Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Phone them at 9am tomorrow JamboMac, don't wait for them to contact you. I got a cancellation within two weeks by phoning every other morning at that time. 10 grade twos in my first test in Finglas and three the following week, if I can do it you can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 opitestgal

Failed today :( got 12 grade 2s and 7 grade 1s! With regards to the grade 2s
    I got 3 for observation when changing lane.
    1 for position turning right. 2 for gears.
    1 for both footbrake and handbrake.
    1 for progress turning right, 1 for speed turning left and 1 for speed at traffic controls.

Feel like I've messed up across the board. My left leg shaked from the moment I got into the car, found it tough to even move off on flat my leg was shaking so much. Really annoyed as my focus became my leg shaking and not my driving!

Not sure what to do now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

First of all sorry to hear. Second all the grade 3 I hope you basically know what you did and whereabouts it was, so just practice them and say they won't happen again. You probably need to practice more on the mechanical side of driving I.e gears brake and so on, don't worry about it 2 much. I had passed mine this week until I messed up 3 times in the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

opitestgal wrote: »
    Failed today :( got 12 grade 2s and 7 grade 3s! With regards to the grade 2s
    I got 3 for observation when changing lane.
    1 for position turning right. 2 for gears.
    1 for both footbrake and handbrake.
    1 for progress turning right, 1 for speed turning left and 1 for speed at traffic controls.

Feel like I've messed up across the board. My left leg shaked from the moment I got into the car, found it tough to even move off on flat my leg was shaking so much. Really annoyed as my focus became my leg shaking and not my driving!

Not sure what to do now? :(

Sorry to hear. Trust me we've all been there, My left leg was shaking throughout my test too! It's only nerves! All you can do is learn from your mistakes, get some more practice and re-apply.

You'll be grand! :)

Thanks for advice! I meant 7 grade 1s!
    Is there anything I can do to stop the leg shaking?
    It's never happened on lessons/protests or driving accompanied! It prevented me from comfortably getting biting point even on flat! Never happened me before this! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

My left leg shook as well for my reverse around the corner during my first test, my instructor told me it was probably a trapped nerve from constant tension holding the clutch. He showed me a trick to get it back to normal, press the clutch right down ,heel as close to the floor as is safe, and accelerate a tiny bit before bringing the clutch out again.
    I would see the fact that your issues are across the board as a positive thing, probably means you need to get a bit more road experience generally with an experienced driver in the passenger seat. A calm person could tell you what to look out for when changing lanes and after a few goes with them as your second pair of eyes you would be able to do it without guidance. The week of my test my dad came with me but would only give me guidance if I were really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Thanks for advice! I meant 7 grade 1s!
    Is there anything I can do to stop the leg shaking?
    It's never happened on lessons/protests or driving accompanied! It prevented me from comfortably getting biting point even on flat! Never happened me before this! :(

7 grade 1's are nothing to worry about. You can get a million of these and they still won't affect the test result. I was exactly like you, I had no problems with lessons/pre-tests but the test was a new kettle of fish!

I think it's more physiological than anything else, the fact you know everything you've been working towards is now on the line and you're afraid of even making one mistake! Sure I hit the curb on the reverse, I thought that was a grade 3 but I just thought fcuk it! I asked could I try it again, he agreed and I aced it!

Ended up passing the test with only a grade 2 for hitting the curb! Plus a few others so I think I got 5 grade 2's, 3 grade 1's...

I could recommend 'Rescue Remedy'. You can buy it over the counter in any pharmacy. It comes in two versions, spray and drops.
    Some of my friends swear by it so it must be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DaraTobin041

Can anyone explain what's grade 1 grade 2 grade 3 in the test. What does passing the test go on grade 1,2,3 or does the instructor say your good enough.

Can anyone explain what's grade 1 grade 2 grade 3 in the test. What does passing the test go on grade 1,2,3 or does the instructor say your good enough.

Grade ones and twos are subjective to the tester, their is no real explanation on them at all. Grade 3 are something which is classed as dangerous.

Grade ones all you want, grade two no more than 8 and a grade 3 is a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Grade 1s are minor mistakes: these don't affect your overall result so you can get loads and still pass.
    Grade 2s are moderate mistakes: Things like not changing gear quickly, coasting etc. You can get 8 of these overall and still pass, 4 of the same thing or 6 in the same category.
    Grade 3s are major mistakes: driving the wrong way, running a red light etc. Getting one of these is an instant fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is the official report that the tester will be marking during your test. It shows all of the things that the tester will be marking you on. He'll have the report on a tablet in his hand. He won't be writing anything down. Don't be put off if you see him touching his screen, as he may be noting that you did something correctly.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Report-Form.php

Grade ones/green marks are minor driving transgressions. Grade two/blue marks are more serious. You can get 8 overall and still pass. Once you get number 9, you have failed. If you get 6 grade two marks in one category, or four in a row, you have failed. If you get a grade three/red mark it is an automatic fail, even if you have no other marks for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Just after failing in Thurles for the second time.
    First test got 6 grade 2s (4 for foot brake).
    Second test got 9 grade 2s. Thought I'd passed the first but the second was a nightmare run. Every hazard imagineable seemed to be on the road trying to stop me passing and I was surprised how close I got to passing in the end. It has made me very disillusioned by the whole system. I would love any advice if anyone has any.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Second time, orals test went fine, we go to car - asked to open bonnet, show and tell everything, asked to close bonnet. Bonnet wouldnt close. tried few times no luck. I had opend and closed it just few mins before the test and worked fine.
    It woulnt close in front of the examiner. so health and safety hence cant go ahead with test. Come out from the test center with the piece of paper, try clsoing the bonnet and it closed :mad::mad::mad:
    Have to rebook and pay again.
    am so mad at this... just such a bad luckkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Header15 wrote: »
    Just after failing in Thurles for the second time.
    First test got 6 grade 2s (4 for foot brake).
    Second test got 9 grade 2s. Thought I'd passed the first but the second was a nightmare run. Every hazard imagineable seemed to be on the road trying to stop me passing and I was surprised how close I got to passing in the end. It has made me very disillusioned by the whole system. I would love any advice if anyone has any.

Did your tester give you any specific feedback on what you were doing wrong with your foot break and your reaction to hazards? Or do know yourself where you went wrong? It's hard to give you any useful advise with so little information. The hazards could be that he thought you weren't being observant enough to see them and react to them, or he thought you were driving to fast to react to them in time, or that he thought your reaction to them was incorrect. Or it could be something else entirely.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Did your tester give you any specific feedback on what you were doing wrong with your foot break and your reaction to hazards? Or do know yourself where you went wrong? It's hard to give you any useful advise with so little information. The hazards could be that he thought you weren't being observant enough to see them and react to them, or he thought you were driving to fast to react to them in time, or that he thought your reaction to them was incorrect. Or it could be something else entirely.

I sorted the footbrake problem and got no faults for that second time around.

The hazards included lorries loading in the middle of the street and a man going on his wheelchair who I passed out, he said I was too hesitant. Hopefully third time lucky 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

I sorted the footbrake problem and got no faults for that second time around.

The hazards included lorries loading in the middle of the street and a man going on his wheelchair who I passed out, he said I was too hesitant. Hopefully third time lucky 😞

What was your problem with the footbrake, if you don't mind me asking? Best of luck with the next test!

He said I was going too quickly up to stop lines and so was using the foot brake too harshly - my instructor or my pre-tester never identified me having a problem here so was very annoyed.

Thanks a million for the support, hopefully third time lucky!

He said I was going too quickly up to stop lines and so was using the foot brake too harshly - my instructor or my pre-tester never identified me having a problem here so was very annoyed.

Thanks a million for the support, hopefully third time lucky!

Just to give ye all a bit of hope, it was third time lucky! If I can do it, anyone can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

Got 6 grade 2's and 1 grade 3, accidentally broke a red light on a roundabout. I went through 2 sets of green traffic lights on it, needed to go to the outermost lane so started trying to move to it and as I was checking my blind spot I looked up and saw a 3rd set of red traffic lights lol. Other than that I drove alright, tester said my observations were good and I was a pretty competent driver. Trying to reapply ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Failed my second test today. I got 6 grade 2s for being in the wrong gear while driving around a housing estate! (Was told by my instructor to stay in second gear due to all the speed bumps, but the tester said I should have been in third and it showed a lack of progress). Reapplied again today and I picked a cancellation test. Does anyone know how long you would usually be waiting for these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

babynice wrote: »
    Reapplied again today and I picked a cancellation test. Does anyone know how long you would usually be waiting for these?

Ring them, you'll get one faster

Just failed another driving test. I have sat it three times now and failed each one, seem to be getting progressively worse. I go to absolute pieces when I sit the test - instructors and family all say I'm driving perfectly well. However I turn into a bag of nerves when it comes to the test and make mistakes I never normally would.
    I feel like giving up, feel so disheartned... :(:'(

Just failed another driving test. I have sat it three times now and failed each one, seem to be getting progressively worse. I go to absolute pieces when I sit the test - instructors and family all say I'm driving perfectly well. However I turn into a bag of nerves when it comes to the test and make mistakes I never normally would.

I felt like giving up if I didn't pass my third test luckily I did and it was the only test I actually had any nerves for and felt like I drove better in my previous test. Practice your routes as I'm sure you now a few and maybe pretend your a taxi driver and it's not a test your just driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Do not give up!! My sister has failed her test 3 times as well she is the exact same I have never been in the car with a better driver but the MINUTE she gets into the car with the tester she just turns into a bag of nerves and does the same. She gets way too cautious and caught up on things that never ever gave her a problem before..she is so bad that my mam was wondering if the docters could give her something to take to calm her down before the test..my mam was saying this to me this morning in the car talking about how she needs to just calm down when we got a phone call from the sister in question saying she passed 4th time lucky!! If she can do it anyone can!! My mam passed on her 4th time too..the fact your so cautious just shows how good of a driver you are do not give up! I have my own test on Wednesday, failed first time, now with the added pressure of her passing today of course Im nervous but if I fail I can reapply just like you can! Reapply now and just go for it- im praying for ye!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CodyZz

I failed today in Finglas.. the tester didn't mark anything for a long time, then when reversing around a corner this car came up behind me, I stopped, the other car pulled over for a couple of minutes, engine was still on, the tester said I should continue with the reverse, and when that guy saw me reversing again, he started the car in full speed and passed near me almost hitting my car. I panicked, pulled the car towards the kerb and got on it ( I think that is a 3 instantly and automatic failure ).
    Tester told me to apply for a cancellation, that is just what I did since I need my license by the 11th of July ( hope that there will be an opening for me ). He was a really good guy, so I won't blame him for anything, I blame the driver in the VW and also me for panicking ( even though a lot of people would have reacted the same I believe ).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

CodyZz wrote: »
    I failed today in Finglas.. the tester didn't mark anything for a long time, then when reversing around a corner this car came up behind me, I stopped, the other car pulled over for a couple of minutes, engine was still on, the tester said I should continue with the reverse, and when that guy saw me reversing again, he started the car in full speed and passed near me almost hitting my car. I panicked, pulled the car towards the kerb and got on it ( I think that is a 3 instantly and automatic failure ).
    Tester told me to apply for a cancellation, that is just what I did since I need my license by the 11th of July ( hope that there will be an opening for me ). He was a really good guy, so I won't blame him for anything, I blame the driver in the VW and also me for panicking ( even though a lot of people would have reacted the same I believe ).

There is some shower of pricks driving on the road who are pig ignorant towards learner drivers.

Got a new date, Raheny center for the 10th of July, same time , 10:05. Hopefully I'll be more lucky this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

phatkev wrote: »
    Ring them, you'll get one faster

Does that really work? If I worked in a centre I'd be inclined to make a person wait if they were ringing up the whole time

I got a very nice guy today, that helped me out with a date for next week. They told me that the policy is to wait for 3 weeks after failing, but I rang them yesterday, and today, since I need a car before the 11th of July due to getting a great offer outside of Dublin for work. If you ring them, they will surely help you out, if you really need it that is. Nobody insists that much on the phone if they don't really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

CodyZz wrote: »
    I got a very nice guy today, that helped me out with a date for next week. They told me that the policy is to wait for 3 weeks after failing, but I rang them yesterday, and today, since I need a car before the 11th of July due to getting a great offer outside of Dublin for work. If you ring them, they will surely help you out, if you really need it that is. Nobody insists that much on the phone if they don't really need it.

Never heard about that policy before. I just emailed them straight after failing mine and said I needed to do it for work and I had a new date barely a week after.

Advertisement