Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

JoePie wrote: »
    Came out of the test centre, took a right. Tester tells me to take the next left. For those who don't know, lots of old housing estates in Finglas with narrow roads. There's a car on my immediate left just before the turn, and people crossing the road that I'm turning into, coming in the direction I'm coming from, if you get me. The road was pretty narrow, I gave the people a second to cross, then went around the car and took the left turn as you would expect. However, there are actually road markings on that road for a two-way system, and even though there was no way I could've taken the turn without going onto the other side of the road (my car just won't swing that tight given where the car was parked), so i got a grade 3 for positioning on the road. Of course, I didn't realise all of this until after I had made the turn.

I really don't like that the driving test is based on these "perfect driving" standards. It doesn't reflect real driving. If everyone followed the RSA standards in a perfect world, there'd be no road deaths and everyone could pass their test first time round. Then again, I could've gotten a rough tester who was looking for any excuse to fail me.

At the same time, having been down by the test centre for other reasons recently, I made a point of checking that junction for one-way signs, and there are none, so I can see why he failed me.

Ha, same reason I got a grade 3 but I was in Raheny, was asked to turn left, there was a parked car sitting right were my turn was so showing the tester that I was perceiving the hazard I turn wide slowly which I received a grade 3 for road position, this was a very long thin road with cars parked on both sides, saw a car further down the road so contemplated waiting but felt there was plenty of room to meet and pass him by, another grade 3 for overtaking right of way. I need a license asap so this stuff annoys me, not looking foward to the new driving test which they say will be harder.....Harder how? I heard you will have to change a tire and parallel park, and all that only to get a crappy R plate and no driving rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Can't say I've heard anything about a new test. Although, those things make sense in the real world of driving. Not reversing around corners.

I assume, having an old system license would mean we would do the current style test, rather than a new then? I'm only assuming since I don't have to deal with any of that R plate rubbish or log books or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Failed my test today.

I got grade 2's for:

Position on the straight : 1
    Observation changing lane : 1 (dont think I deserved that, it was for not looking over my right shoulder when turning into a lane which is only starting.

Observation turning left: 1

Overtaking safely: 2 - I left excessive clearance for parked cars

Signals, Overtaking : 1

Progress on the straight : 2

Gears: 4 - He said I didn't go into 4th enough

I think its all pretty easily fixed, I just need to go into 4th gear more, stay closer to cars when overtaking, and make sure I stay at 50km and then hopefully I should pass

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hard luck, but those are all easily fixed you should pass next time no problem!

Did the tester say the overtaking marks were for too much clearance? It's more common to have too little clearance! A doors width is the usual recommendation.

As for the observation changing lane thing, you still need to check over your shoulder even if the lane is just starting - sometimes cars can move out over the hatch markings early (which they shouldn't, but it does happen), and also motorbikes/cyclists etc. may move over early to get into the lane which is starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Hard luck, but those are all easily fixed you should pass next time no problem!

Did the tester say the overtaking marks were for too much clearance? It's more common to have too little clearance! A doors width is the usual recommendation.

As for the observation changing lane thing, you still need to check over your shoulder even if the lane is just starting - sometimes cars can move out over the hatch markings early (which they shouldn't, but it does happen), and also motorbikes/cyclists etc. may move over early to get into the lane which is starting!

Yea he said that I left much more than a doors width.

I'll just make sure I look over the next time, it was just that my driving instructor told me not to :(

Going to try to get a test as soon as possible and hopefully I will pass. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Observation changing lane : 1 (dont think I deserved that, it was for not looking over my right shoulder when turning into a lane which is only starting.
    It's probably a good idea, for the same reason that you should check your blindspot when you're planning to overtake someone, just in case someone else is overtaking you too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rsboy

Failed in Woodview test centre in Limerick today. 1st test. Driving since November. Only get to drive when I have a lesson as I do not have access to a car. Anyway I got 14 Grade 2's. Mainly problems with obversation. Was fine before the test but the car cut out near the start so I got really nervous and get making stupid mistakes.
    I booked the test straight away again and am looking for a cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hope its ok to post this here, in case anyone that has failed their test at Finglas finds it useful.

I went to the Finglas test center today with my instructor. We sat in the car park and watched people leaving to do their tests. He pointed out to me the mistakes that people were making at the very beginning of their test. It was very, very informative. Three of the four people that we saw got a grade 2 within 3 seconds of pulling out.

The test center is in a rather small and cramped business park with horrible signage and road markings. When you are pulling away from the car parking spaces, there are no markings that you about to pull into a 2 lane drive way. The distance to it is not far so all the cars pulled out on to it, but none of them indicated that they were doing so. Automatic Grade 2. Then you have to stop at a cafe at the corner, and indicate that you are going to turn left to head towards the exit. They all did that ok.

Just before the security hut at the exit, you pass another 4 way intersection. It is a car park sized intersection, not a road sized intersection if you know what I mean, but it is still a 4 way intersection. None of the cars slowed down as they approached it, or looked left and right to check in case other cars or pedestrians may coming. For all the cars going out, the barrier was up & there was no cars in front of them. So they just drove straight ahead, and then turned either left or right onto the main road to start the main body of their test. None of them slowed down, as they approached intersection before the security hut. Another Grade 2 for observation.

Entering the complex after your test, you should slow down as you enter after the security hut, and show that you are aware that traffic may be coming from your left and right at this intersection. That is another Grade 2 for observation if you don't.

So for some unlucky drivers, that is 3 Grade 2's before/after they do any real road driving.

All of this may seem rather obvious, if you have never been there. If you are unfamiliar with the test center location, or are so eager to get out on the actual road and start your test proper, it is easy to over look the pitfalls that the test centres location itself offers up.

Hope that helps someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hope its ok to post this here, in case anyone that has failed their test at Finglas finds it useful.

I went to the Finglas test center today with my instructor. We sat in the car park and watched people leaving to do their tests. He pointed out to me the mistakes that people were making at the very beginning of their test. It was very, very informative. Three of the four people that we saw got a grade 2 within 3 seconds of pulling out.

The test center is in a rather small and cramped business park with horrible signage and road markings. When you are pulling away from the car parking spaces, there are no markings that you about to pull into a 2 lane drive way. The distance to it is not far so all the cars pulled out on to it, but none of them indicated that they were doing so. Automatic Grade 2. Then you have to stop at a cafe at the corner, and indicate that you are going to turn left to head towards the exit. They all did that ok.

Just before the security hut at the exit, you pass another 4 way intersection. It is a car park sized intersection, not a road sized intersection if you know what I mean, but it is still a 4 way intersection. None of the cars slowed down as they approached it, or looked left and right to check in case other cars or pedestrians may coming. For all the cars going out, the barrier was up & there was no cars in front of them. So they just drove straight ahead, and then turned either left or right onto the main road to start the main body of their test. None of them slowed down, as they approached intersection before the security hut. Another Grade 2 for observation.

Entering the complex after your test, you should slow down as you enter after the security hut, and show that you are aware that traffic may be coming from your left and right at this intersection. That is another Grade 2 for observation if you don't.

So for some unlucky drivers, that is 3 Grade 2's before/after they do any real road driving.

All of this may seem rather obvious, if you have never been there. If you are unfamiliar with the test center location, or are so eager to get out on the actual road and start your test proper, it is easy to over look the pitfalls that the test centres location itself offers up.

Hope that helps someone.

Would totally agree and well explained. I did my instructors test there in finglas and the road signage in that area of the industrial estate is poor. You could very easily make these error you have mentioned and may be the difference between a pass or a fail. It really is worthwhile getting familiar with the test centre well before your test. Sounds like you may have the same instructor as I did. Best of luck when your time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Harley.

Failed in Finglas few days ago. Waited till yesterday to apply for new date, paid for now. Called RSA today to see if they could give me a date if at all possible and they told me I always have to wait 3 weeks inbetween dates :eek: surely putting in for a cancelation means getting a date a few days after or so, if there is a slot that is.

But not getting anything until then is going to drive me carzy (pardon the pun :rolleyes:). Is there anything I can do to speed this up at all, but without examiner thinking I did'nt practise in enough time :confused:

Thanks

• Advertisement

I ment crazy not carzy *facepalm* Anyways I have second test in few day's. ProudDub I found your last post very helpful and will definitely put everything you said into practise. The test center itself is very cramped! Anyway thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Harley. wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas few days ago. Waited till yesterday to apply for new date, paid for now. Called RSA today to see if they could give me a date if at all possible and they told me I always have to wait 3 weeks inbetween dates :eek: surely putting in for a cancelation means getting a date a few days after or so, if there is a slot that is.

But not getting anything until then is going to drive me carzy (pardon the pun :rolleyes:). Is there anything I can do to speed this up at all, but without examiner thinking I did'nt practise in enough time :confused:

Thanks

Same thing happened to me. It's standard procedure. I was told that they have to wait 3 weeks for my old result to appear on their *cough* crappy *cough* system.

Good luck with your next test. Check around if there are any other car parking spaces just outside (within reasonable distance) of the business complex. At my center, people normally park in the shopping complex that it's placed. But my instructor told me to park behind the complex where there are 3 nice parking spaces and pretty much zero traffic.

Thanks :) Sadly for Finglas car has to be paked inside the test center car park and it's normally busy with cars and trucks!! Rest of my test sheet was fine except four grade 2's in a row which i got before I even left the test center which ment a fail :( but I see now how strict they are and have a better understanding of getting out of test center slowly and hopefully without fail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Thanks :) Sadly for Finglas car has to be paked inside the test center car park and it's normally busy with cars and trucks!! Rest of my test sheet was fine except four grade 2's in a row which i got before I even left the test center which ment a fail :( but I see now how strict they are and have a better understanding of getting out of test center slowly and hopefully without fail ;)

How did you manage that?? :confused:

Im not too sure, he told me at the end the only thing I did wrong was going to fast on left and right turns so Im getting I must have swaned or something. I just went blank when he told me I'd failed I just wanted to go home!!!

My instructor did lot's of right and left turns with me straight after the test to see what was up and she said they were fine and couldn't understand why I got the marks so she asked other instructors she knew and they said the examiner's are very strict on keeping the wheel dead straight before you make a left and right turn (didn't know this during test) and to do every turn very slow including before you get out of test center! I must have acted like the test began after we got out of center.

For example: There is a T juction at a café before I leave the center that I have to go left at, last time I looked to see it was clear and went left staright away this time I will stop with hand break, look ,keep wheel dead straight and then turn ...... and hope it's rights!!! :o

Hope that made sense Faith+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Im not too sure, he told me at the end the only thing I did wrong was going to fast on left and right turns so Im getting I must have swaned or something. I just went blank when he told me I'd failed I just wanted to go home!!!

My instructor did lot's of right and left turns with me straight after the test to see what was up and she said they were fine and couldn't understand why I got the marks so she asked other instructors she knew and they said the examiner's are very strict on keeping the wheel dead straight before you make a left and right turn (didn't know this during test) and to do every turn very slow including before you get out of test center! I must have acted like the test began after we got out of center.

For example: There is a T juction at a café before I leave the center that I have to go left at, last time I looked to see it was clear and went left staright away this time I will stop with hand break, look ,keep wheel dead straight and then turn ...... and hope it's rights!!! :o

Hope that made sense Faith+1

Did you drive a bit too fast taking your turns, generally you drop to 2nd gear and slow down taking a turn as you never know who could come up on your side like a cyclist or a pedestrian on your left. Ya if you swung a bit too wide and too close to the other side of the road you could be marked for that.

I suppose what examiners mean by that is that you have to have the wheel locked a certain way and straightened at the crucial times before, during and after you turn.

What kind of T junction is it, you need to know where you give way. Is there a yield or a stop sign there? Basically just following the rules of the road there.

A lot depends on the T junction and the turn and where you position your car. For a left turn you keep left, for a right turn, left of centre. Car is usually straight before a right turn and then turn wheel, for a left turn generally stay left but maybe have wheel turned to the left. It depends on the road and T junction.

Make sure you can see both sides of the road and stop/yield in the correct position.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

What category did you get those 4 Grade 2s under?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Atna

Guys,
    Don't feel low, you'll make it eventually. Keep on taking tests until you are passed :)

Below is the cheat sheet that I have compiled after attending various driving lessons and tests.. has some valuable information in it :)

Best of Luck!

Gear Usage:
    • 1st Gear : Starting and Moving upto 3 Car Lengths
    • 2nd Gear : Approaching Turns and Roundabouts
    • 3rd Gear : Stopping (Shift to 1st after Stopping)
    • 4th Gear : Driving
    • Always stop on T junction.
    • Yield, Right of Way if the gap is less than 6 Seconds.
    • Check Mirrors every 15 seconds, when driving straight.
    • Progress: Drive on 4th Gear where possible. Speed limit is 50 in Finglas.
    • Look ahead and be prepared to reduce speed for junctions and roundabouts.
    • Drive Close to Kerb on Straight and Left Turns and after turning Right.
    • Coasting: Left foot should rest after 3d and 4th gears.
    • Follow Moving Off rules after Hill Stop or any other Stop.

ABBREVIATIONS USED
    • MSMM: MIRROR-SIGNAL-MIRROR-MANEUVER
    • MANEUVER = PSL
    • PSL: POSITION-SPEED-LOOK
    • B: CHECK BLIND CORNERS
    • BBC: BREAK BEFORE CLUTCH

Changing Lanes: (B)MSMM
    Overtaking: (B)MSMM

Starting the Car:
    Check handbreak.
    Check gear.
    Ignition.

Moving Off: (B)MSMM
    Look behind both Shoulders.
    Look at Main Mirror.
    Indicate to Right.
    Clutch and First Gear.
    Look in Right Mirror and behind Right Shoulder.
    Release handbreak.

Crossing parked cars:

Signal right only when cars are coming from front or behind.
    Leave door width between vehicles.

Turning Right: MSMM

Main Mirror
    and Right Mirror
    Indicate Right
    Left, Main and Right Mirror
    Slow speed and move close to the center line.
    Look into Road where turning, Right-Left-Right
    Don't cut corner or go too wide
    Check Mirrors when in new road
    Keep Close to the Kerb on New Road

Turning Left:
    Look left first into the road you are turning into to confirm its clear
    Look right to confirm there is no oncoming traffic from your right
    Look left again BEFORE you move off to confirm the road is still clear and safe
    Look for left blind spot before turning.

Stopping: MSMM
    Main Mirror.
    Indicate Left.
    Main Mirror.
    Break followed by Clutch
    Handbreak - Gear Neutral - Indicator off

Stopping on Signal:
    Main Mirror
    Break followed by Clutch - Handbreak
    Gear: First if short stay -
    Neutral if longer stay

Reverse Around Corner:
    Mark Kerb point in back mirrorStart turning when V appears in left mirror, V shape between Car and Kerb.
    Before Turning the wheel check your right blind corner as car will move outward from front.

Turnabout:
    Turn steering quickly.
    Indicate right on first step.
    Follow Moving off rules.

Hand Break after each step.

KEY LINKS
    Rules: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/
    Booking Test: http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Apply-online/
    List of Questions: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124540
    List of Questions: http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/answers.html
    Must See: http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/good-driving.html
    Turn About: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYk3CgyvDI&feature=related
    Pedestrian crossings: http://www.2pass.co.uk/crossing.htm
    Driving Videos: http://www.drivinghelp.com/courses/?PHPSESSID=7a549854c5a60e9fc72274cd91371d01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just failed in Cavan again - I got a grade 3 parking the car in the car park at the end for not observing enough :( I was dead sure I was looking around though which is the worst part - can't see how it was enough for a grade 3 and especially at the very very end of the test - very very frustrating :(

had 6 other blues so I suppose I can't say it was the only thing I did wrong all day but still - so close yet another €85 down the drain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    just failed in Cavan again - I got a grade 3 parking the car in the car park at the end for not observing enough :( I was dead sure I was looking around though which is the worst part - can't see how it was enough for a grade 3 and especially at the very very end of the test - very very frustrating :(

had 6 other blues so I suppose I can't say it was the only thing I did wrong all day but still - so close yet another €85 down the drain :(

Keep at it, I think the positive thing to take from that is you were under the allowed number of blues, so in general you are close to passing, it sounds like it was a harsh grade 3.

• Advertisement

What a bunch of horse****, I drove perfect today, every single aspect was right, pulling out check rear view mirror, side mirror indicate look over shoulder, correct road position, not to close and not too far from parked cars, perfect speed around corners not too wide, give way to traffic when there is a parked car on my side, correct lanes on roundabouts and indicating correctly on mini roundabouts. I know all these things as I had failed on them before and had corrected them and they were perfect. After 45 minutes of a test(the longest test I have ever done) the guy says "I have some bad news for you" I said no way and he laughed and said yeah, there are a few things, when I saw under his hand he had given me 3 marks for moving off I immediately knew he was taking the piss, I stood up and told him "forget about it, you can keep your fail form, its a joke that you make up marks just because you are proud to keep Raheny centers 60% fail rate". I know so much about the test now I could be an instructor. I really dont see the point in applying again if they just make up stuff, If I do the test again it will be in a different center and I will request a supervisor comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Hard luck man. Probably best if you do it else where next time. If what you say is true its reasons like this why they don't allow you to video record the test. It would interfere with the daily pass/fail quota. :mad:

Personally I would appeal it, might get you know where but its the principle in my opinion.

Hard luck man. Probably best if you do it else where next time. If what you say is true its reasons like this why they don't allow you to video record the test. It would interferes daily pass/fail quota. :mad:

Personally I would appeal it, might get you know where but its the principle in my opinion.

Thanks, just annoyed at all the prep work involved and it felt like the guy wanted me to fail as he took me on a really long route, I must have covered all the ground I had done on my last 3 tests in just this one, but lucky for me I handled each one very well. I kinda wish I did take the testing sheet off him before I stormed out but I knew it was ****. I heard its not worth our while appealing even though I was warned by my neighbors who both failed Raheny 4 times each and pass first time each in Finglas also same as the Chinese delivery driver who failed 8 times in Raheny and got it first time in Tallaght but I did hear if you have failed a few times you can request someone supervise the tester. I have wasted alot of money on pretests and each time they say "you are doing nothing wrong, dont see a reason you will fail" Guess this sounds like a rant.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ilovemybed

@chris_heilong

I failed three times in Raheny and passed it on my fourth attempt. To be honest Ideserved to fail the first time I drove crap. The second and third time I got 9 grade 2's ...so close and yet so far. I was then at breaking point and ranted for weeks to my family, instructor, friends and anyone who would listen that I was never going to drive and I was selling the car. . . . Yes i even had a car ready to be insured waiting on me. I was convinced to go out driving in Finglas and suss it out and I came home full of more anger. The roads are completely different up there. I came home and booked my test but mmade a mistake and booked it for Raheny AGAIN. I grinned and beared it and sat the test and passed on 4th attempt. I was cracking up at this point. If you want to go to Finglas go for it. Drive around up there though, it seems to be quite busy with bus routes so your test may be slow.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Failed in Galway this morning.. I was very nervous.... I got a mark or 2 for Observations taking off.. Can anyone advise me of what I might be doing wrong.. I thought I was fine with that.

And the main reason for my failure was Progression & brakes! Grr, he said I brake a lot when I should just go! I was only doing that due to nerves & worrying that he'd mark me if I did go! Agh..

I know I was good other than that so I jut need a lot of practice. He told me to apply again & I should get it next time..

That was my 2nd attempt.. Any advice would be really appreciated.. I am thinking of just getting in the car & practicing more often & applying for a cancellation when I feel ready.. Can one ever feel fully ready?

I think this particular tester likes people to progress a bit quicker than the guy I had last time according to my instructor.. I suppose it's down to who you get too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Failed in Galway this morning.. I was very nervous.... I got a mark or 2 for Observations taking off.. Can anyone advise me of what I might be doing wrong.. I thought I was fine with that.

And the main reason for my failure was Progression & brakes! Grr, he said I brake a lot when I should just go! I was only doing that due to nerves & worrying that he'd mark me if I did go! Agh..

I know I was good other than that so I jut need a lot of practice. He told me to apply again & I should get it next time..

That was my 2nd attempt.. Any advice would be really appreciated.. I am thinking of just getting in the car & practicing more often & applying for a cancellation when I feel ready.. Can one ever feel fully ready?

I think this particular tester likes people to progress a bit quicker than the guy I had last time according to my instructor.. I suppose it's down to who you get too...

Sometimes you have to overdo the observation. I am constantly getting marked down for that in my pre's. I might not do it once or not enough and get marked for it and might be just for one or two things like. Looking with your eyes isn't enough, you have to kind of turn the head in such a way that the tester can see that you are looking with your eyes. He can't see you doing it when you just look with your eyes, if you turn your head and look with your eyes as well as looking in mirrors/blindspots and all round observation you won't get marked down on it. It's a common thing to get a fault on.

What that when you were pulling out/moving off at first? You kind of do it in 6 steps mainly, a 360 degree observation, 2. Back window, 2. Left window/over left shoulder/blindspot, 3. Left Mirror, 4. Rear View Mirror, 5. Right Mirror, 6. Right Mirror/over right shoulder/blindspot. Its all in the rules of the road book there is a diagram of a car and its blindspots and observation points.

Ya progression is another area for failure of the test. Its an area I fall down on too other than the reverse. Though braking too much when you should go maybe that you slowed down when there was no need for it. Sometimes that could just have gone under the heading of not using vehicle controls appropriately and affectively. Harsh marking though on the braking but the progress I think if you too slow to go when you can safely go you be marked for that big time.

I don't think you can ever feel fully ready until you actually sit it and have already done the test you be more ready then. Its an experience and you will learn from it. Keep practising as often as you can mainly the town driving, is it in the city or a town you did your test in? Practice the routes when its quiet is one way of helping you prepare. Keep at it. The more practice you have and more experience under your belt, completing the techniques of driving properly, safely and appropriately you be grand. It might been just to nerves that got you in the end. You didn't do anything majorly wrong so just work on the areas you got faulted on if you are good at other areas of driving.

Get a couple of more pre-tests if you can it help you be geared up for the test. If you feel ready to sit the test again and feel you have prepared enough apply anyway and if you want go for a cancellation but means you need to practice every day!

I suppose so, depends every tester is different and though the test is standard, some testers want you to do it a certain way even if they say don't do that, drive like you normally drive, treat it like no one is there, or treat it like a lesson/pre-test.

Try not to get too nervous the more practice you put in the better and it beat the nerves. You have sat it twice already hopefully you get it next time, if the tester thought you pass it next time take on board his advice. Just work on a few things and you be grand, say you do grand the next time.

Best of luck with your next test!

doovdela wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to overdo the observation. I am constantly getting marked down for that in my pre's. I might not do it once or not enough and get marked for it and might be just for one or two things like. Looking with your eyes isn't enough, you have to kind of turn the head in such a way that the tester can see that you are looking with your eyes. He can't see you doing it when you just look with your eyes, if you turn your head and look with your eyes as well as looking in mirrors/blindspots and all round observation you won't get marked down on it. It's a common thing to get a fault on.

What that when you were pulling out/moving off at first? You kind of do it in 6 steps mainly, a 360 degree observation, 2. Back window, 2. Left window/over left shoulder/blindspot, 3. Left Mirror, 4. Rear View Mirror, 5. Right Mirror, 6. Right Mirror/over right shoulder/blindspot. Its all in the rules of the road book there is a diagram of a car and its blindspots and observation points.

Ya progression is another area for failure of the test. Its an area I fall down on too other than the reverse. Though braking too much when you should go maybe that you slowed down when there was no need for it. Sometimes that could just have gone under the heading of not using vehicle controls appropriately and affectively. Harsh marking though on the braking but the progress I think if you too slow to go when you can safely go you be marked for that big time.

I don't think you can ever feel fully ready until you actually sit it and have already done the test you be more ready then. Its an experience and you will learn from it. Keep practising as often as you can mainly the town driving, is it in the city or a town you did your test in? Practice the routes when its quiet is one way of helping you prepare. Keep at it. The more practice you have and more experience under your belt, completing the techniques of driving properly, safely and appropriately you be grand. It might been just to nerves that got you in the end. You didn't do anything majorly wrong so just work on the areas you got faulted on if you are good at other areas of driving.

Get a couple of more pre-tests if you can it help you be geared up for the test. If you feel ready to sit the test again and feel you have prepared enough apply anyway and if you want go for a cancellation but means you need to practice every day!

I suppose so, depends every tester is different and though the test is standard, some testers want you to do it a certain way even if they say don't do that, drive like you normally drive, treat it like no one is there, or treat it like a lesson/pre-test.

Try not to get too nervous the more practice you put in the better and it beat the nerves. You have sat it twice already hopefully you get it next time, if the tester thought you pass it next time take on board his advice. Just work on a few things and you be grand, say you do grand the next time.

Best of luck with your next test!

Thanks Doovdela,

I just need to get out there & practice.. Looking back I know I broke early to slow down & maybe could have went on a few occasions. But I thought it was best to go slow & drive extra carefully as it was the test.. Oh nerves really do mess it up for me..
    It's just frustrating that I need someone with me. I know I can do it, but finding someone to go with me is a pain & is really holding me back & paying for lessons is breaking me lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

You'll pass eventually, it took me 3 times! First time I was too cocky because my instructor had told me 'You'll fly it there's not a bother on you'.. Didn't fly it. Second time I was on a hill and missed the accelerator.. Tester nearly had heart failure and then third time lucky I passed!

All within a year and a half!

Thanks Diamond Ninja, Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I drove like an old biddy today! I'll keep on trying & will apply for a cancellation in a month or so. Practice makes perfect.. As long as I don't pick up any bad habits between now & then.. oh the stress of it all..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

Thanks Diamond Ninja, Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I drove like an old biddy today! I'll keep on trying & will apply for a cancellation in a month or so. Practice makes perfect.. As long as I don't pick up any bad habits between now & then.. oh the stress of it all..

Ask yourself some questions . Why did you drive so slow or break too early ? Was it simply because it was the test do you drive like this normally? Remember that in the test you are expected to drive as you would normally drive not how you might think the tester wants you to drive. Why are you slowing down so early at junctions ? Are you unsure of what to do or afraid of what other traffic might do? Sounds like you need some work on planning and anticipation. Atthe end of the day if you are not already getting it you will need lots and lots of practice but I know this can be difficult , but needs must. Best of luck.

Advertisement