Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Failed with Sgs about 2 weeks ago. have reapplyed already. observation while taking off 4 blues that failed me. blind spots people very important! just wondering going to get a letter off my employer to send on to them but sent away my form already. can you send the letter by itself?

failed with SGS on the EXACT same thing. 4 grade 2's in a row for observation-moving off. elsewhere I only had like 2 faults so not checking the blind spots cost me the test!! Tester told me I made good use of the mirrors but failed to check the blind spots on 4 occassions when I was pulling away from the kerb!

word of warning to anyone else about to do the test- CHECK THE BLIND SPOTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Failed last Friday in Dun Laoghaire, basically was preparing to do reverse around a corner, as the tester was giving the old spiel "the road on the left is the one i want you to ........" another lad on a test (i think) came around said road, then parked where i was meant to be going. My tester seemed to panic himself and got me to reverse around the nearest "corner" which had a bend on it as well, although in fairness it was a shocking attempt by myself. Whatever way i done it I got stuck to the kerb!! Other than that 3 grade two's, so close........... :(

Here is said "corner":

47356853a7729160085l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Failed today my first time. Was doing the test at Rathgar, mostly due to the grades on progress n gear. The rest was almost perfect. Urghh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

i failed mine last week

i recently bought a new car and i got my insurance switched over
    but after a month they still didnt send out the insurance disc
    i had to use the testers car, i wasnt going to risk them not testing me because of the insurance disc
    it was panic stations then because the testers car was horrible to drive
    i was grinding gears like a good thing

but the test went perfectly, i was coming up to the final part
    i had to turn right at a junction but i was sitting there for ages with traffic, and then i got a rush of blood to the head and pulled out when i shouldnt have
    that was it then, game over

i will probably have to go for more lessons now, they are an absolute nightmare for me

wish me luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

just over a month till the new rule of provisonal licence drivers comes in..everyone think it will be very strict?..im waiting on a date to resit the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Failed in Orwell last Thursday, first time. Was awful nervous so I was a bit all over the place. Although I was surprised there were quite a few sections I didn't get any ticks for. Main problem was observation (seriously people, blind spots! My instructor never seemed too bothered about them, have found out since that he was crap) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Celtic07 wrote: »
    just over a month till the new rule of provisonal licence drivers comes in..everyone think it will be very strict?..im waiting on a date to resit the test

Got a letter last week telling me my test is July 10th. Hopefully i'll just be going round "illegally" for 10 days. I'd like to think they will ease in to the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Very pissed off:mad: Just failed a few hours ago at Navan 2. I thought the instructor was a <SNIP> but she actually marked me very fairly, it was totally on me, means Ill be taking my chances for the nest 5 weeks though, Goddamnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fizman wrote: »
    I'd like to think they will ease in to the new system.
    They did. October 2007 to June 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I don't have as many complaints about the test as others, even though I did fail. But I was told afterwards that if I bumped off the curb while reversing around the corner I would have gotten a grade three and failed outright. Now as it happens, I didn't bump the curb during my test but I did during a pretest. Surely thats ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

I cant believe it!! Im truely gutted. My first attempt in Finglas. The guy sat me down (the little bag of nerves that I was) and said since it was raining this morning, he wont do a bonnet check so asked me twice as many road signs (say about 15). All but 2 I answered straight away. I went blank on end of motor way and level crossing ahead because of nerves but did eventually answer them but gave a gobbledegook answer. Got a GRADE3 for that!! I appreciate that I need to know these things to be a competent driver but I didnt think it was worth failing me before I left the test centre. After that I got 3 grade 2's for clutch control and 2 grade 1's for observation when reversing.
    I felt sick since I got back into work at lunch but reading a few of these posts I know I shouldnt feel so bad. I'm only driving about 6 weeks and most people are probably driving quite a few months. I re-applied straight away + with letter from my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

I cant believe it!! Im truely gutted. My first attempt in Finglas. The guy sat me down (the little bag of nerves that I was) and said since it was raining this morning, he wont do a bonnet check so asked me twice as many road signs (say about 15). All but 2 I answered straight away. I went blank on end of motor way and level crossing ahead because of nerves but did eventually answer them but gave a gobbledegook answer. Got a GRADE3 for that!! I appreciate that I need to know these things to be a competent driver but I didnt think it was worth failing me before I left the test centre. After that I got 3 grade 2's for clutch control and 2 grade 1's for observation when reversing.
    I felt sick since I got back into work at lunch but reading a few of these posts I know I shouldnt feel so bad. I'm only driving about 6 weeks and most people are probably driving quite a few months. I re-applied straight away + with letter from my job.

???

From Notes on the Driving Fault Marking Guidelines - Introduction
    Rules/Checks

Where 3 or more questions are not answered, or are incorrectly answered, a grade 2 fault should be recorded.

Where a 'Checks' fault is incurred in relation to the Doors, Mirrors, Seat, Seatbelt, or Head-Restraint adjustment as per the preamble requirement, it should be recorded opposite Rules/Checks and is inclusive of any Oral Test faults.

From Driving Fault Assessment Guidelines

For Rules/Checks In Grade 3 column (Dangerous or Potentially
    Dangerous) says Not applicable.

According to marking test guidelines you can not receive a grade 3 for rules/checks

I would contact Ballina first thing tomorrrow morning, or drop into the test center and ask to speak to the supervisor.

You must answer 3 or more questions incorrectly before you receive a grade 2

Plus, no matter how many you get wrong you can receive maximum of 1 (One) grade 2 fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yep that makes no sense. Sure the box is blacked out on the sheet, how did he mark it in? Anyway, you haven't been driving long, give it another shot!

Ok I left my score sheet at home, maybe I got it wrong if your telling me its blacked out. The exact line where I was marked Grade 3 X was at 'Traffic Signs', so unless I accidently ignored a Stop sign which would have been very unlikely (but none the less possible and unfortunate if I didnt see which would be down to bad observation).
    Theres a stop sign around from my house on a particularly quite road and I always Stop at it (as you should, nothing special about my actions) so Im not a risk taker at signs. Ah well sure I feel a bit better today then I did yesterday when I got back to work.
    I reapplied straight away with a letter from my job so I will just keep at it until then.

I went blank on end of motor way and level crossing ahead because of nerves but did eventually answer them but gave a gobbledegook answer. Got a GRADE3 for that!!
    The exact line where I was marked Grade 3 X was at 'Traffic Signs'
    I'm a bit confused.

On your first post you claim to have got a grade 3 for the theory questions.

On your next post you claim it was for 'traffic signs'!

I appreciate that you don't have the driving test report form with you but I'd like to know how you think you got a grade 3 for the theory questions? As others have said, that is not possible!

Excuse my ignorance but I did the test under the old system where there was no driving test report form. Under the present system, can the candidate see the tester mark the report form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

With SGS they use a palm pilot type device so you can see him tapping away at it in the corner of your eye during the test. At the test centre they hook it up to a computer and print off the report form.

Sorry for confusing you. Ok yesterday when I made my original post I was in a fluster because I'd only just got back from the test so perhaps I got it wrong. There is a section 2nd from the bottom on the scoring sheet where it refers to 'traffic signs'. At the beginning of the whole test, one is asked to answer questions on traffic signs. So I presume the fact that I got ticked grade 3 on traffic signs was for not giving a satisfactory answer. As I said, and you appreciate, I dont have my sheet with me today but can go through it more carefully today now that I've had the night to 'get over it' and get back on track...

There is a section 2nd from the bottom on the scoring sheet where it refers to 'traffic signs'. At the beginning of the whole test, one is asked to answer questions on traffic signs. So I presume the fact that I got ticked grade 3 on traffic signs was for not giving a satisfactory answer. ...
    Confusion sorted.

That section refers to failure to comply with traffic signs.

Good luck next time. :)

www.drivingschoolireland.com/appendix6_pdf

There is a scoring card here. If you see the section with traffic signs, its on the right half way down. The more I think about it the more I think I must have not stopped at a stop sign which I would be kicking myself about because I dont recall not stopping for any stop sign but if I didnt then I deserved a fail and need to work on my observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

"Traffic signs" comes under section 14 which is entitled "Comply with traffic controls". It has nothing to do with the theory section which comes under "Rules and Checks" and is section 1.

The fault you got for traffic signs would have been for not obeying a traffic sign during the course for your practical test and has nothing to do with whether or not you correctly answered the testers questions.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think that's in relation to road traffic signs, as opposed to the signs out of the book. So you could receive a grade three for clearly not having noted a sign, like a stop sign when you are actually driving. I have one of test sheets on the desk here and the box for grade three is definitely blanked out in technical checks.

Are you sure that it was in relation to the traffic sign questions or did you not spot one you should when on the road? Best of luck with your next test.

Sorry Im not too clued onto how to quote my last post but I did say that now its a new day, the more I examine my own actions, the more Im aware that I obviously didnt obey a sign which I deserved to fail on. Such a stupid mistake on my part. But thank you for backing up that I am now correct in understanding why I failed. Im actually a little relieved that it wasnt on the theory (and now Im told that you cant fail on the theory) because I felt like a complete plank for not having made it outside the test centre. Now I just feel a slightly less of plank for not observing some of the most basic things on the roads - signs!

Sorry Im not too clued onto how to quote my last post
    Click the QUOTE button on the bottom right of the post. Your post will appear and you can edit it if you wish - just like I did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Hard luck Smiley.

You would also have gained a fault for that. You must never gesture to another motorist while on the test. A reversing vehicle has no right of way and must give way to all other vehicles. It's acceptable to 'thank' another motorist but never signal anyone to move on. The rules seem to have changed as it used to be an automatic failure.

Just to let you know - the examiner actually told me to signal the other car on. :confused: What else could I do in that situation?

I have my next test tomorrow - am I allowed to have the same examiner? I'd really rather not, having just heard that he is the reason people fail all the time in Churchtown!!

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Just to let you know - the examiner actually told me to signal the other car on. :confused: What else could I do in that situation?
    Well if the examiner requested you to do it then you can't be penalised for it.
    Smiley012 wrote:
    I have my next test tomorrow - am I allowed to have the same examiner? I'd really rather not, having just heard that he is the reason people fail all the time in Churchtown!!
    AFAIK they always try to appoint a different examiner for subsequent tests hence the reason they ask, when applying, if you have done a test before and what test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jedro

Well if the examiner requested you to do it then you can't be penalised for it.

AFAIK they always try to appoint a different examiner for subsequent tests hence the reason they ask, when applying, if you have done a test before and what test centre.
    IF U CAN DRIVE DON;T MATTER WHO U GET AS THEY ONLY MARK WAT THEY C;)

jedro wrote: »
    IF U CAN DRIVE DON;T MATTER WHO U GET AS THEY ONLY MARK WAT THEY C;)
    Read the Charter jedro - no TXT SPK here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Artick89

I failed my test for the third time in Ballymun today. The SGS tester made me feel very relaxed and I drove as well as I've ever driven in a test but I ended up with 11 grade 2 errors.

Some of the grade 2 errors confused me. He gave me a grade 2 error for not executing the turnabout competently. I completed it in five turns. However, he said the road was wide enough for me to complete it in three turns. He said that I "did not use the full width of the road". He also said that he passed another candidate 3 weeks ago who completed the turnabout in three turns. This criteria is new to me. Is he right?

I got a grade 2 error for not parking competently. At the end of the test, I made a mess of parking the car; I parked it so that it was half in one parking space and half in another. He asked me if I wanted to park the car again and then I parked it properly. Is parking the car in the test centre parking space part of the test? I've always thought it wasn't so maybe I received the grade 2 error for parking I did by the side of roads before the turnabout or reversing around the corner.

He also said that I went too wide when reversing around the corner. I don't think I did.

I didn't challenge the tester's views; he probably would have ended the conversation as he is under no obligation to discuss test results with a candidate and I'm grateful he did. But as others have said here, some testers are more lenient than others.

Hard luck with that but dont let it put you off too much Artick89. Yes you are quite lucky that he discussed why exactly he failed you when it took me a while to realise why I failed. I got something like 6 grade 2's and 1 grade 3. The grade 3 that failed me (contrary to me believing in previous posts I wrote that maybe I ran a stop sign) was according to my instructor after we went through every detail was upon leaving the Jamestown Ind. Estate in Finglas a car on the main road beckoned me out. I waved no thanks but he just sat there with 2 cars behind him and 1 behind me. I thought I might be done for obstruction and so just went -TICK RED. Doh!!! I should have insisted that he move on because HE had right of way and although he was just being nice (perhaps knowing that i was on a test) but it hindered my chances completly.
    Some of the most competent drivers I know got it on their 5th or 6th test and some of the 'less adequate' drivers I know got it in their 1st or 2nd time. So try not to let it get to you too much xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Some of the most competent drivers I know got it on their 5th or 6th test and some of the 'less adequate' drivers I know got it in their 1st or 2nd time. So try not to let it get to you too much xx

That is actually a very decent point. If you do go and pass it first time, your more likley to think to yourself "I'm a good driver", whereas those who don't go on learning and with our waiting lists, end up with more experience.

Advertisement