Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Failed 9 weeks ago with one grade 3 and two grade 2s.

Failed again on Friday with 15 grade 2s!

Going to have a quick pre-test before my next one but I don't know how my driving could degrade so much in those weeks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's the luck of the draw sometimes and the subjective nature of the test. Next time. At least there were no Grade Threes in the latest one. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Failed today on an utterly bull**** reason. 2 grade 2 and one grade three for a situation that was completely out of my control when a car on the roundabout I was joining chose to enter an exit, indicated left to move in to the exit, started turning into the exit, changed his mind, did a half u turn, in the exit back into the flow of the roundabout and cuts across me as I started entering the roundabout. He then beeped for good measure as if I was the reason he chose the wrong exit.) Tester failed me because I should have anticipated the car making an error in judgment and planned for it. He was halfway off the roundabout at the time for ****s sake. I wouldn't have minded, but he had me do the fulltest as well as opposed to ending it there and then, and I only got two small grade twos for position. No other problems.

He was a real grump and condescending prick anyway. No guidance on what I should have done, and he seemed delighted to be failing me.

Driving testers are a fecking corrupt bunch. Another payday for the RSA, the thieving scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s a sham. The person who gives you the ten lessons should be the one who does the driving test with you as they know your driving skills. But there is no profit in this so it won’t happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It’s a sham. The person who gives you the ten lessons should be the one who does the driving test with you as they know your driving skills. But there is no profit in this so it won’t happen

The lad that I did my ten lessons with would have failed me straight away. Claimed I needed another 5 at least. I passed first time. All he wanted was more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Start videoing driving tests. That'll soon weed out the corrupt/incompetent examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Failed today on an utterly bull**** reason. 2 grade 2 and one grade three for a situation that was completely out of my control when a car on the roundabout I was joining chose to enter an exit, indicated left to move in to the exit, started turning into the exit, changed his mind, did a half u turn, in the exit back into the flow of the roundabout and cuts across me as I started entering the roundabout. He then beeped for good measure as if I was the reason he chose the wrong exit.) Tester failed me because I should have anticipated the car making an error in judgment and planned for it. He was halfway off the roundabout at the time for ****s sake. I wouldn't have minded, but he had me do the fulltest as well as opposed to ending it there and then, and I only got two small grade twos for position. No other problems.

He was a real grump and condescending prick anyway. No guidance on what I should have done, and he seemed delighted to be failing me.

Driving testers are a fecking corrupt bunch. Another payday for the RSA, the thieving scumbags.

My girlfriend failed the test twice. Once for driving too close to illegally parked cars, twice for driving too far away from them, two different examiners. Totally in agreement with you on this. #moneyRacket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Start videoing driving tests. That'll soon weed out the corrupt/incompetent examiners.

They can refuse to carry out the examination if you do not turn off the recording device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

tcawley29 wrote: »
    They can refuse to carry out the examination if you do not turn off the recording device.

If your recording the road they have no right to ask you to turn it off! Mounted your property facing a public place.

Im sure the Irish bureaucracy justice warriors will disagree with that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

You made a wee error of judgement and the examiner rightly failed you for it. (you did not give way to traffic already on the roundabout - cuts across me as I started entering the roundabout ). You should not allow this episode to sour your view of your driving test and the entire driving test system. Take on board your experience and learn from it.

I always believed that if a person goes in to do the test with the belief that it is all a racket and the examiners are a shower of ****, then they will give off all the wrong vibes. Much better going in believing they are meeting ordinary fellows doing a job and that job is simply to weed out the safe driver from the bad. If you are a safe driver they will be happy to pass you, otherwise they give a fail. No hidden agenda, no quotas.

• Advertisement

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

You made a wee error of judgement and the examiner rightly failed you for it. (you did not give way to traffic already on the roundabout - cuts across me as I started entering the roundabout ). You should not allow this episode to sour your view of your driving test and the entire driving test system. Take on board your experience and learn from it.

I always believed that if a person goes in to do the test with the belief that it is all a racket and the examiners are a shower of ****, then they will give off all the wrong vibes. Much better going in believing they are meeting ordinary fellows doing a job and that job is simply to weed out the safe driver from the bad. If you are a safe driver they will be happy to pass you, otherwise they give a fail. No hidden agenda, no quotas.

I gave way to traffic on the roundabout. The other car had left it, indicating that it was leaving, turned into the exit, went off the roundabout and then uturned around to cut across me. It was that car's fault and It was a very harsh automatic fail to give. Give me a blue, fine if you must, but the fail was harsh, especially as the tester had me do the rest of the test. I'd have preferred to go back to the test center then and be told its an automatic fail, rather than have to do the rest of the test to a passing degree, only to be failed like that.

I also didn't realize that it was Popes and driving testers that enjoy infallibility.

I gave way to traffic on the roundabout. The other car had left it, indicating that it was leaving, turned into the exit, went off the roundabout and then uturned around to cut across me. It was that car's fault and It was a very harsh automatic fail to give. Give me a blue, fine if you must, but the fail was harsh, especially as the tester had me do the rest of the test. I'd have preferred to go back to the test center then and be told its an automatic fail, rather than have to do the rest of the test to a passing degree, only to be failed like that.

I also didn't realize that it was Popes and driving testers that enjoy infallibility.
    Hi

If he went off the roundabout, you then entered, (whilst he was still off it)when he came back onto the roundabout he would have be unable to cut across in front of you. Therefore he was on the roundabout wen you entered.

He completed the test to give you the experience. It would be a proper "pre-test" if you like

Never said testers were infallible. But I did accuse them directly of acting and believing they were infallible a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Curious. If you were given a "fail there and then" what would you have done?

Prudence from the examiner's point of view is while in a confined metal box do not give the bad news immediately.
    Better to return to the relative safety of the centre before delivering the bad news.

Curious. If you were given a "fail there and then" what would you have done?

Prudence from the examiner's point of view is while in a confined metal box do not give the bad news immediately.
    Better to return to the relative safety of the centre before delivering the bad news.

What an utterly stupid comment. Do you think I'd drive off a bridge or something? Or hit the tester or something? What sort of assumption are you trying to make?

I'd rather be directed back to the test centre.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi

If he went off the roundabout, you then entered, (whilst he was still off it)when he came back onto the roundabout he would have be unable to cut across in front of you. Therefore he was on the roundabout wen you entered.

He completed the test to give you the experience. It would be a proper "pre-test" if you like

Never said testers were infallible. But I did accuse them directly of acting and believing they were infallible a while back.

There was enough room for him to swing around. Like I accept that I should have anticipated another car driving erratically like that. I protest the automatic fail in a situation where the other car made the situation dangerous. I'd have no issue with a grade 2. Grade 3 was harsh and I think it's a fair gripe to have.

I still think making someone do the rest of the test after a fault like that gives false hope and I still maintain that the tester was a prick who gave no proper feedback when I asked him. It was a ****ty experience not helped by his demeanour.

What an utterly stupid comment. Do you think I'd drive off a bridge or something? Or hit the tester or something? What sort of assumption are you trying to make?

I'd rather be directed back to the test centre.

Hi,

Or perhaps make him walk back to the test center.

Which I know happened to a tester once. The candidate (not my pupil) took a left corner too sharp, the back wheel mounted the kerb, which was quite high. The car came back down with an almighty bang, the driver stopped, said I "suppose you will fail me for that", the examiner said "of course". The driver then told him to get the F%$% out of his car reached over opened the door. Then drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrophe

Failed in Finglas again. Got told off for going too slow through the residential areas. I'd been going at 30 km and around it through them given the recent implementation of go slow zones across the city. Driving at this speed in the previous test wasn't a problem in these areas. She argued they were 50 km zones. I think it's rather pedantic TBH. My last instructor had informed me they were 30 km zones and take them as such - however it turns out that is still to be implemented in some areas, so there's one to watch out for folks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/speed-limits-to-be-cut-to-30km-h-in-31-dublin-suburbs-1.3467570

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

My wife failed this week , it was her second fail in recent weeks, today the rear L plate position was an issue apparently although it was fine 3 weeks ago , when she tried to move it it had transferred to the window , so not a good start to an already nerve racking experience.

At a junction where a truck was turning right on the Greenhills road she held back rather than undertake in a cycle lane and the instructor asked her what she was doing and she had plenty of room, is this not highly unprofessional? When I did my test 10 years ago the instructor told me where to drive and that was it, any advice or criticism would have totally thrown me.

Anyway she failed a few weeks ago with 1 grade 3 for observation moving off after the turnabout, today she was overcompensating the observation and was looking over her shoulder at every chance available and got a grade 2 every time , so no argument with the result.

She wont be doing it again for a while but definitely not in Tallaght, the 2 testers she had sound like they had about as much compassion as Joseph Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can't believe they questioned the rear L plate - I had to move mine to the outside bumper because the rear windows are tinted - once they're visible (and the right shape) front and rear surely that's enough.

It's tough for her to get two bad experiences like that close together - I can't imagine it would help with her confidence.

Just put it down to that - experience - and then hopefully it will be third time lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ace120387

antrophe wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas again. Got told off for going too slow through the residential areas. I'd been going at 30 km and around it through them given the recent implementation of go slow zones across the city. Driving at this speed in the previous test wasn't a problem in these areas. She argued they were 50 km zones. I think it's rather pedantic TBH. My last instructor had informed me they were 30 km zones and take them as such - however it turns out that is still to be implemented in some areas, so there's one to watch out for folks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/speed-limits-to-be-cut-to-30km-h-in-31-dublin-suburbs-1.3467570

I failed in Finglas today (my first test) I was told that I was driving too fast at 40 in residential areas. Though, he did mention that if there are parked cars you are supposed to go slow around 30.
    Ironically two cars in front of me committed a grade three fault but I held my fort. I guess you need to drive perfect on that day.

Edit:
    I got 16 grade two on my test one each in every section and two gears and clutch (We are used to automatic in Canada)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

ace120387 wrote: »
    I failed in Finglas today (my first test) I was told that I was driving too fast at 40 in residential areas. Though, he did mention that if there are parked cars you are supposed to go slow around 30.
    Ironically two cars in front of me committed a grade three fault but I held my fort. I guess you need to drive perfect on that day.

Edit:
    I got 16 grade two on my test one each in every section and two gears and clutch (We are used to automatic in Canada)

Keep the head up bud, my first test last month was 15 grade 2 's spread out over sections, was annoyed over it then passed 3 weeks later with 5 grade 2's! 3 in one section as well! Keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Failed today first time in Galway with 15 grade 2s and 1 grade 3 (for messing up a hill start :S). Really annoyed but the only thing I can do now is reapply and go again :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I haven't failed (yet :P) but my test is coming up and I'm really discouraged at the moment. I was doing a good bit of driving over the summer and have been on-off learning to drive for the best part of a year, but I actually feel so awful at it. I feel like I can get from A to B, in fact I felt I was getting quite good and confident, but now I feel like I've barely progressed at all... I had a lesson that I hoped to be a pre-test with a different instructor to my usual today, and he literally (very nicely and politely) criticized just about everything I did, from my clutch control to my gear changes to my braking to my steering to my position on the road. We ended up doing a few circuits of a housing estate just going through the gears. It felt like I was back at lesson 2 when this was lesson 17 for me, a mere two weeks before my test...I also had a lesson with my regular instructor last week and that was fairly terrible too, with lots of basic errors and a couple of things that would have been Grade 3s on the day.

A few weeks ago I honestly felt like I was in with a chance but now that I've been back to doing these pre-test lessons I've been feeling so so inept, and my confidence has been really shook. I honestly have no expectation to pass. I'll do the test because it was hard enough to get a date and if nothing else it will make attempt #2 less daunting. And sure I suppose the only way to make my prospects of passing less likely is to not sit the thing at all. :P But at this point I'm feeling quite deflated about the whole thing indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Your going to have good and bad days in driving, my sons the same at the moment has a bad lesson and "im no good at this, what's the point", you have to over ride it,
    when you see some people driving on the roads today and have passed the test,you must think if they can do i bloody can, don't over think it and worry about it, you will pass,good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ramblinglola

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Your going to have good and bad days in driving, my sons the same at the moment has a bad lesson and "im no good at this, what's the point", you have to over ride it,
    when you see some people driving on the roads today and have passed the test,you must think if they can do i bloody can, don't over think it and worry about it, you will pass,good luck.
    I feel the same way, but I keep thinking I need to do this for myself! best of luck in your test and know that your not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Failed in Finglas for a second time. Last time I went too wide for the reverse around the corner and ended up in the middle of the road. This time I overcompensated and went very close and bumped the kerb. Back to the drawing board.

It's so stressful how long the waiting times are for tests now, I waited 4 months between my last test and this one! When it gets to test day the nerves are sky high because you know if you fail you'll be waiting ages to try again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jade182 wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas for a second time. Last time I went too wide for the reverse around the corner and ended up in the middle of the road. This time I overcompensated and went very close and bumped the kerb. Back to the drawing board.

It's so stressful how long the waiting times are for tests now, I waited 4 months between my last test and this one! When it gets to test day the nerves are sky high because you know if you fail you'll be waiting ages to try again.

Bad luck on the fail, but you WILL get it eventually.
    Have you considered trying for a cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I applied for cancellation in June and still waiting...

For just one centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I applied for cancellation and wasn't hearing anything back so i started to call them then to see if they had anything & ended up getting my re sit date that way

Advertisement