Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I wouldn't mind seeing the first time pass rates. I'd say they are really low

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Hey just posting my experience from the first time I failed (I passed on my 4th attempt about a year ago) and I'm just curious if anyone, particularly testers, had any options...

Anyway the test centre was attached to the side of an a hotel, my instructor told e to park around the back of the building as the front was for hotel guests. Coming out with the tester and I said "i'm just parked around the back"

He stopped dead and goes "excuse me? why did you park there?"

I said because my instructor told me to

He then goes "Well have you no mind for yourself or are you an idiot?"

So anyway suffice to say after that he was very short and not helpful in the slightest being clear on commands for the rest of the test, I failed with 11 marks.

Would I have had any grounds to request another tester, given he basically abused me before I got into the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Hey just posting my experience from the first time I failed (I passed on my 4th attempt about a year ago) and I'm just curious if anyone, particularly testers, had any options...

Anyway the test centre was attached to the side of an a hotel, my instructor told e to park around the back of the building as the front was for hotel guests. Coming out with the tester and I said "i'm just parked around the back"

He stopped dead and goes "excuse me? why did you park there?"

I said because my instructor told me to

He then goes "Well have you no mind for yourself or are you an idiot?"

So anyway suffice to say after that he was very short and not helpful in the slightest being clear on commands for the rest of the test, I failed with 11 marks.

Would I have had any grounds to request another tester, given he basically abused me before I got into the car?

I don't even get why he said that to you, what was wrong with you parking there? Did he not fancy the walk or something? :confused::confused::confused:

That's pretty bizarre and you probably would have had recourse to appeal, no-one in a professional environment should speak like that to a client. Essentially you were a client, even though you were being tested, you paid!

However, it would have been difficult to prove I imagine.

Hope he's not still testing people. With my nerves and temper I probably would have told him eff off!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

done driven test today, and did not get it, main area was react to hazards, got 7 grade 2, he said as i did not get my front tyres between speed bumps, has anyone heard of this before, i think it was a bit over the top, also he said parked car i did not reacted right, but did indicate before it, anyone can give me any ideas what i might have done wrong, as if i had not done these i would have passed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

ivytwine wrote: »
    I don't even get why he said that to you, what was wrong with you parking there? Did he not fancy the walk or something? :confused::confused::confused:

That's pretty bizarre and you probably would have had recourse to appeal, no-one in a professional environment should speak like that to a client. Essentially you were a client, even though you were being tested, you paid!

However, it would have been difficult to prove I imagine.

Hope he's not still testing people. With my nerves and temper I probably would have told him eff off!

Ye it was a bit of a walk around, maybe 2 mins and the ground in the back car park was a little gravely with some puddles etc, he was complaining about the state of the ground as we walked there.

If it happened now I would of certainly made a bigger deal of it, but I was a little more meek back when I was younger , plus the though that if I complained back he would just fail me on he spot or, at least unofficially anyway. It was a tough spot to be in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

I wouldn't mind seeing the first time pass rates. I'd say they are really low

Surprising seeing as some companies are advertising 90+% pass rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Surprising seeing as some companies are advertising 90+% pass rates

After how many attempts?

After how many attempts?

God knows you won't get any explanation or accurate figures from them

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Failed today in Finglas. Was NOT expecting it, thought I drove fairly well and for the absolute majority of marks on my sheet I honestly couldn't say where or why I got them, unlike my multiple pre tests with my ADI where I knew I was going to get a mark when it happened. I got the fairly "large" tester there, I've heard he's very very harsh on marking, anyone any experience with him?

For those interested, I got 15 Blue's and 1 Red:
    Position on Straight - 2 Blue
    Position turning left - 1 blue, 1 red (no idea how I got a red)
    Observation turning right - 3 blue
    Reaction to hazards - 2 blue
    Progress on the straight - 2 blue
    Progress turning right - 1 blue
    Progress at traffic lights - 1 blue
    Clutch control - 1 blue
    gears control - 1 blue
    speed turning left - 1 blue

Very annoyed with this tbh. My ADI was almost sure I should pass first time out. I re booked on the cancellation list straight away for Finglas again. Anyone any idea how long this usually takes and if ringing them or emailing would speed it up at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

brainiac wrote: »
    Failed today in Finglas. Was NOT expecting it, thought I drove fairly well and for the absolute majority of marks on my sheet I honestly couldn't say where or why I got them, unlike my multiple pre tests with my ADI where I knew I was going to get a mark when it happened. I got the fairly "large" tester there, I've heard he's very very harsh on marking, anyone any experience with him?

Clutch control - 1 blue
    gears control - 1 blue

Very annoyed with this tbh. My ADI was almost sure I should pass first time out. I re booked on the cancellation list straight away for Finglas again. Anyone any idea how long this usually takes and if ringing them or emailing would speed it up at all?
    Ring tomorrow with your reference code and ask for a test date is the quickest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Clutch control - 1 blue
    gears control - 1 blue

I know who you're talking about..same happened to me. I failed with that guy 18 blues, apparently for turning corners too slowly? I couldn't tell you what I did wrong to get them, drove with no hassle at all!

I passed less than 4 weeks later with 4 blues, no other marks! I even stumbled over some of the questions beforehand, had to navigate around a delivery truck stopped in the centre of the road, take a corner blind around a bin truck and nearly was crashed into around the corner from the test centre by an impatient woman trying to edge out onto Sycamore road, had to slam on the brakes...wasn't the smoothest driving test to pass :)

So don't let it get to you, just reapply and do it again. Just remember it's not an overall accurate portrayal of your driving, it's a snapshot of your driving and what the examiner thinks of your driving they've seen! It's unlikely you'll get the same guy again anyway.

Also I reapplied straight away after the first time, didn't ring or email and had a date within a month... about 3 weeks I think? Once you're on the list you'll sometimes get texts about cancellations also, if you're in a hurry to pass they could help speed it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 crazy_janey

Failed today in Wilton, Cork. I was told my progress was too slow around the housing estates. I should be "putting the boot down" or I could cause traffic jams or delays. I was going 35-40 km/h around, keeping in mind the speedbumps and the cars parked on both sides of the road.

If I had gone faster I would have passed. So I just have to get used to speeding around the estates and I'll be grand when I do my next test! Doesn't seem very safe but anyway.........

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

I am actually furious with my result in Finglas yesterday, Other than 4 blue marks which were completely fair, I had 6 Progress on the straight and 5 reaction to hazards for apparently taking ramps TOO SLOWLY (despite them being traffic CALMING measures) and for not reacting appropriately (mix of slowing too much again and not moving into the wrong road position to go over one of the small square ramps instead of moving out to roll the car over them).

Everything he said was contrary to what I was told by my ADI many times. You don't move out of position just to glide over a ramp easier because you're in the wrong position then which is very bad. And you should always slow down so that the ramp is barely felt, I mean, I don't even understand how I could be failed on such a thing. If I knew he wanted me to take them faster like I would have taken them faster...

Would it even be worth my time writing a letter of complaint / appeal? Feeling very disheartened at this stage.. ADI very much expected me to pass, as did most including myself and to be put down in such a small way is just aggravating.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I am actually furious with my result in Finglas yesterday, Other than 4 blue marks which were completely fair, I had 6 Progress on the straight and 5 reaction to hazards for apparently taking ramps TOO SLOWLY (despite them being traffic CALMING measures) and for not reacting appropriately (mix of slowing too much again and not moving into the wrong road position to go over one of the small square ramps instead of moving out to roll the car over them).

Everything he said was contrary to what I was told by my ADI many times. You don't move out of position just to glide over a ramp easier because you're in the wrong position then which is very bad. And you should always slow down so that the ramp is barely felt, I mean, I don't even understand how I could be failed on such a thing. If I knew he wanted me to take them faster like I would have taken them faster...

Would it even be worth my time writing a letter of complaint / appeal? Feeling very disheartened at this stage.. ADI very much expected me to pass, as did most including myself and to be put down in such a small way is just aggravating.

To the best of my knowledge, it's perfectly fine to alter your position for ramps, if safe to do so. Check out the youtube video's for the Irish driving test which shows similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Maybe a letter of complaint to your ADI, sounds like he was giving you some bad advice.

Yeah, sounds like your instructor is way off the mark. Of course you move over if safe to do so. Why on earth wouldn't you? Seriously, if you were putting the suspension through unnecessary wear and tear (you were - going over avoidable ramps) and were going so slowly that you could barely feel the ramps then you really were not driving like a normal person. Why not get someone you know to be a decent driver to drive the test route you did and see how they handle the ramps? The testers aren't looking for stupidly cautious and slow driving that bugs the hell out of anyone caught behind you and prematurely wears down the car; they're looking for normal, safe driving. But look, the ramps issue isn't your fault really, you were acting on the advice of your ADI and that's who you should have the gripe with.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

Failed today in Dundalk. I thought everything was going really badly and was practically in tears by the time we got back to the test centre. Halfway through the test I was actually wondering why he was bothering taking me any further when it was obvious I'd already failed.

Turned out I had 5 grade twos, and one poxy grade 3 for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing towards the end - to be honest, I was so flustered at that stage that I didn't even see the thing, I was such a mess. If I'd managed to stay calmer I would have passed!

Reapplied as soon as I got home. Now that I know I would have passed if I hadn't made that one stupid mistake, I'll actually be more confident next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SalEB1990

I sat the driving test for the first time today and failed... miserably. I've always known I was a nervous driver but thought I had got it under control. I have a great instructor, he put me under plenty of pressurised situations until I finally got to a place where I was better able to handle them.

Fast forward to today and my test in Raheny, some absolute idiot reversed out in front of me right on the bend at the hill leading up to the junction before the dart station and even though I dealt with that situation well, afterwards I was just like "Oh crap, what else is going to happen" and just completely fell to pieces from then.

I started making mistakes that I had never ever made before such as taking left turns extremely wide - this was something my instructor had said I was very good at and vehicle controls were just a disaster because I was so flustered.

I hadn't told my parents I was getting lessons or the test as I didn't want the added pressure but rang my mam after today so she is putting me on her insurance so I can get more practice in, I've reapplied and will start back at the pre-tests in January!

Hopefully next time I won't be such a wreck :/

If anyone has any tips for nerves, fire them my way please!

TwoCats wrote: »
    Failed today in Dundalk. I thought everything was going really badly and was practically in tears by the time we got back to the test centre. Halfway through the test I was actually wondering why he was bothering taking me any further when it was obvious I'd already failed.

Turned out I had 5 grade twos, and one poxy grade 3 for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing towards the end - to be honest, I was so flustered at that stage that I didn't even see the thing, I was such a mess. If I'd managed to stay calmer I would have passed!

Reapplied as soon as I got home. Now that I know I would have passed if I hadn't made that one stupid mistake, I'll actually be more confident next time.

Course you'll do better next time, just try and stay focused til back in the test centre, good luck

SalEB1990 wrote: »
    I sat the driving test for the first time today and failed... miserably. I've always known I was a nervous driver but thought I had got it under control. I have a great instructor, he put me under plenty of pressurised situations until I finally got to a place where I was better able to handle them.

Fast forward to today and my test in Raheny, some absolute idiot reversed out in front of me right on the bend at the hill leading up to the junction before the dart station and even though I dealt with that situation well, afterwards I was just like "Oh crap, what else is going to happen" and just completely fell to pieces from then.

I started making mistakes that I had never ever made before such as taking left turns extremely wide - this was something my instructor had said I was very good at and vehicle controls were just a disaster because I was so flustered.

I hadn't told my parents I was getting lessons or the test as I didn't want the added pressure but rang my mam after today so she is putting me on her insurance so I can get more practice in, I've reapplied and will start back at the pre-tests in January!

Ah I've been that soldier, and the only advice I can give you is to check out some breathing exercises and relaxation tips- lots of good advice for nervous drivers all over the internet.
    Good luck, onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear this, but it sounds like you'll get it next time no problem. My advice would be to just have confidence in yourself and don't doubt your own ability. If you make a mistake, just forget about it - it doesn't mean you've failed and it doesn't help to keep dwelling on the mistakes. Best of luck again and stay positive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cppbutler

Failed in Finglas today mainly for going too fast over ramps.

I thought I was going just fine dropped to 3rd for them and braked over them and accelerated away.

Made a mess of my reverse around the corner, got two grade 2's for that.

Other than that I would have passed no problem to me.

The nerves really got to me I suppose.

Re-applied first thing when got home and checked the cancellation box.
    Hopefully the nerves won't be too much the next time as I know how it all works now and I know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cppbutler wrote: »
    I thought I was going just fine dropped to 3rd for them and braked over them and accelerated away.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042715

Read this thread about ramps!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cppbutler

Mars Bar wrote: »

thanks have read that in the past..my instructor says third is fine. If it's a particularly bad ramp I'd drop to second no problem but for the ones I was facing today I'd still do it in 3rd.

However I keep seeing different answers and it's hard to know what to think

cppbutler wrote: »
    thanks have read that in the past..my instructor says third is fine. If it's a particularly bad ramp I'd drop to second no problem but for the ones I was facing today I'd still do it in 3rd.

However I keep seeing different answers and it's hard to know what to think

It's hard to know what to think because the testers are a bit erratic and some of them just have personal gripes. if you go to a new ADI who's familiar with the testt centre they could probably tell you which tester you had by the marks you got.

Personally, I take most ramps in second, third if they're particularly gentle, first if they're those bastard plastic sharp ones. The purpose is to go over them at a speed where the bump is comfortable, doesn't wreck your suspension and does slow you down. The gear should match the speed comfortably. It could depend on your car as to what gear that is. My car is geared quite nicely, goes up to 3rd, 4th and 5th at about 20, 30 and 40 mph (use to looking at speedo in mph, sorry) respectively and needs to go back down about 5mph below those speeds. I'd call that borderline 2nd/3rd territory for the speed you'd be taking ramps at. Depending on your car, you could well be comfortably in 3rd going over ramps. Go for a drive with someone you don't normally drive with, do the route and ask them beforehand to pay attention to how you handle ramps. Sometimes a fresh opinion can be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

So failed yesterday with the following faults. All easily correctable so fingers crossed for the next time!

ScreenHunter_141Jan141130_zps98e34b61.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Saw the Naas instructor the other day driving with his foglights on... :rolleyes:

Attempt no. 2 on Thursday!!! Have had so much more practice in the run up to this one than in December... Off to get me some rescue remedy tomorrow! Need to keep the nerves in check big time!

Attempt no. 2 on Thursday!!! Have had so much more practice in the run up to this one than in December... Off to get me some rescue remedy tomorrow! Need to keep the nerves in check big time!

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement

Gutted. Failed again today in Raheny.

I'm annoyed with myself because I had a fantastic pre-test over the weekend with just 3 grades 2s but I'm my own worst enemy and the nerves just completely took over. On a positive note, I did do drastically better than my first attempt, going from 24 grade 2s (!!!!) to 14 today & no grade 3s.

Main issue was observation turning left, I got 3 marks for that. Vehicle controls, got 4 in that category - they always go to pot when the nerves kick in anyway. Got 2 marks for reaction to hazards - I know what one of them was for but at a loss to what the other relates to.

The 3 week rule is very frustrating, I wish I could just apply again and try get a slot next week so I don't have time to build it up in my head, does any know if there is anyway around it? If I leave it for another month I'm going to have to get several lessons again as I don't have my own car, so it's costing me a fortune!!!

Advertisement