Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

JamboMac wrote: »
    I Hear ye, my cousin only past coz the tester said he was having a good day, another day you may have passed first time. Sorry for your bad result, in the same boat myself.

It's so crappy. I had such high hopes about it. While doing the reverse my left mirror was fogged up and rainy but I still managed to do my reverse perfectly and I really thought I had it then. Have you re-booked your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

It's so crappy. I had such high hopes about it. While doing the reverse my left mirror was fogged up and rainy but I still managed to do my reverse perfectly and I really thought I had it then. Have you re-booked your test?
    Not yet only got my provisional back as it had to be renewed might wait to try and do it January rather then in icey conditions, although part of me thinks if I get it soon I won't have the same tester, I don't get how I got no grade ones but got grade 2s and stupid grade 3 for mini roundabout. Nearly feels like some tester grade on a tougher scale or maybe some take an automatic dislike to those they test.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

JamboMac wrote: »
    Not yet only got my provisional back as it had to be renewed might wait to try and do it January rather then in icey conditions, although part of me thinks if I get it soon I won't have the same tester, I don't get how I got no grade ones but got grade 2s and stupid grade 3 for mini roundabout. Nearly feels like some tester grade on a tougher scale or maybe some take an automatic dislike to those they test.

Mini roundabouts are so difficult sometimes! I'm thinking once christmas is over and I have money I'll book it again, not a cancellation booking, because then I'll have 2 months or so to practise and make sure I don't fail again. My tester said at the end hes sure he'll see me again soon so that kinda lifted my spirits a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Mini roundabouts are so difficult sometimes! I'm thinking once christmas is over and I have money I'll book it again, not a cancellation booking, because then I'll have 2 months or so to practise and make sure I don't fail again. My tester said at the end hes sure he'll see me again soon so that kinda lifted my spirits a bit!

Well my tester said to me nothing that can't be fixed but that's so vague, anything with a lot of time can be fixed. I was more angry though closer to the time where I failed, but I have to be honest if I get the same tester the first words out of my mouth may be oh sh!t. I have to say though I practice with my dad and all the the things I got marked down my dad seems to ignore and he goes on about things I got no marks on.

So will be practicing with my brother in law over Christmas, my dad seems to be very nervous and his depth perception seems gone, it's funny how some people act when they are on the left side of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

2nd time Unsuccessful last Tuesday in Naas.

Got a Grade 3, and 10 Grade 2's. Last time I got 11 Grade 2's. Improved on my turnabout and reverse(got 5 of the grade 2's lat time on them), but got absolutely decimated on my turning right! Last time I got 2 grade 2's for cutting the corner turning right so tried to improve but the instructor told me I was too overcautious.

The Grade 3 was for not looking left at a junction, to be honest I totally missed it, as I was in an estate, small error, but justified the Grade 3, would've failed anyway.

As soon as I left the test centre at the start of the test we went into the estate with the small road entrance. Every single turn we did was right,right,right,right.....and every single time, he picked up the tablet, and started to jot down. I was only in the estate 5 minutes and I knew I had failed :(

Absolutely devastated, it seems I have gotten worse at driving :(

Going to give it a rest until after Christmas and not reapply, i've learned that not driving for 2 years has impacted on my confidence behind the wheel, and that trying to pass without actually driving on a regular basis will not work out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

@ Above - worst thing to do is get disheartened and stop, or take a big break from driving. By all means continue after Xmas/NY but if you leave it months and months the chances are you won't pick it back up.

From what you said I would invest in a good few more lessons before booking another test. Just practice everything and gain more confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

FionnK86 wrote: »

Got a Grade 3, and 10 Grade 2's. Last time I got 11 Grade 2's. Improved on my turnabout and reverse(got 5 of the grade 2's lat time on them), but got absolutely decimated on my turning right! Last time I got 2 grade 2's for cutting the corner turning right so tried to improve but the instructor told me I was too overcautious.

The Grade 3 was for not looking left at a junction, to be honest I totally missed it, as I was in an estate, small error, but justified the Grade 3, would've failed anyway.

As soon as I left the test centre at the start of the test we went into the estate with the small road entrance. Every single turn we did was right,right,right,right.....and every single time, he picked up the tablet, and started to jot down. I was only in the estate 5 minutes and I knew I had failed :(

Going to give it a rest until after Christmas and not reapply, i've learned that not driving for 2 years has impacted on my confidence behind the wheel, and that trying to pass without actually driving on a regular basis will not work out for me.

Go back to that estate and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

FionnK86 wrote: »

Don't worry about it.

Took me 3 goes to pass. I did worse in my 2nd test than my first one, and also got nailed on turning right.

Looking back I was far more relaxed going in to my 3rd test than I was for the first two. Obviously you still have to drive competently but I think it was a big factor for why I passed. Chill out and remind yourself life goes on after the test regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Failed yesterday :(:(

But am not too upset about it. When I got the date four weeks ago, I had plans to organise lessons properly, but then a series of unfortunate events - funerals out of country and me getting a bad cold resulted in squashing in as many lessons as possible in a short amount of time.

Anyway, in the short lessons I got, I felt I improved vastly and got more confident. But then yesterday, nerves hit me really badly especially when I had an extra lad from the RSA in the back (does that happen often??)

No grade 3s, got 5 too many Grade 2s and they were all mostly on observation/not throwing my head over my shoulder enough according to the tester (who was sound and very gentle spoken, in fairness)

From peoples experience, does it sound possible that it'll go better on the second time? Say if I practice and have proper time with lessons?
    It was mostly a fault on positioning and right turns.

I found it much easier the second time - because you know the structure of the test and there's no need to be nervous. Just work on the areas that you failed on, (quick shoulder glance when changing lanes as well as the mirror) and you'll be fine for take 2. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Failed in Finglas this morning nerves got the better of me and am currently sick. Just didn't have it on the day really. Made awful silly mistakes such as road position and leaving indicators on unrealisingly so had nobody to blame but myself.

I usually pass my pretests with my instructor who would be fairly strict marking me. So pretty dissapointing display today

I don't think I'll be nervous the next time round as once you do it it isn't so bad but acting on autopilot is. Just gotta steady the nerves peeps any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Failed in Finglas this morning nerves got the better of me and am currently sick. Just didn't have it on the day really. Made awful silly mistakes such as road position and leaving indicators on unrealisingly so had nobody to blame but myself.

I usually pass my pretests with my instructor who would be fairly strict marking me. So pretty dissapointing display today

I don't think I'll be nervous the next time round as once you do it it isn't so bad but acting on autopilot is. Just gotta steady the nerves peeps any suggestions

Hi Neon Lights, sorry to hear that you failed this morning.

With regards to the nerves issue, I would be the same but I was very lucky that the tester I had was friendly and I was able to chat away to him as if he was my instructor. Perhaps next time round try talking to the tester about everything and anything, from the weather to potholes and whether your a student or working, I just chatted away to him and it actually settled my nerves a lot.

In fact, by the time I realised that we were headed back to the centre I was just thinking that it was the fastest 40 minutes of my life.

I hope you are successful next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Failed in Castlemungret in Limerick back in October and have round 2 coming up soon and I'm not even slightly confident about passing. Sick of paying €85 just to be told I'm a bad driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed in Castlemungret in Limerick back in October and have round 2 coming up soon and I'm not even slightly confident about passing. Sick of paying €85 just to be told I'm a bad driver.

Whatever way you can, boost your confidence. Have three or four refresher lessons in the weeks running up to your test. Get a good instructor who you feel comfortable with.

You've been there before, so you know the drill during the test. I'm sure there were boxes on your sheet that had no ticks, so you are doing something right.
    As I keep saying here, I failed 5 times before finally passing, but every time I failed, I re-applied that same day and kept at it.

A large factor is your mental attitude, so do what you can to get more positive before the test. Good luck, because there is a certain amount of luck goes with it on the day.

spurious wrote: »
    Whatever way you can, boost your confidence. Have three or four refresher lessons in the weeks running up to your test. Get a good instructor who you feel comfortable with.

You've been there before, so you know the drill during the test. I'm sure there were boxes on your sheet that had no ticks, so you are doing something right.
    As I keep saying here, I failed 5 times before finally passing, but every time I failed, I re-applied that same day and kept at it.

A large factor is your mental attitude, so do what you can to get more positive before the test. Good luck, because there is a certain amount of luck goes with it on the day.

I'll be fine. I just keep telling myself that it's not the end of the world and nobody will judge me on how many attempts it took since people have better things to be doing with their time :pac:

I know I'm not a bad driver and I'm way better than before, but it bothers me that so much of it is down to how the tester feels on the day as well as their own personal opinions. I've one more lesson before the test and tomorrow will be spent just driving. After that, all I can do is pray :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

FFS, 3rd test today. I swear, each time I take the test it is something completely different that I fail on. I feel like giving up and just getting a bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭irishfemme

So I had my test in tallaght and failed. I didn't even get to do the test!!!drove for about 5 mins when an incident occurred. Apparently, i didnt react to hazard! told me to turn back and that was it. so €85 gone! just like that!. 2nd time doing the test, my 1st was when i just started driving, I knew I wasn't going to pass it, I needed that to renew my license. I am not sure if I should apply for one straight away, my instructor mentioned I was one of the best drivers he had thought in recent times, unfortunately, it wasn't my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

irishfemme wrote: »
    drove for about 5 mins when an incident occurred. Apparently, i didnt react to hazard! told me to turn back and that was it.

Um...I really don't think testers are supposed to do that. I was under the impression that, even if a grade 3 fail occurs early on, the test is supposed to continue to completion so that the candidate can be examined on ALL aspects of their driving. I'm not positive, but I believe this so the candidate can be provided with a more detailed report at the end of the test. If you think about it, how else would a candidate know which aspects of their driving need to be improved upon if they aren't given a full driving test? Maybe, in extreme instances, terminating the test early might seem justified if the tester felt that his or her life were in danger, but this is surely the exception rather than the rule?
    Again, I could be wrong, but I'd look into this a bit further if I were you.

Yes, I understand you. What happened was about 4 stops to a traffic light to the left, I indicated and the car in front of me indicated. I was following the flow of traffic, but the car in front of me stop!, his indication was to stop and not to turn left! you shouldn't be stopping or parking your car by a junction. Anyways, i stopped behind him and indicated to pull out, i looked at my blind stop, the car behind me slowed down and i wanted to proceed, just to see he wanted to overtake me too. so i stopped and waited for him to go, before i proceeded!..all messy situation though. Neways, I have re-booked the test, Hope my luck is better the next time.
    Um...I really don't think testers are supposed to do that. I was under the impression that, even if a grade 3 fail occurs early on, the test is supposed to continue to completion so that the candidate can be examined on ALL aspects of their driving. I'm not positive, but I believe this so the candidate can be provided with a more detailed report at the end of the test. If you think about it, how else would a candidate know which aspects of their driving need to be improved upon if they aren't given a full driving test? Maybe, in extreme instances, terminating the test early might seem justified if the tester felt that his or her life were in danger, but this is surely the exception rather than the rule?
    Again, I could be wrong, but I'd look into this a bit further if I were you.

They can end a test if they consider the driving too dangerous to continue - however they normally get out and walk back to the centre. In this case it sounded like that happened and I guess it was raining and he wanted a lift back?

• Advertisement

Ffs seriously -_- 2 grades 2s and a grade 3 screwed me. What's worse is that the prick even said he was debating giving it to me since it was borderline. WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT.

Even told my instructor after it and explained exactly what happened and where it happened and he was livid saying it should've just been a grade 2. Assholes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Failed two hours ago :mad::(:(
    Got one grade 3 at Raheny at Watermill Road turning right, checked mirrors, signal crept out mix of low sun and parked cars obscuring my vision thought I was ok until a silver car racing from the left beeped me only a minute in so annoyed with that road you nearly have to come out onto the road to see whats coming. 12 grade 2 mix of gears and anticipation to hazards. Reverse, turnabout, hillstart and the rest fine. Get so disheartened all you want to do is stop feicing driving I hate it doing this is like a noose around my neck every year but I guess just have to get up and keep on going gets so frustrating though. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

miss choc wrote: »
    Failed two hours ago :mad::(:(
    Got one grade 3 at Raheny at Watermill Road turning right, checked mirrors, signal crept out mix of low sun and parked cars obscuring my vision thought I was ok until a silver car racing from the left beeped me only a minute in so annoyed with that road you nearly have to come out onto the road to see whats coming. 12 grade 2 mix of gears and anticipation to hazards. Reverse, turnabout, hillstart and the rest fine. Get so disheartened all you want to do is stop feicing driving I hate it doing this is like a noose around my neck every year but I guess just have to get up and keep on going gets so frustrating though. :(:(

Keep your chin up and try again.
    When you pass (and you *will* pass), it'll be even sweeter.
    Took me 3 goes to do it on that same route, and each time I felt I was well capable, but I felt I got done on unlucky incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Done in Waterford this morning. 14 Grade 2's and 4 Grade 1's. Lost the head before I went out. Done in the instructors car and panicked when I could not turn on the rear fog lights and beams. Went downhill from there.

Very hesitant. These things happen. It takes one little thing to affect you.

Cancellation booked in so time to get back on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Failed in Rathgar today, 10 grade twos. I thought the tester was awful, I got one of the road sign questions wrong in the test centre and he was really sarcastic about it, and it was downhill from there. I thought I had driven well enough to pass and my instructor was sure I would but I guess I'll apply again today.
    Can't wait til I pass and I don't have to spend every car journey having my driving critiqued from the passenger seat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I failed my first test with 10 blues and passed on Friday with only one.

This might seem obvious but these are the main things that helped me through it:
    1) Have fairly regular lessons with an instructor. It stops you developing bad habits.
    2) Remind yourself that you can do it as many times as you need to. This was a major help with me. The first time, I convinced myself I needed to pass and got worked up. Second time, I had more of a "ah feck it" attitude which made me a lot more relaxed.
    3) Make your observations very exaggerated so they know you're taking observations. Every time you're stopped, check around you. Look over your shoulder when changing lane or moving off.

There's a fair amount of luck involved but if you keep at it, you can do it. I was convinced I'd take multiple tries to do it but things turned out well. If I can do it, anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Failed in Rahney... Zero grade 2s 1 grade three. Clipped a curb near Saint annes park in a housing estate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Mwah wrote: »
    Failed in Rahney... Zero grade 2s 1 grade three. Clipped a curb near Saint annes park in a housing estate :(

Gah! Unlucky, but get back on the horse and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Gah! Unlucky, but get back on the horse and try again.

Thanks. I made the mistake of giving up last time, but as soon as I got in I booked for a cancellation! I just want to pass badly :(

• Advertisement

irishfemme wrote: »
    So I had my test in tallaght and failed. I didn't even get to do the test!!!drove for about 5 mins when an incident occurred. Apparently, i didnt react to hazard! told me to turn back and that was it. so €85 gone! just like that!. 2nd time doing the test, my 1st was when i just started driving, I knew I wasn't going to pass it, I needed that to renew my license. I am not sure if I should apply for one straight away, my instructor mentioned I was one of the best drivers he had thought in recent times, unfortunately, it wasn't my day.

I took my test again on the 30th and passed.

Advertisement