Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    You made 9 mark able Grade 2/3 faults in a half hour driving and possibly some greens you havn,t mentioned. Some work needed here methinks

FYI I got 4 'greens' and 2 were for the Rules of the Road part. Were it not for the stop sign I would have passed first time. You sound like you're from the RSA ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

FYI I got 4 'greens' and 2 were for the Rules of the Road part. Were it not for the stop sign I would have passed first time. You sound like you're from the RSA ffs.

No need for the language
    So 11 driving faults in 30 mins
    So every 3 mins you're making a mistake
    You're a deadly driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Take it easy lads. The number of faults doesn't matter so long as you are below the permissible limit. However I would suggest you use this as a learning experience and try to eradicate the faults you made on your test for the next time. It sounds to me like you are well able to drive. You just need to keep the concentration up for the full test.
    Best of luck in your next test. You should get it second time no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

No need for the language
    You're a deadly driver
    Do you think putting down learner drivers has any place in this thread? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

zynaps wrote: »
    Do you think putting down learner drivers has any place in this thread? I don't.

I don't think he is putting down learner drivers. He is calling a spade a spade.

This candidate got 9 marks on their test, one of which included failing to do the correct thing at a stop sign (an immediate fail). If a licensed driver did that and the guards saw it, you would have some nice points.

Reading the post, what also makes it worse IMO is the candidate doesn't even remember running the stop sign. My test was over a year ago. I passed first time with 1 G2. I remember ever single thing I did right and wrong (and even things I felt I did wrong) in those 35 minutes.

No one ever thinks they should have failed, but the candidate was unable to drive at required standard. It's time to go back to your instructor and work on the things you got marked for.

• Advertisement

Reati wrote: »
    I don't think he is putting down learner drivers. He is calling a spade a spade.

This candidate got 9 marks on their test, one of which included failing to do the correct thing at a stop sign (an immediate fail). If a licensed driver did that and the guards saw it, you would have some nice points.

Reading the post, what also makes it worse IMO is the candidate doesn't even remember running the stop sign. My test was over a year ago. I passed first time with 1 G2. I remember ever single thing I did right and wrong (and even things I felt I did wrong) in those 35 minutes.

No one ever thinks they should have failed, but the candidate was unable to drive at required standard. It's time to go back to your instructor and work on the things you got marked for.

You obviously don't realize how harsh examiners can be when it comes to stop signs. Like I said previously, you can fail for stopping too far forward/ too far back from the stop sign or not coming to a complete stop. It's easy to not notice getting marked for this.

Also, just because you remember everything from the test doesn't mean that "EVERYONE" should. Exams are very stressful times and it is easy for them to go by in a blur.

On another point. Just because you passed your test with 1 G2 doesn't mean you are better than the rest of us who perhaps passed with more. This chap was unlucky. He will, I have no doubt, pass his next exam. He doesn't need us to tell lecture him on what he should and shouldn't do. Just park it there and forget about it.

Yes, what else did you think they were going to do?

Insulting them is not going to help anyone. If you're going to post here and criticise a learner driver who just failed their test, IMO it should be with constructive criticism, and not useless sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

gavmcg92 wrote: »

You obviously don't realize how harsh examiners can be when it comes to stop signs. Like I said previously, you can fail for stopping too far forward/ too far back from the stop sign or not coming to a complete stop. It's easy to not notice getting marked for this.

Also, just because you remember everything from the test doesn't mean that "EVERYONE" should. Exams are very stressful times and it is easy for them to go by in a blur.

On another point. Just because you passed your test with 1 G2 doesn't mean you are better than the rest of us who perhaps passed with more. This chap was unlucky. He will, I have no doubt, pass his next exam. He doesn't need us to tell lecture him on what he should and shouldn't do. Just park it there and forget about it.
    I also remember every twist and turn in my test. There's three stop signs before I even leave my estate and most times I'll be beeped for stopping by others, but during a test its an instant fail and post test its points if you're caught. You're better off focusing on proper driving, not fuming because you made a serious error.

lazygal wrote: »
    I also remember every twist and turn in my test. There's three stop signs before I even leave my estate and most times I'll be beeped for stopping by others, but during a test its an instant fail and post test its points if you're caught. You're better off focusing on proper driving, not fuming because you made a serious error.
    Imo theyre too strict when its comes to stop signs but thats just me. As for the test, I only remember some of my errors (2 of which were the testers fault ).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Imo theyre too strict when its comes to stop signs but thats just me. As for the test, I only remember some of my errors (2 of which were the testers fault ).

What do you mean too strict? The rules of the road say you come to a stop at a stop sign, at the white line, not past or before, it and slowing down isn't stopping either. If you break a rule like that in your test, you're showing a) that you don't know the rules of the road or b) you know them but don't obey them. Either way, that's a serious error.

• Advertisement

• Imagine you were driving behind someone who stopped some random distance before the stop line. Would most drivers expect this behaviour? Wouldn't you consider this bad (and unsafe) driving?
    • Imagine you were driving along and at a junction someone look like they weren't going to stop before the line or treat it like a yield. You might react in belief they are not going to stop and cause an accident.
    Stopping completely and correctly at a stop sign is a basic rule of the road. It should be marked harshly.

A key skill in driving is to be always focused on the road. While I agree you wouldn't remember every detail over a long drive, I find it hard to believe that were your focus is heightened like the driving test, you wouldn't be able to recall each move you made for 30 minutes. Getting 8 G2's and a G3 yet arriving back in the test centre thinking you had a great drive is telling...
    Just because you passed your test with 1 G2 doesn't mean you are better than the rest of us who perhaps passed with more.

While that's not what I meant (but seen as you want to make a point of it) on paper technically it does :P (Just as someone with a clean sheet first time is better than me ;))
    This chap was unlucky. He will, I have no doubt, pass his next exam. He doesn't need us to tell lecture him on what he should and shouldn't do. Just park it there and forget about it.

I wouldn't call 8 G2's and a G3 over 30mins unlucky. More power to him passing next time but don't come onto a public forum to complain about being failed for running a stop sign and then get pissy when people don't agree.
    Insulting them is not going to help anyone. If you're going to post here and criticise a learner driver who just failed their test, IMO it should be with constructive criticism, and not useless sarcasm.

Can you show me my insult or sarcasm? Facts are the candidate got 8 G2s & 1 G3. They were not of the required driving standard to pass the driving test.
    ...constructive criticism....
    • Pay attention to the signs on the road.
    • Stop in the correct position at the stop sign.
    • Come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
    go back to your instructor and work on the things you got marked for.

• Pay attention to the signs on the road.
    • Stop in the correct position at the stop sign.
    • Come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Maybe next time start with this and leave the rest at the door. Same goes for Motor ED. This is no place for ridicule.
    Like I said before. I'm leaving it there. He will have a stormer next time out. Good Luck PurpleSt4in!

Can you show me my insult or sarcasm? Facts are the candidate got 8 G2s & 1 G3. They were not of the required driving standard to pass the driving test.
    If you read my original post on the subject again (having already replied to it), you will perhaps note that I was specifically referring to Motor-Ed's statements, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

No one ever thinks they should have failed, but the candidate was unable to drive at required standard.

One stop sign is the reason I failed. Were it not for that I would have been at the 'required' standard to pass. Small margin.

I wouldn't call 8 G2's and a G3 over 30mins unlucky. More power to him passing next time but don't come onto a public forum to complain about being failed for running a stop sign and then get pissy when people don't agree.

'Running' a stop sign did not happen. Wrong use of words. MotorEd came off v condescending with his original reply, and his next response to me only confirmed it.
    No need for the language
    You're a deadly driver

Don't think this deserves a response.

If you read my original post on the subject again (having already replied to it), you will perhaps note that I was specifically referring to Motor-Ed's statements, not yours.

You quoted me, not Motor-Ed. If you were clearer perhaps I would have noted that. ;)
    One stop sign is the reason I failed.

Ability to do the right thing at any stop sign is a basic skill which you made a mistake on. You were marked accordingly and you'll know for next time. Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Did mine yesterday in Finglas, i made some stupid errors, and he got me for a grade 3 at a mini roundabout, so that and 12 grade 2's i was annoyed by 4 to 5 of them and felt i was very close to getting it, any one any views, i really thought he was strict as i was looking in direction i was turning , then back again and then only moving when looking again...I was glad i did a good drive but i feel over marked and a bit frustrated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Did mine yesterday in Finglas, i made some stupid errors, and he got me for a grade 3 at a mini roundabout, so that and 12 grade 2's i was annoyed by 4 to 5 of them and felt i was very close to getting it, any one any views, i really thought he was strict as i was looking in direction i was turning , then back again and then only moving when looking again...I was glad i did a good drive but i feel over marked and a bit frustrated....

Book it again and get back into it. You can do it! Get back into the car. I know it can be frustrating but you'll get it next time. Nerves can do a lot of harm on the day of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Book it again and get back into it. You can do it! Get back into the car. I know it can be frustrating but you'll get it next time. Nerves can do a lot of harm on the day of the test.

Thanks any advice on right and left turns, i have said it to instructor and he said i was correct

1.look in direction going
    2. quick glance to other direction
    3.slow down and before moving off look in direction you're going in again

i got some silly marks for reaction to hazards, 10mph speed bumps but for 80% of the test it was going great, i felt so anyway cheers was thinking of looking for a cancellation next time, take a few days to a week off and look for that

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Thanks any advice on right and left turns, i have said it to instructor and he said i was correct

1.look in direction going
    2. quick glance to other direction
    3.slow down and before moving off look in direction you're going in again

i got some silly marks for reaction to hazards, 10mph speed bumps but for 80% of the test it was going great, i felt so anyway cheers was thinking of looking for a cancellation next time, take a few days to a week off and look for that

What do you mean by right and left turns? Turning off the main road or onto the main road?

When driving on the main road and you wish to turn off to the left. Look in your mirrors, signal, look again while also checking your blind spots out the passenger window, make the turn and move on.

When driving on the main road and you wish to make a right turn off.Check your mirrors, indicate, move out to the middle of the road (almost to a point where your right tyre is on the middle line), make sure your way is clear (no on coming traffic or pedestrians crossing the road you wish to turn onto) and then make the turn (Look where you're driving and not the side of the road you are crossing over. You have made sure that it's clear already, no need to continue checking)

When turning left onto the main road, the main thing to remember is to try and follow the curve of the path when you're coming to a stop. Do you know the way the path curves on the corner? Follow that curve so that you're not parallel with the main road but at an angle. You want to try and be about a foot from the path. Not too close and not too far.

It's easy when you practice it over and over. It becomes second nature. Most important thing is mirrors, mirrors, mirrors.

Best of luck with your next test. Make sure to do a pretest before the exam. It's great for getting rid of a large extent of the nerves. I did horrible in the pretest with my instructor pretty much telling me that if that was the test "you would have failed by a mile. I guess the only thing you can do is chance your arm at the real thing". Later did I realize that he did that to all of his learners to try and get them to really concentrate hard, thinking that they were going to prove him wrong. He knew I was going to pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

Sigh, very unhappy today, i failed, got a grade 3, as i was doing the reverse around a corner, car came from no where and literally parked right behind me, he then beeped as i was reversing and i got the grade 3 for not noticing him in time, wasn't angry at all though, had a clean page until the reverse around corner, when i glanced down to see the grade 3, i just more or less went down hill and started to get a few grade 2s, i don't mind failing, i just think if you pay 85 euro for the test and fail, you should get it for half the price second time round.
    my tester didn't talk at all, i know most mightn't talk, but i heard from a few people they got a great friendly testers that kept talking to them, i would much prefer that, i don't like having someone in my car that didn't chat, kinda made me feel uneasy or something, as i entered the testing room at first, i did notice the tester i got; looked to be in a bad mood, everyone else was smiling except him, nevertheless, i failed and all i can do now is apply again and go for it,

• Advertisement

Sigh, very unhappy today, i failed, got a grade 3, as i was doing the reverse around a corner, car came from no where and literally parked right behind me, he then beeped as i was reversing and i got the grade 3 for not noticing him in time, wasn't angry at all though, had a clean page until the reverse around corner, when i glanced down to see the grade 3, i just more or less went down hill and started to get a few grade 2s, i don't mind failing, i just think if you pay 85 euro for the test and fail, you should get it for half the price second time round.
    my tester didn't talk at all, i know most mightn't talk, but i heard from a few people they got a great friendly testers that kept talking to them, i would much prefer that, i don't like having someone in my car that didn't chat, kinda made me feel uneasy or something, as i entered the testing room at first, i did notice the tester i got; looked to be in a bad mood, everyone else was smiling except him, nevertheless, i failed and all i can do now is apply again and go for it,

Did you do your test in Tallaght? I had a tester just like that. On the way out to the car I tried to get chatting to him but he didn't respond. When we got back after the test, he was gone before I could even turn off the engine/ take off my seat belt etc.

Some testers are like that.

As for the reverse around the corner, the best information I can give you is always check all around you when doing the move. When I was learning used to check all around and then just stare in my left wing mirror which was a completely wrong way to do it. Obviously that is the most important mirror to keep an eye on (because you don't want to clip or mount the curb - grade 3), but don't just use that one.

Also, when you hear or see a car, stop. Stop and wait for them to move. If they beep at you? Still wait. You wait until the instructor tells you otherwise. At the end of the day, you're the one doing your test. Don't let some other idiot fail your test for you.

Best of luck with your next exam. You'll get it next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

When driving on the main road and you wish to turn off to the left. Look in your mirrors, signal, look again while also checking your blind spots out the passenger window, make the turn and move on.
    :)

While you're obviously trying to be helpful be careful about giving wrong information. You do not check your blindspot when turning left this could lead to a Grade 2 fault. The sequence for turning is: MSPSL, Mirrors, Signal, Position, Speed & Look. The look part is looking into the road that you're turning into not your blindspot. This should only be checked when moving off from the side of the road or changing lane.

Also, when you hear or see a car, stop. Stop and wait for them to move. If they beep at you? Still wait. You wait until the instructor tells you otherwise. At the end of the day, you're the one doing your test. Don't let some other idiot fail your test for you.

:)

Again this is wrong information. When reversing your car you must give way to everyone else. If a car comes up behind you, get out of their way even if it means going back around the corner and starting again. If you wait for the tester (not instructor) to intervene you've probably incurred at least a Grade 2 fault or even a Grade 3.

The tester wants to see what you would do if you were driving on your own, and by blocking another vehicle while reversing, even if the other driver is being an idiot, is not the correct procedure.

edit

I found this great to help on the reverse, hoping it helps you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Failed in Wicklow, didnt think i deserved to, got 4 grade 2's for not making progress, despite doing 55 in a 60. and a few other little things, reapplied

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Failed in Wicklow, didnt think i deserved to, got 4 grade 2's for not making progress, despite doing 55 in a 60. and a few other little things, reapplied
    This is quite common. I'm going to guess it was your first attempt. You were nervous and over cautious. The marks were probably for lack of progress on smaller roads, maybe you were doing 25 when you should have been 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ADIDriving wrote: »
    This is quite common. I'm going to guess it was your first attempt. You were nervous and over cautious. The marks were probably for lack of progress on smaller roads, maybe you were doing 25 when you should have been 40?
    He cited on the straight so I dunno , was confident as well, applied again and gone on cancellation list so don't know how long il have to wait now

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Righteous_Bob

He cited on the straight so I dunno , was confident as well, applied again and gone on cancellation list so don't know how long il have to wait now

When I failed my first test a few years ago I got a few grade 2's for lack of progress on the straights. Afterwards the tester told me that there had been traffic further up the road and that because I was slightly below the speed limit I didn't catch up to them and as a result I gave the tester the impression that I wasn't confident driving in traffic. Something similar could have happened to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Hello all, new to this area of Boards :)

Failed back in January, and failed comprehensively. We're talking 10 mins out on the road before the tester asked me to turn back into the test centre. Didn't even get to demonstrate my wonderful turnabouts :(

I have no quibble with it. Most of the time I'm a competent driver but my nerves went to pieces and I was terrible. I'm booked in for Friday. Fingers crossed, I'm quite apprehensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

When I failed my first test a few years ago I got a few grade 2's for lack of progress on the straights. Afterwards the tester told me that there had been traffic further up the road and that because I was slightly below the speed limit I didn't catch up to them and as a result I gave the tester the impression that I wasn't confident driving in traffic. Something similar could have happened to you.

That's helpful and not something you'd necessarily realise yourself.

Why can't all testers give some sort of meaningful feedback?

Advertisement