Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Which test centre did you do it in? Maybe you just didn't have enough practise. Are you still cutting out etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

10 faults? Didn't the tester tell you afterwards what all of them were or if you made the same mistake a few different times?

That was a really good attempt for five lessons and 2 months expierence.

What you should do is take your sheet and use these guideline to pick up on your faults.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/marking_guidelines.html

Whatever about tester ignoring a fault that might fail you, when they can see you deserve to pass.
    They are not going to make up faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I think that each tester has their own ways. I failed my first test by hitting a kerb going around a corner. This was after 40 minutes. I hadn't done anything else to bad before that. So on my second test, it was finished after 20 minutes. I asked the tester why so short after the lenght of time the first one was, he said that i could see you were a good driver, I had no lessons in between. So I reckon that some do go out to try and get you to fail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Recon wrote: »
    10 faults? Didn't the tester tell you afterwards what all of them were or if you made the same mistake a few different times?

the testers aren't allowed to discuss the test results with you - they just hand you a sheet which shows each section of the test and what grade marking if any you got for each section.

• Advertisement

fguihen wrote: »
    after 2 months expirience and 5 lessons, i failed my test, 10 grade 2 faults.

how much driving outside of the lessons were doing for the 2 months?

ztoical wrote: »
    the testers aren't allowed to discuss the test results with you - they just hand you a sheet which shows each section of the test and what grade marking if any you got for each section.

The first tester i had, openly discused the faults i made and where i went wrong. at least that's how it was 4years ago. Why would they not tell you?

Surley wrote: »
    I think that each tester has their own ways. I failed my first test by hitting a kerb going around a corner. This was after 40 minutes. I hadn't done anything else to bad before that. So on my second test, it was finished after 20 minutes. I asked the tester why so short after the lenght of time the first one was, he said that i could see you were a good driver, I had no lessons in between. So I reckon that some do go out to try and get you to fail!!

Hello! Do you realise how dangerous banging a tire against a kerb it. It can weaken the wall and cause a blowout sometime later.
    This happened to a friend of a friend of mine, and it pulled her under a lorry paralysing her and killing her passanger.

How can you expect someone to ignore a grade three.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When I done my first test the tester gave me 4 faults on left turns even though there were only 2 left turns. I failed outright on the reverse the corner so I didn't mind but when we were driving back into the centre he started to mark faults all over the page for no reason, I only had 3 faults in total and I was in the test centre car park and he magically found about 11 more faults to mark on the form, one of which was a grade 2 for the rules on the road which should have been marked before we went out driving. Also he had a bad attitude towards me having alloys on the car. When I rang the test centre to re book I toold them about what had happened and they gave me a retest free of charge and told me a few people had complained about a tester in that centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

after 2 months expirience and 5 lessons.....

are you serious, no wonder there are so many car accidents in Ireland, I don't think that you have had enough lessons or experience and that is why you failed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

jonny24ie wrote: »
    When I done my first test the tester gave me 4 faults on left turns even though there were only 2 left turns. I failed outright on the reverse the corner so I didn't mind but when we were driving back into the centre he started to mark faults all over the page for no reason, I only had 3 faults in total and I was in the test centre car park and he magically found about 11 more faults to mark on the form, one of which was a grade 2 for the rules on the road which should have been marked before we went out driving. Also he had a bad attitude towards me having alloys on the car. When I rang the test centre to re book I toold them about what had happened and they gave me a retest free of charge and told me a few people had complained about a tester in that centre.

wow. some aggressive tester!!

OP. 2 months driving and so few lessons dont think that will make you pass.. i think you need more. The testers are not suppose to talk to you about the grade sheets( its written on the grade sheet i think ) but you should give it to ur insturctor and he'll tell you what they're about.

About the amount of times on road,on the grade sheet is 25/45 mins. mine was about 20mins.And yes,i think it really depends on the testers impression on you. If they know you're a good driver(know all the rule of roads, good positioning, good maneoeurs , good progress ) they'll go easy on you. But if not, they'll make you on the road longer to make sure are you actually ok on the road.

Hitting the kerb is an auto fail, no way you'll pass with that

P.S. i know someone passed their test but doesnt even have their L-plates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

I failed my test the first time and when I showed the sheet to my instructor, she said that they usually stop marking faults once you've already failed.

Also when I did my test the second time there were two cases where I knew i'd made a mistake, but he didn't mark them straight away, we were nearly back at the centre before I noticed him doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

CamperMan wrote: »
    after 2 months expirience and 5 lessons.....

are you serious, no wonder there are so many car accidents in Ireland, I don't think that you have had enough lessons or experience and that is why you failed!

Not Necessarily i passed my Test after 2 Months with only 5 lessons & 3 Pretests it just takes practice practice practice! and some people pick it up better than others.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Hello! Do you realise how dangerous banging a tire against a kerb it. It can weaken the wall and cause a blowout sometime later.
    This happened to a friend of a friend of mine, and it pulled her under a lorry paralysing her and killing her passanger.

How can you expect someone to ignore a grade three.

Don't get me wrong, I knew that it was an automatic failure as soon as it happened and rightly so. But I didn't bang the tire, I drove over the kerb as I was turning left at a stop sign, therefore at a very low speed. So in my opinion the tyre wouldn't have been damaged.

Having said that I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hitting the kerb is not a grade 3, mounting it is. There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread merged with proper one!

i know someone passed their test but doesnt even have their L-plates!!
    Not required in some categories!

Surley wrote: »
    The first tester i had, openly discused the faults i made and where i went wrong. at least that's how it was 4years ago. Why would they not tell you?

Some of the tester do tell people but they aren't suppose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Failed my test in churchtown yday :(

Got 11 grade 2s, unfortunately. I failed on hazards and reversing around corners.

I waited 5 months for this test to come up had 300euro worth of lessons with <SNIP> school of motoring, to be stuck with an old guy as my instructor who barely told me if i was doing anything wrong!

but beside the point, was very upset as you can imagine. Had the bad luck to have a driver in a HUGE black lexus jeep thing storm around a bend on my side of the road, had to slam on the breaks and reverse, and as i tried to reverse car wasn't in gear properly and rolled forward eeever so slightly, so i got 3 grade twos for that in hazard reaction.

tester was lovely, but he did bring me to the BUSIEST corner EVER to reverse around, and cos people don't know that you're reversing around a corner because you never do that, they kept coming right up behind me until I couldn't move back any further and I had to signal them to move on.

also, I studied the psychology of instruction and learning, and whats the point in doing a test to not receive adequate feedback? you won't learn anything! i fail to see the point of not allowing the instructor to tell you what you have done wrong specifically? anyone enlighten me on this?

back to waiting ANOTHER 5 months for my next test... nightmare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

You may not have to wait 5 months, I failed my first test in Feb, have another in April (did not ask for cancellations or anything). Now I did not get the test centre I asked for the second time around, this is what they are doing now....you just have to go to where you are told....My first one was in Raheny, failed by one single grade 2....my next one is in Swords, while I don't know the area well I am glad to get the oppertunity again.

In my first test I stalled the car waiting at traffic lights, something I have never done before or since probably nerves, problem was I could not use my own car as a fault light came on the dashboard the night before the test......so they won't test you....I can't get the fault light off, I have spent hundreds at mechanics and it keeps popping back up, so again I will be using a different car for the test which is a real pain...the mechanic has advised there is nothing wrong with the car, it would be good if they could get a signed copy from a mechanic saying it is road worthy etc...but hey, I can't simply buy a new car...

• Advertisement

Hard luck Smiley.
    Smiley012 wrote: »
    they kept coming right up behind me until I couldn't move back any further and I had to signal them to move on
    You would also have gained a fault for that. You must never gesture to another motorist while on the test. A reversing vehicle has no right of way and must give way to all other vehicles. It's acceptable to 'thank' another motorist but never signal anyone to move on. The rules seem to have changed as it used to be an automatic failure.
    Smiley wrote:
    whats the point in doing a test to not receive adequate feedback?
    Unfortunately some people may not accept what the examiner has said and an argument may ensue. You do receive a report form though and you have the right to appeal for a retest with a different examinerif you feel that you were unfairly treated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 angrylearner

Rite decided to come on here to warn people about this so your not as stupid as I was and to find out whether this is normal or not. Just before doing my test my instructor told me to maintain a constant speed of 50km per hour on straights to avoid getting faults for "hesitancy". I like an idiot followed his advice to the tee and became obsessed with not letting my speed deviate a km either way on the speedometer on the straights. When we got back to the test centre he told me unfortunately i had failed although he thought I was an excellent driver. I got more than four feckin faults in the same category, an automatic fail (for staring at the speedometer) and the really annoying thing was I only got two other faults in the whole test. No sorry scratch that the really annoying thing was that the tester confessed to me that the whole hestitancy thing in relation to speed was a bit of a myth and its perfectly fine to drop a couple of kilometres down and you dont need to be obsessing about it. So thats a warning if anyone was gonna be as stupid as me, it's the last thing i needed with the ole lc coming up in a few weeks G'luck to all the fellow learners before the scumbags kick us off the roads in June!

Btw forgot to mention. Why the hell can't they just tell you if you make a slight mistake? My tester just sat their silently watching me make the same little mistake again and again and just on one little stupid stretch of road knowing full well I was digging my own grave. Even an unusual sounding cough would have been something I mean c'mon throw me a frickin bone! SOOOOO pissed off thinking about it. Nobody ever mentioned anything to me about looking at my speedometer before the test or anything!

the scumbags kick us off the roads in June!
    Please explain?
    Why the hell can't they just tell you if you make a slight mistake?
    Because it is an examination - not an instruction lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nobody ever mentioned anything to me about looking at my speedometer before the test or anything!

I mean come on, of all the things you must check during your test the speedo has to be the most obvious. Breaking the law is always going to fail you in a TEST, it's not the testers job to correct you, that was your instructors job, if you were never told you need to check the speedometer by your previous instructor i would seriously recommend a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Failed ! Brake light on left side failed to work this morning !!!

Checked it last night and was working fine !!!:o:mad:

Well what I meant about June is thats when the new rules come in that provisional drivers can get fined very heavily if caught driving alone. I also said to maintain a constant speed of 50 on the straights,obviously I don't mean at all times that would just be insane! maybe i was too confusing i don't know. Oh and by the way a few people did'nt even read what I said properly I never broke the speed limit and I got more than four faults for looking at my speedometer TOO MUCH not for not checking it. these faults all happened within the space of about a minute, minute and a half c'mon am I the only one who thinks thats a tad unfair, bearing in mind I only got two other faults and my instructor after the test said he'd never heard of anyone failing for this before. BTW bad luck Ciaran, how unlucky do is that

Well what I meant about June is thats when the new rules come in that provisional drivers can get fined very heavily if caught driving alone
    That sounds a lot better than referring to "scumbags" kicking you off the road!

The changes in June only affect those on a 2nd Provisional Licence/Learner Permit. Those on a 1st, 3rd and subsequent Provisional Licence/Learner Permit were always required to be accompanied (except those in A,A1,M and W).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement