Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Failed in Sligo yesterday.
    First time I ever hit the kerb and I do it yesterday! Automatic fail.
    To make things worse, I got the guy thats well known for being a d!ck and looking at the the breakdown I got sent today I would have passed!!
    Ah well, next time I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Failed in Sligo yesterday.
    First time I ever hit the kerb and I do it yesterday! Automatic fail.
    To make things worse, I got the guy thats well known for being a d!ck and looking at the the breakdown I got sent today I would have passed!!
    Ah well, next time I guess!

You must have mounted the kerb, hitting it's only a grade 2.Hard luck :( Reapply straight away, if that was the only fault, you're well able to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CodyZz

Test got cancelled for Friday in Raheny, got new one setup in Finglas for Saturday. Wasn't expecting for the RSA test centers to be working on Saturday, so hope I'll have better luck in the afternoon then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CodyZz wrote: »
    Test got cancelled for Friday in Raheny, got new one setup in Finglas for Saturday. Wasn't expecting for the RSA test centers to be working on Saturday, so hope I'll have better luck in the afternoon then.

No bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mixomatosis

Had my first attempt at a driving test today, and failed.

One of the first 5 or 6 turns was a right turn at a t-junction (housing estate) and I made a noob mistake. It was a semi closed junction, clear on the right, cars parked obscuring view to the left. I didn't peep and creep, and was sure that the way was clear to the left.

As I pulled out to take my right turn, a car was indeed very close by, approaching from the left. There was no collision, but it was a little closer than I would have liked. This was the primary reason for my failure, I believe.

I am a confident driver and largely very safe, and when I think about it now I don't understand why I made such a basic error (resulting in a dangerous situation).

What I do know is that I skipped lunch today (didn't think to eat) and was probably hungry / tired. I was parched as I started the test too!

So, my pro-tip to anyone reading this and taking their test any time soon:

Have a good nights sleep before the day, eat well and make sure you're well watered before the test begins!

Gonna try again as soon as I can. Pretty confident I'll pass on attempt #2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Good advice. Sounds like you know where you went wrong and what you need to fix. Best of luck in the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

Have my test coming up soon hoping this be third time lucky. Doing mine in gorey anyone done there's in pass how ya find it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

Had my driving test today. Pre questions went fine, pretty sure I got them all right.. Engine was fine..Did the checks for the brake lights/indicators/secondary controls all sound..

Feeling confident, pulled off.

Before I left the test centre I hear, "Stop".

ABS light on the dash.. Instant fail.. I didn't mind messing up the driving.. But never having even attempted the test .. I'm absolutely gutted.. Don't think I'll be able to face the car for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

therambler wrote: »
    Had my driving test today. Pre questions went fine, pretty sure I got them all right.. Engine was fine..Did the checks for the brake lights/indicators/secondary controls all sound..

Feeling confident, pulled off.

Before I left the test centre I hear, "Stop".

ABS light on the dash.. Instant fail.. I didn't mind messing up the driving.. But never having even attempted the test .. I'm absolutely gutted.. Don't think I'll be able to face the car for a few days

Hard luck, better luck next time, I had things like this fail a couple of days before the test and luckily got them replaced in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Very confident of passing. Ran a red light (it came out of nowhere honestly) within a minute of getting in the car. I hate you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Austria! wrote: »
    Very confident of passing. Ran a red light (it came out of nowhere honestly) within a minute of getting in the car. I hate you all.

Red lights do not come out of nowhere. There is a flashing amber one beforehand that you should be stopping for unless it is unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Red lights do not come out of nowhere. There is a flashing amber one beforehand that you should be stopping for unless it is unsafe.

A flashing Amber one comes before a green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Do you need to have a full licence driver with you when arriving at the test centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Do you need to have a full licence driver with you when arriving at the test centre

Not unless there is an open window with the instructors looking out at you as you drive in. I didn't have in my 3 attempts and I was never asked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

Was it at the Sarsfield roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Car drivers with a learner permit must be accompanied at all times by, and be under the supervision of, someone with a current driving licence for a car. Also, the person accompanying you must have had the driving licence for at least 2 years. (citizensinformation.ie)

You're taking a chance driving without it,I've was asked who I drove to the test centre with before the test 3 times. If you get into the centre, don't say you drove alone, last thing you want to be doing is piss off the tester.

Took the the test for the first time this morning in Kilkenny and had 18 Grade 2s. Mostly on observation when turning right or left without looking at the road I'm going into. A bit gutted but I know what I need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

greyc wrote: »
    A flashing Amber one comes before a green light.

Not in Ireland it doesn't. The sequence you're talking about is the UK system.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

A piece of advice for any drivers with long hair. My friend wore her hair in a ponytail so it was obvious when her head was turning when checking mirrors.

Perhaps long ear rings might do the same.

Every little helps I suppose.

Took the the test for the first time this morning in Kilkenny and had 18 Grade 2s. Mostly on observation when turning right or left without looking at the road I'm going into. A bit gutted but I know what I need to work on.

edit - got the e-mail and it was 15 Grade 2s not 18. If I can sort out the clutch and observations when turning I should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mixomatosis

Failed second time today.

The 2nd turn into the test (T junction where All Saints Drive meets Watermill rd - goo.gl/z11e62) I didn't peep and creep. I slowed down too late and had to emergency stop, as there was traffic coming from the left.

This was a Grade 3, and no longer than 5 minutes into my test I had failed.

Even worse, this was exactly the same junction that I got a Grade 3 at the last time (6 weeks ago) which caused me to fail my previous test.

Other than this amazingly idiotic mistake I got 5 grade 2's.

Back to the queue to wait to take the test again and pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apply for a cancellation. You could have a rematch within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Failed in Kilkenny for a ridiculous grade 3 and only had 4 grade 2's apart from that 😥. Was in the box to turn right at a four way junction and the light turned red. Instead of quickly clearing the junction anyway, I froze and the tester had to tell me to go. Such a silly mistake as it was a situation I'd encountered at that exact junction numerous times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Failed in Clonmel today, first time trying. 9 grade 2s, mostly for the bloody observation. General stuff like mirrors and one for looking left when turning right. Just can't get into the habit of looking in the mirrors before indicating. Ah well, I'll have a fair bit anyways to work on it and apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Timmybauld

Yo, just discovered this forum. Failed in Rathgar the other day. I've done my 12 and a whole heap more lessons, all since last October. Like lots and lots of lessons, I felt confident going out but wasn't cocky and just erring on avoiding collapsing into nerves. I just wanted to get the jist of the test and if I passed, then cool, if not no worrie.s

I ended up failing with one Grade 3 on observation to the right, basically it was a amber yield sign. I'd been warned about progress, I took my time and let a string of cars pass me by and then went out when I judged it to be right, there was a hoot from behind me and to be honest, I think it might have been at another car as the traffic was a bit heavy behind me at the main junction and not me but your man marked me for it anyway. Like the beep came from well behind me and in another lane.

There's a classic problem at that testing centre as well, of when you are coming back into the grounds of it of you positioning to drive in to the place and then other learners or drivers flying out into your path. I'd been warned about that loads and then what happens on the day, I position to go in, take a peak and proceed, while some one else who hasn't given me the same courtesy fecking drives straight up and blocks me. I hadn't proceeded far enough to block them, so they got out okay. Your man said I'd blocked the road, there was no traffic coming either way and the whole thing was a basic 5 second delay and letting the other person out first.

While I accept the grade 3 fault as fine, I felt that I wasn't given much of a chance from the off. I was using my instructors car as its a smoother ride than my own. During the oral the instructor asked me "what car did you bring?"

Let's be honest here, I'm not a car person, I drive a Fiat Panda and couldn't give a **** about cars other than functionality. I couldn't really tell one car from the other and its not something I care about, but I'm not a ****ing idiot either. So I responded, I brought my instructors car. He sort of looked me up and down and said "that's not what I meant." Comic stuff. So I was completely thrown and basically went blank on what the car was. Not a great start and it was followed with "is this your first test?"

I kind of assumed they had access to that information already, I think it probably predjudices them against you if it is. We were approaching a left hand turn at one stage and your man, who basically muttered instructions at me the whole time told me to "pull up left here and we'll turn around the corner." I asked him to clarify: like did he want me to take this immediate left and pull up or to continue pass the left turn and pull up? Again, he responded with "do you not know what turning around a corner is? Have you not done these with your instructor?"

And I had, and I had at that particular spot and all. But if an instruction is unclear, its unclear and why should I assume we are just going to do manoeuvres in the exact same spots that pre-tests do them in. It's indicative of a sort of Leaving Cert mentality of rote learning TBH.

Back at the centre he was pretty gruff and the feedback was a bit poxy, with comments about gear usage and progression - I'd worked my way up to 4th where I deemed it safe on a good straight and elsewhere, as per a recent RSA led discussion on Pat Kenny - maintained a safe 50k in 3rd gear, just so you don't slip up the dial as you can in 4th. It can be a windy and residential area heavy route, so I'd error on the side of caution in a lot of the areas, lots of observation and peeking, if you can manage getting up on a straight then I feel hard done by getting screwd for progression on the more windy and residential areas of the journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

No offence but it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near ready to sit your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Timmybauld wrote: »

Back at the centre he was pretty gruff and the feedback was a bit poxy, with comments about gear usage and progression - I'd worked my way up to 4th where I deemed it safe on a good straight and elsewhere, as per a recent RSA led discussion on Pat Kenny - maintained a safe 50k in 3rd gear, just so you don't slip up the dial as you can in 4th.

Is this recommended on the test?? Never heard of it before and can't see anything online about it, from the RSA or anyone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Roselm wrote: »
    Not in Ireland it doesn't. The sequence you're talking about is the UK system.

You're wrong, a flashing amber light comes before a green light at a pedestrian crossing in Ireland. The UK light you're referring to is when the red and amber light show together before a green light at all junctions.

The sequence of lights at a pedestrian crossing in Ireland is: green, amber, red, flashing amber, green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Delira wrote: »
    Is this recommended on the test?? Never heard of it before and can't see anything online about it, from the RSA or anyone...?

Hi.

Absolute rubbish. Recommended method of keeping within the speed limit is regular checks of your speedometer.

Keeping in a gear lower than necessary will get you marked in the test. (Because in normal driving it would dramatically increase fuel consumption, wear and tear on the engine. Not forgetting air and noise pollution)

Why do these "experts" only use this method on 50 Kmh. ? By their reasoning nobody should use the higher gears in order to avoid breaking the 80/100/120 Kmh. Would like to ask them what is the purpose of the speedometer. ? If they have trouble regulating their speed, then they are not checking the speedometer often enough and/or not concentrating.

My 2nd last driving school car had a top speed of 220 Kmh. I never warned my pupils not to change up in case they exceeded the posted limit.

Instead taught them to use regular speedometer checks. (When teaching learners I also had them watch the rev counter then drive in different gears but at the same speed to demonstrate how harder the engine had to work in the lower gears).

Finally I had a pupil who failed the test and whose ONLY fault was not using 6th gear. In the test she completely forgot the car had six gears. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 qwerty074

Failed today down in Gorey. It was my first time.

Had 12 Grade 2's. One fault was I was taking too long to complete the turnabout.
    I was nervous and stalled twice as well going up a hill in traffic so that was another 2 faults.
    I got 2 faults for being too close to parked cars.

Both the tester and my driving instructor said that I should apply to the cancellation list and try again asap.

Advertisement