Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Anyone have the same experience observation-wise? I mean I had literally three weeks of driving almost fully dedicated to my observation? I don;t like forking out money for driving tests. My instructor told me to book a driving test straight away and to give him my reference number, and that he'd get a supervisor in Rathgar to test me, because he can;t understand how I failed the last two times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

My instructor told me to book a driving test straight away and to give him my reference number, and that he'd get a supervisor in Rathgar to test me, because he can;t understand how I failed the last two times?

Have you thought about using a different instructor? Perhaps your one doesn't know / notice you're making the mistakes that are failing you.

Do you have anything more you can share on why you think you got the grade 3's for observation changing lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Like WTF does the tester want me to do? My test sheet is literally just scribbles around the Observation box and nothing anywhere else.

If going from a left lane to a right lane:

1. Check your blind spot on the passenger side (look behind the shoulder of the person sitting in the passenger seat) and make it OBVIOUS that you are looking back that far.

2. Check your side mirror on the passenger side.

3. Check your rear view mirror.

5. Check your side mirror on the drivers side of the car.

6. Check your own blind spot, over your own shoulder.

Reverse that if you are going right to left.

If you do all that, you'll pass no problem. If you are failing in observations each time, you may have an instructor who is not being strict enough with you on what you should be doing when it comes to observations. Or you are simply not making it obvious enough, that you are actually taking in what you see.

Moving your head in a 180 degree rotation is not enough. You have to do it in such a way and for a certain duration, that gives the impression that you are actually observing what you are seeing, and are making judgments what to do, based upon what you see. Observing is not the same thing as simply seeing something. If you are failing on the same thing, I'd question your instructors ability to both get that point across to you, and to get you to apply it as you drive, in a way that a tester can actually observe for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Reati wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a different instructor? Perhaps your one doesn't know / notice you're making the mistakes that are failing you.

Do you have anything more you can share on why you think you got the grade 3's for observation changing lane?

1. Basically all my marks were observation related. Grade 2 (x2) observation moving off, Grade 2 observation doing the reverse, Grade 3 observation changing lane. I had another observation related Grade 2 as well.

2. This was the main problem I had in my second test, where I failed with a Grade 3 observation changing lane, so I was 100% concentrating on my observations during the test. For the life of me, I don't know where the Grade 3 came from because of this.

ProudDUB wrote: »

1. Check your blind spot on the passenger side (look behind the shoulder of the person sitting in the passenger seat) and make it OBVIOUS that you are looking back that far.

If you do all that, you'll pass no problem. If you are failing in observations each time, you may have an instructor who is not being strict enough with you on what you should be doing when it comes to observations. Or you are simply not making it obvious enough, that you are actually taking in what you see.

Moving your head in a 180 degree rotation is not enough. You have to do it in such a way and for a certain duration, that gives the impression that you are actually observing what you are seeing, and are making judgments what to do, based upon what you see. Observing is not the same thing as simply seeing something. If you are failing on the same thing, I'd question your instructors ability to both get that point across to you, and to get you to apply it as you drive, in a way that a tester can actually observe for himself.

Check, check, check, check, check. I did all of this. I mean fair enough in the second test my observations were below par, but today I really really focused on getting it right because I knew it was my one weak point.

Thank you both for your replies! I was wondering if anyone else has ever picked up a Grade 3 for observation changing lanes?

If anything the driving test has absolutely rattled me now, and doubting myself. Final college exams approaching in about a month. I needed to get this passed today and out of the way. Such a feeling of unparalleled dejection when I sat down after the test and saw the Grade 3 on the sheet. Almost reduced to tears... manly tears.

When I pass the test I'm going to kiss everyone in the testing center, pop a bottle of champagne right there and I am celebrating so motherfcukin hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Are you saying I would need to check my left side blind spot if changing a lane to the right?

The only time I know that you need to do the 6 point observation is for when you're moving off and during the pre set moves like reversing and the turn about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Failed my second test about 3 weeks ago, 7 Grade 2s and a Grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Most of my grade 2s for the second test were due to Mirrors/Observation. As such, every time I practised since then I was exaggerating my mirror-checking, blind spot checking, etc.

Today I failed for the 3rd time. 5 Grade 2s and a Grade 3 for observation changing lane (plus 3 various grade 2s for observation on the reverse, overtaking)

I am really really pissed off. I had an hour on the road with my instructor right before my test and one over the weekend too, and he said he couldn't fault my driving. I honestly have no idea HOW it is possible to observe any more than I did without keeping my main focus on the road ahead. WTF am I missing here. Everytime I had to change lane/ overtake a parked car/ move off from red light I checked both mirrors, main mirror and the blindspot when appropriate. Like WTF does the tester want me to do? My test sheet is literally just scribbles around the Observation box and nothing anywhere else.

Hi,

After the cockpit checks and just prior to moving off the examiner says
    "Now, you should drive in your normal manner. I will tell you in good time when to turn left or right, otherwise you follow the course of the road. If you have any doubts about my directions ask me to repeat or clarify them. You may start when you are ready"

This is the very best advise you ever get. You drive as if the examiner was not present. You do absolutely nothing for his benefit. You do not exaggerate any mirror or observation check in any manner or way whatsoever.

Two main reasons.

1. when you forget and do not perform a necessary check it is blatantly obvious. An examiner can only mark if he is 100% certain and

2. It can be very annoying.

Re blind spot checks. There are two types. One where you are stationary and it is an away back look and the second when you are moving, changing position on the road when a quick shoulder check is sufficient. And only necessary to check in the direction you are moving. It is hazardous to look away back as you are driving.

Markings received in the test on mirror and obs checks should not be a mystery to any competent driving instructor.

My advice would be to try another instructor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Been having similar problems at Rathgar, what makes it worse is at the end the tester says 'I can see you can drive Ok but I can't pass you today' :(

Failed for not observing enough, then failed again for exaggerating thus missing some other stuff.

Have been driving over 20 years, can't get a manual license with a straight swap so have to do the whole thing all over again. I accept I have bad habits from over the years that are part of the problem (that I'm trying to break) but it's still very fustrating as I keep missing by one or two grade twos (observation, gear change and bloody riding the clutch).

Makes it worse especially when you see bad drivers on the road left, right and centre (not using indicators, in the wrong lane etc).

Am on to my third instructor now, the guy says im doing things the first two never commented on so am confident/hoping this guy can get me through once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Failed for the third time today. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Completely fecked up the reverse, so annoyed with myself.

I don't have a car and can't get insured on one (parents don't drive) and the tester basically told me I won't pass unless I get more practice outside my instructor's car. I'm beyond frustrated it feels like Groundhog Day!!!!!!

No marks for observation or signals, all for pedals essentially. I did a TERRIBLE lesson before the test, basically broke down in tears 15 mins beforehand. I go really heavy on the pedals when I'm nervous. I can drive the 25 min spin to the test centre on a main road so smoothly, and then I get to the town and freak out. I think it's all psychological at this stage. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid this sort of freak out I'd be so grateful. I'm so fed up of giving my instructor and the RSA money I can ill afford!!!!

Sorry for rant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

ivytwine wrote: »
    Failed for the third time today. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Completely fecked up the reverse, so annoyed with myself.

I don't have a car and can't get insured on one (parents don't drive) and the tester basically told me I won't pass unless I get more practice outside my instructor's car. I'm beyond frustrated it feels like Groundhog Day!!!!!!

No marks for observation or signals, all for pedals essentially. I did a TERRIBLE lesson before the test, basically broke down in tears 15 mins beforehand. I go really heavy on the pedals when I'm nervous. I can drive the 25 min spin to the test centre on a main road so smoothly, and then I get to the town and freak out. I think it's all psychological at this stage. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid this sort of freak out I'd be so grateful. I'm so fed up of giving my instructor and the RSA money I can ill afford!!!!

Sorry for rant! :)

There is noting much else I can say or anyone else can say that you already haven't heard. The usual "Better luck next time" etc.

What I can say is this, you need to find a car or somebody with a car to learn how to drive correctly. Driving is all about experience. I passed my test two years ago and I'm still learning every day. Don't mean to further dampen your mood but it is the only way you can get good experience and pass your test.

Where have you been doing your test ? Perhaps starting fresh in a new area might take some pressure of you.

Mr_Maestro wrote: »
    There is noting much else I can say or anyone else can say that you already haven't heard. The usual "Better luck next time" etc.

What I can say is this, you need to find a car or somebody with a car to learn how to drive correctly. Driving is all about experience. I passed my test two years ago and I'm still learning every day. Don't mean to further dampen your mood but it is the only way you can get good experience and pass your test.

Where have you been doing your test ? Perhaps starting fresh in a new area might take some pressure of you.

Thanks for the reply Mr Maestro. It's Mallow, my other option is Newcastlewest, but I don't know NCW at all. Also it's too awkward to get to be public transport and my tester can't always get me at home. I know Mallow really well at this stage. I have to say the tester I had today was the same guy I had a mental breakdown in front of during my first test so I wouldn't mind not seeing him again.

My neighbour has basically a spare car and is on about getting it insured but I dunno if that will happen. Only one of my friends at home drives, she's on a provisional and her insurance is huge as it is. Some of my college friends drive and have their own car, but we're all over the country and abroad now college is finished. So yeah. I can hardly afford lessons not a mind a car.

The thing that pisses me off most that I can drive well in lessons and up and down to mallow. Yes I'd make mistakes but nothing huge, but then the day of the test comes and I go to pieces. It really is just a mental block, not helped by lack of experience. :/ feel like forgetting the whole thing, am thinking of going abroad in sept so might just forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Thanks for the reply Mr Maestro. It's Mallow, my other option is Newcastlewest, but I don't know NCW at all. Also it's too awkward to get to be public transport and my tester can't always get me at home. I know Mallow really well at this stage. I have to say the tester I had today was the same guy I had a mental breakdown in front of during my first test so I wouldn't mind not seeing him again.

My neighbour has basically a spare car and is on about getting it insured but I dunno if that will happen. Only one of my friends at home drives, she's on a provisional and her insurance is huge as it is. Some of my college friends drive and have their own car, but we're all over the country and abroad now college is finished. So yeah. I can hardly afford lessons not a mind a car.

The thing that pisses me off most that I can drive well in lessons and up and down to mallow. Yes I'd make mistakes but nothing huge, but then the day of the test comes and I go to pieces. It really is just a mental block, not helped by lack of experience. :/ feel like forgetting the whole thing, am thinking of going abroad in sept so might just forget about it.

Regardless, you shouldn't give up. When you get the license, that's it, no more driving tests and no more worrying about passing your test. Then you can really start to enjoy driving without the pressure involved.

So don't give up and keep trying to find a way to drive more often. You'll be zipping around the place in no time !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree that getting your hands on a car to practice in is key. I'd forget about getting insured on a car that is owned by your college friends, or that is being driven by another learner. The costs of having two learners, under the age of 25, on the same policy would be astronomical.

Do you have any older relations that you could offer to barter service for their adding you on to their policy? For example, could you offer to baby sit their kids, or do farm work for them, or work part time in their business for free, stuff like that. Offer the same deal to your neighbour with the spare car. Offer to keep on doing whatever it is even after you have passed your test.

These people would be doing you a huge, huge service. It may take sweetening the pot to motivate them to make the leap of faith to do it. Also, you do know that until you pass your test, you can not drive by yourself? As you'll need another qualified to go with you when you go practicing your driving, you may need to get creative coming up with them too. Best of luck to you !

I agree that getting your hands on a car to practice in is key. I'd forget about getting insured on a car that is owned by your college friends, or that is being driven by another learner. The costs of having two learners, under the age of 25, on the same policy would be astronomical.

Do you have any older relations that you could offer to barter service for their adding you on to their policy? For example, could you offer to baby sit their kids, or do farm work for them, or work part time in their business for free, stuff like that. Offer the same deal to your neighbour with the spare car. Offer to keep on doing whatever it is even after you have passed your test.

These people would be doing you a huge, huge service. It may take sweetening the pot to motivate them to make the leap of faith to do it. Also, you do know that until you pass your test, you can not drive by yourself? As you'll need another qualified to go with you when you go practicing your driving, you may need to get creative coming up with them too. Best of luck to you !

Thanks for the reply Proud Dub, well I can safely forget farm work, live in a town and am a very physically small woman, so don't think I'd be much use! We'd already let the neighbour graze his animals in our garden so that'd be something. Thanks for the advice tho- I'll rack my brains to think of someone I can help out.
    As I said earlier I might be moving away in September, and I could really do without the financial black hole that is lessons. I don't really want to give up as I'm *nearly* there, but things will be tight financially as it is as I only have part-time work at the min. So it comes down to driving vs living abroad again. I wanted to learn around four years ago but had to save for my study abroad. I started in 2011 so I really thought I'd have it cracked at this stage. :(
    I may ask my instructor about NCW, it is supposed to be easier there and maybe I just have a mental block about Mallow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

re : If going from a left lane to a right lane:

^^^ thats ridiculous - if you are turning or changing to right - you do not look over the passenger window / shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

alphabeat wrote: »
    re : If going from a left lane to a right lane:

^^^ thats ridiculous - if you are turning or changing to right - you do not look over the passenger window / shoulder

Yip
    Some of the ADVICE on here is just plain dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Sad to posting in here again, did it yesterday around 4pm in Tallaght.

Absolutely brutal time to do it, schools out, people finishing work, people out and about because of the sun.
    Two instructors said I had a great chance of passing and I felt more confident this time than the last time and did worse by the markings.

Got the same fella as last time. Last time he gave me 5 blues and a pink let me down.

This time he marked me down loads for reacting to hazards, even though I thought I handled them well. Yesterday I thought it was a good drive.

Oh the new sheets after the test are a load of my a**e, they dont tell you anything. You should be able to bring the sheet out to your driving instructor to show them, but instead they send it out in the post :S

Sad to posting in here again, did it yesterday around 4pm in Tallaght.

Absolutely brutal time to do it, schools out, people finishing work, people out and about because of the sun.
    Two instructors said I had a great chance of passing and I felt more confident this time than the last time and did worse by the markings.

Got the same fella as last time. Last time he gave me 5 blues and a pink let me down.

This time he marked me down loads for reacting to hazards, even though I thought I handled them well. Yesterday I thought it was a good drive.

Oh the new sheets after the test are a load of my a**e, they dont tell you anything. You should be able to bring the sheet out to your driving instructor to show them, but instead they send it out in the post :S
    Really? I got to bring my sheet out? He gave me verbal feedback as well :/

You have my sympathies, such a horrible feeling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Really? I got to bring my sheet out? He gave me verbal feedback as well :/

You have my sympathies, such a horrible feeling :(

Was this Tallaght mate?

Today I'm even more pissed off with it, they emailed me the full result

Observation-Turning left 1 Blue
    Progress-Turning right 2 Blue
    Progress-Overtaking 2 Blue
    React/Anticipate-React to hazards 4 Blue
    Turnabout-Observation 1 Blue

So i got 10 blues and 4 of them were for hazards. I thought I handled them well enough, even stopping to let some dope who was in a filter box to turn right, then changing her mind and going straight. Ah well, I think ill apply straight away. Give it another go.

Thanks Ivytwine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Messed up for a second in my test and failed. I'm frozen. Everything that I was getting wrong went right. Anyone know what I can do now? I need the licence to get to my summer job in a fortnight. I booked again online after ringing the RSA. They said something about a 3 week wait. Anyone know?

Was this Tallaght mate?

Today I'm even more pissed off with it, they emailed me the full result

Observation-Turning left 1 Blue
    Progress-Turning right 2 Blue
    Progress-Overtaking 2 Blue
    React/Anticipate-React to hazards 4 Blue
    Turnabout-Observation 1 Blue

So i got 10 blues and 4 of them were for hazards. I thought I handled them well enough, even stopping to let some dope who was in a filter box to turn right, then changing her mind and going straight. Ah well, I think ill apply straight away. Give it another go.

Thanks Ivytwine

No it was in Co Cork. Maybe this new email thing is something they're gonna roll out across the country. If it is I must say I don't think much of it. Bad enough feeling on the day itself without dragging it out with an email.

Good luck with giving it another go redarmy. I haven't sat behind the wheel since the end of May when I failed and I still don't want to. The test has actually totally turned me off driving. My provisional's out now so have to renew it, have no desire to do that either, ugh. Best of luck to you hope you get it next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Failed, 1st time in Finglas. Test went fine aside from the marks for hesitancy turning left and right, probably slightly over cautious but drove as I would normally, just need to be little more assertive coming to junctions I guess - lot of them were blind so slowed right down.

Also my car randomly decided to turn itself off while stopped at a junction. Threw me a little bit as well.

Also really dislike the new format, at least the ticky boxes sheet was clear and easy to understand. I found the sheet you take away and the email you get a lot more vague.

Talked to my ADI, said the nerves probably got me and just reapply and try again.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Failed, 1st time in Finglas. Test went fine aside from the marks for hesitancy turning left and right, probably slightly over cautious but drove as I would normally, just need to be little more assertive coming to junctions I guess - lot of them were blind so slowed right down.

Also my car randomly decided to turn itself off while stopped at a junction. Threw me a little bit as well.

Also really dislike the new format, at least the ticky boxes sheet was clear and easy to understand. I found the sheet you take away and the email you get a lot more vague.

Talked to my ADI, said the nerves probably got me and just reapply and try again.
    Unlucky. Nerves got to me on Monday when I had my test. Completely got caught up in the whole make progress scaremongering people go on about that I messed up even though with my ADI and in general driving I always make good progress. Nerves and adrenaline made me rush and ultimately fail by rushing. Expensive €85 lesson telling me to chill.

Although since my test I've taken my car keys off my key ring and have been completely turned off driving now. Am trying to get a retest ASAP so I dont forget the basics or just stop driving altogether but dont know the system well enough to get a test soon. Ive a Summer job starting soon and I'm gutted I dont have a full licence for it.

Got the feedback sheet too which doesn't really tell you how many or how big the type of mistakes I was making. Still no email. Hopefully we can both have better luck next time :)

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Unlucky. Nerves got to me on Monday when I had my test. Completely got caught up in the whole make progress scaremongering people go on about that I messed up even though with my ADI and in general driving I always make good progress. Nerves and adrenaline made me rush and ultimately fail by rushing. Expensive €85 lesson telling me to chill.

Although since my test I've taken my car keys off my key ring and have been completely turned off driving now. Am trying to get a retest ASAP so I dont forget the basics or just stop driving altogether but dont know the system well enough to get a test soon. Ive a Summer job starting soon and I'm gutted I dont have a full licence for it.

Got the feedback sheet too which doesn't really tell you how many or how big the type of mistakes I was making. Still no email. Hopefully we can both have better luck next time :)

To be honest, I thought I'd be more upset about failing than I actually am. It hasn't put me off driving a bit, guess that's because I know I drive better than the way he marked me. Tester admitted himself that the "gremlins" in the car got me, am pretty positive that once it turned itself off that was game over from his point of view. Ah well, car shopping for me I guess :D (Really doesn't help that I was convinced I'd broken the handbrake cable yesterday - tis difficult to do a test in a car you really aren't confident will decide to behave itself :P)

I know how you feel, I'm hoping to start a new job outside Dublin soon and could really do with passing it. But sure what can you do except try again? I reapplied online there and put my name on the cancellation list, think it's at least a three week wait and then after that it's ringing up a few times to get the rsa to schedule it in.

Next time we'll hopefully have all the luck and no nerves :)

To be honest, I thought I'd be more upset about failing than I actually am. It hasn't put me off driving a bit, guess that's because I know I drive better than the way he marked me. Tester admitted himself that the "gremlins" in the car got me, am pretty positive that once it turned itself off that was game over from his point of view. Ah well, car shopping for me I guess :D (Really doesn't help that I was convinced I'd broken the handbrake cable yesterday - tis difficult to do a test in a car you really aren't confident will decide to behave itself :P)

I know how you feel, I'm hoping to start a new job outside Dublin soon and could really do with passing it. But sure what can you do except try again? I reapplied online there and put my name on the cancellation list, think it's at least a three week wait and then after that it's ringing up a few times to get the rsa to schedule it in.

Next time we'll hopefully have all the luck and no nerves :)
    Im rightly pissed off when I think of all the effort and lessons I put in the to blow it so unnecessarily. Tester even gasped/sighed when I made my fatal mistake. Booked again for a cancellation. Rang up an hour later and got my 3 week wait down to 2 so I plan on ringing again and getting it reduced again tomorrow :). Push my luck and I might get a date in the next week or two. Ring and ring and if necessary a letter from the prospective employer, but I dont think that helps much anymore. I'd literally take a cancellation with 20 minutes notice. I need the world to know I am capable of passing this flimsy test! And luckily you only have to pass it once in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

So I failed today for a second time in Naas. I had a great pretest with my instructor and I was quietly confident going in. I knew all the questions and road signs and I was out the test center with not issues.

The tester took me down some really narrow streets which I handled fine. Did my reverse around the corner flawlessly and I only saw him mark the sheet once.

Then it all went downhill. I was stopped at a T junction about to turn right. the road on my right side rose slightly to a hump which limited my visibility but I had plenty of time to see oncoming traffic. I made my observations and committed to go. Id just had my front wheels past the line when a car came flying over the hump doing way over 50. I had to slam on harshly - i knew i had failed.

After that my mind was racing. I saw him mark the grade 3 and sort of lost interest.

All in all i got 10 grade 2's. 3 of them I could of easily avoided if I had been paying attention. (I forgot to take off my left indicator when stopping for my hill start and left it on when moving off. And I hit 2 potholes.)

I think there is an element of luck involved in the test. Some idiot cost me 85quid and a few more weeks waiting.

Is there a way to reduce waiting times when applying for a resit?

Phenoxan wrote: »
    So I failed today for a second time in Naas. I had a great pretest with my instructor and I was quietly confident going in. I knew all the questions and road signs and I was out the test center with not issues.

The tester took me down some really narrow streets which I handled fine. Did my reverse around the corner flawlessly and I only saw him mark the sheet once.

Then it all went downhill. I was stopped at a T junction about to turn right. the road on my right side rose slightly to a hump which limited my visibility but I had plenty of time to see oncoming traffic. I made my observations and committed to go. Id just had my front wheels past the line when a car came flying over the hump doing way over 50. I had to slam on harshly - i knew i had failed.

After that my mind was racing. I saw him mark the grade 3 and sort of lost interest.

All in all i got 10 grade 2's. 3 of them I could of easily avoided if I had been paying attention. (I forgot to take off my left indicator when stopping for my hill start and left it on when moving off. And I hit 2 potholes.)

I think there is an element of luck involved in the test. Some idiot cost me 85quid and a few more weeks waiting.

I feel for ya. Similar thing happened to me taking a right turn with a car bombing around a left turn down the street . I was already crossing the road but the guy marked me down for right of way. Even though I was well gone by the time that guy would have reached the entrance I was coming out of. Not sure if it was a grade two or three. He has this stupid tablet yoke and the sun had it glared.

Depressing stuff when you know you drive way safer and better than most fully qualified drivers on a daily basis.

As for speeding up the retest. Im not too sure. Anyone else who reads this thread know? I rang up after booking and they told me it was a three week wait but told me to ring back in 2 weeks and theyd give me a date. Thats what I took from it anyway. Going to ring up later and see if their are any fast test spots or short notification spots I can have. Their websites says they accommodate you if you have a prospective job. Which I recently got so I hope they give me one sooner.

Yeah as far as I was aware the three week wait thing was implemented to give you time to fix your mistakes.

Saying that I know a guy years ago, who failed on a Monday and resat Tuesday without changing anything and passed - goes to show you that no matter what people say there's a certain element of luck and subjectivity to the marking in the test.

Sucks to hear about both ye failing due to the silly actions of other people :( As my mam always said though "When you see what's out there with full licenses, you tend to not feel as bad about your own driving" :)

Yeah as far as I was aware the three week wait thing was implemented to give you time to fix your mistakes.

Saying that I know a guy years ago, who failed on a Monday and resat Tuesday without changing anything and passed - goes to show you that no matter what people say there's a certain element of luck and subjectivity to the marking in the test.

Sucks to hear about both ye failing due to the silly actions of other people :( As my mam always said though "When you see what's out there with full licenses, you tend to not feel as bad about your own driving" :)

We should all of been given our licence for having in date tax, working break lights and using mirrors and blindspots :). Ive asked my mechanic where his blindspots are and he didnt know or my nan who got her licence in the post office who never uses her mirrors EVER. The test is more a formality than an actual assessment of a driver. More a snapshot of the perfect drive everyone most produce once but never again.

Pure joke how at €85 they put time restrictions. Should get a test within a week with the money we pay. We are paying for all those cringey "we know youve got a full licence this is how to use your mirrors and roundabouts" ads. I would love to see the breakdown how they spend our money. 1 hr test for €85 and still have a waiting list of 10 weeks if your not pushed.

Tester and ADI told me to reapply straight away. I dont see why the RSA feels I need two weeks to iron out a silly mistake. I'd say the 6 month wait and the further delays when you fail is to make the waiting time look alot shorter than it really is. Grr!

Ill die on the inside if I end up with an R plate for 2 years. Just not fair!

EDIT:Im determined to get an early test. Im getting my employer letter ready and Im getting onto my ADI for the best way to approach this :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Phenoxan wrote: »

Ring them and tell them you'll take a cancellation and give a number of centres you're willing to consider.

• Advertisement

I called up with my reference number from booking and got a test in 20 days time. Not ideal but Ill phone everyday looking for an earlier spot. More pretests between now. Only did one for my last test :o. I will cover every test route :pac:....

....if I fail again heads will roll.:mad:

....but I will not! No R-plates for moi!

Advertisement