Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

TheStook wrote: »
    Lessons, car, Nct, tax, Insurance...How is it possible for your average Joe to afford all this?

This is all of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gvgdhar

TheStook wrote: »
    do a pretest on the day.

My experience is one pretest is sufficient for the first timer just to understand the process. As you have already gone through this, taking a friend with good driving skills for practice is much better than these pretests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blacking7

Failed in Tallaght today. The main issue is that we did shoulder check when I turned left and right. I got 5 grade 2 on that. Then I failed.
    I think I might only need to do that when changing lane/move off/turning left when bicycle lane is on left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

blacking7 wrote: »
    Failed in Tallaght today. The main issue is that we did shoulder check when I turned left and right. I got 5 grade 2 on that. Then I failed.
    I think I might only need to do that when changing lane/move off/turning left when bicycle lane is on left.

By shoulder check you mean blindspots?
    You should always check your blindspots but sounds to me like your man who ever tested you just didnt see you checking them.
    Next time just make sure you turn your head fully, to check them, I know you can do a quick flick of the head to check.
    But they can miss that, if you do a big dramatic (obviously not to long as you need your eyes on the road) head turn to check he will see you done it.

These guys/gals want to make sure your doing everything, but their watching you and the road so they miss things so you have to show them your doing it by make it a little bit longer,

checking mirrors, move your head at the angle which ever mirror your checking.
    Where as you probably only move your eyes when your driving on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blacking7

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    By shoulder check you mean blindspots?
    You should always check your blindspots but sounds to me like your man who ever tested you just didnt see you checking them.
    Next time just make sure you turn your head fully, to check them, I know you can do a quick flick of the head to check.
    But they can miss that, if you do a big dramatic (obviously not to long as you need your eyes on the road) head turn to check he will see you done it.

These guys/gals want to make sure your doing everything, but their watching you and the road so they miss things so you have to show them your doing it by make it a little bit longer,

checking mirrors, move your head at the angle which ever mirror your checking.
    Where as you probably only move your eyes when your driving on your own.

Thanks dude. That's helpful.
    And I failed because He said I checked blindspot at turning left/right. I might overcheck it.
    So got 5 grade 2 on hazard react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

Austria! wrote: »
    Yes!

How on earth did you guess that?

Got my next test in a month, which will be over 3 months since I booked it, and I was on the cancellation list all this time. Absolutely ridiculous waiting time.

I guessed because the exact same thing happened to me my first time lol

I failed for my third time today, 14 grade 2s of the most nitpickiest of bull****. Wilton roundabout 2 cars pulled out while I was on it causing me to brake a little(when I say a little I mean a little) and I got one for that, one for giving a cyclist too much space when overtaking, said I didnt need to go I to the other lane when passing him (this was in a narrowish residential road, no cars incoming) I told him I thought you need to treat cyclists as if they were other cara in terms of giving room and he started muttering and couldn't answer me. Said I drove as if I was in a hurry when I literally got to 50kmph like 2 or three times because of the traffic, never surpassing it. **** him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Failed. To be honest I wasn't really hopeful of passing. Managed to make stupid mistakes and hit the curb as I was reversing back during the 3 point turn. I've never done that up to the last 2 days. I knew it was over then. Screwed up my reverse around the corner, too wide, which I had done fine with my driving instructor and dad earlier.
    When he told me as I was heading off to pull into the left I mounted the curb. :( Overall, I got 2 Grade 2's for turning right, progress at roundabouts and observation at roundabouts and 1 grade 2 for observation when turning right. And of course 2 grade 3 faults for the reverse and 3 point turn. The weather didn't help but that's no excuse. Feel pretty bad thinking there's no point in doing it again almost. :( Tester didn't say anything to me anout rebooking for another straight away but he was very nice. Couldn't fault him.

2nd time doing the test and I failed, same tester. At least I didn't get any grade 3's well driving which is good. Got a grade 1 for rules and checks (oops), one grade 2 for reactions to hazards, progress on the straight and when turning left and right I got two grade 2's (though I thought my progress was good on those points) and a one grade 2 for progress at traffic light which I can't recall at all.

Apparently I forgot to signal at one point got a grade 2 for that, got another two grade 2 for turning right and and 2 grade 2's clutch control. I got him to explain some for me but to be honest I can't recall any of the reasons now. Funny, I got less grades in my first one but the grade 3 failed me for that one. This time no grade 3's but got a lot more grade's 1 & 2. I felt a little more relaxed this time though. It's hard to feel the failure is a reflection of yourself.

The reverse around the corner went okay but he told me when reversing back I shouldn't be looking at all in my side mirror and should be looking back constantly which is fair enough I suppose. He said I could have done the maneuver quicker too and that my mirror should not be pointing down towards the curb when I'm doing it that I shouldn't need that, but I can't see a thing if I do that. He kept saying "good girl" to me too which really irritated me for some reason, especially when he thought I was nervous.:o Well third times a charm I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Just failed in raheny
    Done the reversing around the corner which I was most worried about.
    Answered all the questions right
    Go 11 grade 2s though :eek: mostly for position
    Ah well back to rebooking the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

shelly22 wrote: »
    Just failed in raheny
    Done the reversing around the corner which I was most worried about.
    Answered all the questions right
    Go 11 grade 2s though :eek: mostly for position
    Ah well back to rebooking the test

Rebook again and ring them to tell them you will take a cancellation. You could have it in a month.
    In one way it's good that all your errors are for the same thing - just one thing to work on.
    Onwards and upwards.

I will rebook as soon as I can
    I am quite devastated I failed now it's sunk in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

shelly22 wrote: »
    I am quite devastated I failed now it's sunk in.

I failed first time and passed on my second attempt. I deserved to fail to be honest and rebooked straight away. I practiced and practiced the areas where the tester said i needed to improve and this led to me passing the test.

I failed first time and passed on my second attempt. I deserved to fail to be honest and rebooked straight away. I practiced and practiced the areas where the tester said i needed to improve and this led to me passing the test.

Thank you
    It's Killing me having to pay another 85 euro to redo the test bit it has to be done
    I'm really pleased you passed your test it makes all the practicing worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

failed in tallaght because i was told i turned right too quickly.
    only 5 grade 2s but screwed me with a grade 3 for that.
    Said it was near a school but he didnt know the area to say where.

Had another chap with him. The fella marking me was a supervisor , but the fella in the back didnt look new(older man)

crock of shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 20 luluzade

Failed first time in raheny, mostly for observation even though i was making it very clear i was checking my mirrors and blindspots, did the perfect reverse around the corner but got marked down on competence and observation, kinda difficult to improve on my driving if i was marked down for what i know i was doing great on..oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

luluzade wrote: »
    Failed first time in raheny, mostly for observation even though i was making it very clear i was checking my mirrors and blindspots, did the perfect reverse around the corner but got marked down on competence and observation, kinda difficult to improve on my driving if i was marked down for what i know i was doing great on..oh well

Well you can actually fail for over doing observation as well. Good luck next time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 luluzade

Well you can actually fail for over doing observation as well. Good luck next time anyway.

Yah but he said i wasn't doing it enough which I don't really understand but oh well, I'll get it next time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

That is correct. At the start of the test the examiner says
    "Thank you. Now, would you please ensure that the seat, seat-belt, head restraint, and mirrors are properly adjusted and that your door is properly closed."

Therefore if you have your mirrors maladjusted you may be marked.

He next says
    "Now, you should drive in your normal manner. I will tell you in good time when etc etc
    He does not for example say, Look, am not very good at this job so would you please make your observational checks really obvious, otherwise I might miss them. He does not need and does not ask for any assistance from the test candidate.

You should not exaggerate in the slightest your observational checks. It is completely totally unnecessary and you may be marked for it.

One other point, if you exaggerate, it is then blatantly obvious when you forget.

luluzade wrote: »
    Yah but he said i wasn't doing it enough which I don't really understand but oh well, I'll get it next time :-)

Hi,
    He may not have marked you for exaggerating your checks. Was talking to an examiner once and he said he sometimes did not mark for what he called "Driving instructor induced faults"

So, looks like he marked you for insufficient checks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Just booked test #4 for mid May. Wish me luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just booked test #4 for mid May. Wish me luck.

No bother to you and should it take another go, or another two like it did for me, so what? You will get there in the end.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    No bother to you and should it take another go, or another two like it did for me, so what? You will get there in the end.

Exactly. Someone I told this news to said to me "you know what I think? I think it should be three strikes you out. Everyone should give up if they don't get it by three attempts."

I told them to FRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Got a grade 3 so failed. I'm disgusted.

Approached traffic lights (below the speed limit), the light was green as I approached.
    The light went amber right before entering the junction. I made the split decision to continue as I felt I couldn't stop.
    I acknowledged the mistake with a 'Sorry'.
    Instant fail!

Would have passed if was deemed a Grade 2. Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Failed, too many grades 2 for progress and position (driving too close to the kerb etc), i'd rather fail with grade 3, tired of this...also the fact it's not possible to pick day/time for the test makes it so hard when you work full time and mind the kid outside work hours :( and the test centre is far away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

uli84 wrote: »
    Failed, too many grades 2 for progress and position (driving too close to the kerb etc), i'd rather fail with grade 3, tired of this...also the fact it's not possible to pick day/time for the test makes it so hard when you work full time and mind the kid outside work hours :( and the test centre is far away :(
    its a bit of a joke getting failed on progression. It try to encourage people who feel under pressure to pull out in front of other cars.

well yes, I definitely wasn't below reasonable as I have that electronic speed display (that whoever sits in the passenger seat can't see by the way) and was monitoring it. Bet next time I will fail on driving/pulling out too fast ;) What could be the problem with driving too close to the kerb? (while I admit I might have been close to it in general at times, I haven't even touched it at any stage). eh tough luck, pity i'm so easy to get discouraged, driving with L for 6 years on a daily basis now (and without any scratch could you believe!) but can't afford the insurance anymore...

Another thing is-on my previous test I haven't got a single mark on the position and one grade 2 on progress, really makes you wonder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Well, at long last I have booked my 3rd sitting in Naas. Only been driving 2 and a half years :rolleyes:
    Started driving Oct 2013, sat tests 1 and 2 in Oct 2014. For my first test, I was really well prepared and arrived ready to rock the test, but it was within the first week of the month and I was waiting for my new tax disc - so he wouldn't even get in my car. I had thought it would be grand as I brought proof I'd paid it, but no. Infuriatingly, the tax disc was in the postbox when I got home. But sure!
    Test 2 was 2 weeks later but I had spent those 2 weeks dealing with personal issues and hadn't given a second thought to driving. My driving was awful, I was coasting all over the place, I messed up my reverse around the corner, got a few grade 2's for observation and progress but mostly reaction and vehicle controls (clutch). After that I couldn't afford to waste any more money on pretest lessons and tests so I left it for a while and it ended up getting forgotten about.
    Fairly stressed out about it, as I don't know if my 2 and a half years on the road works for or against me, I'm sure I have picked up habits that I don't even know are wrong. Gonna do a few pretests and see how it goes. Hoping to switch cars and it's the idea of doing the test in a car I'm familiar with, that is giving me the kick to do it. Pray for me!

uli84 wrote: »
    well yes, I definitely wasn't below reasonable as I have that electronic speed display (that whoever sits in the passenger seat can't see by the way) and was monitoring it. Bet next time I will fail on driving/pulling out too fast ;)What could be the problem with driving too close to the kerb? (while I admit I might have been close to it in general at times, I haven't even touched it at any stage). eh tough luck, pity i'm so easy to get discouraged, driving with L for 6 years on a daily basis now (and without any scratch could you believe!) but can't afford the insurance anymore...

Hi,
    as I may have posted before, the examiner uses the kerb as a reference point. But the kerb itself is harmless enough, it is the pedestrian who may step off the kerb that worries him. You should leave sufficient space and drive at a speed that you either miss, or can stop for pedestrians.

You know what, I give up. If you get to four and you still can't pass it, you're not meant to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

You know what, I give up. If you get to four and you still can't pass it, you're not meant to drive.

Their are many people on the road that passed first time that shouldn't be driving, don't give up it will make you a better driver in the end.

Advertisement