Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

failed today.

11 grade two.

three for signalling when turning and changing lanes and three and three for not leaving enough space for a door to open on cars when parked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

Got 8 grade 2's, all on observation but no other faults. I've no idea what happened, I always check my blind spots changing lanes and exiting roundabouts etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

deink wrote: »
    Got 8 grade 2's, all on observation but no other faults. I've no idea what happened, I always check my blind spots changing lanes and exiting roundabouts etc?

did you check your mirrors before taking off after stopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Did the tester give any verbal feedback at the end? I'm sure they would have explained the cause of the faults then

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

did you check your mirrors before taking off after stopping?
    There's a separate section on the fail sheet for mirrors, would I not have gotten marks there instead?
    Craftylee wrote: »
    Did the tester give any verbal feedback at the end? I'm sure they would have explained the cause of the faults then
    Yeah he did, they were really weird things he picked up on though, one x was for not checking my rearview mirror when I was moving off from traffic lights first in the queue, another was for looking left "2 seconds too early " while going through a junction in an estate at very low speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Genuinely dismayed to find myself posting in here. Failed after what I genuinely thought was a pass, for looking over my shoulder to check my blind spot (5x grade 2) when merging or if there's a cycle lane. Don't really know what to do now. Figured the tester was cranky when during technical checks they interrupted my response with "that wasn't what I asked you" and phrased the question a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Pidge96 wrote: »
    Genuinely dismayed to find myself posting in here. Failed after what I genuinely thought was a pass, for looking over my shoulder to check my blind spot (5x grade 2) when merging or if there's a cycle lane. Don't really know what to do now. Figured the tester was cranky when during technical checks they interrupted my response with "that wasn't what I asked you" and phrased the question a different way.
    It's really disheartening. Just keep at it. Yeah, the tester could be in a bad mood, they're only human after all. Once you pass you never have to do it again!

Pidge96 wrote: »

Sucks but here's some advice for it. When stationary you do a full shoulder check when pulling away with mirrors. When you're moving, you need to do a quick glance towards your shoulder along with the mirrors, basically look out the front passenger window. It's considered bad form looking away from the road when moving for a "extended period", if you're moving and twisting in your seat looking out the back passenger window for a blind spot check that would nearly be considered a red mark imo.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Well I've just failed for the third time in Rathgar and the exact same instructor each time, how unlucky is that!

Last time I was told I was driving too slow, this time I was too fast he said! 8 grade 1's, 11 grade 2's! I honestly think I drove really well, I felt really confident and was convinced I'd passed this time, it's really frustrating, I've been driving for 5 years now, I did 2 pre-tests last week, and was told I should be fine! :-(

Should I apply for somewhere other than Rathgar!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Well I've just failed for the third time in Rathgar and the exact same instructor each time, how unlucky is that!

Last time I was told I was driving too slow, this time I was too fast he said! 8 grade 1's, 11 grade 2's! I honestly think I drove really well, I felt really confident and was convinced I'd passed this time, it's really frustrating, I've been driving for 5 years now, I did 2 pre-tests last week, and was told I should be fine! :-(

Do you have a driving instructor? if not maybe get a good one for a few lessons and see what they say, if you already have one then maybe try a new one to get a different opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Request a new tester. I know someone who had the same awful tester twice, failing both times. A new tester was called in, and he passed no bother.

As per the RSA's website if you keep failing under a certain tester they will ensure that you have a new one on subsequent tests. After 3 I'm sure this will kick in now - best of luck!

Galadriel wrote: »
    Do you have a driving instructor? if not maybe get a good one for a few lessons and see what they say, if you already have one then maybe try a new one to get a different opinion.

I've no instructor, I just did a few pre-tests with someone from ISM who lives around that area, he was really helpful and I do think I followed all of his advice but obviously not well enough.
    Rasmus wrote: »
    Request a new tester. I know someone who had the same awful tester twice, failing both times. A new tester was called in, and he passed no bother.
    Craftylee wrote: »
    As per the RSA's website if you keep failing under a certain tester they will ensure that you have a new one on subsequent tests. After 3 I'm sure this will kick in now - best of luck!

I hope so, but if it's happened 3 times already how can I be sure it won't happen a fourth??

It's just a bit frustrating because I did genuinely feel I drove really well, he marked me for not overtaking a bus, I personally didn't think I had the room and wouldn't have tried it even if he wasn't in the car, he told me I should have went! Then he said when we were driving through an estate on a long straight road, there were 3 cars well spaced apart, I drove in and out of them, he said I should have just pulled out and driven straight down the middle of the road because I could see it was clear, so again it's very frustrating because that's his opinion of how to drive, I was in driving test mode and trying to concentrate on doing everything correctly!

To be honest the weaving in and out of cars in the estate sounds a bit dangerous. There could have been kids in the gaps. You may have been too cautious about the bus.
    Just thinking though, if you haven't had instruction c as n you be really sure you are driving well?
    As far as the tester goes, you have to ring them and ask. They won't do it automatically.

To be honest the weaving in and out of cars in the estate sounds a bit dangerous. There could have been kids in the gaps. You may have been too cautious about the bus.
    Just thinking though, if you haven't had instruction c as n you be really sure you are driving well?
    As far as the tester goes, you have to ring them and ask. They won't do it automatically.

I had 2 pre-tests in the last week and both times the instructor told me I would do fine and that my driving was fine. I didn't weave in and out of the cars, there were huge gaps from one car to the next, I didn't think it made sense to drive down the middle of the road when I could easily just drive on my side, it was far from dangerous! As for the bus I clearly was too cautious for this guy, I think I'll just book another test centre just to make sure I don't have him again!!

I had 2 pre-tests in the last week and both times the instructor told me I would do fine and that my driving was fine. I didn't weave in and out of the cars, there were huge gaps from one car to the next, I didn't think it made sense to drive down the middle of the road when I could easily just drive on my side, it was far from dangerous! As for the bus I clearly was too cautious for this guy, I think I'll just book another test centre just to make sure I don't have him again!!

I have heard that Rathgar is terrible to test in.

I can testify to that! I think I'll book Wicklow, I've heard a few people say the roads are usually pretty quiet, fingers crossed, again!!

I can testify to that! I think I'll book Wicklow, I've heard a few people say the roads are usually pretty quiet, fingers crossed, again!!

They're not quiet, but I think Wicklow has a good pass rate. Scratch that! It's 48% !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Failed in Rathgar about 2 years too, haven't tried it since. I might try do it down the country next time.
    Pass rate is mostly higher down the country:
    http://rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Failed in Rathgar about 2 years too, haven't tried it since. I might try do it down at home in Carlow next time.
    Pass rate is mostly higher down the country:
    http://rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

It's a bit mad that there's almost a 30% difference between Rathgar and some of the other centres. You'd be mad to do it there knowing that.

• Advertisement

Ranchu wrote: »
    It's a bit mad that there's almost a 30% difference between Rathgar and some of the other centres. You'd be mad to do it there knowing that.

It's the closest one to me and I have a good idea of the roads but I agree, I won't be going back to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Hi would like opinions please! Took my test last week in Rathgar and failed. Tester was fair, I just let my nerves get to me and lost confidence.. Got 1 red when I stopped observing to my right when reversing around the corner (went wide and panicked!!) and 8 grade 2's. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have pelvic pain which prob didn't help my frame of mind. Am feeling a bit gutted to be honest cos I've a spent a lot of money on lessons and test. Don't have my own car so had to pay for school car. My options are wait and take test again after baby is born or sign up for a cancellation in the next couple of weeks. I'm also wondering if I should apply to do the test in Tallaght instead? Any opinions would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

One grade 3 and 6 grade 2.... Gutted.. I knew I shouldn't have taken the right but still took it. Hence the grade 3. I knew I should not , hence I am more disapointed as I was almost there since 6 grade 2, I could have passed in first attempt. I m really disapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kknitter wrote: »
    One grade 3 and 6 grade 2.... Gutted.. I knew I shouldn't have taken the right but still took it. Hence the grade 3. I knew I should not , hence I am more disapointed as I was almost there since 6 grade 2, I could have passed in first attempt. I m really disapointed.

It sounds like nerves just got the better of you! Apply again as soon as possible and get it passed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Failed first time in Cork (Wilton) today with 11 grade 2s, 5 of which I picked up by messing up the reverse around the corner (3 for observation [not doing head check when I moved forward to straighten up to avoid hitting the kerb], 1 for right of way [didn't stop when there was someone coming] and 1 for not doing it competently).

It was quite a large and sweeping corner which is also on a bit of a hill:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.881432,-8.523793,3a,75y,144.79h,79.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHct21DDZoYjpEZff0Td2NA!2e0

The route was left on exiting the test centre, 2nd exit straight ahead on Sarsfield road roundabout, 1st exit to the left on Wilton roundabout and then turned right up Wilton avenue from the Bishopstown road where I drove around the estates there and did all the manoeuvres.

Then back on the Bishopstown road to the Wilton roundabout where I took the second exit straight ahead to Glasheen and drove around that area before I was taken back on the Glasheen road to the Wilton roundabout, 1st exit to left and back to test centre from there.

All in all, nothing particularly tricky about the route except the corner I had to reverse around.

I thought the tester was very fair and gave good feedback. She recommended I apply again shortly as it wasn't a bad test overall but the bad reverse around the corner did me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Failed first time in Cork (Wilton) today with 11 grade 2s, 5 of which I picked up by messing up the reverse around the corner (3 for observation [not doing head check when I moved forward to straighten up to avoid hitting the kerb], 1 for right of way [didn't stop when there was someone coming] and 1 for not doing it competently).

It was quite a large and sweeping corner which is also on a bit of a hill:

The route was left on exiting the test centre, 2nd exit straight ahead on Sarsfield road roundabout, 1st exit to the left on Wilton roundabout and then turned right up Wilton avenue from the Bishopstown road where I drove around the estates there and did all the manoeuvres.

Then back on the Bishopstown road to the Wilton roundabout where I took the second exit straight ahead to Glasheen and drove around that area before I was taken back on the Glasheen road to the Wilton roundabout, 1st exit to left and back to test centre from there.

All in all, nothing particularly tricky about the route except the corner I had to reverse around.

I thought the tester was very fair and gave good feedback. She recommended I apply again shortly as it wasn't a bad test overall but the bad reverse around the corner did me in.
    Deffo apply ASAP. I got a similar result to you (10 blues) on my first try and passed a month later with only one mistake.

You're very close to passing so second time lucky, way better than leaving it for a while and developing bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

11 grade 2's in finglas as far as I know nobody passed.

I thought I did good but, really feeling demotivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

JamboMac wrote: »
    11 grade 2's in finglas as far as I know nobody passed.

I thought I did good but, really feeling demotivated.

Re-apply straight away. Don't give up, it's a horrible feeling failing but don't dwindle on it.

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Better be third time lucky, have applied for a cancellation. At what point does your test end as I got one grade 2 for parking.

For future reference to anybody, I considered the test over when I entered Jamestown industrial estate and I got a grade 2 for parking.

So to anybody the test doesn't end till your back at the desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Failed it in October, was very disappointed. I wasn't a great fan of my driving instructor
    he shouted at me a lot and every lesson just felt like an endurance test. The morning of the
    test I did a pretest with him and it was the worst thing I could have done if i'm honest...
    Walked into the test centre and my tester asked me straight away was it my first time
    and stupid me said Yeah..from there on he asked me 2 questions 2 signs and we went to
    the car. He asked me no secondary controls and nothing about the bonnet etc. I think
    I failed the minute I said yeah if im honest...

Advertisement