Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

I stuck with the Tallaght test centre, failed twice and lucky got third time out. first test on a Sat morning in Tallaght is a dream, nobody on the roads, so if i was you id learn a few routes in Tallaght and go for there, big wide roads with nowhere faster than 50/60 kmh.

Keep the faith and get booking again straight away, youll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

+1 for tallaght. Test centre is away from the main road and like what was said above, other than the old village, you don't meet many hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Tallaght for me also. Passed my second time with zero faults. Should have passed on the try first but that doesn't matter now.
    Try get an early morning test, less cars on the road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Samgiff95

Failed in Tallaght on Monday

Was really hoping I wouldn't have to post in here but what's done is done.Will have to try again

lucozader wrote: »
    Edit: Sorry i meant female tester

I slowed down to a crawl at speed bumps.

She said I went too fast over them. That's 5 points for feckin speed bumps.

I made a total of 10 points.

I told her she was wrong about the speed bumps and she said I had to be careful as you never know how high they are going to be ? I think it was bogus.

Anybody here ever fail for speed bumps, what is the recommeded speed to go over them?

I was never told to go over them at a crawl. I was told to drop a gear and lightly press the brake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

gavmcg92 wrote: »

I was never told to go over them at a crawl. I was told to drop a gear and lightly press the brake

This^ I was told 30km is what you want to be going over most at!! In 3rd gear didn't get one mark during the test doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It depends on how big they are. If they're huge and angular you need to crawl over them, if they're small and smooth just reducing speed should be ok. There's no hard rule.

Confab wrote: »

It depends on how big they are. If they're huge and angular you need to crawl over them, if they're small and smooth just reducing speed should be ok. There's no hard rule.
    That's true. There's a few on the tallaght route that are huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I went over a bump in 4th during my pre-test with my instructor, and he took a mark off me. He said to avoid going over them in fourth, after all, they're there to slow you down. It's a habit I have now as I always reduce my speed and drop to third (or second depending on how things are on the road) and apply the brake a bit.

I went over a bump in 4th during my pre-test with my instructor, and he took a mark off me. He said to avoid going over them in fourth, after all, they're there to slow you down. It's a habit I have now as I always reduce my speed and drop to third (or second depending on how things are on the road) and apply the brake a bit.
    Yeah I'm the same. Drop down to 3rd and lightly tap the brake just before the ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

I jammed on each time I approached a ramp. Lost marks for reaction to hazards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Failed today again :(

Fourth try (second at Rathgar).

Really pissed off at myself, had to use our 'other car' that I drive i drive a bit but not often, got marked down for gears etc, without these would have just about passed:(

Was horrible weather this afternoon, got told to slow down after last test, did that and was also being careful given poor visibility and road conditions and got marked down for progress! Never had an issue with that.

Tester was shocked I was on my fourth attempt, said it was more luck than anything, wasn't sure an instructor would help, just said I should use regular car and calm down:(

Normal car won't be back able to be used until after mid Feb (needs NCT) but want to sit again (might book on waiting list) but don't want to get screwed again, not sure what to do, sick of spending €85 on tests :(

Bit embarrassing at this point, had a drivers license for 15+ years abroad and can't pass the test here!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Didnt want to post here :( Did the test this morning

Got 5 blues and 1 pink :(

I wasnt confident going into the test, i would have loved a few weeks to iron out the weak points, but I already postponed twice already so had to do it.

Think I should book straight away and keep at it, get a few more lessons give it a crack the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Didnt want to post here :( Did the test this morning

Got 5 blues and 1 pink :(

I wasnt confident going into the test, i would have loved a few weeks to iron out the weak points, but I already postponed twice already so had to do it.

Think I should book straight away and keep at it, get a few more lessons give it a crack the next time.

definitely do that redarmy, you know what the test is like now so get right back on the horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

I just failed mine today in Finglas. And then some. Nerves really got to me, I kept stalling! I NEVER stall anymore! Not too sure what to do really at this point, I've spent a fortune on lessons and pre-tests and can't really afford to keep taking the day off to do it, and my dad can't really keep taking the day off to come do it with me. I think I was a little thrown at the start when I wasn't asked to open the bonnet. Ah well, sure at least I now know what it's like though. :( Still though, I've done a bunch of pre-tests and been fine the whole way! But I got......drumroll...... 18 BLUES!!!! I know that makes it seem like I must really have only sat in the car for the first time yesterday, but unfortunately for me for every stall she gave me one each for gears, clutch and accelorator. Everything else is grand though, so if I can just get over my stupid nerves and not stall I'll be fine. Hopefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sqooka wrote: »
    I just failed mine today in Finglas. And then some. Nerves really got to me, I kept stalling! I NEVER stall anymore! Not too sure what to do really at this point, I've spent a fortune on lessons and pre-tests and can't really afford to keep taking the day off to do it, and my dad can't really keep taking the day off to come do it with me. I think I was a little thrown at the start when I wasn't asked to open the bonnet. Ah well, sure at least I now know what it's like though. :( Still though, I've done a bunch of pre-tests and been fine the whole way! But I got......drumroll...... 18 BLUES!!!! I know that makes it seem like I must really have only sat in the car for the first time yesterday, but unfortunately for me for every stall she gave me one each for gears, clutch and accelorator. Everything else is grand though, so if I can just get over my stupid nerves and not stall I'll be fine. Hopefully.

Onwards and upwards. Even people who've been driving for years have occasional stalls. The secret is, they blame the car, not themselves.:D

Apply again as soon as you can and give it another go. It's a fight you will win eventually. It might take a few goes, but you'll get there. Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

10mins out the test centre got stuck behind a council sweeper lorry, got 2 marks for driving too close behind him, then the instructor said to me 'do you not realise that he is signing you to over take him' 1st of all his indicators were covered in dirt so i could barley see them. 2nd he told me to over take him now which was on a white line road coming to the bow of the hill where it terns to a sharp corner. I failed the test because of this incident, also got a mark for over taking him :(, i got 4 marks in relation to hazards (lorry incident) and 6 in section 11 which the over taking took place. If i didn't run into the lorry i would have gotten 7/8. People in the pub say that i should challenge the instructor for a pass or another test free of charge as telling me to do a dangerous over taking on the road.

That do you's think???

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

10mins out the test centre got stuck behind a council sweeper lorry, got 2 marks for driving too close behind him, then the instructor said to me 'do you not realise that he is signing you to over take him' 1st of all his indicators were covered in dirt so i could barley see them. 2nd he told me to over take him now which was on a white line road coming to the bow of the hill where it terns to a sharp corner. I failed the test because of this incident, also got a mark for over taking him :(, i got 4 marks in relation to hazards (lorry incident) and 6 in section 11 which the over taking took place. If i didn't run into the lorry i would have gotten 7/8. People in the pub say that i should challenge the instructor for a pass or another test free of charge as telling me to do a dangerous over taking on the road.

That do you's think???

That do you's think???

Sometimes the instructor isn't always right. Don't be afraid to challange him in the car when he gives you an instruction that you know is not allowed/illegal. Tell him why you are not going to overtake etc.

As for the appeal, Not really entirely due to him telling you to overtake the council van. At the end of the day, these things are going to happen when you're out on the road by yourself and you are going to have to deal with it. Maybe bring it up with the overseeing officer and see what they have to say. Maybe look for a discount on your next test. Highly doubt that you will get it but hey, it's worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Failed today in Raheny. What's worse is that I consistently made the same mistakes so multiple marks in one or two areas. I did the reverse, turnabout and hillstart fine. Where I messed up was position on left turns and distance to parked cars. Ah well... ill get more practice in and maybe a pre test and give it a go in a few weeks if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Dord wrote: »
    Failed today in Raheny. What's worse is that I consistently made the same mistakes so multiple marks in one or two areas. I did the reverse, turnabout and hillstart fine. Where I messed up was position on left turns and distance to parked cars. Ah well... ill get more practice in and maybe a pre test and give it a go in a few weeks if I can.

Get back up on the horse. Nothing to lose. Best of luck next time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Get back up on the horse. Nothing to lose. Best of luck next time. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I think I just need to get out and get more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

First time attempting the test and failed today, Rathgar. Felt like I had driven as best I could and surprisingly handled the nerves well, and thought I had passed the test after pulling into the driving bay at the end.

Ended up with 8 grade 2s so that was okay, not more than 2 in any one section. But I got a grade 3 for 'not stopping at a stop sign' . Tester wasn't allowed to disclose where this happened which makes it worse. I DEFINITELY did not run a stop sign, so at worst I treated a stop sign as a yield sign and creeped out instead of fully stopping. Felt this was very harsh. Devastated.

I DEFINITELY did not run a stop sign, so at worst I treated a stop sign as a yield sign and creeped out instead of fully stopping. Felt this was very harsh. Devastated.

It can be anything from running the sign, stopping too early, stopping past the line or just rolling.
    I would suggest getting back on the horse and make sure you address all of the grade 2s that you were given.

It can be anything from running the sign, stopping too early, stopping past the line or just rolling.
    I would suggest getting back on the horse and make sure you address all of the grade 2s that you were given.

Yeah, I just think it's a joke that that one thing can fail me. That's the only thing I can do really.. an appeal wouldn't really work.

My grade 2s were spread all across the sheet so nothing to worry about there really. I applied for it again as soon as I got home so hopefully I get a test again soon!

Yeah, I just think it's a joke that that one thing can fail me. That's the only thing I can do really.. an appeal wouldn't really work.

My grade 2s were spread all across the sheet so nothing to worry about there really. I applied for it again as soon as I got home so hopefully I get a test again soon!

Am I correct in saying one more blue and you would have failed?

As for the mark on the stop sign. They take it extremely seriously. I was warned by my instructor about stop signs. Before churchtown closed up shop, we were practicing that route. The first thing you come to from the carpark is a stop sign. He told me time and time again that I wouldn't believe how many people have failed at that stop sign, no more than 5 minutes into their test.

You know now for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Talking to a lady that failed today .....Tester said she was driving to slow .

Doing 60 in a 80km limit .

Had 11 grade 2's and 9 is the max alllowed

Am I correct in saying one more blue and you would have failed?

As for the mark on the stop sign. They take it extremely seriously. I was warned by my instructor about stop signs. Before churchtown closed up shop, we were practicing that route. The first thing you come to from the carpark is a stop sign. He told me time and time again that I wouldn't believe how many people have failed at that stop sign, no more than 5 minutes into their test.

You know now for the future.

Ye 8 grade 2s is just about a pass. I'm fairly sure that's the stop sign I got done for alright, that's the one my instructor thought it could have been when he saw I got a grade 3 for a stop sign. But it's not like I wrecklessly ran through it, I just musn't have come to a full stop. So ANNOYING. I'm going to over exaggerate the **** out of stop signs now next time.

I'm going to over exaggerate the **** out of stop signs now next time.

It sounds stupid but these are the things you have to do. I was always told to over exaggerate my observation too. Always look in both wing mirrors before moving off, check mirrors before turning and check again, doing a full sweep before doing the reverse around a corner etc.
    At the end of the day it's a test. Just like when I was doing the LC. We were told by our teachers to "play the game". Give the examiner exactly what they want.
    Best of luck for your next test. Apply for cancelations straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Talking to a lady that failed today .....Tester said she was driving to slow .

Doing 60 in a 80km limit .

Had 11 grade 2's and 9 is the max alllowed

8 blues are the max allowed
    9 is a fail

You made 9 mark able Grade 2/3 faults in a half hour driving and possibly some greens you havn,t mentioned. Some work needed here methinks

Advertisement