just in case they help with pointing out other things. Some instructors are stricter than others. My current one is very strict (not in an annoying way) and so I feel he catches every single weak-point and he would probably be more strict than an examiner, though I haven't gone for a test yet so cannot be 100% sure of this. I had an instructor before him who was a bit too laid back, and not half as good at teaching technique or pointing actual/potential flaws out, so the difference is very noticable.

Good luck anyway, it is all ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

Smuckie wrote: »
    Failed for the third time in Wicklow today. Only on observation, the sheet was otherwise clean bar a green or two.

I had the same tester who I had the past two times as well, and all three times he has failed me solely on one section (last time mirrors, the time before that observation as well).
    Both driving instructors that I have seen have told me to put in a complaint, and that he is at this all the time, regularly passing people who should not pass and failing competent drivers.

Don't want to name names, but has anyone else experienced this guy? Drivers in Wicklow should know who I mean...

Also, what does putting in a complaint do? Can I request a different tester next time?

Know exactly who you mean I've had him for two tests the first test I did an absolute fantastic test hardly any marks on the sheet then he stuck in a gradde three for observation at the roundabout just as we were heading down to the test centre - I stopped waited for the cars to go looked around and went...is that not observation at a roundabout??
    Second time I saw him in the office and just went to pieces did things I haven't in the car since I started driving just because he makes me so uncomfortable! the worst thing is I have my third test tommorrow in Wicklow and it will probably be with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Failed for the 2nd time today. I failed for completely different things this time around, which is probably a bad thing. The tester was really nice and very fair. He went through all my faults and told me just to keep at it. Although he did start talking to me as we were walking back to the test centre so that kind of gave me false hope. :P

I'm a bit gutted tbh, I think it's nerves that keep getting the better of me.

frulewis wrote: »
    Know exactly who you mean I've had him for two tests the first test I did an absolute fantastic test hardly any marks on the sheet then he stuck in a gradde three for observation at the roundabout just as we were heading down to the test centre - I stopped waited for the cars to go looked around and went...is that not observation at a roundabout??
    Second time I saw him in the office and just went to pieces did things I haven't in the car since I started driving just because he makes me so uncomfortable! the worst thing is I have my third test tommorrow in Wicklow and it will probably be with him!!

How did you get on in the end? I was exactly the same, as soon as I saw him sitting there I knew that I hadn't a prayer! I rang the RSA when reapplying and they said that you are perfectly within your rights to request another tester so fingers crossed. The same tester shouldn't get you more than twice anyway. The man is the Antichrist!!

hungergamer, have you passed your test since?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Smuckie I am waiting for a new test date. Just praying I dont have your man again! He really is something else!

I didnt sit it I walked in saw your man and walked back out, my doctor gave me a note so I don't have to pay again they'll just give me a new date, defo gonna ring and request a new tester that lad is a disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Failed for the second time today in Churchtown. Been driving about 4 years, which is probably a disadvantage with bad habits etc. Tester seemed ok. I got about 19 grade 2s and a grade 3 for observation. I pulled out in front of someone. The intersection was at a bend. She appeared from nowhere, but no excuse.
    4 of the grade 2s were for both hands not being on the wheel when turning, and a few for position turning right and cutting over a solid white line.
    He didnt give me much info on my failures in the end, just kept saying 'your adi certified instructor will help you with those' (of which he is probably one).
    Last time was in Rathgar, and I was failed for completely different reasons. Mostly too close to parked cars with him, and not enough progress.
    Suppose I'll have to just cough up for an 'adi certified' instructor, as there's no consistency with what I am being marked against on.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Harley.

Hard luck cruhoortwunk, but the stuff he marked you on now and the stuff you were marked on before can be fixed. :) Because you have been driving so long I know it must seem a pain to have to pay for lessons now, but it's so worth it in the end and you're ADI will sort you out so that the next test you pass no problem. Lost of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Failed for the second time today in Churchtown. Been driving about 4 years, which is probably a disadvantage with bad habits etc. Tester seemed ok. I got about 19 grade 2s and a grade 3 for observation. I pulled out in front of someone. The intersection was at a bend. She appeared from nowhere, but no excuse.
    4 of the grade 2s were for both hands not being on the wheel when turning, and a few for position turning right and cutting over a solid white line.
    He didnt give me much info on my failures in the end, just kept saying 'your adi certified instructor will help you with those' (of which he is probably one).
    Last time was in Rathgar, and I was failed for completely different reasons. Mostly too close to parked cars with him, and not enough progress.
    Suppose I'll have to just cough up for an 'adi certified' instructor, as there's no consistency with what I am being marked against on.

That's a pity, hope you get it the next time, keep practising I think is the only way to get out of it! Best of luck with the next test! I think if you treat it like a driving lesson it might be easier to pass the test! That is what I do for the pre-test lessons.

I think that might have been down to a hazard on the road and how you deal with it?

I am currently doing pre-test lessons and to be honest like my grade faults can vary but usually are fairly consistent that I keep getting the same faults over and over again, just really hard to get out of those mistakes and habits I am making. Though my grade faults are slowly dropping which is good news for me! Though might still need to do a few more pre-tests.

I drive nearly every day! I'm the same been driving nearly 4 years but really only really properly learnt in the past couple of months. Hoping to do my test soon. Have you any advice for me who has been driving the same length of time as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I don't think the testers do instruction as well, so she was not trying to get business thrown her way. Only an ADI registered instructor is allowed to leagally charge for instruction, so hence the need to go to a registered person (basically anyone else is breaking the law and dodgey).

If you do a few pre-tests with an instructor that will probably help detect and iron out problems.

I didnt sit it I walked in saw your man and walked back out, my doctor gave me a note so I don't have to pay again they'll just give me a new date, defo gonna ring and request a new tester that lad is a disaster!!

Wow you really hate him don't you!!! Yeah he is absolutely fierce. I am going to call soon and put in a formal complaint. If everyone who hates him as much as us does that, we should be laughing!

Failed today in Raheny for the 2nd time, Thought I failed near the very start as I went a bit wide on the reverse around a corner and went a bit fast around a few bends, but when I checked my sheet at the end there were no faults for this, actually I got almost no faults except for under position and the shock for me was I got 3 grade 3's, me getting a grade 3 is a surprise as I received none on my previous test and consider myself a really safe driver, got them for turning left, turning right and right of way overtaking. Got some bad advice from an instructor which also lost me a few points...........really need to get the licence fast.

Smuckie wrote: »
    Wow you really hate him don't you!!! Yeah he is absolutely fierce. I am going to call soon and put in a formal complaint. If everyone who hates him as much as us does that, we should be laughing!

I just couldn't do it, i knew i'd fail again with him, something about him just makes me want to womit ;) I wasn't gonna lose out on another 85 euros so i said feck it hopefully get a new date soon!

I just couldn't do it, i knew i'd fail again with him, something about him just makes me want to womit ;) I wasn't gonna lose out on another 85 euros so i said feck it hopefully get a new date soon!

Well fair play. Hopefully you get another date soon, and make sure you request a new tester! Haven't heard anything about mine yet, fingers crossed it's soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Been meaning to post here for a while. Three failures so far. First one was a bad fail, second one was even worse, and third time round I would've passed, had a not gotten a grade 3 at the very start.

Tough lads out in Finglas. I'm keeping the profit margin up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

JoePie wrote: »
    Been meaning to post here for a while. Three failures so far. First one was a bad fail, second one was even worse, and third time round I would've passed, had a not gotten a grade 3 at the very start.

Tough lads out in Finglas. I'm keeping the profit margin up anyway.

What happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+1

That's where I am doing my test too. Would be interested in knowing what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Came out of the test centre, took a right. Tester tells me to take the next left. For those who don't know, lots of old housing estates in Finglas with narrow roads. There's a car on my immediate left just before the turn, and people crossing the road that I'm turning into, coming in the direction I'm coming from, if you get me. The road was pretty narrow, I gave the people a second to cross, then went around the car and took the left turn as you would expect. However, there are actually road markings on that road for a two-way system, and even though there was no way I could've taken the turn without going onto the other side of the road (my car just won't swing that tight given where the car was parked), so i got a grade 3 for positioning on the road. Of course, I didn't realise all of this until after I had made the turn.

I really don't like that the driving test is based on these "perfect driving" standards. It doesn't reflect real driving. If everyone followed the RSA standards in a perfect world, there'd be no road deaths and everyone could pass their test first time round. Then again, I could've gotten a rough tester who was looking for any excuse to fail me.

At the same time, having been down by the test centre for other reasons recently, I made a point of checking that junction for one-way signs, and there are none, so I can see why he failed me.

Advertisement