Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Barbes

I already posted this in the successful thread, but I just want to say to anyone who's feeling like they'll never get the thing: first time I failed spectacularly with 17 grade twos (and a rake of grade ones as well). Second time I had only four grade twos. But there were only a few weeks and six hours of driving between the two tests. I don't have my own car or a family car to practise in, so the only driving I did was in my instructor's car. Nerves can have such a huge effect on the outcome of the test. And so can the tester. The first fellah I had was really severe and humourless; the second was a lovely guy who really put me at ease. You'll get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Barbes wrote: »
    I already posted this in the successful thread, but I just want to say to anyone who's feeling like they'll never get the thing: first time I failed spectacularly with 17 grade twos (and a rake of grade ones as well). Second time I had only four grade twos. But there were only a few weeks and six hours of driving between the two tests. I don't have my own car or a family car to practise in, so the only driving I did was in my instructor's car. Nerves can have such a huge effect on the outcome of the test. And so can the tester. The first fellah I had was really severe and humourless; the second was a lovely guy who really put me at ease. You'll get there!

I failed my test for the third time there recently and I'm scared to do it a fourth time and fail. I haven't been driving since I failed my test in early December, I just can't face the car. I tried to drive the the other day and just completely hesitated at a roundabout that I hate generally.

I feel after failing it a third time it was a sign to just stop. Maybe I'm just not meant to drive. When I failed everyone was saying it was purely nerves but I'm not sure, maybe I'm just not cut out for driving.

I mean a poster in another thread pointed out that the Irish driving test is simply and if you can't pass that the first time, you shouldn't be driving. In my case, that might be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I failed my test for the third time there recently and I'm scared to do it a fourth time and fail. I haven't been driving since I failed my test in early December, I just can't face the car. I tried to drive the the other day and just completely hesitated at a roundabout that I hate generally.

I feel after failing it a third time it was a sign to just stop. Maybe I'm just not meant to drive. When I failed everyone was saying it was purely nerves but I'm not sure, maybe I'm just not cut out for driving.

I mean a poster in another thread pointed out that the Irish driving test is simply and if you can't pass that the first time, you shouldn't be driving. In my case, that might be true.

As the saying goes, try, try again. The driving test is very intimidating. Keep practising and you'll get it the next time! It's all about a positive attitude.

Some of the testers will look at the bigger picture and realise the mistakes you make may be caused by nerves etc, and you might not have made them if it wasn't in a test evnvironment. Keep trying and you'll get there :)

Failed miserably in Cork today. Two Grade 3 faults in Reaction and Progress.

Definitely blame nerves, I was overly cautious and didn't show progress because I was going 40/45 in a 50 zone. Assessor was an asshole though. "You don't drive like that all the time, do you? Like, have you had lessons?"
    I didn't cry in his face. That's one thing I can say.
    My Instructor for my first test, after he told me I'd failed, started asking was I a confident person (I thought he meant when driving) but he went into whether I was a confident person in life. In his mind he was probably trying to be helpful but I didn't like him (he keep calling me a good girl throughout the test when giving me an instruction) and frankly I felt quite self conscious and didn't appreciate him getting so personal though I understand he was most likely trying to gauge whether my failing NY test was nerves. It felt weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The Irish test is not simple - if that was the case, everyone would pass it first time but the majority do not. I've taken an American test and that was simple; driving around some cones, stopping at stop signs, turns etc. The Irish test is long and stressful so don't give yourself a hard time. You just need more experience (and confidence) and you'll get there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

Rasmus wrote: »
    I've taken an American test and that was simple; driving around some cones, stopping at stop signs, turns etc.

Tests in the US vary by state, but many are indeed ridiculous. Originally got my license in Florida a couple decades ago and the test was literally nothing but driving around in an empty parking lot with fake road markings for about fifteen minutes; no time on public roads at all. There were also no required lessons or practice time or anything.

The theory test you had to take to get a learner's permit was similar to the Irish one, but with a lot more questions about pointless bits of road law trivia and obscure road signs that meant most of the questions on the test had no bearing on the actual rules of the road you'd need to know. The end result was that it was technically possible for you to get a full driver's license that allowed you to drive not just a car, but any vehicle up to 12 tonnes (and a motor home of any GVWR!) all by yourself without ever having driven on a public roadway and only knowing a tiny fraction of the traffic laws that were actually applicable to everyday driving. :eek:

Compared to that, the Irish test is definitely a challenge; I only passed on my first go here because I already had a good couple decades of driving experience and therefore didn't have any issues with nerves or anything during the test. If I'd had to take the Irish test as a newbie back when I first started, I'd have failed it, no question, and probably several times at that. The more you practice, the easier it will get and the more confident you'll be, though, and that's the real key. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

Failed my test for the third time yesterday morning. I had 8 grade 2s and 1 grade 3.

I was told that the grade 3 was given because the windows had become fogged up. I did not realise that they were allowed to give a fail for this.

The weather was extremely murky yesterday so I did put the heat on for a few minutes and then turned it off because the car became very warm. I then opened my window to try and clear it but the tester said it wasn't good enough.

I drove fine and although it was misty, it did not affect my driving. When I asked to discuss this afterwards, I was refused.

I received my marking sheet and the grade 3 was recorded as something completely different. Apparently I failed to yield at a mini roundabout. The only mini roundabout that we passed was the one in my own housing estate. I was the only car in the area at the time so I am at a loss as to who I was supposed to yield to. I drove around it the exact same way during my last test and did not receive a mark.

I am also now uncertain as to the real reason for my Grade 3 yesterday. Was it the fog or the roundabout? I am at a complete loss as what to do now. I have already spent over €1,000 on lessons, pre-tests and tests and can't afford to keep paying out. I am booked to do it again on a Saturday in 6 weeks time because I can no longer get the time off work.

I couldn't have driven any better yesterday and I still failed it. i feel as if I will never get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Claireyy wrote: »
    Failed my test for the third time yesterday morning. I had 8 grade 2s and 1 grade 3.

I was told that the grade 3 was given because the windows had become fogged up. I did not realise that they were allowed to give a fail for this.

The weather was extremely murky yesterday so I did put the heat on for a few minutes and then turned it off because the car became very warm. I then opened my window to try and clear it but the tester said it wasn't good enough.

I drove fine and although it was misty, it did not affect my driving. When I asked to discuss this afterwards, I was refused.

I received my marking sheet and the grade 3 was recorded as something completely different. Apparently I failed to yield at a mini roundabout. The only mini roundabout that we passed was the one in my own housing estate. I was the only car in the area at the time so I am at a loss as to who I was supposed to yield to. I drove around it the exact same way during my last test and did not receive a mark.

I am also now uncertain as to the real reason for my Grade 3 yesterday. Was it the fog or the roundabout? I am at a complete loss as what to do now. I have already spent over €1,000 on lessons, pre-tests and tests and can't afford to keep paying out. I am booked to do it again on a Saturday in 6 weeks time because I can no longer get the time off work.

I couldn't have driven any better yesterday and I still failed it. i feel as if I will never get it now.

Definitely appeal that. The fact that he refused to discuss it with you is bad enough, but telling you that failed for one thing and then having it down as something else is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Testers do not invent reasons for failing. (no need). If, as you say you only negotiated the one mini roundabout on the test then due to the fogged up windows you completely failed to see the other car.

Change your driving instructor. Forget pretests, get a few proper lessons. You have now done three real tests - the only genuine accurate ones
    that mean anything.
    P.S. Did you also get marks for OBS. ?

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Testers do not invent reasons for failing. (no need). If, as you say you only negotiated the one mini roundabout on the test then due to the fogged up windows you completely failed to see the other car.

Change your driving instructor. Forget pretests, get a few proper lessons. You have now done three real tests - the only genuine accurate ones
    that mean anything.
    P.S. Did you also get marks for OBS. ?

I never said that they invented reasons. I said that it was inconsistent telling me it was fog and marking it as roundabout. I had 2 marks for observation, one for looking too much on the reverse and one for that. The windows were not that fogged that I could not see right in front of me. There were no other cars, people, cyclists or pedestrians around. It was obviously because I did not slow adequately enough before going around it.

I think if the fog was that bad, he would have said something to me while we were on the road and I certainly would have had more grade 2s than 8. Straight after the test, I got back into the car 5/10 mins later and the windows were completely clear.

Anyway, I've tried to book it again but I've been told this morning I'll be waiting around 4 months because they failed to confirm the previous date that they offered me, despite me saying I'd take it. I can only do Saturdays now because I can't get the time off from work anymore and I'm about to start a new job so won't have any annual leave for months.

I'm not doing anymore lessons. I've already had two different instructors and done 24 and 3 pre-tests. I physically can't afford to keep paying out. None of these things are cheap.

The last test I was told I was going too fast so I slowed down a bit this time and got marks for being too slow. Driving shouldn't be subjective but it is and I have the marking sheets to show it. It's extremely disheartening and I can't take much more of it. Although I got 14 grade 2s in my first test, I knew where I'd made the mistakes and the tester was nice about it and made me feel comfortable. I'm disappointed in myself for not managing to pass it then because I made stupid little errors and thought that I would've had far more marks since it was my first go. However, since then things have gone downhill. I'm naturally a nervous and anxious person and the last two testers that I had only increased that. They made me feel really uncomfortable and this causes my mistakes. I should've asked to pull over and sort out the fog properly but I didn't have the nerve. During my second test, I was physically shaking because I knew I'd already failed once and didn't want to repeat that, which affected my driving. It took everything in me to remain considerably calmer the other day and I still failed. I can't see how next time will be any different.

• Advertisement

This is exactly my feelings. Recently failing for the third time by one mark has really gotten me down. I haven't been able to concentrate properly in work or enjoy myself outside of it as I keep thinking about the driving test. Although, it's only been a couple of days, I too haven't driven since. It's causing me emotional distress and I'm starting to think it's just not worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kingrook

Hi All,

I failed in 1st attempt but passed in 2nd attempt. Here is the story so far.

First , About Me : I have been driving in India for 10 years and after coming to Ireland I took EDT. I feel this is required and good for someone who is not used to driving in Ireland. It helped me a lot to correct few of my driving mistakes. I don't drive daily and take out car only on weekends and that too very short distance.
    I wanted to get Churchtown Driving center as it is near to my home but could not get appointment and the earliest I could get was in Raheny. So, Raheny confirmed.

1st Attempt : I took a pre-test a week before the test. It did not go well. The instructor pointed out lot of loopholes in my driving. I realized that most of them were due to lack of practice. On the plus side, since I was not aware of Raheny routes, pre-test helped my in getting aware of route. I had a week times and corrected reverse round the corner, turnabout, moving off procedure, theory questions and hill start.
    On the day of test, frankly speaking , I was not confident .

I fumbled in one theory question related to road signs.

Test started and initially it went smooth. My first mistake was at one signal where I should have pulled hand brake to prevent car to roll back when starting off. So when I started, teh car rolled back a bit. Anyway, I carried on and other manoeuvres like reverse round the corner, turnabout, roundabouts went fine. No mistakes there.
    My next blunder came in hill start. It was not that I was not aware of the procedure. However, I was under the impression that the instructor would specify that next moving off is a hill start. The place where hill start happened was not very steep and very slight ascent. I started without applying handbrakes :-( .
    Next blunder was in mini-roundabouts. Raheny route has many mini-roundabouts. Some are so mini , that you tend to forget the exact procedure when entering and exiting. I think in couple of mini-roundabouts , I just went straight ahead, without looking of traffic. Actually, the area was so quite that I forgot to look left :-).

So I failed with 1 Grade 3 (mini-roundabout), 9 Grade 2 (hand-brake, roundabout, etc) and 3 Grade 1.

2nd Attempt :
    I corrected all my mistakes from previous attempt. Practiced a lot. Went to different routes around my home.
    Just before the test , I booked a pre-test. Some minor flaws were corrected. There were around approaching and exiting T-junction.
    My test was scheduled on Friday afternoon. Theory went well. No mistakes. Car check went fine. The instructor was very cool. Driving started well. There was one point though where the route is very tricky. I think it is on Houth road. On approaching, there is yellow box in front of you across the road. I was asked to take right. But it's very tricky to get past it as there is a traffic left and right. Anyone on raheny route should practice that . All other aspects went fine.
    There were 4 minor things which the tester said I should be careful. I am still waiting for the final report.

All the best to all the candidates :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Didnt pass or fail but my test wasnt conducted ( feels like a fail to me after being so prepared and acing my pre test this morning) was called off due to strong winds ( motorcycle test)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Didnt pass or fail but my test wasnt conducted ( feels like a fail to me after being so prepared and acing my pre test this morning) was called off due to strong winds ( motorcycle test)

Ah that's unfortunate :(

This is exactly my feelings. Recently failing for the third time by one mark has really gotten me down. I haven't been able to concentrate properly in work or enjoy myself outside of it as I keep thinking about the driving test. Although, it's only been a couple of days, I too haven't driven since. It's causing me emotional distress and I'm starting to think it's just not worth it anymore.

I felt very like you, and haven't driven since failing my test. I was stubborn about getting back to driving. It's as if I enjoy myself suffering. But reading your posts, which were a reflection of my mindset, my first instinct is to tell you to keep going. There's no point playing the last test over in your head. Unless it's constructive, forget about it.

Try again, practice with a relative and take one or two tests with an instructor nearer to the test, put money aside, tell yourself you can't afford to fail (but don't work yourself into a state, use it as a motivator to practice). You didn't fail, you improved. That improvement was just short of passing. You have said it yourself, you were calmer this time around, more confident. There was a small bit of nervousness there but the biggest thing to take away from it was that you got better. You weren't the same as the last time. :) Get an instructor to go over where you failed exactly and practice those points, as minor things can add up. But don't give up, so it takes you 4,5 times to pass your test.

Who cares?? More than not, you'll be a better driver than people who passed it the first time because you've covered how to drive exactly so many times. But more importantly, who cares, if it means you can pass and can drive? Apply for a cancellation, you'll be waiting too long for a brand new test. Ring them up and get them to put you on the cancellation list. The most you'd have to do is take a half day off work (even less if you can). Tell your work you've booked a cancellation date, I'm sure they'll understand. Don't do like me and leave it two months before you get back into the car - because you'll be nervous all over again. Get a cancellation, practice, practice, practice and own that test!! Do not let your having failed before make any difference. The tester doesn't know and frankly, he doesn't care. If it helps (and it sounds harsh) at the end of the day it matters to no one BUT YOU that you pass the test. No one is going to follow you around in life all the time to push you to do things to improve your life. You need this, so do it.

Reading your comments actually made me realise how foolish I've been - fighting against myself and putting roadblocks in my own way with the way I've been acting after I failed. Get back in the car and drive. In the words of Rihanna: Shut up and drive. I wish you all the best and really hope you motivate yourself to keep trying because some things just need a little bit more effort. The important thing is with each tie you improve even if that is small :) Everyone is nervous without enough practice, like everything, like a new job etc. But if a woman can put on mascara while driving on the motorway you can pass your test. If Donald Trump can become president, you can pass your test. Keeping saying that in your head!!:) I really hope you go and do it, because you should respect yourself enough NOT to give up.
    /I'm sorry that was so long, got a little caught up in that reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shanno666

failed in raheny today, first time doing it and 2 days practice, got 8 grade 2s 4 for coasting on the clutch :( instructer was nice and fair and said he could of gave me a grade 3 for the coasting but was trying to give me the benifit of doubt. will re apply and take some pre test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

shanno666 wrote: »
    failed in raheny today, first time doing it and 2 days practice, got 8 grade 2s 4 for coasting on the clutch :( instructer was nice and fair and said he could of gave me a grade 3 for the coasting but was trying to give me the benifit of doubt. will re apply and take some pre test

Well now you know where you need to improve and that's very definite feedback so next time you should be grand :)

shanno666 wrote: »

Coasting on the clutch is my favourite pastime haha. Coasting away so I am. It's a tough habit to get out of, but you'll do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Failed the truck test.

Absolutely raging. 1 grade 2, 2 grade 1's but a big fat grade 3 for excess speed.
    In fairness to the tester, I would have marked myself because even I felt it was to fast. It was a long downhill stretch coming up to a bit of traffic. Normally I would scrub off a lot of speed before cresting the hill but I was so nervous about getting marked for progress I didnt so she ran away on me a bit, and again I was worried about getting marked for progress so didn't bring it back as much as I should have.

Unbelievably annoyed. Everything else was ridiculous, I had people cut me off, reverse out in front of me, block my side of the road, badly parked cars, wobbly cyclists, an ambulance coming up behind me. Didn't get a single mark for how I handled any of those things.
    The tester was sound and seemed happy to discuss the whole test with me though so that was atleast some consolation.

The worse thing for me now is getting more lessons. I feel like if the instructors hadn't been going on and on about progress I wouldn't have been so worried.
    Next time I'm just gonna drive the truck and forget everything. I actually found the instructors detrimental to be honest. I couldnt even drive a mini with one of them sitting next to me. It's like a two hour nagging session, cancelled the indicator a fraction of a second too late, nagged, change up a gear a little too late, nagged. They seemed to be constantly on about things that were not even important or that seemed fundamentally wrong to me. In some cases they contradicted each other. For instance, "You can split the lanes in Kerry, but not in Dublin or Cork". Its a national test, which is supposed to have the same standards everywhere so no, shut up. In fact on the test I opted to split lanes where I thought it was better and was told not to. The tester made no comment on it. I had to hear some silly spiel about the order in which to check your mirrors. If I was turning left I would go, Left mirror, right mirror, Left mirror, Signal. Apparently this was wrong?? For turning left its, Right mirror, left mirror, signal. No explanation why, just something else to nag about. And of course I've been doing it my way for nearly a decade so everytime I turned I got nagged about it. Then on the test I did it my way, got told my observation was excellent. Go fecking figure.
    They're making it up as they go along. Where are these standards even written down? We have vague guidelines about what you need to do to pass the driving test. Show good observation, Competent use of controls, appropriate progress and give signals in good time.
    None of these things are quantified anywhere, and really all driving instructors have done is pass a stricter version of the driving test. That's the basis of their authority. They teach based on what they reckon they did to get them passed that test. Its a load of bollocks.

AAAaaaaaaaah I needed that off my chest.

TL;DR
    I failed for going to fast and admit it. Next time I'm not going to overthink things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

somefeen wrote: »
    Failed the truck test.

Absolutely raging. 1 grade 2, 2 grade 1's but a big fat grade 3 for excess speed.
    In fairness to the tester, I would have marked myself because even I felt it was to fast. It was a long downhill stretch coming up to a bit of traffic. Normally I would scrub off a lot of speed before cresting the hill but I was so nervous about getting marked for progress I didnt so she ran away on me a bit, and again I was worried about getting marked for progress so didn't bring it back as much as I should have.

Unbelievably annoyed. Everything else was ridiculous, I had people cut me off, reverse out in front of me, block my side of the road, badly parked cars, wobbly cyclists, an ambulance coming up behind me. Didn't get a single mark for how I handled any of those things.
    The tester was sound and seemed happy to discuss the whole test with me though so that was atleast some consolation.

The worse thing for me now is getting more lessons. I feel like if the instructors hadn't been going on and on about progress I wouldn't have been so worried.
    Next time I'm just gonna drive the truck and forget everything. I actually found the instructors detrimental to be honest. I couldnt even drive a mini with one of them sitting next to me. It's like a two hour nagging session, cancelled the indicator a fraction of a second too late, nagged, change up a gear a little too late, nagged. They seemed to be constantly on about things that were not even important or that seemed fundamentally wrong to me. In some cases they contradicted each other. For instance, "You can split the lanes in Kerry, but not in Dublin or Cork". Its a national test, which is supposed to have the same standards everywhere so no, shut up. In fact on the test I opted to split lanes where I thought it was better and was told not to. The tester made no comment on it. I had to hear some silly spiel about the order in which to check your mirrors. If I was turning left I would go, Left mirror, right mirror, Left mirror, Signal. Apparently this was wrong?? For turning left its, Right mirror, left mirror, signal. No explanation why, just something else to nag about. And of course I've been doing it my way for nearly a decade so everytime I turned I got nagged about it. Then on the test I did it my way, got told my observation was excellent. Go fecking figure.
    They're making it up as they go along. Where are these standards even written down? We have vague guidelines about what you need to do to pass the driving test. Show good observation, Competent use of controls, appropriate progress and give signals in good time.
    None of these things are quantified anywhere, and really all driving instructors have done is pass a stricter version of the driving test. That's the basis of their authority. They teach based on what they reckon they did to get them passed that test. Its a load of bollocks.

AAAaaaaaaaah I needed that off my chest.

TL;DR
    I failed for going to fast and admit it. Next time I'm not going to overthink things.
    Well at least it's a very marginal thing to fix, just pay a little more attention especially when your driving 3+ tons. Good luck next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Ninjavampire

Failed today with 13 grade 2s and 0 grade 1s or 3s. I'll break it down to hopefully help others fix things before their test.

4 faults in vehicle control because I came out of a yield sign in 3rd gear (I didn't stall but should have been in 2nd) and the tester said I put the handbrake on too early at stop signs.

4 faults in observation, 2 in moving off (my own fault), 1 in changing lane (can't remember this) and the other in the turnabout, where the tester said I didn't look out the back window which I didn't realise I had to do.

2 faults in position, one on the straight and another turning right. I think I stay too close to the middle as a bad habit.

1 in reacting to hazards. I haven't a clue when this was.

1 in signalling when I moved off (after the reverse I forgot to signal right when taking off, even though there were no cars in sight.)

Last one in progress turning right. I let someone go when I should have just gone myself I think.

Didn't expect to fail by 5 faults, judging by feedback from my ADI and family, but at least I know what to focus on for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Unsuccessful on my second attempt today.
    First test - 10 grade 2s. Mostly progress and positioning.
    Today - 8 grade 2s and a grade 3 for skimming the kerb during reverse around a corner, and never have I touched the kerb before with either the reverse or turnabout - typical!
    A car drove out of it's house during my reverse and was behind me so I stopped the reverse. Car didn't move - sat behind me in the middle of the road. Tester had a bit of a look as this car wasn't moving and suggested I put on my indicator, did so, still no movement from the car. Tester told me to turn the indicator off, still no movement from the car. Tester told me to put indicator back on and still no movement from the car. I was getting more nervous by the minute as I wasn't sure whether to drive out and abandon it in order to let the car off but when the tester suggested turning the indicator on I assumed that abandoning it wasn't the option. Turned indicator off again and eventually the car drove past. Tester then said "continue on with your reverse". Still had a slight bit of turning to do with the steering wheel, did that and reversed back and skimmed the kerb. This was about 5 minutes into the test or less so I assumed I had failed at this stage and was pretty annoyed with myself.
    Tester never mentioned much about it at the end, other than a grade 3 is a fail regardless. Told me I would have passed it otherwise. He did mention about the gears as this is where most my grade 2s came in. He marked me down for not dropping a gear before stopping when approaching turns - not to stop in 4th gear for example but change from 4th to 3rd or even 2nd, then stop. Told me he wasn't worried about the grade 3 with the reverse, more so the few grade 2s with the gears. Found that a bit strange considering it was the reason I failed.
    Anyway, time to book another one. Here's hoping for better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Westeros wrote: »
    Today - 8 grade 2s and a grade 3 for skimming the kerb during reverse around a corner, and never have I touched the kerb before with either the reverse or turnabout - typical!
    A car drove out of it's house during my reverse and was behind me so I stopped the reverse. Car didn't move - sat behind me in the middle of the road. Tester had a bit of a look as this car wasn't moving and suggested I put on my indicator, did so, still no movement from the car. Tester told me to turn the indicator off, still no movement from the car. Tester told me to put indicator back on and still no movement from the car. I was getting more nervous by the minute as I wasn't sure whether to drive out and abandon it in order to let the car off but when the tester suggested turning the indicator on I assumed that abandoning it wasn't the option. Turned indicator off again and eventually the car drove past. Tester then said "continue on with your reverse". Still had a slight bit of turning to do with the steering wheel, did that and reversed back and skimmed the kerb. This was about 5 minutes into the test or less so I assumed I had failed at this stage and was pretty annoyed with myself.
    Tester never mentioned much about it at the end, other than a grade 3 is a fail regardless. Told me I would have passed it otherwise. He did mention about the gears as this is where most my grade 2s came in. He marked me down for not dropping a gear before stopping when approaching turns - not to stop in 4th gear for example but change from 4th to 3rd or even 2nd, then stop. Told me he wasn't worried about the grade 3 with the reverse, more so the few grade 2s with the gears. Found that a bit strange considering it was the reason I failed.

My instructor told me that hitting the kerb was a Grade 2, going up on it was a Grade 3. That'd odd.

Hi,

Did you have any lessons. If so your instructor should have immediately lodged a complaint with the RSA. You could still so so I suppose.

On the corner reverse when the car stopped behind you, you should have driven forward back to your starting point. The examiner should not have advised you to try and force the car to overtake. To do so was putting it in danger. From the Rules of the Road
    You must not overtake when

You are at or near a pelican crossing, zebra crossing or at pedestrian signals.

A traffic sign or road marking prohibits it.

You are approaching a junction.

You are on the approach to a corner, bend, dip in the road, hump-back bridge, brow of a hill or on a narrow road.

He should not have marked you for not changing down when stopping. Not changing down is more Eco friendly and is recommended by advanced organisations such as the IAM.

Re hitting the kerb. There is no hard and fast rule as to what constitutes a grade 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Which section of the reverse did you pick up the Grade 3? Was it competency, observation or right of way.

As for gears, it sounds like you've turned in 3rd when you should have turned in 2nd.

Did you have any lessons. If so your instructor should have immediately lodged a complaint with the RSA. You could still so so I suppose.

Instructor has made a complaint, however he did say he isn't very hopeful of the decision being overruled.
    Which section of the reverse did you pick up the Grade 3? Was it competency, observation or right of way.

As for gears, it sounds like you've turned in 3rd when you should have turned in 2nd.

Competency. Grade 2 for observation.

No, the gears were in relation to turning. Say for example I am turning right from a major to a minor road. I'm travelling in fourth gear and I slow using the brake and move into the box to turn right but a car is coming towards me so I come to a stop. I took the turn in first gear as a result but the tester said he would not stop in fourth gear at junctions or anywhere I know I'm coming to a stop. He wants to see me drop gears before stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Instructor has made a complaint, however he did say he isn't very hopeful of the decision being overruled.

No, the gears were in relation to turning. Say for example I am turning right from a major to a minor road. I'm travelling in fourth gear and I slow using the brake and move into the box to turn right but a car is coming towards me so I come to a stop. I took the turn in first gear as a result but the tester said he would not stop in fourth gear at junctions or anywhere I know I'm coming to a stop. He wants to see me drop gears before stopping.

Yeah your supposed to drop down gears, it's what my instructor thought me. Otherwise you would have been coasting/freewheeling for a while if you where still engaged in 4th gear, it's quite easy to change up and down gears as required. You come to a stop in 2nd or first never anything higher unless an emergency.

Hi,

The result will stand, however the instructor should have definitely lodged an official complaint as you should not have been marked for stopping in 4th gear. Hopefully the hierarchy will inform him of this and he will not mark any future candidate

Regarding indicating - giving advice to a test candidate. An examiner told a pupil of mine once that if he gave advice to a test candidate he MUST subsequently fail them. Which seems fair enough as he is testing them to see if they can cope with any eventuality. If he finds it necessary to give advice then proves they are not ready to drive on their own. Not alone did he give advise, but gave potentially dangerous advice

Hi,

add to above. If you are approaching a junction, not certain whither you will have to stop or not, you should be an optimist, assume it will be clear and select the appropriate gear to drive through. If clear you then sail through. If you have to stop, you of course stop.

However if it certain that you will have to stop, then totally completely unnecessary to change down, you simply stop in whatever gear you happen to be in, be it, 3rd, 4th 5th or 6th,

But the examiner did say he marked you for stopping in 4th ? which he definitely should not have done.

• Advertisement

Regarding indicating - giving advice to a test candidate. An examiner told a pupil of mine once that if he gave advice to a test candidate he MUST subsequently fail them. Which seems fair enough as he is testing them to see if they can cope with any eventuality. If he finds it necessary to give advice then proves they are not ready to drive on their own. Not alone did he give advise, but gave potentially dangerous advice

Exactly my understanding. I assumed if anything that this would have been what he would have said to me at the end of the test. But, I was told "I'm not worried about the grade 3 fail at all". Very little information and conversation regarding the reverse at the end of test feedback apart from the fact that he wasn't worried about it and more concerned on the gears. I found this part strange.
    If you are approaching a junction, not certain whither you will have to stop or not, you should be an optimist, assume it will be clear and select the appropriate gear to drive through. If clear you then sail through. If you have to stop, you of course stop.

However if it certain that you will have to stop, then totally completely unnecessary to change down, you simply stop in whatever gear you happen to be in, be it, 3rd, 4th 5th or 6th,

But the examiner did say he marked you for stopping in 4th ? which he definitely should not have done.

If I was approaching the junction and there was no oncoming traffic then I would have dropped to 2nd and taken the turn. But as a result of the oncoming traffic I stopped as there was not sufficient space to take the turn safely. I then went to 1st and took the turn. But the advice was not to stop in fourth, at least drop a gear to either 2nd or 3rd and stop.

Anyway, hopefully the complaint will be of help to further test candidates and possibly myself should I have the same tester next time around.

I appreciate the help and feedback here. Heres hoping to a better result next time :)

Advertisement