Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

qwerty074 wrote: »
    Failed today down in Gorey. It was my first time.

Had 12 Grade 2's. One fault was I was taking too long to complete the turnabout.
    I was nervous and stalled twice as well going up a hill in traffic.

Both the tester and my driving instructor said that I should apply to the cancellation list and try again asap.

Failed in gorey myself 2 weeks ago silly grade 3 my own fault and only 4 grade 2's applied again for cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 6 qwerty074

What's the number you can ring to get a cancellation spot? I applied online again.

I'm going back to college in a week as well so mid week mightn't be able to suit me.

Edit: Rang them. Had no cancellation slots yet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

Failed for the 2nd time today, feeling seriously dejected seeing as my first time round when I was **** at driving back in June I got 6 grade 2s and 1 grade 3 for running a red light, this time i did the exact same route with a different tester and got 14 grade 2's even though I thought I drove extremely well, did the hill start perfectly, reversed around a corner basically hugging it with a couple inches space (he claims I wasn't checking my right mirror enough, I disagree I checked it every few seconds and even stopped like twice during it to do an exaggerated checking of every mirror). I know for a fact if I had the first tester I had I would have easily passed that test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

:o
    Failed for the 2nd time today, feeling seriously dejected seeing as my first time round when I was **** at driving back in June I got 6 grade 2s and 1 grade 3 for running a red light, this time i did the exact same route with a different tester and got 14 grade 2's even though I thought I drove extremely well, did the hill start perfectly, reversed around a corner basically hugging it with a couple inches space (he claims I wasn't checking my right mirror enough, I disagree I checked it every few seconds and even stopped like twice during it to do an exaggerated checking of every mirror). I know for a fact if I had the first tester I had I would have easily passed that test.

This wasn't in Tallaght by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

I failed my first (automatic car) test too :(

13 grade 2 mistakes(mostly for progress) and 7 grade 1 mistakes

I did 12 EDT lessons with very poor instructor.

Then I had more lessons with my friend,who was newly qualified instructor.

Also booked some lessons with ex examinator,who was the best of them all.
    Unfortunately money was very tight and I couldn't afforded to do more lessons,so practised a lot (every day) with my partner.All 3 instructors told me ,how good I was at the driving.

Unfortunately failed the test in Tallaght .
    Booked test straight away ,4 more weeks to practise .If honest I'm feeling even more nervous this time,confidence is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

pm1977x wrote: »
    :o

This wasn't in Tallaght by any chance?

Wilton in Cork :)

Failed my 4th attempt at my Driving Test in Sligo, yesterday morning. :(

In fairness, It didn't start off very well, as I drew a blank at a few questions as I was nervous as hell to start off :(
    I relaxed a bit more when I started to drive, all going well until on the way back I was marked garde 3 for not yielding right of way.

Total Faults marked - 7 / Grade 2, 1 /Grade 3 (5 / Grade 1)

Rule/Checks - 1 (Grade 2)
    React to hazard - 2 (Grade 2) < wth??
    Progress Turn Right - 1 (Grade 2)
    Position on bend - 1 (Grade 2)
    Signal on Roundabouts- 2 (Grade 2) < I thought I signaled perfectly.. :(
    Yield right of way - 1 Grade 3 :( St Brigid's pl turning right in to Connolly St. Should have waited for the on coming car to pass. I sort of stopped & hesitated for a few sec as the on coming car wasn't moving. Yep, I screwed up here.

The tester pointed out that I was too hesitant/cautious on two occasions, (1) Slowing down for a Bus to pass by. I judged insufficient space to pass by. (2) Last turn in to the test center, I waited for a truck to pass by. Also said I was a bit late signaling on this turn.?? I still can't believe I made that grade 3 fault. Why do I keep screwing up on the test... :roll:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

ft85915 wrote: »
    Failed my 4th attempt at my Driving Test in Sligo, yesterday morning. :(

In fairness, It didn't start off very well, as I drew a blank at a few questions as I was nervous as hell to start off :(
    I relaxed a bit more when I started to drive, all going well until on the way back I was marked garde 3 for not yielding right of way.

Total Faults marked - 7 / Grade 2, 1 /Grade 3 (5 / Grade 1)

Rule/Checks - 1 (Grade 2)
    React to hazard - 2 (Grade 2) < wth??
    Progress Turn Right - 1 (Grade 2)
    Position on bend - 1 (Grade 2)
    Signal on Roundabouts- 2 (Grade 2) < I thought I signaled perfectly.. :(
    Yield right of way - 1 Grade 3 :( St Brigid's pl turning right in to Connolly St. Should have waited for the on coming car to pass. I sort of stopped & hesitated for a few sec as the on coming car wasn't moving. Yep, I screwed up here.

The tester pointed out that I was too hesitant/cautious on two occasions, (1) Slowing down for a Bus to pass by. I judged insufficient space to pass by. (2) Last turn in to the test center, I waited for a truck to pass by. Also said I was a bit late signaling on this turn.?? I still can't believe I made that grade 3 fault. Why do I keep screwing up on the test... :roll:

Aw no gutted for you! are any of those faults the opposite of what you got the last time? maybe you just over corrected from that?

which tester did you get. I've my 2nd go in sligo in less than 2 wks :eek:

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Aw no gutted for you! are any of those faults the opposite of what you got the last time? maybe you just over corrected from that?

which tester did you get. I've my 2nd go in sligo in less than 2 wks :eek:

Obviously I can't name names. But let's just say he does have a bit of a reputation for being a tough cookie. He will throw the book at you if you're not on the mark.
    His only doing his job so, fair enough, but it doesn't help when your nervous of the test to begin with. :rolleyes:

ah yeah i had him the first time! hopefully get the nicer one this time!

• Advertisement

ah yeah i had him the first time! hopefully get the nicer one this time!

Well that didn't happen. Same fcker again.
    Really disappointed. Made more mistakes than last time but hey! At least no automatic fail this time :(
    Highest pass rate in the country and I still cant pass..half thinking of going home and doing it in Ennis!! (2nd highest)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well that didn't happen. Same fcker again.
    Really disappointed. Made more mistakes than last time but hey! At least no automatic fail this time :(
    Highest pass rate in the country and I still cant pass..half thinking of going home and doing it in Ennis!! (2nd highest)

A change of scenery worked for me (eventually!). Apply again - don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

seriously considering changing centre after failing three times in the last year... the thought of driving around those same streets again makes me lose my confidence so much

if I don't get it on 4th try, I'm just calling the place cursed and moving on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Has anyone done their test in Wicklow? I've failed 3 times now in Rathgar and I really don't want to go back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

horrible place... I shudder at the thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Austria! wrote: »
    Very confident of passing. Ran a red light (it came out of nowhere honestly) within a minute of getting in the car. I hate you all.
    Was it at the Sarsfield roundabout?

Yes!

How on earth did you guess that?

Got my next test in a month, which will be over 3 months since I booked it, and I was on the cancellation list all this time. Absolutely ridiculous waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I was hoping it would be the other thread I would be posting in but alas here I am.

Failed today in Birr with my first attempt. I actually thought it went pretty well but truth be told when I got the review at the end, I got crucified on my positioning & observation.

Half way through the test I noticed I hadn't been as observant as I might have been. I was completely oblivious to a problem with my positioning though.

My biggest downfall was not getting a couple of lessons in Birr itself. I had got lessons when I was just beginning to drive but not in Birr. My accompanying driver/s were confident I'd pass.

Oh well, second test booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Failed last week in Hendon (north London) - 2 majors and 7 minors. Nerves absolutely got to me on the day and I made so many mistakes that I wouldn't normally make at all. Couldn't get another date until mid-November too so going to get a few more lessons in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Failed last week in Hendon (north London) - 2 majors and 7 minors. Nerves absolutely got to me on the day and I made so many mistakes that I wouldn't normally make at all. Couldn't get another date until mid-November too so going to get a few more lessons in.

Don't you have to do a parking exercise during the test in the UK?

You have to do one of parallel parking, bay parking, reversing around a corner or a turn in the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mia A

Had my first attempt today in Limerick (castlemungret) and failed. Totally disheartened by it because I felt I drove quite well (especially since I'd never driven on the motorway before).
    Had a few grade 1s but got a grade 3 for turning right at a junction; the light had just turned amber so I stayed in the box and waited for the green arrow rather than make the turn.
    I've booked another test so hopefully will be second time lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My mate started learning for the first time at the start of the summer but failed the first time in August. He hadn't originally planned on repeating if he failed as it would have interfered with returning to college but he just took a swallow and went on the cancellation list. He took the feedback from the test on board and passed just weeks later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Apparently closing Rathgar soon closer to Christmas. Interested to see where theyll move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Second failure in Cork today.

Failed 3 weeks ago with 14 grade 2s, mainly observation and progress.

Got a cancellation slot today,and got 7 grade 2s and one grade 3, for observation coming off the roundabout by CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Failed today in Tolworth (South West London), only got 2 minors and 1 serious so kicking myself a little bit over the 1 serious! Was in a 40 mph zone and came up to traffic calming where you have to go between two bollards. Slowed down to about 25 but the tester felt I should have been below 20 to go through it! Fairly annoyed cause there was traffic behind me so didn't want to slow down too much and got through the bollards fine but not much I can do I guess.

Have reapplied straight away and got a test date for mid November so fingers crossed for the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laura75

When you apply for the test after failing you're supposed to get a different examiner for the next test. When booking a test do they know if you already failed and who the examiner was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Laura75 wrote: »
    When you apply for the test after failing you're supposed to get a different examiner for the next test. When booking a test do they know if you already failed and who the examiner was?

i think you can't have the same tester a 3rd time, but i'm sure you can have them twice in a row, but i never have.

I have had the same twice in a row.
    Hopefully what you say is true so I get the nice one this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I also had the same (very odd) instructor twice in a row, third time I got a different guy and passed, someone previously posted that if you contact them and flag the issue they try to get you a different instructor but not sure if true...

• Advertisement

Second failure in Hendon this morning - just nerves getting to me again and doing stupid things that I never normally do during lessons. Booked a new test straight away but no availability until January - when I'll be 31 weeks pregnant so hopefully get the sympathy vote :pac:

Advertisement