Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

DGRulz wrote: »
    Didn't fail, didn't pass barely even sat the test. Did my questions got them all mostly right, did the engine checks all fine. Then we get to the lights, front ones are okay, back indicators are fine and then BOOM, one of my break lights is gone and they get a free €85. Sigh, back to the queue for me. Think I'll call the next attempt, attempt 3.5 :P
    Doh! A friend of mine showed up and had failed to notice that his learner permit was out of date by 2 or 3 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

zynaps wrote: »
    Doh! A friend of mine showed up and had failed to notice that his learner permit was out of date by 2 or 3 days :D

that happened to me too years ago, i was heart broken at the time, I just presumed it was in date, but 8 days out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭angelmusicgirl

So I failed this morning. My nerves and a lack of confidence got the better of me. Failed on hesitancy basically the Progress section. The tester assured me I wasnt dangerous and I just need more driving. The issue is I'm living in Dublin but can only drive at my parents home in Roscommon as I'm insured on their car and I cant afford a car in Dublin. Hoping to get a bit more experience and pass it next time. Feel deflated though!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Failed in Raheny. Admittedly, I didn't get a huge amount of practice in once I was notified of the date.

Lost marks on the reverse and turnabout despite not hitting anything or finishing up too far out from the kerb and I thought I observed enough, but obviously not. I definitely slipped up when turning left once and reaction to hazards was the other area where I lost marks. Also, clearance for stationary vehicles...

Hmm. I thought he rushed through the verbal questions a bit, apart from that it was a fair test.

Pretty sure I had your tester. I failed for clearance to stationary vehicles.
    I have my test again tomorrow. I heard the forecast is for thunderstorms? Super!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Any advice for Tallaght atm? My test is Saturday week at 11.55
    It's my first time doing one and I'm a little nervous. I know I need to go over the rules of the road... has been 2/3 years since I sat that test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

8 faults in progress, rest was a blank page :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

AvAv wrote: »
    8 faults in progress, rest was a blank page :(

I hate that I've done mine 3 times so far I'm doing it next Wednesday so hopefully it will be 4th time lucky!

I've only ever failed on progress. I have always blamed my car for slow take offs but my friend did it in my car a month ago and passed it! So can't be the car and I taught her most of the stuff my instructor taught me.

I only ever fail on progress. sigh....fingers crossed for next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Failed again on Thursday :(

Last test was in Churchtown, this one was in Rathgar, was pissed the last time as missed out by one grade 2 (observation) so i really worked on that this time, got told I look TOO MUCH in my mirrors now, so picked up some grade 2s on the hazard sections (never had the issue before).

Planning to rebook straight away, had to defer it once because of work but hope to do it as soon as possible.

See the guy that tested me at Churchtown (Gay Byrne look alike) has moved to Rathgar!

Ideally want a Sat slot so I don't need to take time off work, is this possible does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Failed for the fourth time today sigh. Thought it was going really well but he gave me four grade 2's for reaction to hazards. Said I was checking my mirrors too much. Got three other grade 2's for position on the straight and turning left and signaling turning right.

Gutted tbh cause if I had gotten one less for reaction to hazards I would have passed. Another €80 down the drain and another €80 I have to fork over, hate giving them money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sophya wrote: »
    Failed for the fourth time today sigh. Thought it was going really well but he gave me four grade 2's for reaction to hazards. Said I was checking my mirrors too much. Got three other grade 2's for position on the straight and turning left and signaling turning right.

Gutted tbh cause if I had gotten one less for reaction to hazards I would have passed. Another €80 down the drain and another €80 I have to fork over, hate giving them money

I know the money is a sickener and the wildly varying reports on your driving shows what a bizarre system it is, but keep at it. It took me seven times to pass it, but I got there in the end.
    Don't give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

Mr_Maestro wrote: »

Ah well, next time I can guarantee I wont make any mistakes like that :cool:

But If its another tester and you could be marked for not moving into box for clear green and stopping traffic behind u.. I think its that tester not you..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

I failed a few years ago for hitting an open car door. The person opened it unexpectedly. Had to exchange insurance details etc. Not ideal during a test.

Geri Male wrote: »
    I failed a few years ago for hitting an open car door. The person opened it unexpectedly. Had to exchange insurance details etc. Not ideal during a test.

Thats why a door distance rule...:D but its difficult some areas carpacked... even if somebody hit u on back i presume u fail nowadays... Ireland in more need of money... Only public there to pay Geri...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Questions and signs answered, engine checks and lights fine.

Tax, insurance and NCT all gra....ah wait a minute 'the green band is missing from the side of your insurance disc, I can't take you out.'

Driving my aul fella's car and he's been snipping the green part off for years so it'll fit in the pouch. News to him that you needed it!

That was yesterday, new disc arrived today so waiting to hear back now about a quick re-test.

€85 down the swanny for something so simple, disaster! Maybe an overseen (it's in brackets in the checklist) final check for others to heed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

just reading this thread brought back memories, took til the 2nd test to pass, but, the 1st test was off the wall. Came back from a holiday in South Africa in January to a notice saying I had a test in Ennis the next morning. No car, rang around a few places and got the loan of a driving instructors car as long as she gave me a lesson before the test. test was at 9. So extremely jetlagged did a lesson with your one on a crisp winters morning.

got in to the car with the tester who was huge easily 20/24 stone. A little corsa. His belly hung out over the side of his seat so everytime i needed to change gear i had to move some of his belly flab.

Next thing it started heavy hailstones and i couldn't find the wipers, one 0f those cars where the wiper settings were awkward, so after flicking every indicator and turning every setter they came on at high speed, which was correct, though 5 minutes later the hailstones stopped. Only thing now was i couldn't turn them off.

got back to the test centre with the wipers scraping against the glass. The windows fogged up me mans stomach in my way again. Failed but made sure the next time i had a car i was familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Failed in letterkenny today:(, the nerves got to me and when doing the hill start i somehow forgot to put the car in first gear the car rolled back about a foot:o. I got 1 green, 3 blues, and a pink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

akura wrote: »
    Failed in letterkenny today:(, the nerves got to me and when doing the hill start i somehow forgot to put the car in first gear the car rolled back about a foot:o. I got 1 green, 3 blues, and a pink

Not to worry Akura! The first test is always the worst! All you can do is learn from your mistakes, hold your nerve and practice practice practice! Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

could have been worse here was my first go..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

you probably got more but he must of ran out of pencil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

could have been worse here was my first go..... :eek:

Well the important thing is we survived! "Bart Simpson" :)

• Advertisement

Still trying, the second was a bit better 7 blue and 1 red

Any tips for taking test in Raheny guys.. I'm going to take on 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

relax and try and stay calm even if u think u made a mistake. they want to be in a car with a person they feel comfortable with. try make a bit of small talk before hand

Best of luck Xers, i did mine this morning in tallaght. answer the theory questions and signs confidently, make small chit chat about xmas or the weather as you walk to the car (helps to calm the nerves and makes you feel a bit easier), pop the bonnet show him/her the few checks,sit into your car and let them do what they do, then when he/she sits in beside you make sure your windows all around you are clear. mine had steamed up a little so when he said away we go i just said ill wait for a minute till the windows demist. then you just need to drive safely and confidently. remember you dont need to race around, just go at a nice steady pace like you had a baby/granny/case of vodka bottles on the passenger seat, make sure you see everything going on as you drive and youll sail through.

thanx guys.... i have been reading raheny threads...

When you get in the car, open the window a smidge. Believe me it gets very hot in the car during the test :P

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    When you get in the car, open the window a smidge. Believe me it gets very hot in the car during the test :P

I know it.. My first test was in finglas... tester had his side open even it was in 1st wk of february(2010 after the snow).. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Failed once again (fourth time) in Finglas. Considering going somewhere else for the next go as I don't feel I'm treated fairly in Finglas at all..

Failed once again (fourth time) in Finglas. Considering going somewhere else for the next go as I don't feel I'm treated fairly in Finglas at all..
    Have you been taking lessons and pretests from a regestered instructor? What have they said to you? If they are happy with your driving then I would apply to somewhere else (just to keep things fresh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

failed for the 3rd time today, disappointed. The only positive (and it's a big one) is that the instructor gave me detailed feedback on where I went wrong, although I was surprised to have fallen down on "progress" as did not get one mark on this area in other 2 tests. Think I was more nervous then other two times, because I really feel i deserved to pass this time, and that made me more cautious than I would normally be, although I am very safe.

Bit weird tho, although he told me that progress was my biggest problem today, which i was aware of to a certain extent, there was just loads of cyclists, grannies, and yummy mummies getting in my way, he told me that I made one big error , which i got a pink for. At rathgar, the entry/entrance gate is dreadful, just too narrow, and no visibility and straight onto busy footpath and road, anyway, at the very end of the test, he said that I approached the gate at the wrong angle, and too fast, although I had slowed down considerably.

While on the one hand this is very valuable feedback, I felt that I approached at the right angle, but he said that because visibility was reduced, I should approach the entrance at a 90 degree angle, if that makes sense? So not do a "soft curve" in, but to turn the car almost 90 degrees in the middle of the road, and then approach. It is an unusual turn alright, and he said that "loads" of people mess up on this. And I will know it for the future, but it just seems mad that the entrance/exit for the test centre is such a booby trap!

Gave me a pink for that manouver, even tho I felt i did it safely. so I asked him if I failed on that and he said no, you had loads of blues... but I had no more than 3 in any section. so a bit confused, but at least he gave me clear specific feedback, which helps for the next time, even tho it'll probably be someone else.

Hard to know if it's better or worse than the old random car park across the road in churchtown.

Might try for Tallaght next time. Living in the area was of no benefit

Advertisement