Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ask yourself some questions . Why did you drive so slow or break too early ? Was it simply because it was the test do you drive like this normally? Remember that in the test you are expected to drive as you would normally drive not how you might think the tester wants you to drive. Why are you slowing down so early at junctions ? Are you unsure of what to do or afraid of what other traffic might do? Sounds like you need some work on planning and anticipation. Atthe end of the day if you are not already getting it you will need lots and lots of practice but I know this can be difficult , but needs must. Best of luck.

Ya you are right I do need more practice. I am a good driver but not quiet "test ready". I realise now. It's just so darned frustrating as friends of mine passed first time are are really really dangerous and if they hadn't passed first time maybe the would be a little more cautious.. It just feels very unfair but I will be better for it.. Eventually :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Hard luck man. Probably best if you do it else where next time. If what you say is true its reasons like this why they don't allow you to video record the test.
    Do they really not allow you to record the test? I never noticed them check for cameras in the car...

But if it's true, then together with their policy of not having to explain any of the marks they gave you (even if you pass) it indicates a serious and deliberate lack of transparency and accountability in their examination process. Which of course would lend itself to artificially maintaining some fixed ratio of passes and failures and generating extra income by forcing competent people to book more tests than they need. That wouldn't be so bad in itself if people didn't have to take time off work or whatever to sit the test, and if there wasn't a delay of at least three weeks between tests.

I don't see any justifiable reason whatsoever for preventing people from recording the test, which could only increase transparency and improve the process, unless of course the RSA do not want any of that. TBH, I think we deserve more from government bodies - you know, those agencies who are supposed to work for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

zynaps wrote: »
    together with their policy of not having to explain any of the marks they gave you (even if you pass)

That's not quite true, it depends on the tester. I passed my test (first time) but got a fault. Asked the tester what the mark I got was for and I was given a full frank explanation of it.

I was impressed by the professional manner that he showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

If you look on the back of the marking sheet, you will find that it states that your tester is not required to discuss with you why you failed. So, what he has stated is 100% true. In your case though, you just happened to have it explained to you.

I think that rule is the most ridiculous rule to be implemented into the driving test. Now, I have to say, I had my marks explained to me, but the fact that a tester doesn't have to do so is stupid. Is there any reasonable purpose for implementing such a rule? 'Cause the only one I can think of is to leave people clueless as to why they failed so they (the RSA), in their eyes, hope you fail agin for more $$$. <- I'm not saying this is true, it is simply the ONLY explanation I can think of..

UPDATE: After looking through the marking sheet, I found that testers are not permitted to discuss the results of your teat with you.

Source: http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/appendix_6.pdf

Now this means two things:
    - Lots of testers are not conducting the tests correctly (as they ARE discussing results.)
    - It emphasises my point above [ie. that the RSA are looking for more money (I think)]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Reati wrote: »
    That's not quite true, it depends on the tester. I passed my test (first time) but got a fault. Asked the tester what the mark I got was for and I was given a full frank explanation of it.
    I did not say that testers are required to give no feedback - I said that testers are not required to give any feedback beyond the marks on your sheet. These are different things.

Of course they can if they want to, but they often do not. I failed my first test in Raheny and the tester refused to explain or clarify any of the marks. Then I passed my second test, also in Raheny, to a different tester, who refused to give me any advice or clarification, even though I'd passed the test.

My point is that they should be required to give you as much detail as is necessary about where you picked up marks, in the context of the test they just administered. If you take a piano exam and are marked poorly on your rhythm, you can ask "in which piece, and in which sections did you notice that?" and they will almost certainly be glad to elaborate, because it helps you improve. This is more important since it relates to potentially life or death situations on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

zynaps wrote: »
    Reati wrote: »
    I did not say that testers are required to give no feedback - I said that testers are not required to give any feedback beyond the marks on your sheet. These are different things.

Of course they can if they want to, but they often do not. I failed my first test in Raheny and the tester refused to explain or clarify any of the marks. Then I passed my second test, also in Raheny, to a different tester, who refused to give me any advice or clarification, even though I'd passed the test.

My point is that they should be required to give you as much detail as is necessary about where you picked up marks, in the context of the test they just administered. If you take a piano exam and are marked poorly on your rhythm, you can ask "in which piece, and in which sections did you notice that?" and they will almost certainly be glad to elaborate, because it helps you improve. This is more important since it relates to potentially life or death situations on the road.

Please read the update to my post above for a bit of shocking information..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Failed my test today. First time but was quietly confident so absolutely gutted.

I got a Grade 3 for reversing around the corner. Hit the kerb. Disappointed as had been doing it well when doing lessons recently.

Hate the thoughts of having to do it again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Did you hit or mount it? Generally you get a grade 2 for hitting the kerb but a grade 3 for mounting the kerb. Depending on your reverse he could have given you a grade 3 for something else or for the overall manoeuvre or due to lack of observation? It should be stated where you were marked on your sheet.

Best to keep practising. Reversing ins't my strong point, no matter how much practice I put in it gets frustrating. Just keep at it and hopefully it all work out ok on your next test. Were you marked on anything else other than the reverse? You were hard done by if it was just the reverse you were faulted on though especially if you were close to passing the test overall. It was an experience.

Keep practising and best of luck on your next test!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Failed for the second time today, not only that but by doing worse than the first time... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed for the second time today, not only that but by doing worse than the first time... :(

Bah, sorry to hear that. It's how it is on the day. Somedays you're the windscreen, some days you're the bug.
    Onwards and upwards... apply again and be the windscreen next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Failed my first attempt in Finglas today. 11 grade 2s; was relieved I didn't get any grade 3s at least! I think the tester was fair and marked me down where I deserved it. I got a few that were purely down to nerves (a couple of clunky gear changes and cut out once). I'm obviously disappointed, but at least it's good practice I guess...

Can't decide now if I should just bite the bullet and reapply straight away or take a break from it for a while (the stress of it all!!)

Hey woodchuck try to not feel too hard on yourself, you did well as far as I am concerned and you didn't get a grade 3 so just work on correcting the mistakes you made today.

I think it all depends on how you get on really its a bit of luck, conditions on the day and lots of practise that can affect how you get on in your test.

Best of luck in your next test! I think you should apply as soon as you think you are ready to sit it again. Just put in as much practise as you can before your next test, work on improving the areas you were marked down on.

All the best with the driving!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I failed on Tuesday and reapplied yesterday. Definitely reapply I say, you could be driving a few weeks and pass and a few years and fail. Once you can drive, it really is just down to how you perform.

I was dreadful on Tuesday, messed up gears, the clutch, braking then I couldn't do my reverse around the corner. Things that I'm fine on any other day of the week.

I'll be just as nervous next time, just have to hope I can handle it better then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SEMM

Failed today - 2 blue ticks for right of way turining right and progress turning right. Killer was one big fat pink one for observation turning right - tester didnt feel I had entered a space large enough in traffic - fair enough. Under nerves, I panicked because I felt I was waiting at the junction for so long I would get marked for progress. It was at the very begining of my test in the first crucial 5 minutes of an otherwise flawless test - gutted! :(:(:( Note to self - do not crack under pressure - easier said than done!..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SEMM

To add to the above - I tried to reapply ASAP today - but RSA said that could not allow me to sit another test for three weeks??? Anyone else have this situation???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SEMM wrote: »
    To add to the above - I tried to reapply ASAP today - but RSA said that could not allow me to sit another test for three weeks??? Anyone else have this situation???
    Apply and then ring and say you will take a cancellation in any of a few centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Failed in Naas today. Got three grade 2's for using my clutch (what?), one grade 2 on changing lanes, 3 grade 2's for reacting to hazards, one grade 2 for stopping and one grade 2 for reversing...

So close yet so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Gagh! Failed my test today. Did a route of Churchtown that took in a smidgen of Rathgar. Met some roads that I had practiced - only in reverse. And one road I was told that 'they didn't take people on any more' by a self-declared expert. :rolleyes: Also met a lot of roads I hadn't practiced - a lot of small roads.

When we got back - failed because I had four grade 2s in the react to hazards box.

What were the hazards, you ask?

Was it the old man who ran on to the road in front of me to use a bin? No - I reacted well to him, and the auld wan with the dog on the extra long leash.

Was it the reversing cars, the cyclists, the kids ball, the old woman getting out of a car, the man with a giant ladder or any of 5 or six other dangers that looked like they were placed there to test reaction?

No.

It was the speed bumps.

:eek:

The tester felt that I was hitting them too hard and too fast on one road.

A road where there are about 11 speed bumps. He gave me four grade 2s for them.

Does this sound like the type of story someone who actually can't drive or never sat a test would make up?

I think so. :pac:

But he was very eager to help me by pointing this out back at the test centre. And clearly stated all four marks were for speed bumps.

Honestly, I'm glad he did, because I would have thought they were for something else.

I've hit speed bumps far too fast before, and I could have been softer on these ones, but I certainly didn't hit them full speed ahead. There was no 'clank' or hitting of heads on rooves.

In fact, I got another grade 2 on the sheet, because my gear was too high for the speed I was doing over these self same speed bumps and just momentarily struggled with the sedate speed.

The only thing I can guess is that nerves made me go far faster than I realised. (Though I drove the route straight after with my Ma who only passed her test last year - and we couldn't figure out the problem).

I know the tester has a lot of discretion, but after we had done all the set manoeuvres we went driving for a long time. I mean a loooooong time, with a lot of twists and bumps etc... We went down a lot of narrow, small roads, some with a good few obstructions.

So many, in fact, that at the time I thought that he must think I'm not doing the observations or something.

New application is in, but, you know, speed bumps?! Of all the friggin' things I thought I was okay on. Speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

failed yesterday in churchtown. I thought I had quite a good drive. No cut outs, executed the manouvers well.

He failed me on four grade two's for clearance to stationary vehicles..

I had 8 ticks overall. Felt I should have passed but was too shocked to say anything.

reapplying today for anywhere in south dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Failed for the 2nd time today. I'm absolutely gutted. Never want to do the test again.

I did worse than the first time. Doesn't make sense as I am a better driver than I was then (first one was in April) and my instructor said I had a better chance of passing this time. Admittedly I made quite a few errors but I thought the tester was being very harsh on me. Didn't really seem to be on my side at all and it was wrecking my head when she was constantly writing and there was me wondering what mistake I had made.

I got done three times when turning right. Said my turns were "Too square". I was only trying not to cut the sh*t out of the corner. Also said that I turned into corners too slowly and slowed down before a junction too early. Just did what I always did with my instructor yet he never had any problems. When I started taking the lessons again I was going too fast into corners. Cannot win. :(

I am just pissed off becuase I am not a bad driver. Really felt I would get it this time yet I came nowhere near getting it. In no humour to book it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Failed for the 2nd time today. I'm absolutely gutted. Never want to do the test again.

I did worse than the first time. Doesn't make sense as I am a better driver than I was then (first one was in April) and my instructor said I had a better chance of passing this time. Admittedly I made quite a few errors but I thought the tester was being very harsh on me. Didn't really seem to be on my side at all and it was wrecking my head when she was constantly writing and there was me wondering what mistake I had made.

I got done three times when turning right. Said my turns were "Too square". I was only trying not to cut the sh*t out of the corner. Also said that I turned into corners too slowly and slowed down before a junction too early. Just did what I always did with my instructor yet he never had any problems. When I started taking the lessons again I was going too fast into corners. Cannot win. :(

I am just pissed off becuase I am not a bad driver. Really felt I would get it this time yet I came nowhere near getting it. In no humour to book it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ashl

Failed again today. Seriously gutted as I was doing really well and then got a Grade 3 at a small roundabout. I never ever had a problem with these before I did not agree with the grade 3 to be honest but I would say that! If i could rebook for tomorrow I would but the fact you have to wait another 3 weeks makes me never want to do the test again.

Really upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Hey guys,

Failed my test today. Just looking for some advice. My instructor told me I need to be more observant etc, check my mirrors more. So during my test made sure I was checking mirrors, checking blindspots when changing lanes, when turning and cycle lanes were on the left and basically was told I was looking around too much, that I was nearly looking behind me some times. Also that I was sometimes nearly moving off before doing my look around, which is fair enough. Any ideas how to get the balance right, anyone else marked for being too observant? I got a mark for "ignoring a red light". There's a left turn down off a slip road from the Tallaght Bypass road on to the main Tallaght Road, N81 and apparently I ignored the main lights and just paid attention to the lights at the left turn, if that makes sense? He said it catches a lot of people out. Anyone else fail on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

ashl wrote: »
    Failed again today. Seriously gutted as I was doing really well and then got a Grade 3 at a small roundabout. I never ever had a problem with these before I did not agree with the grade 3 to be honest but I would say that! If i could rebook for tomorrow I would but the fact you have to wait another 3 weeks makes me never want to do the test again.

Really upset.

You have to wait 3 weeks? I only did mine and have reapplied????:eek:

It takes three weeks to schedule it. You can apply straight away just that there is a restriction if you recently sat a test you cannot schedule your test until three weeks have passed from the date you sat your last test. For example if you unavailable for a date or want to be on a cancellation list you might not get scheduled in until three weeks so you won't be getting a date any sooner than 4-5 weeks before your test date regardless when you apply!

The restriction only applies to those who have sat a test recently before applying again. I thought the restriction applied indefinitely once you sat a test you couldn't schedule it until they give you a date unlike when you first apply you can pick out a date I think and schedule it without restrictions unless you want to be on the cancellation list or state what dates you are not available.

Though once you have a sat a test and reapply after three weeks there are no restrictions. Just that I applied online first time and I just went with any date so didn't pick a date, I was given one as I didn't go on the cancellation list. Though I think when reapplying again you can pick a date yourself or not, not sure. Restriction is based on when you can schedule it yes but maybe you have to to be given a date not necessary pick your own? Anyone correct me on this?

My three weeks are up so will be reapplying again soon.

Danniboo wrote: »

Really upset.

You have to wait 3 weeks? I only did mine and have reapplied????:eek:

Sorry I worded that incorrectly. You can reapply straight away but unless you can prove that you need it for work or are leaving the country they won't try and give you another date for at least three weeks. I would live one again straight away but I understand they can't do that for everyone who fails. It's just a pain though as the nerves build and build. I put my name on the cancellation list so will have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stick in there, I failed 5 times and just stuck at it. With any luck you will get it next time.

Stick in there, I failed 5 times and just stuck at it. With any luck you will get it next time.

Hi Chris,
    Thanks so much for posting that. My next test will be test number 5 and I was beginning to think i was the only one until I saw your post. I always do well in the test with few grade 2 marks right up until the last five minutes and then I do something stupid or something happens to completely mess it up for me. Hopefully my nerves will stay in check the next time!
    Thanks again
    Ashl

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

Hi Chris,
    Thanks so much for posting that. My next test will be test number 5 and I was beginning to think i was the only one until I saw your post. I always do well in the test with few grade 2 marks right up until the last five minutes and then I do something stupid or something happens to completely mess it up for me. Hopefully my nerves will stay in check the next time!
    Thanks again
    Ashl

Thanks both of you for posting! My next test will be number 4. It's the kind of thing that puts you off and makes you never want to do it again. Sick and tired of seeing worse drivers than me pass their tests first time around!
    Next time is the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I failed my first driving test today :( I was very nervous, had a rough night with the worry of it! Main reason being I only got my car 10 days ago, and had not driven for quite a while because I was looking for a car. But my very patient father accompanied me for over an hour every day, and I aced the reverse around the corner and the turnabout. (the two things I had been most worried about). I got 11 grade 2's, mostly for observation. The tester was nice enough, he put me at ease straight away. I got all the road signs and rules of the road correct. Since it was raining, he told me he wouldnt get me to lift the bonnet, instead he asked me some questions which were fine. When he told me I had failed, he said that overall, I had done very well and that I just needed to work on my observation. (Plus he told me exactly where I had made the mistakes, so now I can be extra observant!) So overall I'm happy, as it was a positive experience and I'm delighted that I did well with the general driving, but disappointed to have been so close! I have already reapplied, so fingers crossed for the next time. Going to get plenty more practise in and hopefully next time I can improve.

Advertisement