Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Just back from failing in Raheny.

Very disappointed to be honest. 16 grade 2's which I wasn't expecting at all.

Most of the faults were from junctions and roundabouts. The tester gave me very little notice when giving directions and only said second exit or third exit when approaching a roundabout.

As a result my position suffered as I had to react and slow down/change.

Really annoyed. :mad:

Ah well, I'll book it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is it possible that you are driving too fast & not giving yourself enough time to react to what the tester is telling you to do? If there is a junction or a roundabout up ahead, odds are you are going to have to do something at it, be it go left/right, or straight through it. If you are driving at the proper speed, you should be able to prepare for what he tells you to do (such as change lanes if he wants you to turn right at a junction or roundabout) in a manner that is not so unsafe or wrong, that you get marked down for it.

Yeah to be fair I should have been more prepared going through the junctions.

I think I focused too much on getting the route done rather than taking it one junction/roundabout at a time.

Ah well.

Best piece of advice I ever got (on passing the test) was to live in the moment. Don't think about what happened 10 minutes ago when you met the tester and, he seemed to be a in a bad mood. Don't think about a mistake that you made 5 minutes ago. Don't think about what may happen 10 minutes from now. Live in the moment. Focus on what is in front of you at the time and, nothing else. I know it sounds easier said than done, but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't think about a mistake that you made 5 minutes ago. Don't think about what may happen 10 minutes from now. Live in the moment. Focus on what is in front of you at the time and, nothing else. I know it sounds easier said than done, but there ya go.
    Very true, and good advice in general. To be fair though, it's not normal for testers to give very late instructions.
    During both my tests, each tester gave me instructions early ("we're going to turn left at the next junction", like 10 seconds before getting to it). I'd say Bobby42 might have been unlucky and got someone who didn't get enough sleep and ended up forgetting to give timely instructions. I'm sure it'll be easier next time!

• Advertisement

I'd say I wasn't as focused as I should have been.

The whole experience was very different to my driving lessons. I'm going to ask my instructor to be less polite and give me a bit less warning when giving directions just to get used to the situation.

I'd say my turns were a little paniced and my position was just not right so he gave me a grade 2 everytime.

I was a little rattled by being met by a garda car flooring it on lights and sirens on the wrong side of the road as soon as I turned onto the clontarf road.

Ultimately its my fault I failed. I got a grade three on a left turn, the tester said "you were over on the other side of the road and a bus was coming".

To be honest I cant actually remember this so there's a chance I was not paying as much attention as I should have.

I'll be a lot more calm and pay a lot more attention next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Have my test this week crapping it :eek: but trying to get a lesson every second day and practice every other day. My mock sheets coming back with stupid errors on observation, not checking right shoulder last minute and road positioning think the observation and hazards gets a lot of people. But as one person said it's a pity we can not see in details where we went wrong after a fail. Also in the last few months out driving the amount of idiot full licence holder I see is unreal no indication when turning or changing lanes, beeping at learners who are too slow approaching a big roundabout and and incident that happened me a few days ago. Driving down Main St Raheny, and turning left onto Watermill road I had traffic behind me, a car in front decided to start reversing into a tight parking space behind me I nearly had to toot the horn as I had a line of cars behind me and could not move. She screeched off in her brakes where an instructor car was coming towards her did an illegal u turn no indication and drove fast right back down the road again the instructor looking as me shaking his head. I wish I had got that car's numberplate. It was peak time at a school nearby and lot of learner drivers around there. I cant stand arrogant cocky drivers who think once they pass their test the learning is over. :mad:

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I'd say I wasn't as focused as I should have been.

The whole experience was very different to my driving lessons. I'm going to ask my instructor to be less polite and give me a bit less warning when giving directions just to get used to the situation.

I'd say my turns were a little paniced and my position was just not right so he gave me a grade 2 everytime.

I was a little rattled by being met by a garda car flooring it on lights and sirens on the wrong side of the road as soon as I turned onto the clontarf road.

Ultimately its my fault I failed. I got a grade three on a left turn, the tester said "you were over on the other side of the road and a bus was coming".

To be honest I cant actually remember this so there's a chance I was not paying as much attention as I should have.

I'll be a lot more calm and pay a lot more attention next time.

You sound like you have a really great attitude and you are willing to learn from your mistakes, which is half the battle won. The people who are doomed to failure over and over imo, are the ones who are convinced that they did nothing wrong, it's all the testers fault, it's all a big money making racket, they failed because of quotas etc etc. It's never, ever their fault. :rolleyes:

Best of luck with the repeat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bouncy11

Had mine today didnt even get to start the engine. Instructor said seat was too uncomfortable & would hurt his back. I would avoid mallow, arrogant ppl down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bouncy11 wrote: »
    Had mine today didnt even get to start the engine. Instructor said seat was too uncomfortable & would hurt his back. I would avoid mallow, arrogant ppl down there.
    Do you have racing seats installed or something?

• Advertisement

No standard car. Contacted my driving instructor afterwards & he said same person wouldnt do a test cos there was hair on the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

What the hell?! That sounds a bit ridiculous. If you can't sit into a car you shouldn't have a job involving doing so. Surely you won't have to pay for a re-test?

I'm booked in for Mallow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That's ridiculous!!

Yes i will have to i believe but am defiently making a complaint. I could of just caught him in a bad humour. Good luck with your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

No standard car. Contacted my driving instructor afterwards & he said same person wouldnt do a test cos there was hair on the seat.

Hi,

anything wrong with the seat ?, If not, then contact the RSA and demand a refund plus all your expenses. Also contact some of the tabloids, some of them might be interested in publishing the fact that the RSA refuses to conduct tests in certain make model of car because of the uncomfortable front seat.

Hi thanks for advice.
    I've put in a complaint i think ill wait & see where that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I can't understand this, it's so wrong! If the complaint effort doesn't work out you can always call Saul. Or Joe, I meant Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AMG999222

Had my test today in Tallaght, and it seemed like everything was pitted against me despite only getting 3 grade 2 errors in my pre test mock with my ADI on saturday.

Anyway, after the test the tester mentioned all my errors while filling out my Feedback Form (Still haven't received my detailed emailed report), but some of what she said was a bit questionable.

For example she marked me on gears mentioning that I never went into 4th gear at any stage of the test. I took the test in a 1.6 litre diesel Kia Ceed estate, and in order for you to even enter 4th gear you must be travelling at at least 50kph, and then maintain about 55-60 so the car doesn't shudder while in that gear. I obviously don't want to break the speed limit during my driving test of all times, and I maintained 45kph for the majority of the test.

She also circled 'competently' in my turnabout because I did it in 5 movements rather than the usual 3. The car is 4.5m long, which is an extra metre compared to other usual adi vehicles.

As I said I haven't received my detailed report, which is strange given I'm meant to get it the day of the test, so I won't know exactly what was up.

But she did leave me with this laughable statement; "You know what you need to improve on, just be careful you don't over-practice those areas." What.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 summer00

Failed in Rathgar last Thursday on second attempt (although my first was back in 2012 and knew I would fail as wasnt ready).
    Only got 5 grade 2 but 1 grade 3 red fail for observation on a right hand turn at a T junction! Was so annoyed as was a stupid mistake on my behalf and would have passed over wise!!!

Got a cancellation for next week so fingers crossed its third time lucky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

AMG999222 wrote: »
    Had my test today in Tallaght, and it seemed like everything was pitted against me despite only getting 3 grade 2 errors in my pre test mock with my ADI on saturday.

Anyway, after the test the tester mentioned all my errors while filling out my Feedback Form (Still haven't received my detailed emailed report), but some of what she said was a bit questionable.

For example she marked me on gears mentioning that I never went into 4th gear at any stage of the test. I took the test in a 1.6 litre diesel Kia Ceed estate, and in order for you to even enter 4th gear you must be travelling at at least 50kph, and then maintain about 55-60 so the car doesn't shudder while in that gear. I obviously don't want to break the speed limit during my driving test of all times, and I maintained 45kph for the majority of the test.

She also circled 'competently' in my turnabout because I did it in 5 movements rather than the usual 3. The car is 4.5m long, which is an extra metre compared to other usual adi vehicles.

As I said I haven't received my detailed report, which is strange given I'm meant to get it the day of the test, so I won't know exactly what was up.

But she did leave me with this laughable statement; "You know what you need to improve on, just be careful you don't over-practice those areas." What.

O.o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 cppbutler

Failed in Finglas today for second time.

Got a grade 3 for not looking right coming on to a roundabout even though I know I did look otherwise obviously would not have proceeded. But what can you do.

Slightly disheartening as I thought I did a great drive, and had very little grade 2's so would have passed without that. All my other grade 2's were mainly due to nerves.

Applied straight away again for cancellation so hopefully get back quick enough while I'm in the swing of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

cppbutler wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas today for second time.

Got a grade 3 for not looking right coming on to a roundabout even though I know I did look otherwise obviously would not have proceeded. But what can you do.

Slightly disheartening as I thought I did a great drive, and had very little grade 2's so would have passed without that. All my other grade 2's were mainly due to nerves.

Applied straight away again for cancellation so hopefully get back quick enough while I'm in the swing of things.

just shows the problems with the test. Imagine they had to prove you didn't look! Chin up, you'll get it next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I was told to actively turn my head to demonstrate that I was checking mirrors. I was told that it was not sufficient to just check with your eyes. I was like a nodding dog in the front seat haha during the test. (In all honesty, you'd end up dizzy, or with a headache if you drove like that all the time, but sure, that's what they want!).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cppbutler

just shows the problems with the test. Imagine they had to prove you didn't look! Chin up, you'll get it next time.
    sopretty wrote: »
    I was told to actively turn my head to demonstrate that I was checking mirrors. I was told that it was not sufficient to just check with your eyes. I was like a nodding dog in the front seat haha during the test. (In all honesty, you'd end up dizzy, or with a headache if you drove like that all the time, but sure, that's what they want!).

Thanks let's hope so!

If I don't get it next time over something stupid I'll seriously be questioning why I'm paying €85 a pop for this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Just back from my first attempt - didn't get it.

Reverse around the corner was a disaster as a guy on a bike decided to come out the gate of a park at high speed, straight off the path and across the road behind me. I had to slam on the brakes/avoid him, subsequently hit the kerb. Tester asked why I slammed on the brakes, didn't get any brownie points though as on the brief review given afterwards, the reverse round the corner and clutch & accelerator were the only items circled.

Waiting on the detailed report now :-(

Yep, agree with the above. Looking with your eyes is not enough. You have to actually turn your head too, in a way that is noticeable to the tester. A slight leaning forward in your seat, as you look to your left and right, can also add to the impression that you are busting your balls to be as observant as possible. It is also important to check your mirrors, as you are coming OFF the roundabout. You need to be seen to do it. It is not enough to just check if the way is clear, as you approach & enter the roundabout.
    Just back from my first attempt - didn't get it.

Reverse around the corner was a disaster as a guy on a bike decided to come out the gate of a park at high speed, straight off the path and across the road behind me. I had to slam on the brakes/avoid him, subsequently hit the kerb. Tester asked why I slammed on the brakes, didn't get any brownie points though as on the brief review given afterwards, the reverse round the corner and clutch & accelerator were the only items circled.

Waiting on the detailed report now :-(

Sorry to hear that. Is it possible that you were going a wee bit too fast, if you had to slam on your brakes to such an extent? The reverse around the corner, should be done so painfully slowly, that no matter what or who appears out of no where, you can react to it in such a way that doesn't seem panic-y, or cause you to to do something dangerous, like mount the curb & hit a pedestrian.

Housing estates are terrible places to have to do the reverse manouver in. People seem to think that they can do stupid, reckless things on their own home turf, that they would never, ever do on a busy main road. You may think that you are doing the manouver slowly, but it is only when you actually have to react to one of these things happening, that you realize how little wiggle room you actually have to react to it, unless you are moving at a bare crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

ProudDUB wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. Is it possible that you were going a wee bit too fast, if you had to slam on your brakes to such an extent? The reverse around the corner, should be done so painfully slowly, that no matter what or who appears out of no where, you can react to it in such a way that doesn't seem panic-y, or cause you to to do something dangerous, like mount the curb & hit a pedestrian.

Housing estates are terrible places to have to do the reverse manouver in. People seem to think that they can do stupid, reckless things on their own home turf, that they would never, ever do on a busy main road. You may think that you are doing the manouver slowly, but it is only when you actually have to react to one of these things happening, that you realize how little wiggle room you actually have to react to it, unless you are moving at a bare crawl.

Possibly and bad timing with the cyclist I had just revved to get over a ramp so had sped up a bit.

Ah live and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Some people might disagree with this, but reversing out of car-park spaces, in busy shopping centre car-parks, really brings home the importance of observation in reversing around the corner. I know it's not exactly the point of the test version, but it will give you a good idea of how much observation you need. You have randomers walking with their eyes wide shut, cars going both directions, a narrow space to manoeuvre, the potential for kids running here there and yonder, wandering shopping trolleys, other cars reversing out behind you and all sorts of potential nightmares!

That said, I passed on my second test, but before the tester gave me my result he asked me whether I knew how long it had taken me to get around the corner. I said I didn't. Apparently it took me 5 minutes :P. He said he had never come so close to failing someone for failure to progress lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Some people might disagree with this, but reversing out of car-park spaces, in busy shopping centre car-parks, really brings home the importance of observation in reversing around the corner. I know it's not exactly the point of the test version, but it will give you a good idea of how much observation you need. You have randomers walking with their eyes wide shut, cars going both directions, a narrow space to manoeuvre, the potential for kids running here there and yonder, wandering shopping trolleys, other cars reversing out behind you and all sorts of potential nightmares!

That said, I passed on my second test, but before the tester gave me my result he asked me whether I knew how long it had taken me to get around the corner. I said I didn't. Apparently it took me 5 minutes :P. He said he had never come so close to failing someone for failure to progress lol.

Absolutely! Car parks are a nightmare. Plus, people seem to go off into la-la land and wander around aimlessly and totally unaware of what's going on around them. The other day I was reversing and someone decided to walk behind me while I was reversing (WTF?! seriously common in car parks all the same). But not alone were they walking behind me, they were so close they set off my parking sensors. Lucky enough I had seen them coming (texting) and had already hit the brakes. They passed blithely by.

THEN as I was about to go full lock I check in front of me and someone is walking right where my bonnet will swing out.

The checks you do in the reverse around the corner? There's a very real need for them.

I don't know how my nerves aren't completely shot from people away with the fairies in car parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 summer00

cppbutler wrote: »
    Thanks let's hope so!

If I don't get it next time over something stupid I'll seriously be questioning why I'm paying €85 a pop for this :(

I know the feeling - failed for not looking right on a right turn but feel I probably did but just not enough.
    This was the only thing that failed me as only had a few grade 2s but not enough to fail!

Have my 3rd test this afternoon (got a cancellation so only had to wait two weeks) in Rathgar and if I dont get it not sure what I will do!

Advertisement