Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Longford?

Buncrana

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Quavers33

Just failed my first attempt with 14 Grade 2's - 8 of them in "Progress", all at junctions. I think the nerves got to me & I tried to be overly cautious, but ended up moving too slow, & looking around me too much.
    Got another 2 for "Gears" & 1 for "Clutch", again, think this was just nerves. Not too worried about this for next time as I think I'm generally pretty smooth & don't coast. I think it was failing to gear up in a housing estate a couple of times following my manoeuvres, so you could probably lump it in with my lack of progress.
    Finally, got 3 for "Reaction to Hazards" - I can have no complaint with one, as I should have stopped further back for some walkers but I got too close & struggled then to pass them. But the other two, I have no clue.
    I guess I'll worry about the lack of progress first! Any tips? I know I definitely did too much looking around as I was worried about failing for observation, the tester got really annoyed at me & told me I was looking for hazards where there were none.
    I've reapplied straight away & put in for a cancellation. Anyone know if ringing is any faster than just the online cancellation option? I can't bear the long wait again!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I'd show the report to your driving instructor and work on them. Progress is normally down to nerves, but you have to keep with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit).

Also testers hate it when you're looking everywhere but where the car is going, so only check mirrors when you're supposed too -aka changing lanes or turning.

Regarding booking a new test I have never used those options so unfortunately I can't be much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Quavers33 wrote: »
    I've reapplied straight away & put in for a cancellation. Anyone know if ringing is any faster than just the online cancellation option? I can't bear the long wait again!

I applied for a cancellation on my test and got an appointment for less than a week later. I wanted it done and out of the away and just passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Quavers33 wrote: »

ya you can ring and if there is something avail they'll give it to you. I was advised to ring after 9.30/10am and you might even get something for that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Had my test appointment in Naas this morning at 10:05. Talk about a disaster - my new tax disc only arrived today, but I had to leave before the postman came by so I had no tax disc. I brought proof of payment of the tax with me, hoping that would be ok, but after doing my technical checks he spotted the disc and then refused to test me at all.

I'm so annoyed - if my appointment had been even one hour later, I would have had the disc with me. I rang up for a cancellation, there's one on Friday but my insurance is out on Thursday so then I wouldn't have my insurance disc. I felt really confident about doing the test too :mad:

What a waste of 85 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Right, four blues for gears...

Who knew, you can't take turns in third gear :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Yeah, for turns you really want to be in second. 3rd will be too fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Craftylee wrote: »
    Yeah, for turns you really want to be in second. 3rd will be too fast :)

There really is no consistency with the test. A friend of mine got 4 blues for turning in 2nd! Examiner said he should of been in 1st! I used 2nd in my test and got no marks for gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Faith+1 wrote: »
    There really is no consistency with the test. A friend of mine got 4 blues for turning in 2nd! Examiner said he should of been in 1st! I used 2nd in my test and got no marks for gears.

If you come to a closed junction you'll usually have to drop to first and roll out to check for cars because you can't see them unless you edge out. You wouldn't be able to go slow enough in 2nd, the engine would stall.

If it's a open yield junction and you can see both ways before turning then you can do it in 2nd. They're testing your ability to read the road.

1st;

a_Junction-Closed.gif

2nd;

a_Junction-Open.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

I think the problem is that they don't differentiate between turning and emerging. Generally if you're turning right or left, i.e. going from a major into a minor road, you can do it in 2nd gear. However if you're turning left/right while emerging from a minor to a major road, you'll generally be in 1st gear, unless its an open junction and you can see that there's nothing coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Great replies guys. Sorry I meant to say he was marked for being in second whilst turning from a major to a minor road. Which is complete crap because he told me the junctions were clear?

I did the finglas route for my test and never got marked for being in second!? Why in gods green earth did the instructor think he needed to be in first when the car was moving fast enough and the junction was clear to turn!?

Felt so sorry for my mate because the rest of the marking sheet only had 2 blues but it was the 4 blues marks for gears killed him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just failed my first attempt. Knew it as I hit the kerb when reversing around the corner but I also had marks for progress as cars passed me out on the straight even though I was at the speed limit. Can you ask the instructor to confirm the speed limit when you turn onto a road with no sign? I think I was going 50 in a 60 zone at one point and that was marked against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Great replies guys. Sorry I meant to say he was marked for being in second whilst turning from a major to a minor road. Which is complete crap because he told me the junctions were clear?

That sounds very strange, and dangerous to go into first when turning off a major road (assuming it wasn't a traffic light). Did he query the result?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Daisies wrote: »
    Just failed my first attempt. Knew it as I hit the kerb when reversing around the corner but I also had marks for progress as cars passed me out on the straight even though I was at the speed limit. Can you ask the instructor to confirm the speed limit when you turn onto a road with no sign? I think I was going 50 in a 60 zone at one point and that was marked against me.
    No speed limit = 80km/h (on a regional road)

What type of road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

No speed limit = 80km/h (on a regional road)

What type of road?

It was in the Clontarf/Raheny area. I know the coast road is 60 but assumed the others were 50 but got marked down on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Daisies wrote: »
    It was in the Clontarf/Raheny area. I know the coast road is 60 but assumed the others were 50 but got marked down on progress.
    That's so annoying. I remember the first test I failed, for the second half he brought me into an industrial estate (perhaps he felt nervous with me behind the wheel). Needless to say, I was completely confused about what speed to drive. I remembered 30km/h signs when driving there before but didn't spot any during the test. Very unnerving.

That's so annoying. I remember the first test I failed, for the second half he brought me into an industrial estate (perhaps he felt nervous with me behind the wheel). Needless to say, I was completely confused about what speed to drive. I remembered 30km/h signs when driving there before but didn't spot any during the test. Very unnerving.

Ya and I know two cars passed me on the coast road but I was right on the speed limit which is super annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

After my non-conducted test last week, I got to do it again on Friday - but failed. Still annoyed at the non-conducted test - I felt so ready for it, and definitely would have done better in it; this week, I was dealing with other, more important stuff so didn't get a chance to think about it and get my head in the game until the night before, forgot all the tips I had picked up and drove absolutely crap in the test. I got 4 grade 2s for clutch as I was coasting, 3 grade 2s for gears and 4 grade 2s for reaction - I'll have to look into that one as I have no idea what I did wrong there.

That was pretty much it but I did get a grade 2 for progress turning right and I know exactly what that was about: turning right coming out of a junction, there was a car coming along from the right so I didn't go, but it ended up crawling along towards me, so I could have gone, but by the time I realised that, it was too chancey to go. It was a bit of a lose-lose situation.

Bit pissed at spending 170 on driving tests in 2 weeks (mind you, I did only get sitting one of them) and I still have no full licence. Gonna take a break now I think and get on it again in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Failed in Tallaght today.

Only got 3 grade 2s and a stupid Grade 3 for going through an amber light even though I was at the white line when it changed, I couldn't have stopped.

Annoyed as I spent money for several weeks insurance on my parents car leading up to today, ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Failed in Naas two weeks ago.

11 grade 2 faults.

First time doing it, reapplied straight away. Was pissed because I also paid €100 for pre-test and using instructors car, but complaining wont do. I would've passed had I gone over the turnabout that morning with my instructor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Peadar2211 wrote: »
    Just failed today for having 7 x's in positioning(3 turning left, 2 on the straight, 1 turning right and 1 on a bend). My instructor and my father keeps telling me my positioning is dire but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm either too far to the left or too far to the right or too close to parked cars or too close to cars on the other side of the road, but I can never tell that I am or not.

I have looked it up before and people have said that you should be a meter or a half a meter from the kerb, others saying that you should be in the center of your lane and I've tried that but always seem to never get it. The weird thing is that during my test I thought I was doing really well and that I was in the center of my lane the whole time and everything else went perfectly. Is there any constructive advice anybody has that might be able to help.

My instructor was said to me several times try to stay a meter from the verge at all times if at all possible. This is your safety position in the road. Obviously in certain circumstances like parked cars you can move out but that's where I try to remain when I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Failed my motorcycle test today, mostly due to being too cautious and excessive use of lifesavers (grade 2s for reaction to hazards) as well as yielding to someone when I had right of way. Also got 2 Grade 2s for gears. No grade 3s though.

Learned a lot from the test though, did a u-turn flawlessly whereas last week I couldn't do one at all and I reacted well to some unexpected hazards so I'm fairly confident I'll pass next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Failed my driving test today - pissing down from the heavens while I did it, and got a couple of left shoulder observations marks against me as a result, as well as, bizarrely, a mark over being too cautious on a hazard (e.g. dropping down to about 20kph to go through a MASSIVE puddle on the Howth Road) which I thought was a bit unfair (but wasn't going to make me magically pass.)

Overall, too nervous as well, so think having tried it once will stand to me. Only problem is that i've rescheduled for a cancellation, but my license is up on the 5th of December - so I need to try and time renewal right, with potentially short notice, and hope that the NDLS doesn't leave me without a fecking license too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Failed finglas was told I was pottering along doing 50 in a 60, which I didn't know the speed limit. Mini roundabouts I was told I just drove over them whereas he wanted me to go around, but I thought it was too narrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

JamboMac wrote: »
    Failed finglas was told I was pottering along doing 50 in a 60, which I didn't know the speed limit. Mini roundabouts I was told I just drove over them whereas he wanted me to go around, but I thought it was too narrow.

Did you do any mock test ?
    Finglas can be tricky as there are few routes with multiple mini-roundabouts, and you are expected to around them.. which means you would have to slow it right down to go around them as much as possible.

Did you do any mock test ?
    Finglas can be tricky as there are few routes with multiple mini-roundabouts, and you are expected to around them.. which means you would have to slow it right down to go around them as much as possible.

No didn't do pretest but got 2 grade 3s on roundabouts and they where all mini, and 3 is dangerous but I wouldn't class that really as dangerous. 1 grade 3 on a yield onto the carriageway at tesco. Know I wouldn't usually of went but thought I could go between these 2 cars and the car behind didn't need to slow down much. About 14 grade 2s and not sure whereabouts I picked them up. Didn't do the reverse around the corner as it was lunch time and he wanted to get back. Part of me thinks another test would have been different. I know the carriageway would be considered dangerous and I would failed on that alone. But as far as observation goes I kept checking my mirrors, I looked into roads before entering but this wasn't noticeable. So I think I'm screwed.

Actually just noticed a post which said testers won't go near your area. The test routes in my area are simple. He took me to an area with mini roundabouts and to me you couldn't drive around without causing an issue. So I'm gonna need to become probably faultless as this will be my test route a lot more times me thinks. Define raised and painted on to me these where painted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Failed in Castlemungret, Limerick an hour ago :(
    12 grade 2s, no grade 3s thankfully.
    Got a few for position turning left and progress on roundabouts.
    Turnabout and left reversal went great so I thought I had it passed then.
    The tester was very nice but I'm absolutely sickened. Not sure whether or not to book another test or get more experience first. I felt so ready for it :(

• Advertisement

Failed in Castlemungret, Limerick an hour ago :(
    12 grade 2s, no grade 3s thankfully.
    Got a few for position turning left and progress on roundabouts.
    Turnabout and left reversal went great so I thought I had it passed then.
    The tester was very nice but I'm absolutely sickened. Not sure whether or not to book another test or get more experience first. I felt so ready for it :(

I Hear ye, my cousin only past coz the tester said he was having a good day, another day you may have passed first time. Sorry for your bad result, in the same boat myself.

Advertisement