Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Rang up again. Test in 10 days time now at a good time :)

Got my driving test report today. All I can say is Im disgusted. I failed for something I thought was a Grade 2 but he marked as a Grade 3. The Grade 3s I thought I got were really Grade 2's. I lost the test due to how I handled being behind a bus. I stayed too close marked for inappropriate speed in traffic. Got marked for reaction hazards for stopping to near to it when it pulled into a bus stop at the side of the road. And my Grade 3 was for overtaking it. Meh! Ill pass :mad:next time. If just if I had just left the centre 10 seconds later Id have been ahead of the bus and have passed

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Phenoxan wrote: »
    I was stopped at a T junction about to turn right. the road on my right side rose slightly to a hump which limited my visibility

Do you mind me asking what road that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mentalist101

Just failed for the Third time in Finglas, Its always something different. First got four marks on reaction to hazard, next was observation turning right and next was four grade 2's on observation turning left.

Feeling discouraged at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Failed my test yesterday...got 13 Grade 2s and 1 pink for entering a yellow box at lights!!! Didnt see it at approach I spotted when I had stopped and thought oh no:eek:!!! 1st time to do it the tester was nice it was a good experience will work on my faults, will get it next time p.g. I apllied again yesterday got no date I rang up the RSA apparently my file has been locked for 3 weeks- Does anyone know when I can do the test again? I rang today and was told the average wait is 10 weeks thats way to long I was thinking of going on the cancellation list but with work I doubt it would suit. Any ideas?

Failed my test yesterday...got 13 Grade 2s and 1 pink for entering a yellow box at lights!!! Didnt see it at approach I spotted when I had stopped and thought oh no:eek:!!! 1st time to do it the tester was nice it was a good experience will work on my faults, will get it next time p.g. I apllied again yesterday got no date I rang up the RSA apparently my file has been locked for 3 weeks- Does anyone know when I can do the test again? I rang today and was told the average wait is 10 weeks thats way to long I was thinking of going on the cancellation list but with work I doubt it would suit. Any ideas?
    I'm in Cork where the waiting list is ten weeks. Failed my test on the 10th and have me re-test on the 25th.

Book your test. Get the reference code sent on your confirmation email. Ring up with this code. Ask for any cancellations available. They will read out a list of dates if available.

You may like I did get someone who will blab on about 3 weeks wait. But as you can see from my date I didn't wait three weeks before they "reopened" my file. If it happens ring up the next day. If possible don't mention that you failed a test recently.

• Advertisement

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I'm in Cork where the waiting list is ten weeks. Failed my test on the 10th and have me re-test on the 25th.

Book your test. Get the reference code sent on your confirmation email. Ring up with this code. Ask for any cancellations available. They will read out a list of dates if available.

You may like I did get someone who will blab on about 3 weeks wait. But as you can see from my date I didn't wait three weeks before they "reopened" my file. If it happens ring up the next day. If possible don't mention that you failed a test recently.
    Thanks for reply, ya I emailed an explained my situation they emailed back I was on the cancelation list
    that kind of paniced me I emailed back saying to give me sum notice before hand we will see what happens

Thanks for reply, ya I emailed an explained my situation they emailed back I was on the cancelation list
    that kind of paniced me I emailed back saying to give me sum notice before hand we will see what happens
    If you ring up you should be able to chose a time in the coming month and as far away from today as would suit you.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    If you ring up you should be able to chose a time in the coming month and as far away from today as would suit you.
    Ya will do that 2morow hope some one helpful answers the phone!!
    Thanks 4 your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Failed mine yesterday.

I've never drove in that sort of Rain, could barely see out the windows with my wipers on the quickest setting :(. I was soaked after doing the bonnet/wheel checks in the lashing rain. It assisted in me getting a pink whilst in a really dodgy (and small) 4 exit busy town roundabout. Didn't realise until I was nearly off it that a lorry had already sped onto the roundabout from my right :(.

Booking the retest soon, hopefully in more calmer settings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

shootie wrote: »
    Failed mine yesterday.

I've never drove in that sort of Rain, could barely see out the windows with my wipers on the quickest setting :(. I was soaked after doing the bonnet/wheel checks in the lashing rain. It assisted in me getting a pink whilst in a really dodgy (and small) 4 exit busy town roundabout. Didn't realise until I was nearly off it that a lorry had already sped onto the roundabout from my right :(.

Booking the retest soon, hopefully in more calmer settings.

Onwards and upwards. Next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just Failed mine first time in Tallaght :( 9 Grade 2's and a Grade 3 turning left.
    I had the feeling I failed on something else but didn't.

One thing that annoyed me was there was a que of tests going on in the same place i.e. we came to do my reverse around the corner, while the guy that left the centre just before me was still doing his and a girl who left after me was waiting in front of me to do the same all on the same corner. That also happened on the turnabout all at the same road only a few meters apart, and for pretty much the whole test. Then the 3 of us got suck behind a truck doing reversing around a corner doing his test as well.
    I just feel like that is silly there is loads of routes and places for the things to be done, but 3 testers all doing it at the same time in the same place is lazy and silly. I know one of the others failed not sure about the other.

For cancellations do I ring or apply online??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Just Failed mine first time in Tallaght :( 9 Grade 2's and a Grade 3 turning left.
    I had the feeling I failed on something else but didn't.

One thing that annoyed me was there was a que of tests going on in the same place i.e. we came to do my reverse around the corner, while the guy that left the centre just before me was still doing his and a girl who left after me was waiting in front of me to do the same all on the same corner. That also happened on the turnabout all at the same road only a few meters apart, and for pretty much the whole test. Then the 3 of us got suck behind a truck doing reversing around a corner doing his test as well.
    I just feel like that is silly there is loads of routes and places for the things to be done, but 3 testers all doing it at the same time in the same place is lazy and silly. I know one of the others failed not sure about the other.

For cancellations do I ring or apply online??

Give them a ring I found them very helpful. Sorry to hear you failed Richie, it's pretty ****e to think they're making everyone do the same route! Next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I did my test 3 years ago, had crazy twitching in my legs, total rabbits foot. I took those Kalms tablets throughout the day, there herbal. Had no nerves throughout the test, did it in Wicklow, aced that focker. So if it's your nerves getting to you then munch on those bad boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 airurando

Rant rant rant, raging that I failed today. Passed pre-tests in my last three driving lessons, including this morning, then I get a grade 1 on the test and it's an instant fail. :-(

Was coming up a narrow street, indicated to overtake a parked car, but a car was heading my way. I paused, he waited about 20m on, after about 10 seconds I pulled out and slipped passed him. I can see that I got the right-of-way wrong, but I'm a little annoyed that that was a grade 1.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You mean a grade 3? Grade 1's don't count for anything. What fault was it marked under?

Did you flash your lights to beckon him on? I wouldn't have sat there for 10 seconds without having attempted to signal him. If he didn't move after being flashed then at least the tester knows you've given him the opportunity and you have to proceed to avoid blocking the road.

Blay wrote: »
    You mean a grade 3? Grade 1's don't count for anything. What fault was it marked under?

Did you flash your lights to beckon him on? I wouldn't have sat there for 10 seconds without having attempted to signal him. If he didn't move after being flashed then at least the tester knows you've given him the opportunity and you have to proceed to avoid blocking the road.

How does that work in the test? Is flashing another car, whilst a common sign of courtesy and used a lot on the roads, not technically against the rules of the road?

Seems like a lose/lose situation?

How does that work in the test? Is flashing another car, whilst a common sign of courtesy and used a lot on the roads, not technically against the rules of the road?

Seems like a lose/lose situation?

There's a fault box for beckoning others on the test sheet so you could be marked for doing it but better a 2 for that than squeezing past the opposing car and getting a 3 for failure to give clearance or such. I would hope the tester would see the bind you're in and excuse a flash of the lights if some knob won't move into the gap and you've traffic forming behind you.

There's 3 options..sit, squeeze past or flash, sit is the safest but they could mark you for progress or such depending on how they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Ugh failed again yesterday 5 blues and 2 pinks for observation at junction.

So close, head is wrecked though. Tester gave good advise afterwards, I got him the last time as well, I think he will send me a xmas card at this rate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R0bb01987

Ive failled my test a few times now:(

its starting to get to me at this stage. Ive been driving 6 years with no probelms at all, ive taken the sheet with the grades on it and done pre tests to go over the points and was told I was up to standard, yet when it comes to the test I seem to get different marks.

My last test I thought I drove pretty well yet the instructor said I drove to slow at certain points and was "to wide for his liking passing parked cars". (very narrow road in a housing estate". His attitude towards me from the moment he called my name wasnt great if im honest.

at 85 euro a test im starting to feel its more of a money making exercise at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Max92

Hi all. I failed my first attempt in Rathgar last week and then found this support forum;-) I must say I have found it helpful to read the various experiences, which is why I felt I should post.

I had a second passenger along for my test. Anyone else experience this? I think it was something to do with quality control for the RSA. I'm not 100% sure on that. My mind was sort of spinning as it was being explained;-)

Anyway, it was no big deal. Both the tester and my extra passenger were courteous and the tester gave me some encouraging feedback at the end.

If anyone is interested, I failed for progress on the straight, clutch / accelerator control (he said I was coasting a bit), and for not being tight enough on some left turns. I didn't realise I had been coasting a bit, but I do have the habit of leaving my left foot hovering over the clutch pedal, which obviously isn't good, so my ADI is now fired. :eek: As for progress on the straight, well... I'm pretty sure I kept it up to, or right under, 50 KM on the straight so part of me wonders if the tester thought I was doing 30 because the speedometer is in MPH. But who knows...?

Anyway, aside from failing it wasn't a bad experience and hopefully it will make me a better driver. And my tester was friendly and courteous. Bring on take #2... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Max92 wrote: »
    Hi all. I failed my first attempt in Rathgar last week and then found this support forum;-) I must say I have found it helpful to read the various experiences, which is why I felt I should post.

I had a second passenger along for my test. Anyone else experience this? I think it was something to do with quality control for the RSA. I'm not 100% sure on that. My mind was sort of spinning as it was being explained;-)

Anyway, it was no big deal. Both the tester and my extra passenger were courteous and the tester gave me some encouraging feedback at the end.

If anyone is interested, I failed for progress on the straight, clutch / accelerator control (he said I was coasting a bit), and for not being tight enough on some left turns. I didn't realise I had been coasting a bit, but I do have the habit of leaving my left foot hovering over the clutch pedal, which obviously isn't good, so my ADI is now fired. :eek: As for progress on the straight, well... I'm pretty sure I kept it up to, or right under, 50 KM on the straight so part of me wonders if the tester thought I was doing 30 because the speedometer is in MPH. But who knows...?

Anyway, aside from failing it wasn't a bad experience and hopefully it will make me a better driver. And my tester was friendly and courteous. Bring on take #2... :D

I have never heard of a second passenger in a test. Think it's pretty poor form tbh, I know you said you weren't freaked but once it's something really nervewracking to introduce any rogue element like that is bound to set someone into a tailspin!

Coasting is a huge, huge flaw and for your ADI not to have spotted that is very poor! Might be time to get a new one alright :)

Is it your own car Max? I'm pretty sure you can change some models from MPH to KMPH, not a gearhead so not sure!

Anyway, best of luck next time :D I've failed three times lol, taking that Samuel Beckett quote about failing better into new and expensive territory!

On my own test, I'm wondering now that I'm up in Dublin should I try again up here? Where would Dublin people recommend/not recommend? Obv I know it's very busy traffic wise but would I be mad to try to take the test here?

Yep, definitely trying a new instructor. It is my car, an oldie. One would think a tester would realise the MPH / KPH difference so maybe it was just me...

The extra passenger in the back threw me at first but it really wasn't an issue once I took off. And I think you can refuse to allow it, but as I said, I was nervous and not concentrating 100% on all his words so I was just like, "Uh, yes, fine..." ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

ivytwine wrote: »
    I have never heard of a second passenger in a test. Think it's pretty poor form tbh, I know you said you weren't freaked but once it's something really nervewracking to introduce any rogue element like that is bound to set someone into a tailspin!

It's not that uncommon, happened a friend of mine as well. The supervisor sits in the back to check that the tester is doing their job properly, but they've no say in the result of the test as they don't speak to the tester until after they've given you the result.

Maybe in some ways it's better as you won't get a rogue tester giving you marks for something you didn't do, but I can see how it would be off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I doubt the tester was confusing 30mph with 30kph... It's easy enough to tell the difference. More likely is one of two options:

- you weren't keeping up with the traffic (if you're at 47kph and traffic is at 50 then you should keep up)
    - you took your time getting up to speed (probably more likely). Go round the corner/join the road and work your way smoothly up the gears and don't waste time getting up to the limit or to as fast as is safe to go - not any slower. If it's safe to do 40, get up to 40 without delay, not 38.

I found an easy way to judge the positivity (as my instructor called it) of my driving in relation to getting up to speed is watching other traffic at lights. If they're all moving off and getting up to speed faster than me then I need to be more positive with acceleration and getting up to speed. Remember, by the time you do your test you should be driving just like any other (non-crazy) driver on the road - not slower or more cautiously or faster or more recklessly.

But yeah, new instructor and you now know areas you need to work on - you now know to hug the corners more turning left and you're aware of a bad habit you've picked up - so you should be fine next time provided you do a bit of work to address those issues.

Testers like to be able to see the clutch pedal to make sure you haven't got it in so keep your foot off it. If you have a foot rest to the side use that instead.

Testers like to be able to see the clutch pedal to make sure you haven't got it in so keep your foot off it. If you have a foot rest to the side use that instead.

Thanks miss no stars and Blay. Solid advice. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I always keep my foot hovered over the clutch. Should I be keeping it on the floor?

Also, by "coasting" do you mean keeping the clutch pressed fully down, or taking your feet off the pedals? I do that when going downhill. Would I get marked down in the test for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I always keep my foot hovered over the clutch. Should I be keeping it on the floor?

For the sake of your foot and clutch, yeah. There's usually a footrest beside it, or you can just move your foot away from it. Personally I move my foot away as I find it more comfortable. Having your foot kept prone hovering over it has to be painful after a while? :confused: But if by hovering you mean resting lightly and 'not putting pressure' on the clutch rather than hovering over it and not touching it you might want to consider this... Friend of mine wore out her clutch recently. It was still a fairly new car and she was the only driver of it so it was strange that it should wear out so quickly - she hadn't even used it as a learner, she only got it after passing her test. Mechanic looked at how she normally drove (foot just hovering over clutch) and said that more than likely she was putting a tiny bit of pressure on it while driving and that over time and distance that wore out the clutch. No other real explanation possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 number 26

Son sat his driving test in Cork yesterday. Weather was dire. Lashing rain and wind. While waiting for him - he subsequently failed, out of the 5 who completed their tests - 4 failed!

He actually thought the test had gone well. Pre-test hadnt showed up any problems. He failed on observation. Mirrors was perfect according to the sheet but not the observation. How can you fail on observation if you dont fail on your mirrors?

Are testers harsher on young male drivers?

Any tips? Would it be better to wear a shirt and tie?

And my biggest rant!! €85.00 for a re-test. Thats like a day and a half work for him. grrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Jeepers, 85 smackers for a retest is nuts!

Advertisement