Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Aww sorry RK that sucks!

My mum passed when heavily preggers with me so I'd say ya will :pac:

My next attempt is v.soon. V.soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Second failure in Hendon this morning - just nerves getting to me again and doing stupid things that I never normally do during lessons. Booked a new test straight away but no availability until January - when I'll be 31 weeks pregnant so hopefully get the sympathy vote :pac:

ring and ask to be on the cancellation list. you'd usually get something much faster on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Third failure in Wilton yesterday, only got 2 grade 2s (within 5 minutes of leaving the test centre), but failed for 1 grade 3, I steered too late going into a housing estate and the examiner saw this as losing control of the steering.

Examiner was nice about it and realised it was a mistake, told me that if I could sit the test again that day I'd pass.

Ahh well, back to calling for cancellations!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I was just wondering has anyone here recently passed in Wicklow or Tallaght? I've failed 3 times in Churchtown/Rathgar so I want to try somewhere else! Any info would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I was just wondering has anyone here recently passed in Wicklow or Tallaght? I've failed 3 times in Churchtown/Rathgar so I want to try somewhere else! Any info would be appreciated!

I failed 3 times in rathgar, did number 4 in tallaght and passed! The roads are a good bit bigger in tallaght, those housing estates in rathgar are killer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Failed twice in tallaght, passed third time but much prefer the roads around there compared to Rathgar where even getting in and out of the test centre is tricky. I'd recommend trying to get a Saturday in Tallaght as the industrial estate is virtually traffic free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I have had the same twice in a row.
    Hopefully what you say is true so I get the nice one this time!

In the bag, third time lucky!

Keep up the faith guys, it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I've failed twice in a row too..last test was on Halloween day at 2.05PM. Definitely not the best time, but only 11 grade 2s...mainly for checking mirrors. One for something about the clutch. Plan on booking again and hoping for a date in January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I failed 3 times in rathgar, did number 4 in tallaght and passed! The roads are a good bit bigger in tallaght, those housing estates in rathgar are killer!
    pm1977x wrote: »
    Failed twice in tallaght, passed third time but much prefer the roads around there compared to Rathgar where even getting in and out of the test centre is tricky. I'd recommend trying to get a Saturday in Tallaght as the industrial estate is virtually traffic free.

Cheers guys for the help, I think I'll book it in Tallaght for after Christmas, I'm now on my third provisional licence but I'm determined not to get another one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

do you get asked the questions in person or do you do them on a computer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

do you get asked the questions in person or do you do them on a computer?

You get asked them in person in the office before they go out and do the few questions about what's under the bonnet. If it's raining they sometimes skip the bonnet questions.

Usually it's a few road signs and then some more questions like what would you do if/why should you always ... etc.

A friend of mine almost got caught out when she didn't know how to turn on the fog lights, so make sure if your car has a feature, you know how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Failed. To be honest I wasn't really hopeful of passing. Managed to make stupid mistakes and hit the curb as I was reversing back during the 3 point turn. I've never done that up to the last 2 days. I knew it was over then. Screwed up my reverse around the corner, too wide, which I had done fine with my driving instructor and dad earlier.
    When he told me as I was heading off to pull into the left I mounted the curb. :( Overall, I got 2 Grade 2's for turning right, progress at roundabouts and observation at roundabouts and 1 grade 2 for observation when turning right. And of course 2 grade 3 faults for the reverse and 3 point turn. The weather didn't help but that's no excuse. Feel pretty bad thinking there's no point in doing it again almost. :( Tester didn't say anything to me anout rebooking for another straight away but he was very nice. Couldn't fault him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Failed. To be honest I wasn't really hopeful of passing. Managed to make stupid mistakes and hit the curb as I was reversing back during the 3 point turn. I've never done that up to the last 2 days. I knew it was over then. Screwed up my reverse around the corner, too wide, which I had done fine with my driving instructor and dad earlier.
    When he told me as I was heading off to pull into the left I mounted the curb. :( Overall, I got 2 Grade 2's for turning right, progress at roundabouts and observation at roundabouts and 1 grade 2 for observation when turning right. And of course 2 grade 3 faults for the reverse and 3 point turn. The weather didn't help but that's no excuse. Feel pretty bad thinking there's no point in doing it again almost. :( Tester didn't say anything to me anout rebooking for another straight away but he was very nice. Couldn't fault him.

Don't worry everyone thinks the same, wait till January when the weather improves and if you fail a second time book in for a cancellation, it took me 3 times to pass, but once it's done, it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

JamboMac wrote: »
    Don't worry everyone thinks the same, wait till January when the weather improves and if you fail a second time book in for a cancellation, it took me 3 times to pass, but once it's done, it's done.

Thanks.:) My parents I have to say were straight away saying that it was all just nerves and my instructor said the same. Said the weather was against me too. It was raining fairly heavily during my test but that's really no excuse. They're mad for me to get driving more and rebook my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I left the centre today in a fair rage after failing (got 6k revs in 2nd gear leaving centre :mad:!) , not at the test in particular, or the tester, but for driving like a 10 year old wimpy kid, using handbrake and 1st gear for stupid stupid reasons, never seeing the speed limit signs (alot of changes in between residential etc) and acting like some kind of constipated mule at the roundabouts/junctions, not to mention mistaking a no enter sign in middle island as somehow relating to my lane !

..........Nope, a little rant hasn't helped my mood

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

yeah, it happens, just need to get lucky on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

Eldest child just failed test fifth time, he is not in the slightest bothered. I on the other hand.............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

getaroom wrote: »
    Eldest child just failed test fifth time, he is not in the slightest bothered. I on the other hand.............

Took me six times. While doing my last (successful) one, I met a woman on her 11th (who failed again) and a man on his 8th (who passed). Get him to apply again. The more tests he does, the better the chance of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Its not that bad really, I know quite a few people who failed 3-4 times and never bothered to do it again and have been driving with provisionals for years. . .so at least hes still trying!

Psychosis wrote: »
    Its not that bad really, I know quite a few people who failed 3-4 times and never bothered to do it again and have been driving with provisionals for years. . .so at least hes still trying!

The thing is, i dont think shes interested. Gets that from her mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

The thing is, i dont think shes interested. Gets that from her mother.

Does she keep failing for same thing? I think if you are gradually fixing things between tests then you are making progress.

If she keeps failing for same thing and isnt working on that then I would be worried :o

Psychosis wrote: »
    Does she keep failing for same thing? I think if you are gradually fixing things between tests then you are making progress.

If she keeps failing for same thing and isnt working on that then I would be worried :o

She doesnt react well under pressure. I think panic sets in. The first time she was on a roundabout at the end of a hill, a fourty foot came up behind her and blew her out of it and the engine stalled. The second time she was taken to a small residential estate to do 3 point turn during the school run, again panic. Im sure she will get over it. Im just looking at the money wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Just failed my third attempt now. Seven g2, one g3 - a jeep pulled out in front of me as I was coming out of the test centre. Knowing I had it failed from the minute I set off is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Third failure at Hendon - one major for a silly mistake at a mini-roundabout 2 minutes after the start of the test, and of the minors that I got the vast majority of them were for observation because I can't move properly with bump in the way. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Just failed my first time at the Churchtown center. Spent about 20mins bawling in the carpark.

Didn't start off well, I was the last of the day and yer man clearly wanted to get home- I didn't even sit down, he just fired a load of questions at me (got them all right), and didn't do under the bonnet.

Was brought on a totally new route, fine, fair enough, stalled once at the traffic lights. Came to the reverse around the corner, and there was a Learner Instructor car there, but yer man just told me to pull up ahead of them and start reversing so they'd get the message (again, clearly in a rush).
    The rest went swimmingly- My turnabout deserved a Nobel Prize.

Knew I had failed when he told me to just ditch the car- not bother parking it up right. I wan't even listening when he told me what I failed on- probably the stalling, but I just felt that I never stood a chance, if ya get me?

Anyway, just cracked open the best tasting beer I've ever had, and I'll forget about it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ That sounded very unfair! Didn't think you could fail for stalling. Did you get a sheet with the results? Yer man sounded like a bollix alright!

Just failed my first time at the Churchtown center. Spent about 20mins bawling in the carpark.

Didn't start off well, I was the last of the day and yer man clearly wanted to get home- I didn't even sit down, he just fired a load of questions at me (got them all right), and didn't do under the bonnet.

Was brought on a totally new route, fine, fair enough, stalled once at the traffic lights. Came to the reverse around the corner, and there was a Learner Instructor car there, but yer man just told me to pull up ahead of them and start reversing so they'd get the message (again, clearly in a rush).
    The rest went swimmingly- My turnabout deserved a Nobel Prize.

Knew I had failed when he told me to just ditch the car- not bother parking it up right. I wan't even listening when he told me what I failed on- probably the stalling, but I just felt that I never stood a chance, if ya get me?

Anyway, just cracked open the best tasting beer I've ever had, and I'll forget about it for now.

Something about that unnerves me. It seems a little dangerous to be reversing when you're parked ahead of another car, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Something about that unnerves me. It seems a little dangerous to be reversing when you're parked ahead of another car, no?

I said the same thing- asked him could I wait for them to leave, but he told me to proceed.

I said the same thing- asked him could I wait for them to leave, but he told me to proceed.

I'd ring the RSA for an appeal. It won't pass you your test, but at the very least you'll be granted a free resit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Failed my first test in Naas there. Very upset with myself as I was extremely well prepared and the nerves just got the better of me. Made some really stupid mistakes like indicating the wrong way.

The cost of this whole getting on the road process is ****ing insane. Im quite lucky in that Im 21 and living with parents so I can save a lot of my wages. Even then I find it very hard forking out €85 to take the test, adding to that €100 for my instructor to rent his car and do a pretest on the day. At this point im terrified of failing the test 4/5 times and paying out almost €1000.

Lessons, car, Nct, tax, Insurance...How is it possible for your average Joe to afford all this?

Advertisement