Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royce Gracie fails drug test

• 15-06-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=19875

"Royce Gracie tested positive for decadurabolin, a steroid also known as Nandralone, and has been suspended for one year by the California State Athletic Commission. The test was taken prior to his match with Kazushi Sakuraba on 6/2.

No other details were available from the commission. The commission also revealed Sakuraba, Kim Min-soo and Brock Lesnar all tested negative for both steroids, diuretics, masking agents and street drugs from the same show.

Unlike Nevada, where the decision of Gracie beating Sakuraba would be reversed with such a test, California's commission does not have the power to overturn a decision.

Gracie was also fined $2,000. He will not be allowed to fight in any U.S. commission state until June 1, 2008, pending an appeal."

Thats pretty shocking news if it turns out to be accurate and the tests were right. Royce Gracie is one of the last fighters you would expect to be taking drugs:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oh man, just wait for the crackdown on everyone else now.
    Mind you, if anything, it might take the heat off Pro Wrestling for steroid use for a bit.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Actually its pretty unbelievable how often MMA fighters fail random drug tests for the most ridiculous drugs. If its not Tim Persie (for metamphetamine ffs!), Johnny Morton (ex NFL should know better) and Gracie failing at K-1 its Melvin Guillard (idiot... cocaine ffs!) or Stephan Bonnar in UFC. I think one of the results of the sport getting much bigger is that they are really going to have to confront the issue of drugs or soon enough those with a vested interest against MMA will pick up on it and use it against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I just posted about this on the MMA board, but there's always the MMA slant and the pro-wrestling slant on these things

I'm very surprised about this. It's not as if Royce needed steroids for any reason, unless he has been unwell. Still, he's hardly been as unwell as Sakuraba, who has problems in pumping blood to his brain

The thing with steroids in wrestling is that it's the big muscular guys who are caught taking them (or assumed to be taking them, I'm not sure who's actually been caught with them in the last few years). In MMA, you've got a skinny lad like Royce and a fat guy like Tim Sylvia taking them! Vitor Belfort is still suspended from American competition too

I think the media seem to be getting over the "human-cockfighting" aspect of MMA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on the "drug-addicts" aspect. Still, wrestling's done alright with that tag for the last 15 years, I don't see why MMA can't beat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Fozzy wrote:
    I think the media seem to be getting over the "human-cockfighting" aspect of MMA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on the "drug-addicts" aspect. Still, wrestling's done alright with that tag for the last 15 years, I don't see why MMA can't beat it

Not to mention soccer players, olympic swimmers yadda yadda yadda ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fozzy wrote:
    I just posted about this on the MMA board, but there's always the MMA slant and the pro-wrestling slant on these things

Yeah I wasn't sure to post it there or here, but I like our little MMA corner over here in Pro Wrestling. Plus I think in the absence of a dedicated MMA board, I prefer to post here as it seems a lot of the other board (even the title) is geared towards self defence and martial arts but not necessarily MMA which has a lot of crossover with Pro Wrestling.

I think its a pretty sad day for MMA if ppl like Royce Gracie are failing drug tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

this is terrible news and im hoping to god that the other sample does not test for being positive.
    I really dont think that someone like royce gracie would be stupid enough to abuse steroids.Maybe it will emerge that he has been unwell and needed them for medical purposes
    Time will tell..

Sakuraba's just unlucky he was fighting him in California!

There has been a lot of controversy in the past about testing for nandrolone through urine tests though. I forget the exact details, but some studies have shown that a high-protein diet combined with creatine and a lot of exercise can lead to nandrolone levels going above the legal limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

This surprised me.

Renzo was on a radio show today called tagradio where he said and I quote "Royce should be ashamed".

Renzo was on a radio show today called tagradio where he said and I quote "Royce should be ashamed".

I would not have commented on it until I listened to what he has to say.

• Advertisement

fatal wrote:
    I would not have commented on it until I listened to what he has to say.

Maybe he did.

Maybe he did.

so far every attempt at getting a comment from him has been turned down

Royce sent an e-mail to Sherdog here: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7926

He says he's innocent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

aren't they all?

Advertisement