Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

You know what, I give up. If you get to four and you still can't pass it, you're not meant to drive.

My mother and thousands of others would disagree... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

You know what, I give up. If you get to four and you still can't pass it, you're not meant to drive.

Nah, you'll get there in the end and you'll be all the more proud of yourself when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

JamboMac wrote: »
    Their are many people on the road that passed first time that shouldn't be driving, don't give up it will make you a better driver in the end.

I know you mean well by that, but if I'm honest it doesn't really help. They have it passed and I don't? I can't see the logic in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not at all. If you give up, maybe you don't really want to.

There are plenty very good safe drivers who took a few goes to pass the test, like there are lunatics passed first time. Apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Tomorrow in tallaght. Let do this ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of mine did her test 9 times until she passed. It's all down to luck on the day really I think to be honest. Where are you doing your test? Have you tried doing it on another route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Their are many people on the road that passed first time that shouldn't be driving, don't give up it will make you a better driver in the end.

This i passed my car truck and bus tests all first time and herselfs father tells everyone I shouldn't be aloud behind a weel :) don't give up you'll get it

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A friend of mine did her test 9 times until she passed. It's all down to luck on the day really I think to be honest. Where are you doing your test? Have you tried doing it on another route?

I'm doing it in Dungarvan. The problem is that I'vebeen living in Wales the last year do no opportunities for practise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

bpb101 wrote: »
    Tomorrow in tallaght. Let do this ****

Ill see you lads on the other thread. Passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

bpb101 wrote: »
    Ill see you lads on the other thread. Passed.

Well done !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

I failed today but I knew it myself before she said it. I know where I went wrong, it didn't help that I nearly took the side off the car going back into the test centre which got me a grade 3 (damn you Navan and your tight test centre) but I've booked the next one so here's looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I failed today but I knew it myself before she said it. I know where I went wrong, it didn't help that I nearly took the side off the car going back into the test centre which got me a grade 3 (damn you Navan and your tight test centre) but I've booked the next one so here's looking forward to the next one.

It is tight. Did you use the mirror opposit the turn and stay in 1st going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

And was your test just after lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I failed today, unfortunately the heavens opened just before my test and it was absolutely hammering rain for the whole drive. I couldn't see a thing in the side mirror during the reverse around the corner due to the amount of water everywhere so I made a total balls of it. Will try again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Failed today out in Tallaght. No grade 1's, 20 grade 2's. All but 3 of the grade 2's were for looking over my shoulder before indicating right. I've been riding motorbikes and cycling all my life and I know how frequently motorbikes will often overtake or filter down the right. Plenty of the turns I made today were in traffic with no right turning lane. I felt that, with cars behind me and in front of me a lad on a motorbike wouldn't be able to see my indicator and I may end up causing an accident.

When approaching a turn I looked in my right mirror, quickly looked over my right shoulder to make sure, indicated and made the turn. Seemed a bit excessive but ah well.

Got a grade 3 too. I was just doing the hill start, looked around and pulled off. Kept close to the curb. There was a road to the left of me and some lad tried to pull out straight in front me (just didn't look). I braked, looked in my rear view mirror, looked up the road and indicated around him as it was a skinny road and he hadn't fully entered. The tester said that I had nearly hit him and that it was reckless driving on my part.

I honestly think I failed the test before I started. The handbrake light literally went as we sat in the car and started it up. He started on about how he shouldn't even get in the car, let alone conduct a test. This went on for a good few minutes until I said that it didn't bother me and if he wanted to hop out he should go ahead.

Off to NZ at the end of July so pretty gutted as I really thought I'd have a full license before going. Ah well. Hopefully I'll get it while I'm over there. Got all dressed up for nothing. Sorry about the wall of text. I just had to vent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apply for a cancellation and say you'll take any Dublin centre. You could still have it by the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Failed today out in Tallaght. No grade 1's, 20 grade 2's. All but 3 of the grade 2's were for looking over my shoulder before indicating right. I've been riding motorbikes and cycling all my life and I know how frequently motorbikes will often overtake or filter down the right. Plenty of the turns I made today were in traffic with no right turning lane. I felt that, with cars behind me and in front of me a lad on a motorbike wouldn't be able to see my indicator and I may end up causing an accident.

When approaching a turn I looked in my right mirror, quickly looked over my right shoulder to make sure, indicated and made the turn. Seemed a bit excessive but ah well.

Got a grade 3 too. I was just doing the hill start, looked around and pulled off. Kept close to the curb. There was a road to the left of me and some lad tried to pull out straight in front me (just didn't look). I braked, looked in my rear view mirror, looked up the road and indicated around him as it was a skinny road and he hadn't fully entered. The tester said that I had nearly hit him and that it was reckless driving on my part.

I honestly think I failed the test before I started. The handbrake light literally went as we sat in the car and started it up. He started on about how he shouldn't even get in the car, let alone conduct a test. This went on for a good few minutes until I said that it didn't bother me and if he wanted to hop out he should go ahead.

Off to NZ at the end of July so pretty gutted as I really thought I'd have a full license before going. Ah well. Hopefully I'll get it while I'm over there. Got all dressed up for nothing. Sorry about the wall of text. I just had to vent.

You never look over your shoulder for indicating / turning right or left. Its mirror signal mirror and turn. Safety glances to the right and left, look into the road you're turning onto, but never check over your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lindsaymclarke

Failed mine back in September, planning on getting more lessons now (after some major sulking after failing haha) and rooted out my test feedback form.
    I did mine in Dundalk and knew before I got in the car with the tester that the test wasn't going to go well. I hadn't studied the oral test well enough and I was the last person on a Friday. (Also the few weeks before my test I was getting 'lessons' from my Dad rather than an instructor)
    I was driving for a total of 20 minutes. No grade 3 faults but I had a couple grade 2 faults under the one heading.
    The first fault was turning my first turn, it was on a 100km/h road and he didn't give me enough notice before turning, I knew straight away and said it to him that I took that way too fast. (He obviously knew he didn't give me enough time though cause he said he'd give me more notice for the next turn)
    Then I stalled the car trying to pull out in 2nd gear, again said it to him that I knew exactly where I went wrong.
    When we finished he told me that the reason I failed was observation. I wasn't turning around to use my back window enough, I'm on the smaller side so if i twist my body to look behind me at the back window I see maybe the tops of trees and my back seats so I shall pretend next time I guess.
    Anyway my sheet is circled with Observations; changing lanes, reverse and turnabout. Speed; turning left, and Vehicle Controls; clutch, gears and footbrake.
    Kicking myself that I didn't rebook straight away because it probably wasn't the worst failed test in the world and now i'm more than likely back to square one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Failed mine back in September, planning on getting more lessons now (after some major sulking after failing haha) and rooted out my test feedback form.
    I did mine in Dundalk and knew before I got in the car with the tester that the test wasn't going to go well. I hadn't studied the oral test well enough and I was the last person on a Friday. (Also the few weeks before my test I was getting 'lessons' from my Dad rather than an instructor)
    I was driving for a total of 20 minutes. No grade 3 faults but I had a couple grade 2 faults under the one heading.
    The first fault was turning my first turn, it was on a 100km/h road and he didn't give me enough notice before turning, I knew straight away and said it to him that I took that way too fast. (He obviously knew he didn't give me enough time though cause he said he'd give me more notice for the next turn)
    Then I stalled the car trying to pull out in 2nd gear, again said it to him that I knew exactly where I went wrong.
    When we finished he told me that the reason I failed was observation. I wasn't turning around to use my back window enough, I'm on the smaller side so if i twist my body to look behind me at the back window I see maybe the tops of trees and my back seats so I shall pretend next time I guess.
    Anyway my sheet is circled with Observations; changing lanes, reverse and turnabout. Speed; turning left, and Vehicle Controls; clutch, gears and footbrake.
    Kicking myself that I didn't rebook straight away because it probably wasn't the worst failed test in the world and now i'm more than likely back to square one!
    Hard luck, you only use your rear view mirror no need to turn around to look out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Failed again. I deserved it the first time.
    This time I did everything I needed and made a few stupid mistakes like hitting the kerb on the reverse around the corner(even though I practised it a million times), forgot to put car into gear on hillstart and not seeing the filter light quick enough. Onto the next one, I suppose. Apparently there's no cancellations for a while.
    I'm annoyed that it costs my parents so much. But what can I do?

• Advertisement

When did they stop that one payment of €85 covered you for two tests?

When did they stop that one payment of €85 covered you for two tests?

When did they have it? I always had to pay for each test.

When did they have it? I always had to pay for each test.

I definitely remember between my first and second test, I didn't have to pay another time. Back in maybe 2014?

I definitely remember between my first and second test, I didn't have to pay another time. Back in maybe 2014?

My first was 2014 second was 2015 and third time 2015 and all the times i payed, luckily i passed third time.

My first was 2014 second was 2015 and third time 2015 and all the times i payed, luckily i passed third time.

Strange, don't remember paying the second time. May have been because I cancelled the first test, thinking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Strange, don't remember paying the second time. May have been because I cancelled the first test, thinking back.

You never sat the test first time so, thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 experiment626

Failed on Friday in Dungarvan. Had 15 grade 2's (for failing to indicate when leaving a roundabout, not stopping at a stop line, progression and one for observation during the turnabout). Also got 1 grade 3 for being in the wrong lane in a roundabout. (If anyone knows Dungarvan, it's the one out by the nissan garage.) The roundabout had only 3 exits, but when he said take the second exit I stayed in the left lane when I should have been in the right. My instructor told me that first and second exits you stay in the left, obviously this isn't the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

My instructor told me that first and second exits you stay in the left, obviously this isn't the case?

That's the case on a standard roundabout with four exits at 3, 6, 9, and 12, but that's a three-exit Y-shaped roundabout. Best thing to do is look at the roundabout sign when you're coming up to it and see where it shows the position of your desired exit. Regardless of how many exits there are, if your exit is at or before 12 o'clock, then you keep to the left. If it's after 12 o'clock, then you keep to the right until you pass the last exit before yours. Sometimes the actual layout doesn't follow the sign exactly (the 12 o'clock exit might actually be a bit offset, for example), but as long as you signal and maneuver based on what the sign tells you, they shouldn't be marking you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 experiment626

I won't be making that mistake again haha. I've just rebooked my test, hopefully I won't be waiting too long to do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

I won't be making that mistake again haha. I've just rebooked my test, hopefully I won't be waiting too long to do it again

Well, I'd be more worried about the Grade 2s, honestly; that's a lot of mistakes, and stuff like signaling and stopping at stop signs are pretty basic things that you really shouldn't be missing. Were you just nervous or something? Might want to book a pre-test with your driving instructor next time, to get you in the right mindset before your actual test.

Advertisement