Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Ok anyone want to tell me about progression on the straight-also when you do the reverse around the corner do you indicate or not when doing it?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Ok anyone want to tell me about progression on the straight-also when you do the reverse around the corner do you indicate or not when doing it?

cheers

Progress is measured as your ability to keep up with traffic within the speed limits. If you have a clear road and the limit changes up then you would be expected to move up towards the new limit.

Regarding the reverse, signalling is not required as the reverse lights are on, also the signal may cancel as you adjust steering and distract you from your manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

cheers

Hazards for the reverse? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Progress is measured as your ability to keep up with traffic within the speed limits. If you have a clear road and the limit changes up then you would be expected to move up towards the new limit.

Regarding the reverse, signalling is not required as the reverse lights are on, also the signal may cancel as you adjust steering and distract you from your manoeuvre.

My instructor told me always left signal, im guessing it doesn't really matter. i left signaled in my test and the tester seemed ok about it,

My instructor told me always left signal, im guessing it doesn't really matter. i left signaled in my test and the tester seemed ok about it,

Well as I said it's not required, if you do it's not a fault. Just outlining the fault that can occur if you use it.

• Advertisement

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Hazards for the reverse? :)

Anything and everything. The kerb, the traffic any pedestrian activity. Slow car with plenty of All round observation but particularly behind. Open the window if the weather allows as sometimes you might hear something you haven't yet noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭magic_murph

When reversing if car is approaching from behind, Stop and wait until they have passed.
    If theres any pedestrians around and potentially going to cross where your reversing - stop and wait.

Just take your time - you wont get any marks for taking your time on this move.

Use mirrors, back window, when 50% through the move look to your right to make sure no oncoming traffic etc - some instructors suggest actually stopping at this point. Personally I prefer if all is clear to just continue until finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

When reversing if car is approaching from behind, Stop and wait until they have passed.
    If theres any pedestrians around and potentially going to cross where your reversing - stop and wait.

Use mirrors, back window, when 50% through the move look to your right to make sure no oncoming traffic etc - some instructors suggest actually stopping at this point. Personally I prefer if all is clear to just continue until finished.
    would ya put on the handbreak when stopping half way through the move to look right?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

would ya put on the handbrake when stopping half way through the move to look right?

It should only take you a second or two to check, so you shouldn't put on the handbrake.

Just to expand a bit on what another said; checking the road you're reversing off over your right shoulder when about 50% done is important. Ideally you should even do it as you are beginning to turn the wheel. The reason for this is that as you are turning the car, the front will swing out a bit, and if there's a car overtaking you at this point and you didn't see it, it could cause an accident.

It's worth mentioning again that observation in general is extremely important. The reverse especially is one of the areas where you can pick up an insta fail if you miss something for a second.

They say looking out the back should be your main observation. BUT, don't forget that as you are looking out the back over your left shoulder(even when just going back in a straight line), it's very easy to miss a car which turns onto the road behind you from from the other side of the road. If they are somewhat away they may see you and stay on the right side of the road as they pull out for the overtake.

I remember one day I was practicing the reverse thinking I was great because my maneuvering was perfect. I got around the corner, reversed back a bit, and as I came to a stop and looked forward, I saw a car overtaking me which I had entirely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Only whilst on the main road. If you do this when you have turned the corner and in the minor road you should get a grade 3 fault.

You are forcing a car to overtake you in a very dangerous position.
    Fron the ROTR
    You must not overtake when
    A traffic sign or road marking prohibits it.
    You are approaching a junction.
    You are on the approach to a corner, bend, dip in the road, hump-back bridge, brow of a hill or on a narrow road.

• Advertisement

Failed again. Le sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

I failed my first test there, the tester said that I should of went down to first gear at normal junctions where there were cars parked. I was never told this in any of my lesson/pre tests. I actually drove really well on the day. Got done for this 3 times and is the reason I failed.

Should I just go first for all junctions now or what, was left very puzzled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed again. Le sigh :(

Onwards and upwards - apply again.

spurious wrote: »
    Onwards and upwards - apply again.

Thanks Spurious. At least I got out on the road this time and did good reverse around the corner and turnabout and my nerves held out. It was good for my confidence to know that I can at least drive with the tester beside me.

I hit the kerb coming out of the test centre and I knew it was over. But fair play to him, he brought me out and did the whole thing and gave very good feedback. If he told me to turn around and go back my confidence would have just been torn to pieces and I genuinely think I would have just given up on driving totally.

Third time lucky I hope!

fungie wrote: »
    I failed my first test there, the tester said that I should of went down to first gear at normal junctions where there were cars parked. I was never told this in any of my lesson/pre tests. I actually drove really well on the day. Got done for this 3 times and is the reason I failed.

Should I just go first for all junctions now or what, was left very puzzled.

First gear? Huh, I would have thought second was sufficient for yielding and turning. It's better for the car to go into second asap, isn't it?

That's strange, unless you had to come to a total stop, like if you were turning right and there were cars coming against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

First gear? Huh, I would have thought second was sufficient for yielding and turning. It's better for the car to go into second asap, isn't it?

That's strange, unless you had to come to a total stop, like if you were turning right and there were cars coming against you?

I got done on it for 2 lefts and 1 right, there was no need to go to first at all so I didnt. very frustrating.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Only whilst on the main road. If you do this when you have turned the corner and in the minor road you should get a grade 3 fault.

You are forcing a car to overtake you in a very dangerous position.
    Fron the ROTR

It's quite acceptable to pause and see what the other car will do, if they decide to go round you then that's their decision. If they stop and neither of you can progress then you must abandon the manoeuvre and pull back round corner. I think your advice above is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

It's quite acceptable to pause and see what the other car will do, if they decide to go round you then that's their decision. If they stop and neither of you can progress then you must abandon the manoeuvre and pull back round corner. I think your advice above is misleading.

Perhaps you are correct. I just did not think it was necessary to post a warning not to pull out in front of a car that may be about to overtake but to wait and ascertain their intentions.

J_R wrote: »
    Perhaps you are correct. I just did not think it was necessary to post a warning not to pull out in front of a car that may be about to overtake but to wait and ascertain their intentions.

Maybe we have two ends of the same stick.
    My reading of the post was that the driver was mid way through the manoeuvre when they stopped, if they were starting and a car was approaching then they should wait until the road is clear before starting out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have my resit test at 9.15am and can't get out of my estate due to snow.

Waiting for the call centre to open at 8am in the hope they will let me reschedule free of charge otherwise its €85 down the drain :(

Didn't sleep last night thinking about test and now may not even get to do it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have my resit test at 9.15am and can't get out of my estate due to snow.

Waiting for the call centre to open at 8am in the hope they will let me reschedule free of charge otherwise its €85 down the drain :(

Didn't sleep last night thinking about test and now may not even get to do it :(

Did you get to do it? How did it go?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

spurious wrote: »
    Did you get to do it? How did it go?

Yeah they let me cancel free of charge, gutted in a way as just wanted to get the thing out of the way :(

Yeah they let me cancel free of charge, gutted in a way as just wanted to get the thing out of the way :(

At least you're not out of pocket. Put in for a cancellation and get another date soon, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

12 Grade 2's in Navan today. Bloody annoyed at myself because 4 of those were due to me following the instructors advice and not following my instincts.

Also bloody annoyed that I have to wait 3 weeks to do a resit. What the hell is the point of that?

P_1 wrote: »
    12 Grade 2's in Navan today. Bloody annoyed at myself because 4 of those were due to me following the instructors advice and not following my instincts.

Also bloody annoyed that I have to wait 3 weeks to do a resit. What the hell is the point of that?

What was the advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What was the advice?

Gear selection for one stretch of road, lane choice for another, stopping in one point and some strange head movement for observation at a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SavageHenry

Failed yesterday in Raheny, Gutted. The tester was fair and seemed like a nice fellow, putting me at ease before the test, though I think nerves got me on the day. I got a lot of X's and at one point he was scribbling so much I thought he was writing a short story... glad I did it though and am actually looking forward to trying again.

Failed yesterday in Raheny, Gutted. The tester was fair and seemed like a nice fellow, putting me at ease before the test, though I think nerves got me on the day. I got a lot of X's and at one point he was scribbling so much I thought he was writing a short story... glad I did it though and am actually looking forward to trying again.

Good you can take the positive out of it.
    Good luck with the retest

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

Failed in raheny about 3 weeks ago, got a load of grade 2's and ended up failing because i got 4 grade 2's for overtaking safely, the tester brought me through part of a housing estate, i asked for feedback at the end of the test and he said i was to far over to the right hand side of the road, i was trying to stay a doors length away but he said it was not needed in tight areas, think i might of over compensated and that is why i failed, got a few other grade 2's also for observation on turnabout, but hey i reapplied for a cancellation yesterday so still waiting on a call, least i know what to expect this time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Failed my second test about 3 weeks ago, 7 Grade 2s and a Grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Most of my grade 2s for the second test were due to Mirrors/Observation. As such, every time I practised since then I was exaggerating my mirror-checking, blind spot checking, etc.

Today I failed for the 3rd time. 5 Grade 2s and a Grade 3 for observation changing lane (plus 3 various grade 2s for observation on the reverse, overtaking)

I am really really pissed off. I had an hour on the road with my instructor right before my test and one over the weekend too, and he said he couldn't fault my driving. I honestly have no idea HOW it is possible to observe any more than I did without keeping my main focus on the road ahead. WTF am I missing here. Everytime I had to change lane/ overtake a parked car/ move off from red light I checked both mirrors, main mirror and the blindspot when appropriate. Like WTF does the tester want me to do? My test sheet is literally just scribbles around the Observation box and nothing anywhere else.

Advertisement