Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

Jade182 wrote: »
    Failed in Finglas for a second time. Last time I went too wide for the reverse around the corner and ended up in the middle of the road. This time I overcompensated and went very close and bumped the kerb. Back to the drawing board.

It's so stressful how long the waiting times are for tests now, I waited 4 months between my last test and this one! When it gets to test day the nerves are sky high because you know if you fail you'll be waiting ages to try again.

Reversing around the corner wasn't my favourite manoeuvre. In my first test, I failed after getting a grade 3 for hitting the kerb while reversing. Also got too many grade 2's for other things anyways.

Passed my test 2nd time. I deliberately reversed out wide and took a grade 2 instead of risking hitting the kerb and getting a 3.

You should only be getting a grade 2 if you go too wide. You shouldn't fail the test on that alone.

Been driving everyday since and haven't reversed around a corner yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Reversing around the corner wasn't my favourite manoeuvre. In my first test, I failed after getting a grade 3 for hitting the kerb while reversing. Also got too many grade 2's for other things anyways.

Passed my test 2nd time. I deliberately reversed out wide and took a grade 2 instead of risking hitting the kerb and getting a 3.

You should only be getting a grade 2 if you go too wide. You shouldn't fail the test on that alone.

Been driving everyday since and haven't reversed around a corner yet.

Would it not fall under being dangerous or risky if it's too wide? Like I went into the middle of the road, which means half my car was on the wrong side of the road. That would show I have little control over the car and can't do the manoeuvre competently.

I wish they would test us on something like parallel parking to demonstrate control of your vehicle, something we might actually use. I don't know of anyone that uses the reverse around a corner manoeuvre outside of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

spurious wrote: »
    Bad luck on the fail, but you WILL get it eventually.
    Have you considered trying for a cancellation?

It's very difficult to get time off at short notice for a cancellation. I would need at least a week or two to arrange it.

I booked the test right away again so I estimate if the waiting time is the same that my retest will be maybe late December /early January. Time to practice reversing around corners until I'm dizzy!

Would it not fall under being dangerous or risky if it's too wide? Like I went into the middle of the road, which means half my car was on the wrong side of the road. That would show I have little control over the car and can't do the manoeuvre competently.

I wish they would test us on something like parallel parking to demonstrate control of your vehicle, something we might actually use. I don't know of anyone that uses the reverse around a corner manoeuvre outside of the test.

I guess you don't really want to go too wide, but wide enough that hitting the kerb won't be possible.

Like I said, I got a grade 3 in my first test and failed the whole thing for hitting the kerb. 2nd time I intentionally went wide and just accepted that I'd get a grade 2 for it.

I was confident enough that I'd be ok in other areas so once I avoided hitting the kerb I was ok.

The test is a bit stupid though, doesn't really prepare you for everyday driving.

Motorway and parallel parking should be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

It's very difficult to get time off at short notice for a cancellation. I would need at least a week or two to arrange it.

I booked the test right away again so I estimate if the waiting time is the same that my retest will be maybe late December /early January. Time to practice reversing around corners until I'm dizzy!

I got 10 days notice for my cancellation, i called them and someone had just cancelled that morning so i got that test slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

howiye lads

first time failer here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Simple question i cant seem to find the answer for, if you fail a test do you have to pay the test fee again? (85 Eur) Their website doesn't have much information on it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Simple question i cant seem to find the answer for, if you fail a test do you have to pay the test fee again? (85 Eur) Their website doesn't have much information on it.

Thanks

Yes. Friend failed 3 times and paid €255 for the honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Yes. Friend failed 3 times and paid €255 for the honour.

Ouch, Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’m up to about 255 now! Should be like the nct were it’s not the full fee when u attempt to pass again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thursday will be my sixth test. The vast majority of the past few have been that bloody grade 3 for the reverse around the corner which I can do PERFECTLY outside of test conditions. I don't know what it is, this one bloody move kills me every time. This time I'm also set to do the test in a different car which has a reverse camera - am I allowed to use that for this stupid bloody move? I'm just so frustrated at this point that it's been HUNDREDS of euros to the RSA, to various instructors, and this one move I NEVER use is what kills me each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Thursday will be my sixth test. The vast majority of the past few have been that bloody grade 3 for the reverse around the corner which I can do PERFECTLY outside of test conditions. I don't know what it is, this one bloody move kills me every time. This time I'm also set to do the test in a different car which has a reverse camera - am I allowed to use that for this stupid bloody move? I'm just so frustrated at this point that it's been HUNDREDS of euros to the RSA, to various instructors, and this one move I NEVER use is what kills me each time.
    So you will never reverse your car into or out of a parking space or a driveway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So you will never reverse your car into or out of a parking space or a driveway?

I think it sometimes helps to think of the reverse as exactly this, rather than what some instructors make it - an exercise in watching corners in mirrors etc.. Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees.

Best of luck today lilmissprincess. This time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have a reverse camera (use it as a guide) but always make sure to observe all around too and use mirrors. I have only ever driven with a camera and it is very helpful, the biggest help the camera is to me is that I got that half second brain freeze and go to move the wheel the wrong way (it's a left and right thing) but the camera shows me exactly which way I'm going - if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm sure one of the instructors on here will confirm but i'm reasonably sure that there is no issue with using a reversing camera on the test. However, if you just stare at the screen you will fail as you will not be observing correctly. The tech is an adjunct to your driving skills, not a replacement of them.

I'm sure one of the instructors on here will confirm but i'm reasonably sure that there is no issue with using a reversing camera on the test. However, if you just stare at the screen you will fail as you will not be observing correctly. The tech is an adjunct to your driving skills, not a replacement of them.

As someone who will be doing the test soon, I've asked :) and like you say no problem with the camera as long as you just use it as a guide and use all else, eyes, mirrors etc.

P.S best of luck in Thursday littlemiss !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think it sometimes helps to think of the reverse as exactly this, rather than what some instructors make it - an exercise in watching corners in mirrors etc.. Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees.

Best of luck today lilmissprincess. This time.

Interestingly when I did my test when it came to doing the reverse around the corner which I managed to complete the tester wanted me to reverse back further.

I guess this is where it got interesting in that the road began to come back in on itself as it wasn't a perfect 90 deg bend if you get me. It was fairly obvious I would hit the kerb if I continued on my trajectory so I had no choice but to go through the rigmerole of handbrake pull forward and begin to reverse again. I asked after he told me I had passed but what about the reverse section? His reply "I knew you would hit the kerb if you continued but I wanted to see if you had the competency to realize this and adjust accordingly."

Failed again third time... Devastated as I was confident I'd get it this time. 11 grade 2s, mostly for observation which was confusing as it wasn't flagged as a problem at all in any of my lessons beforehand. The tester said I can drive and don't need anymore lessons and should just try again as soon as possible, which is kind of annoying to be hear after just being failed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Failed again third time... Devastated as I was confident I'd get it this time. 11 grade 2s, mostly for observation which was confusing as it wasn't flagged as a problem at all in any of my lessons beforehand. The tester said I can drive and don't need anymore lessons and should just try again as soon as possible, which is kind of annoying to be hear after just being failed!

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. It's sickening. Go for a cancellation and try again. There is an awful lot of 'who you get on the day' involved.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. It's sickening. Go for a cancellation and try again. There is an awful lot of 'who you get on the day' involved.

Yeah it feels that way. Irritating as well when you see another vehicle driving in the bus lane and then break a red light on your way back from the test- they have a full license! I'll have to get a cancellation pretty soon as I'm moving abroad in a few weeks :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Fourth fail today. Time to throw my hat at it I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How long was before each test for retest ?

Take a breather, collect your thoughts and rebook. I know it's a knock but it could be 5th times a charm. And if you've had four tests you have put a lot of time, effort and money into this. Don't give up!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How long was before each test for retest ?
    Four to six months iirc. Previous one was in may.

With long waiting times for test can you apply before all lessons are complete for test ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    With long waiting times for test can you apply before all lessons are complete for test ?

Sorry I don't fully get the question. I finished the mandatory 12 lessons before I took the test the first time. After that you can do as few or as many lessons as you like before retaking.

Sorry I don't fully get the question. I finished the mandatory 12 lessons before I took the test the first time. After that you can do as few or as many lessons as you like before retaking.
    Can you apply for test before the 12 are taken because chances are with the long waiting times you should have completed the 12 by your test date.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Take a breather, collect your thoughts and rebook. I know it's a knock but it could be 5th times a charm. And if you've had four tests you have put a lot of time, effort and money into this. Don't give up!

I think I might have got a Grade 1 for not slowing down enough while passing some kids on the pavement. The tester actually warned me as it was happening which is a bad sign at the very least.

But if I find out I got the usual clutch of Grade 2 and 3 errors on top of that and would have failed anyway I think I'll pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think I might have got a Grade 1 for not slowing down enough while passing some kids on the pavement. The tester actually warned me as it was happening which is a bad sign at the very least.

But if I find out I got the usual clutch of Grade 2 and 3 errors on top of that and would have failed anyway I think I'll pack it in.

Try driving an auto before giving up.

Most cars will be auto with hybrid and electric.

• Advertisement

Failed by a single mistake which cost me 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 3... Accidently went too far past the line turning right at some traffic lights and the light turned red as the car in front of me turned. I hesitated about whether I should go or not but I didn't think I was blocking the junction where I was and I didn't want to break a red light. Turns out that was the wrong move and I should have gone, got a grade 3 for it. Devastated and so was my tester, only had 3 grade 2s otherwise.

Angry with myself beyond words, I normally am very careful not to go past the line if it's not clear, I just got a bit jumpy.

Advertisement