Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 experiment626

dennyk wrote: »
    Well, I'd be more worried about the Grade 2s, honestly; that's a lot of mistakes, and stuff like signaling and stopping at stop signs are pretty basic things that you really shouldn't be missing. Were you just nervous or something? Might want to book a pre-test with your driving instructor next time, to get you in the right mindset before your actual test.

6 of my grade 2's were for coasting so I think if I practice and practice not doing that I'll be okay. 3 of the others happened in the first ten minutes and the examiner said that after that I visibly relaxed and made less errors. So I guess if I just keep calm and get a few more lessons in it won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Failed on Friday in Dungarvan. Had 15 grade 2's (for failing to indicate when leaving a roundabout, not stopping at a stop line, progression and one for observation during the turnabout). Also got 1 grade 3 for being in the wrong lane in a roundabout. (If anyone knows Dungarvan, it's the one out by the nissan garage.) The roundabout had only 3 exits, but when he said take the second exit I stayed in the left lane when I should have been in the right. My instructor told me that first and second exits you stay in the left, obviously this isn't the case?

Know that place well - been taken there several times by my own instructor.

For a regular roundabout, the way you've said is correct, but as that one (I'm guessing you were taking the exit for Eurofins/GSK and not out to An Rinn) is treated as a right tun off a roundabout. It's more about the position of the exit rather than the 3-6-9 rule in that case, and unfortunately the G3 was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fiona11

I just failed for the third time in the Raheny test centre with 9 grade 2s - 4 of which were for footbrake (I have been using my driving instructor's car for the test as I can't afford to insure my own car on a learner's permit - his car is 10 years newer than mine and the brake is much more sensitive - excuses, I know, but I know that I don't do this in my car and thought I had rectified the problem in his car...). I'm feeling so upset about failing again and I guess I was just looking for some advice.. I failed the first one pretty badly (including grades for braking) then 13 grade 2s on the second (no braking errors) and now 9 on the third try. I know I'm getting better each time but I just feel like there's no consistency and I can be failed on anything. I can't afford to keep spending €85 on the test plus €99 on hiring the car when I feel like I'm getting nowhere.. any advice is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

fiona11 wrote: »
    I just failed for the third time in the Raheny test centre with 9 grade 2s - 4 of which were for footbrake (I have been using my driving instructor's car for the test as I can't afford to insure my own car on a learner's permit - his car is 10 years newer than mine and the brake is much more sensitive - excuses, I know, but I know that I don't do this in my car and thought I had rectified the problem in his car...). I'm feeling so upset about failing again and I guess I was just looking for some advice.. I failed the first one pretty badly (including grades for braking) then 13 grade 2s on the second (no braking errors) and now 9 on the third try. I know I'm getting better each time but I just feel like there's no consistency and I can be failed on anything. I can't afford to keep spending €85 on the test plus €99 on hiring the car when I feel like I'm getting nowhere.. any advice is welcome.

New instructor? Just for a fresh set of eyes and a different approach. They may notice straight away where you're going wrong. Even just a pre test with a different instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

fiona11 wrote: »

I know the feeling, I failed today for the second time, so,show managed to pick up more grade 2s than the first time, just going to apply again and practice as best I can
    Good luck !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Smagyo

Today I took my second driving test and failed by one grade 2 (after failing the first one by two grade 2's). The first time I was taking my test, I was messed around with. I was texted the morning of the test, about two hours before it saying that my test had been postponed due to the tester being sick. After already taking the day off work I was obviously annoyed. They postponed my test for another two weeks. After failing me mainly for observation, I was lead to believe that I wasn't observant enough. The day I failed, I immediately booked my test again and went on the cancellation list. My friend, who failed his test one week after mine, booked his test the day he failed also. He received a date for two weeks after within 10 days. I thought that I would have been offered a date before him considering that I was on the waiting list a week before him? I emailed the RSA expressing my concerns and they said that they would try and get me a date. Many weeks after, I emailed again asking if my booking had been lost in the system. I was now waiting 8 weeks to get a date. They replied and gave me a date which was two weeks away, today, the 22nd september. I failed my test today by one grade 2. I was extremely careful to be extra observant, exaggerating my head movements etc. When I returned back to the centre I was questioning the tester on some of the marks that I had. Most marks were again for observation to do with mirrors, which I over exaggerated completely. I questioned my tester on one mark specifically which was for clutch control. He said that at one point I took too long to release my foot off the clutch. I asked him when and where this occurred during the test. He unfortunately "wasn't able to remember". I think that the system is corrupt, and the testers are looking for reasons to fail people to keep their pass/fail percentages at the same levels. I also don't think it's any coincidence that I am a 17 year old male. Now I am going to have to pay another 85 euro and wait for more time before I can drive. I have already spent hundreds on pretests because of the fact that they moved my test before. Bulls*** if you ask me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

So I failed my first ever driving test in Churchtown today. Got 11 Grade 2s, 3 of which were for my left turns being a little too wide. I am a little disappointed as I have been properly driving 7 months and have had a learner permit status for past 9 years. Took 4 instructors to get to someone who could inspire me and help me believe I can drive. But I'm happier as I had automatically failed my pretests prior to sitting the exam, so I must be making progress. I have booked another driving test, plan to practice getting my left turn manoeuvres and observation better and just work on the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lee_steacy

Failed on Friday 28th of October 2016 in tallaght for 19 grade 2s. 7 for footbrake. 8 for progression. None for observation. All the manoeuvres were perfect... I'm really confused about the footbrake thing. I think he said something like I was slowing down and then accelerating... I really can't remember and I don't know how to improve it because it has never been pointed as a problem. Or is it when he asked me to pull in for a manoeuvre I was pulling In braking and going forward lining the car rather than in one notion? 3 points on progression turning left. It's possible but I didn't think so at the time. There was 7 of us there at that time of the afternoon and we all failed. As I got back to the centre I thought to myself there was nothing I could have done that was bad enough to fail... little did I know... I know it's hard to give advice because I can't properly explain what I did wrong but I can't find anywhere a breakdown of incorrect use of the footbrake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ I used to break and then accelerate a lot when I started driving. Like going around corners, turning into other roads etc...It has to be done sometimes but usually if you're slowing down you should know when to start slowing down and not have accelerate... Difficult to explain it but asked your instructor or even another instructor about it. It was actually my brother that pointed out to me I was doing it. Best of luck next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭dennyk

One thing inexperienced drivers tend to do is get too excessive with their control inputs; they'll accelerate rather hard, overshoot their desired speed, notice they're going to fast, and jab the brake, slowing down too abruptly and too much. Coming to a junction or roundabout, they'll be too heavy on the brake at the beginning or the end of their maneuver, slowing down too abruptly. They'll also use brakes at inappropriate times; I've even seen people brake for absolutely no reason on a clear motorway, instead of simply letting off the gas a bit to slow down. These actions can create a safety hazard, as other drivers aren't expecting you to brake abruptly for no apparent reason, and using the brake inappropriately also hurts gas mileage, as it creates more wasted acceleration.

Ideally, you should be using the brake as little as possible, and when using it, brake gently and smoothly (except in an emergency situation, of course). Use controlled application of throttle and your gears to gradually adjust your speed for upcoming road situations (speed limits, parked cars, curves, etc.) in good time and you often won't have to brake at all.

When stopping, don't just jab the brakes hard; apply them gently at first to begin slowing, then slowly press the brake a bit harder as your car slows down (while managing your clutch and gears appropriately if you're in a manual), then start letting off the brake a bit as your car slows to a stop, to avoid that hard rebound movement you experience when you stop too suddenly. Ideally, your maximum brake pedal pressure should be around the middle of your maneuver, with less pressure applied at the beginning and at the end; this will make your braking maneuver nice and smooth. You also want to time your braking appropriately; if you brake too hard or too early, you'll have to get back on the gas again to maintain proper speed, which wastes fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lee_steacy

Thanks for the response. However that wasn't the problem. I brake gently all the time obviously unless it's an emergency. What I was doing was slowing down too early to drop into second gear so I can take the turn which would have done me on progression and footbrake. So it's my own fault, I do feel it was still harsh tho considering all the manouveres were perfect and I had no marks for observations. I do believe they have to fail so many. What I need to know is can you come to a stop In 4th gear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭J_R

Lee_steacy wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. However that wasn't the problem. I brake gently all the time obviously unless it's an emergency. What I was doing was slowing down too early to drop into second gear so I can take the turn which would have done me on progression and footbrake. So it's my own fault, I do feel it was still harsh tho considering all the manouveres were perfect and I had no marks for observations. I do believe they have to fail so many. What I need to know is can you come to a stop In 4th gear ?
    What I need to know is can you come to a stop In 4th gear ?

Hi,

Of course you can. There is no need whatsoever to change down before stopping. I had my pupils stop in sixth (6th) gear in the test and they were not marked.

But I did have a chat with one of the examiners when I first started as an instructor. He told one of my pupils he would prefer if he changed down, not relied solely on the brakes when stopping.

The pupil was a young lad, an exceptionally good driver and approaching the junctions he would have been travelling at the absolute maximum safe speed. And he would have left it as late as safely possible before braking. I could understand the examiners worry as the car was one of the very first original "Hot Hatches", a VW Golf MK1.

The pupil had restored it himself, done a fantastic job, absolutely pristine, BUT the examiner could be worried that perhaps the brake pipes, joints, seals etc were untouched, still the original ones installed in 1976 or whenever - hence the worry.

Even so, the examiner did not mark him for not changing down. Until our chat the examiner did not know that the Institute of Advanced Motorists (UK) recommends not changing down before coming to a stop.

Re Braking
    I brake gently all the time
    But you should not. It depends on your speed. Slow, brake gently, doing say 100 Kmh if you brake gently you are burning your brake pads and only slowly killing your speed. At 100 Kmh, brake firmly. You first take up the slack in the brake pedal then brake Firmly, you should feel the car slow immediately. Then as the car slows, less and less pressure. aim to stop just before where you must stop, then when you reach that point get off the brake and the car rolls gently to a stop.

As emergency braking is not done in the Irish test, I am under the impression that few driving instructors actually teach braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Re Braking
    But you should not. It depends on your speed. Slow, brake gently, doing say 100 Kmh if you brake gently you are burning your brake pads and only slowly killing your speed. At 100 Kmh, brake firmly. You first take up the slack in the brake pedal then brake Firmly, you should feel the car slow immediately. Then as the car slows, less and less pressure. aim to stop just before where you must stop, then when you reach that point get off the brake and the car rolls gently to a stop.

As emergency braking is not done in the Irish test, I am under the impression that few driving instructors actually teach braking.
    Define firmly to me firmly is pussing the brakes quite hard, which is terrible at high speeds.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Define firmly to me firmly is pussing the brakes quite hard, which is terrible at high speeds.

Firmly. Somewhere between Gently and Quite Hard. But the actual pressure would really depend on the circumstances.

Sorry, can not give exact pounds per square inch pressure, when teaching I would explain to the pupil what was expected, how to do it and then let them find the proper pressure so that the car slowed smoothly, progressively and came to a gentle stop. (And also how to do emergency stops - where they would brake hard).

Taught Braking on the 2nd lesson. Would have the pupil speed up to 100 Kmh then tell them to "Stop quickly". Sometimes very little change in speed, when I'd ask, what's wrong can't you brake ?, I'd be told "But I am braking".

Problem was of course they were using the same pressure they used on the first lesson when we were doing car, clutch control and steering - Travelling at low speeds. I'd then tell them to brake harder then, which they would and never and any problem.

Suppose you turn a bicycle upside down to repair punctures on the two wheels. You give the front wheel a little spin, you then press your hand gently against the tyre to bring the wheel to a stop. You repair the front wheel.

Now the rear wheel. But first you use the pedal and you turn it as fast as possible so that the back wheel is spinning madly. (If the bike was upright it would be doing 60 Kmh down the road). Now would you press your hand gently against the tyre to stop the wheel ?

Hi,

what exactly do you find terrible about it ?

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

what exactly do you find terrible about it ?

Simply you breaking hardtack high speeds can catch other drivers behind you and as the braking travels down the cars behind you can create a concertina effect and you might not be in an accident, but you could have created one further behind you. That and not all cars have abs, also can create aquaplaneing on a wet day and potentially abs may not work + it's a lot worse on your brakes.

Simply you breaking hardtack high speeds can catch other drivers behind you and as the braking travels down the cars behind you can create a concertina effect and you might not be in an accident, but you could have created one further behind you. That and not all cars have abs, also can create aquaplaneing on a wet day and potentially abs may not work + it's a lot worse on your brakes.

Hi,

sorry, I assumed you were discussing the bare mechanics of braking, not overall driving. Before a competent driver does anything in a car they first check that it is safe to do so. So, I assumed that you were not talking about the very basic necessity of checking the rear view mirror for following traffic before braking -irrespective what pressure they were applying to the brakes. As for wet roads, snow or ice, on a bend. etc., again a competent driver would allow for all these little extras and make due allowances.

+ My analogy using a bicycle wheel did not work then. When brake pads get hot they lose their ability to work. The surface gets slippy. Its called "fading". Years ago, (in my younger days) very few cars had power assisted brakes, so unless a person had an exceptionally strong right foot all braking pressure was lighter than today's. Therefore everybody braked "gently". (Comparing to present day) And back then a very common cause of accidents attributed to braking was that the brakes "faded". They got hot and simply faded away.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Natashaw88x

Failed today in raheny, my first time 😭 I kind of went in thinking I would. But I failed on things that I never do wrong! I got 8 grade 2's in total..4 for progression..being too over cautious..so not picking up enough speed. So disheartened..the other 4 grade 2's were for clearance, clutch and I got a mark for my reverse..ugh thoughts of having to do it again 😰Tell me the second time is easier

Failed today in raheny, my first time 😭 I kind of went in thinking I would. But I failed on things that I never do wrong! I got 8 grade 2's in total..4 for progression..being too over cautious..so not picking up enough speed. So disheartened..the other 4 grade 2's were for clearance, clutch and I got a mark for my reverse..ugh thoughts of having to do it again 😰Tell me the second time is easier

It will be and I found I was confident the first 2 times and third time when I thought I actually passed, I thought I did my worst test of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kev_M

Failed in Tallaght yesterday, 25th of November.
    10 grade twos with six under observation.

Afterwards, my instructor was a bit mean. He had known the tester from going up all the time with other students. Afterwards, he said he was the nicest tester I could have gotten, thought I would have walked it with him and I was the first student of his to fail with this tester. Not very inspiring stuff.

Just a bit deflated at the moment. I thought my observation was fine, but I suppose it's not based on the test. The instructor had never pointed anything out so I did as I usually did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Kev_M wrote: »

Afterwards, my instructor was a bit mean. He had known the tester from going up all the time with other students. Afterwards, he said he was the nicest tester I could have gotten, thought I would have walked it with him and I was the first student of his to fail with this tester. Not very inspiring stuff.

Just a bit deflated at the moment. I thought my observation was fine, but I suppose it's not based on the test. The instructor had never pointed anything out so I did as I usually did.

Change instructor!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Kev_M wrote: »

Afterwards, my instructor was a bit mean.

Drop this instructor like a hot brick. Literally never contact them again and find someone else. That might teach them some manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Your instructor sounds like a right a-hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Son failed yesterday.

Can anyone recommend someone who fine tunes whats needed for the driving test.His instructor was good but I would like a set of fresh eyes, Im kind of thinking of someone who specialises in pre tests.

Its South Dublin area.

Mary63 wrote: »
    Son failed yesterday.

Can anyone recommend someone who fine tunes whats needed for the driving test.His instructor was good but I would like a set of fresh eyes, Im kind of thinking of someone who specialises in pre tests.

Its South Dublin area.

What did he fail on and how badly. Sometimes I feel instructors are only useful to a point as they probably don't notice something that an tester might and that differs between testers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

He failed on observation and not looking over his shoulder enough.He thought he spent too much time looking over his shoulder.

Daughter who is two years younger passed at her first attempt in June,she was seventeen and he is twenty now.I would have thought their driving standard is fairly similar.

I don't want to see him trying this up to eight times so if anyone knows someone who is very good at getting people through could I have details.I know someone who got it recently on their ninth attempt and two more who have failed it six times each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Failed my driving test, third time. Everyone was saying it was nerves, even my driving instructors. I ended up getting 29 marks in total 13 grade 1's and 16 grades twos.:( I thought I did better this time, I only got 9 the last time. I stalled twice though, had the car in neutral when I was driving off for the hill start, turned right onto a main road a little too soon (I cut it a little tight, but not dangerous) he noted my observation when turning right and at roundabouts which I made sure to constantly look in my mirrors. I thought my observation was good. My instructor told me to book another test right away.

I'm not sure myself it was all nerves, though I hadn't stalled up until then, the hill start was actually fine once I got going and he even had me do a reverse around a corner I had not practiced with the instructor and I did it fine. But I can be hesitant and not a fully confident driver but I feel I progressed well at roundabouts today. Just 29 marks :eek:

Failed my driving test, third time. Everyone was saying it was nerves, even my driving instructors. I ended up getting 29 marks in total 13 grade 1's and 16 grades twos.:( I thought I did better this time, I only got 9 the last time. I stalled twice though, had the car in neutral when I was driving off for the hill start, turned right onto a main road a little too soon (I cut it a little tight, but not dangerous) he noted my observation when turning right and at roundabouts which I made sure to constantly look in my mirrors. I thought my observation was good. My instructor told me to book another test right away.

I'm not sure myself it was all nerves, though I hadn't stalled up until then, the hill start was actually fine once I got going and he even had me do a reverse around a corner I had not practiced with the instructor and I did it fine. But I can be hesitant and not a fully confident driver but I feel I progressed well at roundabouts today. Just 29 marks :eek:

Only the grade 2's count so wouldn't bother with that number. I think you should book straight away, worked for me as I had a long time between first and second but only about 2 weeks between 2nd and third and passed third which is the one I really thought I failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Failed miserably in Cork today. Two Grade 3 faults in Reaction and Progress.

Definitely blame nerves, I was overly cautious and didn't show progress because I was going 40/45 in a 50 zone. Assessor was an asshole though. "You don't drive like that all the time, do you? Like, have you had lessons?"
    I didn't cry in his face. That's one thing I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Natashaw88x

Failed miserably in Cork today. Two Grade 3 faults in Reaction and Progress.

Definitely blame nerves, I was overly cautious and didn't show progress because I was going 40/45 in a 50 zone. Assessor was an asshole though. "You don't drive like that all the time, do you? Like, have you had lessons?"
    I didn't cry in his face. That's one thing I can say.

I failed my first test 4 weeks ago for being over cautious, going about 40 in a 50 zone too. That's all down to nerves. I rebooked straight away and told not a single soul. No pressure no expectations. Book it again if you fail you fail! I passed mine on the second time on Thursday. I wasn't Half as nervous and flew through it. Ignore the asserors comments..

Advertisement