Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting365 Problem ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

ciaranfo wrote:
    Do all these DNS issues effect people who have domains with r365 which point to nameservers on another host?

No, such customers would not have seen an impact at all.

TheDriver wrote:
    The important thing for me, and I have a number of shared hosting a/c with 365 is that the problem was indeed unforeseen and they have put in place tangible changes to ensure it doesn't occur again.

And we will be publishing that full plan to customers asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

With all due respect Sparks, I think you're misrepresenting us a little.
    That's not my intention Steve, but you have to understand that what you're saying here is not in agreement with either what we saw on Friday or what your company has since stated on its status blog.
    We've delivered 99.99984% power uptime in the last 12 months.
    Which is utterly irrelevant. As I said above, you lost power for 50 minutes, but you lost service for far longer because your centre didn't recover from a power failure scenario correctly. Ensuring that the centre recovers cleanly from a disaster like that is why you pay a hosting provider rather than just keeping your servers in the office.

Hi Sparks,

Broadly speaking I agree with you but we have been consistent (and extremely open) with what we have been saying. Any minor inconsistencies are down to 'point in time' information gaps.

Our recovery this time wasn't as clean as we would have liked, and has highlighted some weaknesses in our shared hosting cluster and how it is architected, which we are working to rectify.

There are no excuses for the failures - we did some things well, we did some things badly and we learned a bit more. We are fairly unique in this country in that we are the only hosting provider (ISP's excepted) that run our own facilities and infrastructure, so our problems are always going to be 'bigger' than anyone elses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We are fairly unique in this country in that we are the only hosting provider (ISP's excepted) that run our own facilities and infrastructure, so our problems are always going to be 'bigger' than anyone elses.

There is Blacknight and there is the CIX too. Of course you are still "fairly unique" as you put it but you are not the only one all the same :p

I find that claims of 100% uptime by any hosting provider..bar the desperate... do not survive the SLA guarantee negotiations. Once you mention "compo" then the .999% figures get a mention :D

365 have good uptimes by industry standards but none of them have 100% uptimes as weird **** does indeed happen .

The aircon in anhy hosting facility is a single point of failure as well, is it not Steve. In exceptionally hot weather it can cascade out unless 100s of Kw of extra cooling are added.

• Advertisement

HI Sponge Bob,

Well, Blacknight dont run their own datacentre and CIX (while not open for business yet) is a datacentre selling colo (as opposed to a hosting provider).

No one claims 100% uptime - our SLA's cover a 100% guarantee, which we back up with cash compensation if we don't hit it.

Aircon isnt really a single point of failure as long as you have enough units and sufficient 'head room' for really hot weather spikes.

Advertisement