Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

SalEB1990 wrote: »
    Gutted. Failed again today in Raheny.

I'm annoyed with myself because I had a fantastic pre-test over the weekend with just 3 grades 2s but I'm my own worst enemy and the nerves just completely took over. On a positive note, I did do drastically better than my first attempt, going from 24 grade 2s (!!!!) to 14 today & no grade 3s.

Main issue was observation turning left, I got 3 marks for that. Vehicle controls, got 4 in that category - they always go to pot when the nerves kick in anyway. Got 2 marks for reaction to hazards - I know what one of them was for but at a loss to what the other relates to.

The 3 week rule is very frustrating, I wish I could just apply again and try get a slot next week so I don't have time to build it up in my head, does any know if there is anyway around it? If I leave it for another month I'm going to have to get several lessons again as I don't have my own car, so it's costing me a fortune!!!

Aw SalEB1990, I'm really sorry to hear that. Is there anybody you can borrow a car off or would be willing to insure you?

I had no car either and it really makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I'm annoyed with myself because I had a fantastic pre-test over the weekend with just 3 grades 2s but I'm my own worst enemy and the nerves just completely took over.
    It can be an unpleasant experience - my two tests were pretty nervy too.

One quick tip though on the subject of nerves - apparently telling yourself "I am excited" rather than "I am calm" as you start a task which feels daunting (e.g. public speaking or driving tests) somehow causes people to perform much better at the task. According to the study, it even helped on maths tests :eek:.

Anyway best of luck next time, at the rate you improved this time round, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sej22

Gutted. Failed again today in Raheny.

I'm annoyed with myself because I had a fantastic pre-test over the weekend with just 3 grades 2s but I'm my own worst enemy and the nerves just completely took over. On a positive note, I did do drastically better than my first attempt, going from 24 grade 2s (!!!!) to 14 today & no grade 3s.

Main issue was observation turning left, I got 3 marks for that. Vehicle controls, got 4 in that category - they always go to pot when the nerves kick in anyway. Got 2 marks for reaction to hazards - I know what one of them was for but at a loss to what the other relates to.

The 3 week rule is very frustrating, I wish I could just apply again and try get a slot next week so I don't have time to build it up in my head, does any know if there is anyway around it? If I leave it for another month I'm going to have to get several lessons again as I don't have my own car, so it's costing me a fortune!!!

Sorry you failed :( I know how frustrating it can be. You don't have to wait 3 weeks though. If you feel like you're ready to retake it, you can ring the RSA and see if there's a cancellation. I had my second test a week after my first one and passed! You'll be put on hold for about 10 minutes but when they answer, just give your details and they might be able to arrange something for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Sorry you didn't get it this time. I'd advise tell no one at all that it is coming up. If you need to tell someone to go with you, don't tell them until the day of the test. And try to tell yourself that "I'm just having another go today, It's no big deal".

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gvgdhar

cppbutler wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas today mainly for going too fast over ramps.

I thought I was going just fine dropped to 3rd for them and braked over them and accelerated away.
    I had disastrous failure in my first attempt, a year back, got 6 out of 14 grade 2s for ramps. I had 4 mock tests before that and all were good. My instructor used to tell I am harsh on ramps but never told how to come over it.
    Earlier this month gave test once again without any mock tests and passed without a mark on speed ramps (had 15ramps in total), thanks to my friend. He had told me ignore everything and just demonstrate to the tester that you have noticed speed ramp by slowing down from whatever speed you are at and accelerate as soon as rear wheel is on ramp - this will be clear on both reaction to hazard and progress. I felt mock tests are a waste of money and time. Rather you go for regular classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

Hi, ‘he is signing you to over take him’——what kind of sign is that?
    thank you!
    10mins out the test centre got stuck behind a council sweeper lorry, got 2 marks for driving too close behind him, then the instructor said to me 'do you not realise that he is signing you to over take him' 1st of all his indicators were covered in dirt so i could barley see them. 2nd he told me to over take him now which was on a white line road coming to the bow of the hill where it terns to a sharp corner. I failed the test because of this incident, also got a mark for over taking him :(, i got 4 marks in relation to hazards (lorry incident) and 6 in section 11 which the over taking took place. If i didn't run into the lorry i would have gotten 7/8. People in the pub say that i should challenge the instructor for a pass or another test free of charge as telling me to do a dangerous over taking on the road.

That do you's think???

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SalEB1990

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll ring RSA tomorrow to see if I can get a cancellation in the next week. I'm insured on my mam's car but unfortunately my parents live in Wicklow and I live in Dublin. My dad has been very good and has driven up to me in the evening's after work so I can practice. Back behind the wheel tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well failed for the second time today with 10 faults.

We'll get there eventually kitten_k! Hopefully it'll be a case of third time lucky of for us both! Round three for me is next Friday!!

We'll get there eventually kitten_k! Hopefully it'll be a case of third time lucky of for us both! Round three for me is next Friday!!

Best of luck with your next attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Failed today in Tallaght. Felt I did OK. Had 4 grade 2's for position on the straight so that's where i failed. Rest were single grade 2 for yield right of way turning left, position turning left, clutch and two for progression. 11 in total.

Must also say i did no lessons or pre-tests before this one.

What would be the difference say in a grade 1 fault on a bend to a grade 2 fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Failed today in Tallaght. Felt I did OK. Was not given a sheet with outline of Grade1/2/3 faults, just a sheet with headings and sub heading and lines under areas to improve? Is this normal? .ie position on straight, turning left.

They should send you an email in couple of hours with a PDF with all the Grade1, 2 and 3 faults that you got during the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

They should send you an email in couple of hours with a PDF with all the Grade1, 2 and 3 faults that you got during the test

Had 4 grade 2's for position on the straight so that's where i failed. Rest were single grade 2 for yield right of way turning left, position turning left, clutch and two for progression. 11 in total.

What would be the difference say in a grade 1 fault on a bend to a grade 2 fault?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Had 4 grade 2's for position on the straight so that's where i failed. Rest were single grade 2 for yield right of way turning left, position turning left, clutch and two for progression. 11 in total.

Are you taking your turns very wide?
    Likewise your road position, are you more towards the centre of the road than the left?

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHH! So annoyed with myself! Failed for the third time in Raheny but I was so close!!! Grade 3 for yield right of way (cyclist) and 2 grade 2s!!!

I had finally conquered my nerves and then go and make such a stupid mistake!!!! I'm taking the positives though - I knew instantly I had failed but despite that I only got 2 grade 2s after where before I would have crumbled....

So onto attempt number 4!!!

Hard luck, fingers crossed for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Failed my 4th one in Rathgar just now. I'm ashamed to admit that with 5 grade 3s the tester decided not to even finish the test. Overall he said driving too fast ruined it for me, and I was driving dangerously. Not easy words to hear (I'm by no means a boy racer and take my time when driving alone). In my previous 3 tests I've gotten 1 or 2 grade 3s max, and could have scraped through.

My previous tester commented that I was too slow and overcautious stopping places I shouldn't, so in this case I tried to show a little more confidence. Blew up in my face.

The whole thing is a real blow as my tests had been getting better as I went along, and now this is by far the worst one.

I will defo apply again, but it feels like theres no end in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

PMC83 wrote: »
    Failed my 4th one in Rathgar just now. I'm ashamed to admit that with 5 grade 3s the tester decided not to even finish the test. Overall he said driving too fast ruined it for me, and I was driving dangerously. Not easy words to hear (I'm by no means a boy racer and take my time when driving alone). In my previous 3 tests I've gotten 1 or 2 grade 3s max, and could have scraped through.

My previous tester commented that I was too slow and overcautious stopping places I shouldn't, so in this case I tried to show a little more confidence. Blew up in my face.

The whole thing is a real blow as my tests had been getting better as I went along, and now this is by far the worst one.

sorry to hear that PMC, sounds like you mighta had the foot down alright. i think Rathgar is a dreadful place to do the test, especially if you have failed the test a few times and may be inclined to "over-correct" on hesitance for example. I also lived in the area for most of my life, so was accustomed to it. The same thing happened to me (although I didn't get any grade 3s for it!).

Would you consider changing test centre?

Cheers mate. To be honest I may try Tallaght, I'm from rathfarnham so know both areas pretty well. Theres no use in complaining about it, though some of the feedback really did seem to contradict previous feedback.

As you say, I prob just way overcompensated. Back to the drawing board!

I suppose at the end of the day, you can argue the over 1 grade three, but with 5 I was clearly making a mess!

Sorry to hear that PMC83.

On my first pre-test with my instructor he said I was going too slow, On my second he said I was going to fast and it was due to me over compensating for the last pre test. He said just drive like I normally would if the test wasn't there and I should be fine.

I have failed twice so far but speed was never a problem, need to apply again. I am doing my in Tallaght. I find watching the videos of the test routes helpful.

http://www.adischoolofmotoring.com/?page_id=253

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that PMC83.

On my first pre-test with my instructor he said I was going too slow, On my second he said I was going to fast and it was due to me over compensating for the last pre test. He said just drive like I normally would if the test wasn't there and I should be fine.

I have failed twice so far but speed was never a problem, need to apply again. I am doing my in Tallaght. I find watching the videos of the test routes helpful.

http://www.adischoolofmotoring.com/?page_id=253

Nice one kitten- they are actually pretty handy!

yeh I found Tallaght a good place to do test, rathgar is such a lottery of yummy mummies, delivery vans, cyclists, and just getting in and out of the test centre!

I find this site quite good for pictures of the routes for the different centres too. helped me anyway

http://www.drivingtestroutesandmaps.com/#!tallaght-test-fotos/cwmd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

PMC83 wrote: »

Always an end in sight, it might just take a lickle longer to get there :)

Have you been taking courses and pre-tests? How have they been going for you to-date?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Feu wrote: »
    yeh I found Tallaght a good place to do test, rathgar is such a lottery of yummy mummies, delivery vans, cyclists, and just getting in and out of the test centre!

I find this site quite good for pictures of the routes for the different centres too. helped me anyway

http://www.drivingtestroutesandmaps.com/#!tallaght-test-fotos/cwmd

My first time seeing a site like this. Thanks for sharing. Just hope some more locations country-wide will take this on as it could help relief some tension by learner-drivers :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just hope some more locations country-wide will take this on as it could help relief some tension by learner-drivers
    The RSA frown upon this as it leads to people learning "routes" as opposed to learning to drive.
    They also get a lot of complaints from the residents in housing estates used for the various manoeuvres.

Everyone learns routes before they do the test, it is absurd to think people don't practise the route with their driving instructors. That particular site is also aimed at people with dyspraxia, who may benefit from being particularly familiar with a route for a test situation.

Personally i think they are helpful as it can give you a chance to think about types of manoevers (e.g. turning right off a dual carriage way, different junctions etc) even when you can't be out driving. Safety first after all. and I think a tester would frown on someone who didn't appear to know an area at all, as it would imply they've not practised/considered the route at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Feu wrote: »
    Everyone learns routes before they do the test, it is absurd to think people don't practise the route with their driving instructors. That particular site is also aimed at people with dyspraxia, who may benefit from being particularly familiar with a route for a test situation.

Personally i think they are helpful as it can give you a chance to think about types of manoevers (e.g. turning right off a dual carriage way, different junctions etc) even when you can't be out driving. Safety first after all. and I think a tester would frown on someone who didn't appear to know an area at all, as it would imply they've not practised/considered the route at all?

If you're at a full license standard not knowing the area shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to your driving. My test was predominantly in an area I'd never been through before. You just drive normally. If you can't drive properly in your own country in a car you're familiar with just because you're on an unfamiliar road, why the hell should you be given a license that allows you to go abroad, rent a car and drive around on the other side of the road in an unfamiliar country, never mind unfamiliar road?!

Finally done it on my 4th attempt! 4 has always been my lucky number - 3 grade 2s for a comfortable pass! :-)

I recommend anyone who fails to ring up and get another test as soon as possible! The waiting in between is a killer :-)!

Congrats!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Failed on my first go two weeks back :( the examiner didn't seem interested at all and even managed to ask me the bizarre question of "What kind of weather do you stop in a yellow box in?" (He did correct himself eventually) I then messed up reversing around the corner because I went into a pothole, thought I'd hit the curb and panicked. Drove the rest of the time like I had already failed and taadaa I did. Onto the next one however!

Advertisement